Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #76
DVC Grandpa
DVC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Milwaukee WI Area
Posts: 852

I would like the Disney Cast members to ask those smoking outside of the designated smoking areas to conform to the smoking guidelines. I have noticed that the cast members just walk past the smokers without acknowledging anything wrong. Just try to stand outside the ropes when the parade is coming. See how long it takes for a cast member to say something.
__________________


Oct 2013 BCV, Feb 2013 BCV, Jan 2013 VBV, Nov 2011 BCV, Jan 2011 SSR, Jan 2011 BCV, Oct 2009 BCV, Feb 2009 BCV, Feb 2009 Riverside, Nov 2007 BCV, Feb 2007 BCV, 2005 BCV, 2004 BCV, 2004 Port Orleans – Riverside, 2003 BCV, 2002 Hilton Head, 2002 BCV, 2001 Dixie Landings, 1999 Dixie Landings, 1997 Dixie Landings, 1996 Dixie Landings, 1991 Port Orleans, 1987 Off site, 1983 Off site
DVC Grandpa is offline  
Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #77
Tramp68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saugerties, NY
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Grandpa View Post
I would like the Disney Cast members to ask those smoking outside of the designated smoking areas to conform to the smoking guidelines. I have noticed that the cast members just walk past the smokers without acknowledging anything wrong. Just try to stand outside the ropes when the parade is coming. See how long it takes for a cast member to say something.
Spot on
__________________
Tramp68
OKW August 1997
BWV/OKW July 2000
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #78
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran
 
Figmentforever24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Palm Beach Fl
Posts: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Grandpa View Post
I would like the Disney Cast members to ask those smoking outside of the designated smoking areas to conform to the smoking guidelines. I have noticed that the cast members just walk past the smokers without acknowledging anything wrong. Just try to stand outside the ropes when the parade is coming. See how long it takes for a cast member to say something.
Is there really a big problem with people smoking out of the designated areas? I didn't realize so many people were doing it. I cant believe I didn't notice. I know I might get some fire for this but if you are comfortable to break the rules like that you need to be asked to leave the park. Or if they do not want to get people to upset give a warning then escort them out if they do it again. Overall people should just stay in the area made for smoking.
Figmentforever24 is offline  
Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #79
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney
 
sjs314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 10,045

As a former smoker I would be extremely happy if smoking were to be banned or perhaps Disney could build a few indoor smoking lounges in the parks as having to walk by or through the current smoking areas bothers many guests including myself. I have Asthma and COPD from Smokeing I wish I had listened to all the warnings years ago.
__________________
'89 & '90- Travelodge-Hotel Plaza Blvd,'92 & '93- POFQ,'94-YC,'95 & '96-WL,'97-CSR,'06-AKL,'07-Disneyland Hotel,'09-OKW,F&G '12-BWI,MVMCP '12-BWI,F&W '13-AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline  
Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #80
jbish
Mouseketeer
 
jbish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
People that smoke pay just as much to get into the parks and should have a right to smoke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyChix View Post
Being a non smoker I'm quick to want to say yes. However, even smokers have rights.
Sure, everyone has rights. But being a smoker is not a federally protected thing like religious freedom. WDW is a private institution and they set their own rules. I really don't understand when people say "smokers have rights." People have a "right" to wear whatever they want - but when they walk through the gates of WDW, they must adhere to a dress code and can't wear skimpy or offensive clothing. People have a "right" to own coolers. But you can't bring them into the parks if they are of a certain size.

As a non-smoker, I would love it if smoking was banned. I was taken aback just this past Friday evening when I walked by the smoking area in Epcot. I didn't realize it was there but I certainly smelled it. And then I saw it was in a designated area, so I just moving on. But Disney is accommodating of most of its guests so I'm okay with a designated area, as long as other guests don't ever have to come in contact with the secondhand smoke. Disney is a family-friendly environment. I appreciate that they don't allow for certain things that could affect my kids, like offensive clothing/behavior. Personally, I would prefer it if my kids don't see smokers out and about (i.e. I would not be a fan of allowing e-cigs around in the park).

I think there can be improvements to the smoking areas so that it doesn't impede on other guests. But please don't say they have a "right" to smoke at WDW. That's a bit of a stretch, IMO.
__________________
Me (38 - 10 visits and counting) DH (39) DD (7) DS (4) DS (4)

DVC (BLT)
Last trip: 11/2013 with the family and quick trip 2/2014 for PHM
jbish is offline  
Old 02-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #81
Tramp68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saugerties, NY
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmentforever24 View Post
Is there really a big problem with people smoking out of the designated areas? I didn't realize so many people were doing it. I cant believe I didn't notice. I know I might get some fire for this but if you are comfortable to break the rules like that you need to be asked to leave the park. Or if they do not want to get people to upset give a warning then escort them out if they do it again. Overall people should just stay in the area made for smoking.
I wouldn't call rule breakers a BIG problem, but it does happen. Unfortunately I think a vast majority of the rule breakers are very beligerent when asked not to smoke there...

I really think the BIG problem is that some of the smoking areas are in inappropriate and unavoidable places.

The other issue is that many of the places are not well marked. This leads to the very unpleasant experience of inadvertantly walking through the area and being accosted by "the cloud" Roping off the area with the exception of a smaller entry would help, so would better signs. (Of course paying attention to where you are going helps, but many have found their noses in a map **another discussion**)

Then there are those that think it is an inappropriate place for any smoking, like at kids athletic field events.
__________________
Tramp68
OKW August 1997
BWV/OKW July 2000
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline  
Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #82
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%
 
Horace Horsecollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wiseacre Farm
Posts: 7,255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmentforever24 View Post
Is there really a big problem with people smoking out of the designated areas?
I've seen seen it (and smelled it). It's not a "big problem," but it happens. For example, it's annoying to be walking around World Showcase Lagoon and find yourself behind someone smoking. I usually just speed up and get away from the smoke, but it really should not ever be necessary.

In some cases, it might be due to smokers who choose to ignore the rules. More often, I bet it's due to guests who aren't aware of the rules. Although the Guidemaps explain the smoking policy, how may guests thoroughly read the Guidemaps before exploring exploring the parks?

I've seen cast members politely direct guests who are smoking where they shouldn't be to designated smoking areas.

Perhaps the parks should have obvious notices at the entrances.
__________________
** Horace Horsecollar **
Horace Horsecollar is online now  
Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #83
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran
 
Figmentforever24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Palm Beach Fl
Posts: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post
I wouldn't call rule breakers a BIG problem, but it does happen. Unfortunately I think a vast majority of the rule breakers are very beligerent when asked not to smoke there...

I really think the BIG problem is that some of the smoking areas are in inappropriate and unavoidable places.

The other issue is that many of the places are not well marked. This leads to the very unpleasant experience of inadvertantly walking through the area and being accosted by "the cloud" Roping off the area with the exception of a smaller entry would help, so would better signs. (Of course paying attention to where you are going helps, but many have found their noses in a map **another discussion**)

Then there are those that think it is an inappropriate place for any smoking, like at kids athletic field events.
You know I have always HATED the smoking area between the Imagination pavilion and The Land. Like it is right there in the pathway between the two. So I can see where they need to better advertise the smoking areas and place them in areas more out of the way. It might be more of a hassle for them, but they should be willing to sacrifice if they want to smoke. I wouldn't go as far as say to ban it since Disney would probably never hear the end of it. You know some sort of lawsuit would follow saying it is there "right" to smoke even though Disney ultimately makes the decision.
Figmentforever24 is offline  
Old 02-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #84
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran
 
Figmentforever24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Palm Beach Fl
Posts: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
I've seen seen it (and smelled it). It's not a "big problem," but it happens. For example, it's annoying to be walking around World Showcase Lagoon and find yourself behind someone smoking. I usually just speed up and get away from the smoke, but it really should not ever be necessary.

In some cases, it might be due to smokers who choose to ignore the rules. More often, I bet it's due to guests who aren't aware of the rules. Although the Guidemaps explain the smoking policy, how may guests thoroughly read the Guidemaps before exploring exploring the parks?

I've seen cast members politely direct guests who are smoking where they shouldn't be to designated smoking areas.

Perhaps the parks should have obvious notices at the entrances.
I think more signs are a good idea, but then you will always have those guest who will smoke out of the designated areas, and then claim they didn't see the signs even though they clearly did. I imagine nothing will ultimately be done unless it gets really bad then Disney will just ban it all together. I am not a smoker so the ban wouldn't hurt me, but like I said a ban would be a lawsuit just waiting to happen.
Figmentforever24 is offline  
Old 02-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #85
jcota
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KC
Posts: 94

take off eh?

I am a former smoker. When I did smoke, I simply did not take my cigarettes into the park. If you have a beef with those who are simply abiding by the rules of the park and those who are using the designated smoking locations so that they don't pollute the rest of the Disney air don't go around the area.

I kinda have to laugh at the comments. some people truly have no idea about addiction. It is funny to read their comments like they are the holier than thou and they have never done anything wrong.

With the comments about all of the cancer causing elements...why not ban the sun because it causes skin cancer?? LOL I am sure someone will respond to this but hey, this is my entertainment purposes so flame away!!
jcota is offline  
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #86
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran
 
Figmentforever24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Palm Beach Fl
Posts: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcota View Post
I am a former smoker. When I did smoke, I simply did not take my cigarettes into the park. If you have a beef with those who are simply abiding by the rules of the park and those who are using the designated smoking locations so that they don't pollute the rest of the Disney air don't go around the area.

I kinda have to laugh at the comments. some people truly have no idea about addiction. It is funny to read their comments like they are the holier than thou and they have never done anything wrong.

With the comments about all of the cancer causing elements...why not ban the sun because it causes skin cancer?? LOL I am sure someone will respond to this but hey, this is my entertainment purposes so flame away!!
No one has a beef with any of the smokers who follow the rules...or at least I don't. We are just saying that people clearly break the rules about smoking and they don't care about it. I don't think I am better then smokers but I do know that when I pay and take kids I shouldn't have to let them be around cigarette smoke. People who smoke need to smoke in the areas made for them. Those who do smoke in the right areas I don't have a problem with. But to assume people are trying to act better then you is a little far fetched. I understand addiction about as good as anybody. Maybe it wasn't to cigarettes but I have had my share of addictions. Don't get mad at people for voicing their opinions.
Figmentforever24 is offline  
Old 02-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #87
Tramp68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saugerties, NY
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmentforever24 View Post
I think more signs are a good idea, but then you will always have those guest who will smoke out of the designated areas, and then claim they didn't see the signs even though they clearly did. I imagine nothing will ultimately be done unless it gets really bad then Disney will just ban it all together. I am not a smoker so the ban wouldn't hurt me, but like I said a ban would be a lawsuit just waiting to happen.
Definitely not "a lawsuit waiting to happen" There are many places that ban "on property" smoking such as educational campuses and public beaches.



See quote from a Law College Public Health Law Section
Quote:
Smoke-free laws in outdoor areas, such as parks, recreational facilities, beaches, and patios, have proliferated throughout the U.S. over the last ten years. Many nonsmokers – especially children – who are exposed to outdoor tobacco smoke suffer immediate symptoms including breathing difficulties, eye irritation, headaches, nausea, and asthma attacks. Several recent studies have assessed the toxic health risks from exposure to secondhand outdoor tobacco smoke.

Outdoor smoke-free laws are typically enacted by city councils, county boards of commissioners, and local boards of health, which exercise their common authority to regulate smoking on public property. Often these laws are extensions of, or amendments to, indoor smoke-free policies. Some of these policies are based on nuisance law, and advocates in states such as California and South Carolina are collaborating with environmental groups to help pass them. Also, a growing number of hospital and school administrators, and other employers are adopting smoke-free campus policies, which extend to all outside grounds, such as parking lots, and property, whether owned, leased or rented. Many of these campus-wide smoke-free policies include business vehicles.
Disney is private property which gives them even more control rights. When you purchase a ticket you agree to their rules.

The argument that if Disney banned smoking it would hurt their attendance really does not hold water. The same argument was made about bars and restaurants, concerts and other events. They are all still going strong.

There is a plethora of evidence that the government does not back a smoker's right to smoke wherever they want.
__________________
Tramp68
OKW August 1997
BWV/OKW July 2000
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline  
Old 02-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #88
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran
 
Figmentforever24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Palm Beach Fl
Posts: 691

Definitely not "a lawsuit waiting to happen" There are many places that ban "on property" smoking such as educational campuses and public beaches.


Oh I don't think a lawsuit would win, because like you said when people buy tickets they have to abide by the rules set by Disney. I was just saying that in todays society people will sue over everything any anything even if it is completely stupid. I was just saying that somebody would try to file a lawsuit, but not that it would win or cause a problem for Disney.
Figmentforever24 is offline  
Old 02-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #89
kP72
Mouseketeer
 
kP72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberpi View Post
While we are making wish lists, can I add that every guest of appropriate age must use deodorant to eliminate personal body odor to the list? I had to leave a line several trips back - from Spaceship Earth (in the evening no less!) - because I was literally gagging due to BO. GROSS! I'd actually take cigarette smoke over that one!
Thank you!
__________________


DLR:1984,2010,2014; WDW:1994,2004,2006,2008; DCL: 2009
DLR TR 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3250490
kP72 is offline  
Old 02-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #90
skylizard
DIS Veteran
 
skylizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post

The argument that if Disney banned smoking it would hurt their attendance really does not hold water. The same argument was made about bars and restaurants, concerts and other events. They are all still going strong.
I agree. Disney could easily ban smoking tomorrow and attendance wouldn't be affected. I never see that many smokers nowadays anyway. I'm all for banning it. If you really need a smoke that bad, step outside the park. Do what you would normally do in other places that ban smoking too.
skylizard is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
ban smoking, magic kingdom, smoking



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.