Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
VbChristy
Mouseketeer

Cruising in a week- need help!

I have the opportunity to cruise the Fantasy on the 8th. We are very much considering it- help!

I don't know much about the Disney cruises (except for the rotating dining rooms). Please tell me- what do I need to know??? We have a 9 month old. We will be in a veranda cabin. We are avid travelers and cruises (the baby has been on a cruise and to Disney twice already).

Is there really no evening buffet? What do you do if you cannot make it to dinner in her dining room. I am concerned about there late seating. (My baby currently goes to sleep around 7). We were told to try and get it changed to early but I'm guessing that nearly everyone does that.

Also on other ships we have been you could play with your child in the kids club- use their toys, even checkout their toys. Can you do that here? Do babies have to wear shoes on the pool deck?

Can you wear jeans in the dining room? How much is it to do laundry?

What else do I need to know. Thanks. (I am so unprepared!)
VbChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VbChristy View Post
I have the opportunity to cruise the Fantasy on the 8th. We are very much considering it- help!

I don't know much about the Disney cruises (except for the rotating dining rooms). Please tell me- what do I need to know??? We have a 9 month old. We will be in a veranda cabin. We are avid travelers and cruises (the baby has been on a cruise and to Disney twice already).

Is there really no evening buffet? What do you do if you cannot make it to dinner in her dining room. I am concerned about there late seating. (My baby currently goes to sleep around 7). We were told to try and get it changed to early but I'm guessing that nearly everyone does that.

Also on other ships we have been you could play with your child in the kids club- use their toys, even checkout their toys. Can you do that here? Do babies have to wear shoes on the pool deck?

Can you wear jeans in the dining room? How much is it to do laundry?

What else do I need to know. Thanks. (I am so unprepared!)
First of all, take a breath.

Now, Yes, the buffet area is a sit-down table service for dinner. It has a menu of selected items from the other menus available in the MDRs that evening. Also a carving station and salad bar. You can go there anytime during the dinner service hours. As to changing your dinner seating, did you request to be waitlisted for early seating? When you checkin at the port, your KTTW card will have your dinner seating (and table number). If you still have late seating, go to where the dining changes are being handled onboard (the Navigator you get in the terminal will tell you where this is) and ask to be changed to early seating. Failing that, the "buffet" for dinner is good, from what I read here, so no worries. You might also feed the little one before the late seating, and then put her in the nursery while you two have an adult-only meal.

There are Open House hours in the kid's clubs onboard (not sure about the nursery) where you may accompany your child in and play there. I don't think there is any toy check-out, though. Noone "has" to wear shoes on the pool deck, but it's a good idea, it's pretty slippery. One note, she won't be able to go in the pools if she's not potty trained (no diapers in the pools). But there is a splash area for those in swim diapers.

Yes, you may wear jeans in the dining room. The only "dress code" onboard DCL is "no swimwear or tank tops for dinner". Beyond that you will see pretty much everything.

Laundry prices in the self service laundry - $2.00 wash, $2.00 dry. Laundry soap $1.00

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
VbChristy
Mouseketeer

Yes I know. Deep breaths. Thanks . Thanks for all the helpful info. Now if I could just go to sleep so I can take care of my little one tomorrow. Ha ha
VbChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
Tinked
DIS Veteran

Traveled with my 10 month old grandson on the Dream in August and it was great! I made reservations for him to be in the nursery during our late seating dinners. The rate was something like $6 an hour, seemed cheap to me. The nursery people are of course great. He fell asleep in the nursery and one of us picked him up and I stayed with him in the room so that his parents could have adult time. Lots of fruit and yogurt on board for him to eat. Always food to be had and of course room service is free. Getting milk not a problem. Took him to dinner the first night and the servers were very disappointed when he didn't show the rest of the time. As always a big fuss is made over children and he ate it up. Splash area was fun for him too. He loved crescents with breakfast or any other meal. He wasn't crazy about the shows. We found out that they were kind of loud for him but if you brought him in after the show started it was quieter and he fell asleep. Really wanted him to do the Jack Jack baby crawl in the lobby but he just started crawling after we got off the ship. (Unlike his mother who was walking by 9 months.) Of course having a loving grandmother along helped make everything easier
Cruises: Wonder '05, 2/07/09 Western Caribbean on Magic, Wonder Bounce Back 9/24/09, Magic Eastern Caribbean 1/30/10, EBTA Bound for Barcelona 4/10/2010, 9/12/2010 Member Cruise, Aug. 23, 2011 Alaska, 6/10/12 Cruise to Canada, 6/15/12 Cruise to Nowhere
Future Cruises: 9/02/12 Cruise to Canada, 5/06/2013 WBPC, 8/25/13 Gayle's b-day cruise Dream
Tinked is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: