Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
snowangel72
Mouseketeer

Question Couch to 5K. Just starting, anyone like to join me?

I am doing the Neon Vibe colour run in August so I need to start a C25K program. Anyone one to do it with me?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Psychodisney
DIS Veteran

I've been working on counc to 5K since early April. It has taken me longer to get past each week. I've never been a runner.....hardest thing for me. I'm finally up to the end of week 5. My pace is slow but today I was able to run for 8 minutes straight. Might not seem like a big deal but it is for me.
The nice thing about the app is you do take it slow and progress slow. Less likely to get injured.
Psychodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
GrandAdmiralStrife
DisDad #744

I'm about to get started on this. I used to be able to walk everywhere, sometimes up to 10 miles a day, then I realized that was over 10 years ago. I'm 41 and about 70 lbs overweight, and I so need to get back to where I was.
COMING SOON: WDW AUG 2014 Trip Report
next trip: March 2018 All Star Sports

GrandAdmiralStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Psychodisney
DIS Veteran

Take it slow. Maybe just start walking before you do the program until you can do 30 minutes walking. You don't want any injuries!! I just signed up for my firs 5K in 22 years. I'm on week 7 but it really has taken me more like 10-11 weeks to get there.
Psychodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
pikaboo27
I knew I could count on you!

I'm on week 4 of c25k. I'm training to do the Star Wars 10k in January. I used to run about 4 years ago, but I did a stupid trail 5k and injured my shins. The real bummer is that I had signed up for the Princess Half Marathon and was just in too much pain to do it. I'm finally able to run without pain so I am really excited. My dream is to do the Princess half marathon in 2016. I want that tiara medal, darn it!

Right now i'm signed up for the Star Wars 10k, then I'm planning to sign up for the Tinkerbell Half in August.

pikaboo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
purplekicks
Mouseketeer

Im on week 2. I feel like I need to do week one again because I dont feel like I mastered it. Im struggling to run for 90 seconds.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:43 AM   #7
GrandAdmiralStrife
DisDad #744

*sigh* Right now my plan was to do a local 5K in December, but now that I know runDisney Legacy is considered having done one particular run since the beginning, I am sorely tempted to sign up for the Star Wars Half Marathon. *sigh* I really can't justify the expense in going to DL next January just for one race and a shot at Legacy when a) it's a big jump going from 5K to Half Marathon, and b)I really can't afford to go, as I'm taking the family to WDW in August, and that's our big trip for 2 years. Aiming for going Coast to Coast in Jan 16.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Couch-to-5K graduate here. Stick with it, everyone!! You can do it!

Suggestion for all of you (and some of you probably already have done this) - make sure you go to a running store to get fitted for a pair of running shoes. It will help so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychodisney View Post
I've been working on counc to 5K since early April. It has taken me longer to get past each week. I've never been a runner.....hardest thing for me. I'm finally up to the end of week 5. My pace is slow but today I was able to run for 8 minutes straight. Might not seem like a big deal but it is for me.
The nice thing about the app is you do take it slow and progress slow. Less likely to get injured.
That is awesome. Congratulations!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychodisney View Post
Take it slow. Maybe just start walking before you do the program until you can do 30 minutes walking. You don't want any injuries!! I just signed up for my firs 5K in 22 years. I'm on week 7 but it really has taken me more like 10-11 weeks to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplekicks View Post
Im on week 2. I feel like I need to do week one again because I dont feel like I mastered it. Im struggling to run for 90 seconds.
I think a lot of people repeat weeks when they don't feel ready to move on to the next one...I know I did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAdmiralStrife View Post
*sigh* Right now my plan was to do a local 5K in December, but now that I know runDisney Legacy is considered having done one particular run since the beginning, I am sorely tempted to sign up for the Star Wars Half Marathon. *sigh* I really can't justify the expense in going to DL next January just for one race and a shot at Legacy when a) it's a big jump going from 5K to Half Marathon, and b)I really can't afford to go, as I'm taking the family to WDW in August, and that's our big trip for 2 years. Aiming for going Coast to Coast in Jan 16.
I'm sorry, but the Star Wars Half Marathon has sold out for 2015, so you won't have a chance to be legacy for that one.

You're right that 5K to half marathon is a big jump, but it would be a great goal for you in 2016! And just an FYI on Coast-to-Coast...your races have to be in the same calendar year to count.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
Zoesmama03
DIS Veteran

I want to build up to it but afraid at 320 lbs I'd get injured so will start with a walk/speed walk. I'm trying to increase my fitness for a trek up to Mount Rushmore in August. In Oct may do a color run type run with my daughter but it would be more walking than anything I'm sure. She wants to do track and field but the club is almost done with this year so we will save for next years annual dues for her.

I'll be starting but will probably be more walking/speed walking than walk/running combo.

I did my own version of couch to 5K but wasn't concentrated on a certain mile mark but just a walk/jog program. It was a good 15+ years ago. I worked up to running 10 minutes straight once but never recorded and don't recall my mileage for that run. I did good though and only issue I had was shin splints. I was also 100 lbs or so less than I am now.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Zoesmama03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplekicks View Post
Don't hesitate to repeat as needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoesmama03 View Post
I want to build up to it but afraid at 320 lbs I'd get injured so will start with a walk/speed walk. I'm trying to increase my fitness for a trek up to Mount Rushmore in August. In Oct may do a color run type run with my daughter but it would be more walking than anything I'm sure. She wants to do track and field but the club is almost done with this year so we will save for next years annual dues for her. I'll be starting but will probably be more walking/speed walking than walk/running combo. I did my own version of couch to 5K but wasn't concentrated on a certain mile mark but just a walk/jog program. It was a good 15+ years ago. I worked up to running 10 minutes straight once but never recorded and don't recall my mileage for that run. I did good though and only issue I had was shin splints. I was also 100 lbs or so less than I am now.
Do what you need to do to keep yourself in injured. DH has more weight than you, got self-competitive while doing the program, and hurt his Achilles. Went to a doctor who turned out to have a hard time with people of size, got lousy service and advice, and still hurts over a year later. Even if you got a good doctor, you don't want to need that doctor. . So keep yourself safe!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #11
GrandAdmiralStrife
DisDad #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
I'm sorry, but the Star Wars Half Marathon has sold out for 2015, so you won't have a chance to be legacy for that one.

You're right that 5K to half marathon is a big jump, but it would be a great goal for you in 2016! And just an FYI on Coast-to-Coast...your races have to be in the same calendar year to count.
Did some looking around, and yes, while individual registrations are sold out, you can still get in thru charity organizations. I might go thru Alex's Lemonade Stand's Team Lemon for the Rebel Challenge. I'll need to fundraise $1800 for the charity, but I need to get more info first (i.e., when do they need the money by, how much up front, etc). Plus I'd need to arrange funds for me getting out there to begin with

Old 01-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
TAngel84
Earning My Ears

I'm just start this program as well. My ultimate goal is get healthy and to run the Princess 5k & 10 in 2016.
TAngel84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: