Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Exclamation Don't Waste Your Money: Disney Changes Fast Pass, some fans unhappy

Video news report: http://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/d...e-fans-unhappy

Quote:
Anyone who has visited Disney World in the past 15 years knows what a Fast Pass is.

It cuts your wait time for rides from an hour down to 10 minutes or less, and is essential on busy days for rides like Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Rockin Roller Coaster at Disney Studios, or Soarin at Epcot.

But Disney has just made a big change to its Fast Passes, and some fans are not sure they like it.

What is Changing

It is changing to a high tech Fast Pass "Plus" program, a new digital version that does away with paper passes.

It rolled out the Fast Pass+ at the Magic Kingdom on January 14th, 2014, and plans to add it to other parks in the coming weeks.

But some tourists who stay at condos or hotels off-site say it unfairly favors visitors who stay on-site.

How it works

Fast Pass+ allows reservations on up to 3 rides a day at the Magic Kingdom.

And if you stay in a Disney property, you can reserve rides 2 months or even longer in advance.

But off-site visitors cannot reserve a spot until they arrive at Rope Drop, which off-site hotel owners say is unfair.

The concern is that when people staying off-site arrive at the Magic Kingdom, the fast passes for Space Mountain or Big Thunder MountaIn Railroad could be sold out.

In addition, some fans say they like to choose their rides when they get to the park, depending on the weather, not a month in advance when they don't know if it will be hot and sunny or cool and rainy.

Some fans are expressing their unhappiness at online forums like Theme Park Insider.

Disney Defends Changes

Disney, though, says this will end the mad race to Fast Pass machines when the park opens (the Space Mountain Fast Pass machine is a favorite at Rope Drop).

Disney also says this will save time, as you will not have to visit a ride just to grab a pass.

In addition, Disney says there's no worry longer any worry about losing a Fast Pass paper ticket, a technology that was cutting edge in 1994 but now needs to change for changing times.

As always, don't waste your money.

Last edited by Rumors Rocks; 01-16-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
DSE
Earning My Ears

From the standpoint of someone who stays on-site, I think this is great. It's another benefit of staying at a Disney resort.

I also think from a business perspective, Disney can use this to their advantage. Push more people to thier hotels. Of course offsite hotels think it's unfair because they can't compete with it. Its a competitive advantage for the Disney Resorts.
DSE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
RicJ
Earning My Ears

Honestly? Of course it's ''unfair'' but it's a Disney system being applied with priority to people that use Disney resorts...

Their park, their system, their rules...

Disney can't really compete with lower prices of off site hotels, but of course they want to book their own places and make money on that... they need to offer something extra, and priority on Fast Passes seems like the golden ticket really.
RicJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But off-site visitors cannot reserve a spot until they arrive at Rope Drop, which off-site hotel owners say is unfair.
That's amusing.
I have sympathy for off-site guests, but for the hotel owners, not so much. It's a business.
Sunnywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

It is unfortunate for guest staying off-site, but I like that we (on-site guests) get an extra benefit from spending the extra money.
Not all the FP are taken by FP+, so it's not that different to before, they had to get FP- on the day they were in the park before FP+ arrived and they still have to now!

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnywho View Post
That's amusing.
I have sympathy for off-site guests, but for the hotel owners, not so much. It's a business.
Same here....
Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
rteetz
DIS Veteran

I don't get it why am I wasting my money....

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
Batstang2000
Earning My Ears

I am looking forward to using FP+ on our trip in May. If I thought I was wasting money, I guess I would have stopped going before my 18th trip...

May 2014 VWL - October 2013 SSR - June 2013 AKKV - October 2012 CBR - June 2012 BWV - June 2011 AKKV - November 2010 BC - June 2010 BCV - October 2009 CBR and Gaylord Palms - June 2009 AKV/Kidani Village - June 2008 VWL - June 2007 OKW - June 2006 Disney Wonder/SSR - June 2005 SSR - June 2004 VWL - June 2003 AKL - August 1997 Off Property - March 1980 Cocoa Beach
Batstang2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

I solved the problem for me.

I'm on vacation and go into slow mode. Leisurely walk the park and if I see a short line go on the ride. No short line? Well there is next time.

At my age I'm not into the charge of the light brigade anymore.

At one time there weren't fast passes and gosh we survived.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning View Post
I solved the problem for me. I'm on vacation and go into slow mode. Leisurely walk the park and if I see a short line go on the ride. No short line? Well there is next time. At my age I'm not into the charge of the light brigade anymore. At one time there weren't fast passes and gosh we survived.
exactly

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
disneydennis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning View Post
I solved the problem for me.

I'm on vacation and go into slow mode. Leisurely walk the park and if I see a short line go on the ride. No short line? Well there is next time.

At my age I'm not into the charge of the light brigade anymore.

At one time there weren't fast passes and gosh we survived.
Thank you! If only more people thought like you!
disneydennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

It makes sense for disney. It gives more value to staying at a disney hotel. I usually stay off site at some hotel that cost me 30 bucks but now with this , I probably will at least consider paying the 200 dollar a night value hotels lol because I have kids , if I was single I don't think I would but with small kids being able to reserve in advance 3 rides is nice . Wish you could do more rides though 5 or 6 would be great
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamarmiller View Post
It makes sense for disney. It gives more value to staying at a disney hotel. I usually stay off site at some hotel that cost me 30 bucks but now with this , I probably will at least consider paying the 200 dollar a night value hotels lol because I have kids , if I was single I don't think I would but with small kids being able to reserve in advance 3 rides is nice . Wish you could do more rides though 5 or 6 would be great
They'll have to give me more no entice than that for a $700 room
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #14
china mom
Mouseketeer

Off site guests have to pay for transportation to their hotel and can't use the free Magical Express - no fair!

Off site guests don't get to enter the park early or stay late for EMH - no fair!

Like I tell my kids... "sometimes, life ain't fair."
china mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #15
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

I think EMH should be everyday and at all parks everyday . If so that would interest me but the current system is just too restricting for me
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: