Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #16
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiebee View Post
How are they going to actually be working on this? Is it something they're doing at night or will the Hub just be closed down or will it just be done in small sections?
they will most likely be doing this in small sections. They have drained the moat already and will probably start with that and move along with it being done prior or in November of 2015.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #17
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paging Tom Morrow View Post
Thought I'd provide some perspective.

Before and After
Bloody Brilliant Mr. Morrow!!! Thanks!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #18
dgramling
Earning My Ears

I would see them doing small sections walling off parts of the outer hub and working on them, one area I find interesting and haven't seen too much conversation is the additional castle elements these are replacing the old ticket booths closest to the castle and being removed closest to main street. The castle booths contain lighting for the various stage shows. how will the lighting remain while the building is removed and replaced, plus it looks like the seating area that once housed the swan boat queue is being removed

dgramling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #19
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramling View Post
I would see them doing small sections walling off parts of the outer hub and working on them, one area I find interesting and haven't seen too much conversation is the additional castle elements these are replacing the old ticket booths closest to the castle and being removed closest to main street. The castle booths contain lighting for the various stage shows. how will the lighting remain while the building is removed and replaced, plus it looks like the seating area that once housed the swan boat queue is being removed
this has been mentioned in other threads I would assume Disney has a way where they won't have any problems. Disney Tokyo has the same castle elements and a very similar hub I think that's where some of the inspiration for this came.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #20
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Bloody Brilliant Mr. Morrow!!! Thanks!
My pleasure!
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012, 2014, 2015
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #21
pugdog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
From following the hub expansion on another board; the expansion of the hub will either change the slope down to the water making meeting ADA requirements nearly impossible, or it isn't ADA compliant presently and Disney will lose that area being ADA grandfathered, so the water front stuff will be remove altogether.
There is no grandfathered ADA thing going on when they do this much. ALL of it will have to meet ADA requirements now.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #22
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Where is the Partner's statue in the new plan? Have they moved it or is it just the way they have rendered the image?
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #23
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Where is the Partner's statue in the new plan? Have they moved it or is it just the way they have rendered the image?
It is going to remain there. I do not think they are brave enough to remove the statue. =)
Figmentforever24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #24
horse11
DIS Veteran

Ok I am just now hearing about the construction that will be done to the Hub. I am a bit confused. Will they be removing the water around the castle? When is they construction sceduled to start? We are going in May 2014. Any one know what we will be faced with in reguards to the construction to the Hub at that time? We were hoping to get a good family picture in front of the castle will this not be an option now?
horse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #25
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse11 View Post
Ok I am just now hearing about the construction that will be done to the Hub. I am a bit confused. Will they be removing the water around the castle? When is they construction sceduled to start? We are going in May 2014. Any one know what we will be faced with in reguards to the construction to the Hub at that time? We were hoping to get a good family picture in front of the castle will this not be an option now?
construction has already started the moats are drained and the swan boat dock is being removed. The only water that will be removed is the part closest to Main Street, no water that is directly surrounding the castle will be removed. The moats are all drained right now for routine maintenance and then the small sections that will be filled in. Most of the work done now and the next couple of months is work with the moat and the outer sections of the hub. The new parade starts tomorrow they are not going to shut down the whole hub at one time. I'm sure a lot of work will probably be done at night as well. You should still get a good picture with the castle as long as the crane is gone by then, I don't know they official date as to when that will be taken down. They were taking down the Christmas lights and than they are doing roof work on the castle.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #26
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmentforever24 View Post
It is going to remain there. I do not think they are brave enough to remove the statue. =)
Oh good! I hoped so, but they have made some pretty bold changes over the past year so I just can't put anything past them right now
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #27
jheltz27
Earning My Ears

Man this construction really upsets the wife and I. I just can't believe that the spot where I proposed to her in the rose garden is going to be gone forever. I just figured it would safely be there for good since it's so central to the park. I understand the reasoning for it but doesn't take some of the pain and disappointment out. Glad we at least got to show our kids on our last trip where it happened.

jheltz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #28
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheltz27 View Post
Man this construction really upsets the wife and I. I just can't believe that the spot where I proposed to her in the rose garden is going to be gone forever. I just figured it would safely be there for good since it's so central to the park. I understand the reasoning for it but doesn't take some of the pain and disappointment out. Glad we at least got to show our kids on our last trip where it happened.
Just get the gps coordinates on your phone-- It may look different, but the spot will still be there! lol.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #29
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Are there trees currently in the hub surrounding the Walt Disney statue? In the video you see trees, but are there some now. For some reason I keep telling myself no, but I feel like there are trees. I mean it is not a big deal but I was curios.
Figmentforever24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #30
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

Is their an end date for the construction?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: