Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
teamdusty
Earning My Ears

Disney Dream Make a Wish cruise

Hi everyone! I have been going through these forums and I am still in need of help. We will be first time cruisers. My son Dusty (age 3) received his Make a Wish and we are at a loss as to what to do. We set sail June 8 for a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas and Castaway Cay. What is there to do that is age appropriate for Dusty and his older Brother Gary (age 5)? We wanted to explore Atlantis but the price is a little to high. At Castaway Cay we were going to rent a cabana because Dusty gets tired real easy but they are also way to expensive for just one day. MAW is giving us $125 per person for in shore excursions but as I have said we have never cruised before. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also what should we bring far as clothing? Formal wear or casual?

Thank you Kim Doyle
TEAM DUSTY
teamdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdusty View Post
Hi everyone! I have been going through these forums and I am still in need of help. We will be first time cruisers. My son Dusty (age 3) received his Make a Wish and we are at a loss as to what to do. We set sail June 8 for a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas and Castaway Cay. What is there to do that is age appropriate for Dusty and his older Brother Gary (age 5)?

The boys will love the Oceaneer's Club and Lab. You can either drop them off (if Dusty is potty trained) or you can explore them as a family during their open house hours. The ship also has two pools they can use, first-run Disney company films, character meet & greets and lots of family activities.

We wanted to explore Atlantis but the price is a little to high.

You can book a room at the Comfort Inn near Atlantis and get full access to the entire Atlantis property. You need never go to your Comfort Inn room. Just check in and then head over to Atlantis to pick up your wristbands. It would be much cheaper than Disney's excursion.

At Castaway Cay we were going to rent a cabana because Dusty gets tired real easy but they are also way to expensive for just one day.

If the cabanas are too expensive, I would suggest staking out a spot near the back of the family beach near the foliage. It is a bit quieter back there and Dusty should be able to sleep if he needs a nap.

MAW is giving us $125 per person for in shore excursions but as I have said we have never cruised before.

If the cabana is important to you the $125 per person should cover one. Then you could use it as your base and enjoy the day there. Since your kids are so young I think this would be the way I would go as Castaway Cay is easily enjoyed with no formal excursions. There is plenty to do there without spending a penny.

The $125 per person should also cover the day room at the Comfort Inn near Atlantis...as long as the excursion does not need to be booked through Disney. If it does you will have to go with something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also what should we bring far as clothing? Formal wear or casual?

You will not need formalwear on a 4-night cruise as there is no formal night. There is a semi-formal, "dress up" night but you will see plenty of people in casual clothes. Bring what you feel comfortable wearing.

Thank you Kim Doyle
TEAM DUSTY
Hope that helps!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
sweetpeakaris
DIS Veteran

Previous poster gave great info!

Unless things have changed, Make a Wish gave us a check for excursions, tips, spending money, etc. in addition to paying for entire trip. We were a family of 6, did 3 nights at Disney & 4 night cruise, the check was more than what we needed to have a great vacation. You may be able to book a cabana & any extras you wish. They sent us a box full of stuff with a check about a week or two before departure.

sweetpeakaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: