Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
QweetLP
Earning My Ears

Red face Disney Magic - Gratuities - Pre - Paid - How much??

Hi ,

I am new to the DIS discussion world and a first time Cruiser but most of all a first time Disney Cruiser. I see mentions of pre - paying your gratuities in advance. What is an average amount to pre-pay? We are a party of 3 - myself, DH, DD (age 9). We do plan to purchase alcohol beverages on board and our DD will drink a few soda's I'm sure.

Can we place a limit on beverage/snack charges on board for our DD?

Sorry if this question has been asked somewhere
QweetLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Sodas are included so you won't need to put a spending limit on that. EXCEPT when it comes through room service.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

Tips are $12/ person/ day. They are divided between your cabin steward and three dining servers. You can prepay by calling DCL and doing so or the tips are automatically added to your account onboard and paid for when you settle your account. Alcoholic drinks have a tip added when you purchase them. Soda is free at meals and at the self-serve station. They cost when you buy a can from room service or at a bar. You can choose to allow your DD to charge to your account (using your KTTW) or disallow charging but not put spending limits on their KTTW.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

DCL standard tips are $12/person/day. That includes your room host, dining room server, assistant server and head server who organizes your dining section and makes sure things go smoothly.

So $36 per day of your cruise. Sodas in the dining rooms and from the pool drink station are free as are snacks from the pool deck. Pre-packaged snacks like candy or popcorn are an extra fee, but really there is plenty of free stuff to eat.

Alcohol is extra, but includes an automatic tip when ordered from any of the bars.

You are free to increase any of these tips if you feel its warranted.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
bliscum
Mouseketeer

If you use he soda/ drink dispensers I would recommended bringing your refillable mug as the cups are very small. Also you can pre pay your gratuities if you wish either thru DCL or your TA. This is what I do so do not have worry about it.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
dancingswiffer
Goofy Lovin' Mama

Tips on a 3 night

Hi all!

This is my first DCL cruise. I haven't been on a cruise since 2000. That being said....

I understand pre-paid is 12 dollars per person per day. For the 3 of us in the room (me, Momma, and DD8) that would be 36 dollars a day. We are doing the 3 night on the Dream. How much will that come to in all? Do they charge you for the last day or just the 3 ones you are on board since you are only on board for few hours that day?

Thanks!

Me: Heather Mom: Nanna DD 8: Abigail

WDW 1985 WDW 1993 WDW 2012 (ANNUAL PASSES ROCK!) WDW 2013 Annual Passes AGAIN 2014/15!!! WDW STAR WARS weekend June 2014 WDW July 2014 Port Orleans Coming Soon: Dream in Dec 2014
dancingswiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingswiffer View Post
Hi all!

This is my first DCL cruise. I haven't been on a cruise since 2000. That being said....

I understand pre-paid is 12 dollars per person per day. For the 3 of us in the room (me, Momma, and DD8) that would be 36 dollars a day. We are doing the 3 night on the Dream. How much will that come to in all? Do they charge you for the last day or just the 3 ones you are on board since you are only on board for few hours that day?

Thanks!
3*12*3 = $108

Gratuities are charged per night.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
QweetLP
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by QweetLP View Post
Hi ,

I am new to the DIS discussion world and a first time Cruiser but most of all a first time Disney Cruiser. I see mentions of pre - paying your gratuities in advance. What is an average amount to pre-pay? We are a party of 3 - myself, DH, DD (age 9). We do plan to purchase alcohol beverages on board and our DD will drink a few soda's I'm sure.

Can we place a limit on beverage/snack charges on board for our DD?

Sorry if this question has been asked somewhere
Thank you for the answers. Appreciated.
QweetLP is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: