Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #76
Disney before Sally
Mouseketeer

I have fitbit flex and five different color bands.

I have found that within ten pounds of your weight, or if you want to lose even though you are in normal range BMI, that you need a faster metabolism. I eat five times a day, about 300 calories each time. I shoot for high protein and high fiber. I eat eggs, oatmeal, apples, chicken breast, Greek yogurt, salads with minimal dressing@ 15 calories per tablespoon serving. For the main entrees, i use nutrisystem.

When i plateaued near my ideal weight- it took exercise in the endurance type. I currently walk 5 miles or 10000 steps a day. I do not run because i do not want to hurt my knees and have a lower quality of life in older ages.

I see, read, hear so many stories about women running and other strenuous exercising and they do not like their results. So, I would rather take longer to get my calories burned and I have found that I am very pleased with my results.

Disney before Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #77
disneymom1229
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney before Sally View Post
I have fitbit flex and five different color bands.

I have found that within ten pounds of your weight, or if you want to lose even though you are in normal range BMI, that you need a faster metabolism. I eat five times a day, about 300 calories each time. I shoot for high protein and high fiber. I eat eggs, oatmeal, apples, chicken breast, Greek yogurt, salads with minimal dressing@ 15 calories per tablespoon serving. For the main entrees, i use nutrisystem.

When i plateaued near my ideal weight- it took exercise in the endurance type. I currently walk 5 miles or 10000 steps a day. I do not run because i do not want to hurt my knees and have a lower quality of life in older ages.

I see, read, hear so many stories about women running and other strenuous exercising and they do not like their results. So, I would rather take longer to get my calories burned and I have found that I am very pleased with my results.
I am in the same boat. I tried to do couch to 5k last spring and found that it was not for me. I would feel so light headed and my knees would hurt, so I stick to walking too. Even though I have to walk twice as long to burn the calories, I am ok with that. I wish I was able to run, but for me it isn't worth it.

What will you Celebrate?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
disneymom1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #78
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
I'm drinking water right now! If you read this, grab a glass and join me!
Will do...thanks!

I did WW a couple years ago and here are some lifestyle changes that I learned to make (and have since slipped away from...time to get back to it):

1- don't drink your calories (so, water water water...and I do unsweet tea and coffee with splenda though I have heard that fake sweeteners can cause you to gain weight too, so moderation)
2- no eating after 7pm
3- small portions (what I did was take 2 full meals and break them up throughout the day and that's all I'd eat...salad here, fruit there, meat something here, side type thing there...eating 1 thing at a time- several times throughout the day). And if I'd go out for a meal, I'd never finish the entire plate.
4- I allowed for 1 splurge day a week where I might eat that cupcake...or a burger (burgers are my tough thing to give up)...or get a cocktail. My splurge day was always a weekend day.
5- choose lots of raw diet type things (raw veges, fruit, nuts...)...and poultry and seafood. Minimize sugar intake.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 03-01-2014 at 12:03 PM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #79
Pikester
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMom1981 View Post
Explain how you make your stir fry? Broth?

Also, how do you roast the veggies?

Thanks for the great ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
This is how I make my idea of Stir Fry. I'm kitchen challenged so not the best cook but my DH likes it.

A large deep skillet, I add a little canola oil if I'm cooking chicken, then add the cubed chicken. Cook through then I add frozen veggies and cook until it's all warmed through. Not a lot of fresh veggies here right now and I've read frozen are the next best thing. If I'm just doing veggies then I just spray oil the pan.

Roasting veggies: I pre heat oven to 400. Spray cooking oil in a roasting pan. Cut up assorted fresh veggies. Carrots, summer squash, whatever you like. Drizzle with canola oil and sprinkle with spices. Stir to coat. Put pan in oven and cook for about 30 minutes or until veggies are cooked through. Stir a few times during the 30 minutes. You can do the same thing with just potatoes which I do quite often.

Let me know if I left anything out.

Another thing I've been doing is buying a big container of nonfat yogurt. I scoop out a 1/4 of a cup, cut up some fresh strawberries and add that too it and then 2T of Special K lowfat granola. Makes that 1/4 seem much bigger. I also eat it out of a small berry bowl so it seems like a lot.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #80
Pikester
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom1229 View Post
This is me too. I try not to tell myself I can't eat stuff, just makes me want it more. But I did buy a cheap kitchen scale and if I am not sure if I am portioning something correctly, I just weigh it. Once I can see how much something weighs, it is easier to judge when I am not at home and trying to stick to a portion size. I know this sounds a little extreme, but I really needed help with my portion control.

I also love putting lemon and lime slices in my water. Not sure if it is true, but someone told me that doing that helps to boost metabolism. Just an added bonus to better tasting water!!!
I have a scale here too.

I've heard the same thing about lemon and lime slices.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #81
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikester View Post
This is how I make my idea of Stir Fry. I'm kitchen challenged so not the best cook but my DH likes it. A large deep skillet, I add a little canola oil if I'm cooking chicken, then add the cubed chicken. Cook through then I add frozen veggies and cook until it's all warmed through. Not a lot of fresh veggies here right now and I've read frozen are the next best thing. If I'm just doing veggies then I just spray oil the pan. Roasting veggies: I pre heat oven to 400. Spray cooking oil in a roasting pan. Cut up assorted fresh veggies. Carrots, summer squash, whatever you like. Drizzle with canola oil and sprinkle with spices. Stir to coat. Put pan in oven and cook for about 30 minutes or until veggies are cooked through. Stir a few times during the 30 minutes. You can do the same thing with just potatoes which I do quite often. Let me know if I left anything out. Another thing I've been doing is buying a big container of nonfat yogurt. I scoop out a 1/4 of a cup, cut up some fresh strawberries and add that too it and then 2T of Special K lowfat granola. Makes that 1/4 seem much bigger. I also eat it out of a small berry bowl so it seems like a lot.
Thanks! I use mostly frozen veggies too!

Pre -Trip Report for August 2014 (In progress)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
DisMom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #82
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Made it...

I had a good eating day!!!

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 03-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #83
disneygrl704
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMom1981 View Post
I had a good eating day!!!
Good job! I wish I could say the same, I will do better tomorrow!
disneygrl704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #84
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygrl704 View Post
Yes! You will!

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 03-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #85
hforman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. M. Mouse View Post
I have a treadmill here at home and keep saying yeah I'll do that but then when we finish our activities for the day after work there's very little motivation left! Can anyone else relate???
Definitely. I have a stationery bike collecting dust. I'd be happy to lose 10lbs. so I could finally weigh less than I did when I was 9 months pregnant!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #86
digiMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygrl704 View Post
I didn't have a great day either. Lunch wasn't great and dinner was .. Urgh Im actually a little embarrassed by it. But we're gonna look at the positives! I finally had a good breakfast (an oatmeal thingy instead of a pop tart ), and I went to a movie and only had one pretzel bite. And I worked out. Is there anything positive you did yesterday? Let's focus on that! Plus it's the start if a new day!

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Jan 2012 POP | Oct 2010 POP | Jan 2006 ASSp | Sept 1992 Off Site (Honeymoon) | Poly and CR in the 70s as a kid
"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walter Elias Disney
digiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #87
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccam31 View Post
Now that I know you made it, I'm even more impressed! It's beautiful.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiMom View Post
So I finally have time to sit down and introduce myself. There's so much I could write, but I'll keep it brief. (-ish)

I'd like to lose somewhere around 20-40 pounds (OK, upper number is eventually) and go down 2-3 dress sizes. But really I want to feel better. I've had some health issues over the past few years, and I really think getting some weight off will help me with those alot.

I usually go "all out" when I start and try to do everything right. And I keep it up for a while too. But then life and stress etc comes into the picture and things slowly go back to where I started habit-wise, which a little while later gets me back to where I was body-wise. So I'm going to approach this a little different this time. (You know what they say: the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.) I'm going to make weekly goals and add on to my previous ones. I'm a control freak and will probably try to do more than just my 1-2 goals, but I hoping as my motivation slacks off, just focusing on a few things will get me over the hump.

I'm also going to be kind to myself. I haven't felt well for about a year or so. I think if I start like I'm battling myself into submission, it's just not going to work. I'm 45 and I really need to work with myself instead of against it.

So this week my main goal is to get my morning down. I'm lucky enough to have a chunk of time between when my kids go to school and I leave for work. So I'll be doing an old walk fit video I have (about 30 minutes) and when it gets warm enough (will this winter ever be over?) transfer that over to a walk with the dog. I also need to figure out what I'm going to eat for breakfast. In the summer/fall I was making smoothies and that worked out really well. I used coconut milk, chia seeds, rice protein powder, and a variety of fruits, berries and even spinach depending on what I was in the mood for. And I felt really good with that. But I just can't drink a cold drink in the morning until it gets a little warmer. So I gotta figure out an alternative until it warms up a little. Hmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinaxo View Post
That actually sounds good! I am horrible at tracking/calorie counting! Im going to look into it, thank you!

I also want to work more on how my body FEELS and how I FEEL about my body, more than shedding the pounds. I tend to beat myself up quite a bit because Im also an "all in" type of girl. I do really well and feel great and then life gets in the way and Easy becomes the best way. and more than anything thats what I want to change! It will only be beneficial to the rest of my family because Mama Bear usually leads the pack

Anyways, my goals this week are to drink much more water. I am not a sugary drinks person, only soda I can tolerate is ginger ale, but I can go hours without drinking anything at all. I am setting reminders to my phone every hour to drink water! Hopefully it will help! Lol my second goal is to start taking the stairs at work, school, etc. Sometimes its hard for me because I like to wear makeup and its the worst getting all oily in the face but it will have to do!

I love this thread already!!!!!
I was always approaching my "dieting" much the same way... I posted a little bit about this in my PTR this morning - so I thought I would copy and paste my reply here too, since it fits - hope you all don't mind.

I feel like I am constantly analyzing this, and trying to find the solution. The best I have come up with is this... Any other time I've lost weight, I have done it with the recommendations of Conventional Wisdom... So, I cut calories (sometimes drastically) and do excess cardio. I do this for as long as my body will sustain this way of life - usually it's about 4-5 months... And usually I can lose a good 50 lbs in that time. But once I hit that 4-5 month mark... I am STARVING - after months of not eating properly - and I am HUNGRY... So, I eat, eat, eat... and eat some more... Phew - no longer hungry - but I am eating too much... So I gain, gain, gain and feel sorry for myself - but I am hungry. Before I know it - it's all back on... And I feel so guilty for losing control and I get down on myself. Before I know it - I've gained even more. I don't want to work out, because I am still exhausted, but now I have all this excess weight on top of it all. It's a vicious cycle - it truly is.

So, then I went looking everywhere to find the answers... How can I lose weight by eating as much as possible? How can I excercise with the least amount of TIME effort? Because this time, I wanted my losses to be maintainable... EVERYONE says they are doing a "lifestyle change" - but the lifestyle they are trying to change to, is not maintainable for the duration of the rest of their lives. If a person has to have "cheat days" to get through their new "lifestyle" - then it's not really a lifestyle change...

Which brought me on this never-ending quest to find the answers for me - which would fit my life and how I live it... Essentially - I didn't want to change my lifestyle, I wanted my new "lifestyle" to fit who I truly was, and I wanted to achieve it with very little effort. And that's how I found the Primal way of eating...

I LOVE meat - I always have... In my previous lifestyle changes - I've always felt encouraged to eat as little lean meat as possible... It was awful! Now, I get to eat as much meat as I want to... LURVE meat! In previousl lifestyle changes, I've been encouraged to eat as many steamed veggies covered in chemical imitation butter products - YUCK! Now, I eat roasted vegetables fried in (all natural) bacon grease or butter - YUMMY! In previous lifestyle changes, I was encouraged to eat "boxed fiber bars" and the like - with God only knows what in them... Now, I make my own - and WOW are they yummy - I do not miss those bars in a box one little bit. I just love, love, love this food... I love making it, I love eating it, it tastes wonderful, and my body loves it. It's all natural - there are no chemicals in it, my food doesn't come from a box, can or jar and I don't feel guilty ever. I don't have cheat days, I don't need cheat days... Because who wants to cheat with eating chemically laden food out of a box, when I can eat the real thing? It tastes waaaay better.

So, is this truly a "lifestyle change" - yes, I think so. Can I truly eat this way for the rest of my life and enjoy it. Yes, I can. Do I want to? Yes, I do. I think, when you find the lifestyle that fits how you want to live your life and how you enjoy living your life, then it's really not a lifestyle change any more, it's living in harmony with yourself.

OK - sorry for the huge long reply - and I hope I didn't sound rude - I am just so passionate about truly finding what works for you... and when that is found, only then, can it be sustainable.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #88
rebeccam31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiMom View Post
I didn't have a great day either. Lunch wasn't great and dinner was .. Urgh Im actually a little embarrassed by it. But we're gonna look at the positives! I finally had a good breakfast (an oatmeal thingy instead of a pop tart ), and I went to a movie and only had one pretzel bite. And I worked out. Is there anything positive you did yesterday? Let's focus on that! Plus it's the start if a new day!
Well, yesterday was a dinner-out-and-theater day, and despite eating at a FANTASTIC restaurant (and eating a good bit there), I came in under my recommended calories. I did walk uphill on the treadmill for 60 minutes before I left for the city. So I'm proud I didn't let the day just go to heck because I had fun plans.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #89
seenellie81
Mouseketeer

Well yesterday was not the greatest day for me i totally went off track. Today is a different day and i am going to follow through the whole day. Weekends can be tough for me. I plan ahead for the week so thats easy, maybe i need to plan for the weekends too. Dont really know why i dont. Either way todays a different day, And i am back at it!
Old 03-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #90
digiMom
DIS Veteran

The most fantastic, magical things can happen, and it all starts with a wish.

~Jiminy Cricket from Pinocchio.

This is a great article about stress and losing weight:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/c...se-weight-gain

Do something good for yourself today that reduces your stress!

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Jan 2012 POP | Oct 2010 POP | Jan 2006 ASSp | Sept 1992 Off Site (Honeymoon) | Poly and CR in the 70s as a kid
"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walter Elias Disney
digiMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: