Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 AM   #31
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
I think it's because:

A. many e-cigs look just like real cigarettes. So you'd have people assuming they are smoking the real thing, which could cause problems. (you also have people that know it's an e-cig and still complaining about it)

B. There have been no long term studies on the effects of e-cigs.
There are some studies though.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...&q=e+cigarette
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #32
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
LOL And don't forget that fat clogs peoples arteries (do you have a clue how many people die from heart attacks everyday?)...ban all fat! People are deathly allergic to nuts...get the nuts out too! Betting there are some people that are even allergic to pineapple...there goes the Dole Whip! There has to be a line somewhere doesn't there? Just saying.
There's a big difference between protecting people from themselves and providing a pleasant, healthy environment for others.

If someone eats a triple bacon cheeseburger at the next table in a restaurant, the excessive saturated fat does not go into your body.

If someone smokes at the next table in a restaurant, you can't help but inhale the second-hand smoke. That's why smoking is no longer allowed in restaurants in Florida and many other places worldwide.

People who have food allergies can easily avoid those foods at WDW. Servers and chefs at a WDW take food allergies very seriously.

Peanut dust, especially in closed environments such as airplanes, is a rare case of a food that can cause severe health reactions in others.

Going back to the topic of this thread, I appreciate that people want to avoid second-hand cigarette smoke at Disney theme parks. Making smokers leave the parks to smoke is not the answer. It would add unnecessary activity at the security checkpoints and entry lanes as smokers reenter the parks, and it would require large (and probably unavoidable) smoking areas outside park gates.

Fine-tuning where smoking is allowed makes sense.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #33
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I must be oblivious because I never notice anyone smoking in the parks. I have no clue where any of the smoking areas are either.

I say leave them be. As long as they stay in smoking areas they are only hurting themselves. If one of those areas is poorly located maybe that should be changed but I don't see any need to ban smoking.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #34
LONES
Mouseketeer

I'm not a fan of smoking, but have no problem with designated smoking areas at Disney. I realize it's a serious addiction for a lot of people, and if stopping off at a designated smoking section a couple of times a day allows them to enjoy Disney with their families, it's no skin off my nose. If there are a few that are poorly placed, I would assume that would be easy enough to rectify. As a non-smoker, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be seriously harmed in the amount of time it takes me to move away once I catch a whiff of smoke.

My mother is an ex-smoker, and a lung cancer survivor. Years back, I went with her to a smoking area in AK (not my favorite place to be, but I can deal with it for a few minutes). My mom was sitting on a bench smoking, and I was just standing in front of her. A woman and her son (about 4 or 5) plop down next to my mom. Seconds later, the woman says in a completely snotty tone, "DO YOU MIND??? My son has asthma!!!" My mother looked a little shocked, but immediately put out her cigarette. My completely non-confrontational mother then turned to the woman and calmly said, "If your son has asthma, it's probably not a good idea for you to have him sitting in the smoking section". The woman looked at my mother like she was the biggest "you know what" in the world. I'm not a huge fan of smoking, but I'm even less of a fan of the completely rude militants. Especially the ones that aren't very bright.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #35
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
People that smoke pay just as much to get into the parks and should have a right to smoke. Most of the smoking sections (they are disappearing all of the time) are out of the way. Disney will lose a lot of business if they stop it all together. You can eat your Dole Whip anywhere in the park. Smokers used to smoke anywhere in the park. They put all of the smokers in a few sections in the park and low and behold that is now not good enough? Now you want to stop them all together? What if someone wants a cigarette after their Dole Whip? Can't do it because they have to make non-smokers happy? What about making smokers happy? I thought smoking sections were put into place to try to make EVERYONE happy.

Someone further down in the thread suggested using e-cigarettes but, did you know that they are not allowed in the park except in the smoking areas? Have not figured out why yet though. They won't burn anyone or give out second hand smoke so what is the problem with them?
Not when their right to smoke infringes on my right to breathe clean air in public. I think it is child abuse for a smoker to smoke around children including in their own homes and cars. Being around other people removes your right to harm yourself when it also harms others. It is truly astonishing that anyone under the age of 50 smokes anyway. It is just plain ignorance and stupidity.

If it stops some people from coming to the parks then that means less crowds and shorter lines for me!
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #36
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnilou View Post
Sure, let's ban it - I don't smoke!

I don't drink soda - let's ban it!

I don't eat Dole Whips - let's ban them too!

I don't like people talking on their cell phones in public places - let's ban them!
your examples have ZERO relativity to the issue. Smoking affects everyone around the smoker negatively, with serious health consequences.

Drinking soda, eating a dole whip and talking on a cell phone do not impact nearby people's health (only their own)

Talking on a cell phone can be annoying, but not a health hazard. That would be a totally separate discussion.
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #37
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
At MK, smoking is banned at all buildings, restaurants, attractions, queues, sidewalks, and walkways -- with exactly six exceptions. Other Disney parks are similar.

Disney looked for a few spots to allow smoking in each park. Usually, these are places where walkways widen, split, or have a corner. Sometimes these spots are away from a main path, such as the little plaza below the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. At each designated smoking spot, Disney put in special trashs cans ashtrays on top. And Disney marked these locations on the park maps.

If you know where these spots are, it's pretty easy to avoid them. However, it's also pretty easy to enter them accidentally, as bswift did when looking for a sot to enjoy a Dole Whip. Despite being a frequent WDW guest, I've found myself temporarily enveloped in a cloud of cigarette smoke numerous times.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...smoking-areas/
The easy solution: Enclose the smoking areas and have them sealed with a recirculated air system. Entering through a "clean room" double door type of set up. Now they inhale their smoke and I can inhale my clean air
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #38
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post
Scientifically prove that it affects your health negatively when it's in a dedicated area you aren't in... In the outdoors and you have my support. I'm going to bet You won't be able to do it because it's an outdoor area and the smoke is dissipated to where it has no effect on your health compared to what you breathe in naturally. In other words, the only reason to ban it is because certain people don't like it.

Smokers are confined to their own spots. It's not allowed indoors or in most of the outdoors... Most smokers respect that people don't want to smell the smoke and try to avoid exposing others to it. Yes, they're are jerks out there that don't... But them they're are jerks on all sides of any debate (general statement...not directed at anyone specifically). Luckily most are sane and rationale on both sides.

Some people have a nearly militant dislike of the habit...which translates in a complete disregard for the other party.

Should we ban all things that people feel that disgusted about? Meat? Sweets? Loud yelling and talking? Drinking? Kids? I mean the list goes on and on. At what point is enough enough?

And no I don't smoke... I used to. And even though I don't like it now, I try to respect others, especially when it has zero effect on me.
Really? you seriously think that a passerby does not inhale enough to damage their lungs? My neighbor smokes on his front porch and I can tell from INSIDE my house as soon as he lights up. The smell comes right in any open window (except the one side away from his house). I suppose it is only the smell that spreads and not the harmful things in the smoke?

Let us not even get into the parent that drags their young child or infant into the smoking area so that they can have their smokes. These parents should be arrested for child abuse.
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Old 02-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #39
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post
It is truly astonishing that anyone under the age of 50 smokes anyway. It is just plain ignorance and stupidity.

If it stops some people from coming to the parks then that means less crowds and shorter lines for me!
Please not ANOTHER bash on smokers thread... and yes... according to most rules of polite conversation and discussion... calling people ignorant and stupid is bashing....

Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Caribbean Cruise July 2013* Spring Break Cruise on the Wonder March 2014

Old 02-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #40
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

There is no reason to be uncivil toward smokers.

Is it really so bad that smokers have a few small designated smoking spots at each Disney park while the rest of it is smoke-free?

Things were bad for nonsmokers in the not-too-distant past. Smoking was allowed in restaurants, airplanes, theater lobbies, stores, and all sorts of other public places. Unless it was a designated nonsmoking section, the assumption was that smoking was allowed. Often nonsmoking sections were in the same room where people were smoking, so the smoke would fill the whole room anyway.

Things have changed considerably. Smoking laws vary by state, but indoor spoking in public places has largely ended in the United States.

Almost all smokers politely follow the rules. They may not be happy about it when they're standing outdoors -- 15 feet from a hotel entrance somewhere in a northern state and the temperature is in the single digits -- but that's how it is now.

Let's be civil to smokers. Smokers are civil to nonsmokers "99.9%" of the time.

It makes sense to discuss opportunities for Disney to fine-tune smoking locations. For example, Downtown Disney currently allows smoking everywhere outside except in designated nonsmoking spots. It's time for Disney to make Downtown Disney consistent with the parks.

It does not make sense to wish for things to make smokers miserable.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #41
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Let's be civil to smokers. Smokers are civil to nonsmokers "99.9%" of the time.
I want to live in your world. I get stuck behind the guy in line who sneaks a cigarette. I have to enter the mall and walk past the 6 people who are basically blocking the doors with themselves and their cloud of smoke. I get stuck walking down the street behind the person smoking and not blowing their smoke up in the air so that it doesnt bother others. I get stuck on the bleachers at my son's baseball game next to the guy who is sitting in the front and the wind blows the smoke across everyone else on the bleachers. I get stuck at the stoplight next to the person smoking in the car whose smoke goes right into my car. not to mention the number of times my car has been hit by a smoldering missile because the smoker does not want to dirty the ashtray in the car and would rather pollute the streets.

Please. There is no way 99.9% of smokers are considerate.

Yes, many are. But, it seems much more like a minority than a majority
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Old 02-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #42
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

I wish they'd ban smoking everywhere. It's gross and it can kill you. Second hand smoke is everywhere in WDW and the world.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #43
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suger Mag View Post
Please not ANOTHER bash on smokers thread... and yes... according to most rules of polite conversation and discussion... calling people ignorant and stupid is bashing....
People know it is hazardous, they know it can kill them, but they do it anyway. What other words describe that?

My neighbor dies at 40 years old with lung cancer and leaves behind 3 children under the age of 5. She was the main breadwinner of the family. The husband never smoked and now has COPD due to breathing second hand smoke. The oldest isnt even 10 yet. Let's congratulate them and make it easier for them to orphan their children. Or let's consider the quality of life these kids are going to now have (yes, both parents are only children and both sets of grandparents are deceased)
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #44
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suger Mag View Post
and yes... according to most rules of polite conversation and discussion... calling people ignorant and stupid is bashing....
Ignorance is not a negative thing. It means that you are uninformed about a particular topic. Calling someone ignorant is not an insult.

Stupidity is another story, but I have already covered that.

Stupid is as stupid does.....

I see it no different than the death of Phillip Seymore Hoffman or any other person who dies from drugs. It is stupid that they tried them in the first place. It was a preventable death and the world has now been deprived of his talent.
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Old 02-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #45
amberpi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
There is no reason for a 100% smoking ban inside the MK or other Disney theme parks. The parks are already smoke-free, except for a few designated areas at each park. Most smokers comply with the rules.

Some of Disney's smoking areas are better situated than others. Disney took the easy way out using the sides of existing walkways as smoking sections. Because a large number of people sometimes smoke in a small area, the cloud of smoke becomes unavoidable for nonsmokers just trying to get from one part of a park to another.

A smoker's day at a Disney park includes taking some cigarette breaks. Rather than banning smoking, I'd like to see Disney put in nice smoking areas that are not part of walkways. Why not make it pleasant for smokers? Have tables and chairs, umbrellas to protect from sun, and gazebos to escape from the rain. Perhaps sell coffee nearby so that smokers can relax with coffee and a cigarette -- all while not subjecting nonsmokers to unwanted smoke.

Undoubtedly, older smokers fondly remember when they could smoke everywhere, excepts in lines and on attractions. The restaurants had smoking and nonsmoking sections (but the smoke would drift throughout the restaurants). That was bad for the rest of us.

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. For some people, even short exposure to smoke can trigger medical reactions. But my happiness is not increased by making smokers miserable. Give smokers a places to smoke away from nonsmokers, and we can all be happy.
That's pretty much my feeling on it. I don't smoke, I hate long term exposure to smoke, but ya know what? People smoke. Give them somewhere decent to do it. I always wondered why they don't use the Odyssey for instance in Epcot as a DSA. The smokers would have a nice place to enjoy, the non-smokers wouldn't be bothered.

Also, I could give a rat's potity about ecigs, they don't bother me in the least, I wish everyone at the weekly trivia night spot I frequent would adopt them. Its SO much nicer than cigarette smoke.
Closed Thread

Tags
ban smoking, magic kingdom, smoking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: