Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 03:55 AM   #241
becpee
I see sock puppets
 
becpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hi from Oz!
Posts: 2,987

They should ban people that don't wear deodorant as well.

The smell stains the air and i'm sure it's toxic if inhaled/ingested *cough*

They could employ an armpit sniffer at the gate to make sure people have put it on (i'm sure there are some people out there with a crazy armpit fetish).
__________________


Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 04:01 AM   #242
Pumpkin meme
I never travel to WDW in December ...its overrun with chanting cheer squads and pushy mothers...
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Australia NOT Austria.
Posts: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I only saw the subject and that is was 17 pages.l

I want to post my opinions without reading all the pages

my husband and I smoked for all of our adult lives. if you have watched the Mad mend series, that's how it was then everyone did.

we are both pushing 60 and have been smoke free for over 3 years now.

we have over 25 disney trips under our belts. I am so happy now to be smoke free. and I don't likebeing around smoke now, either.

however, I think it is totally unfair and unreasonable to expect smokers to try to go the wntrie day without a cigarette. we KNOW that it is an addiction. we KNOW that many smokers became addicted years ago.

it is very easy for non smokers to avoid the dsa's .
I further think that the more they limit the dsa's. the more smokers will stop trying to abide by the rules. you just make it impossible!

I remember when we were smokers. the DSA near the fountain at epcot was SO TOTALLY out of the way from everything!!!! there was NO reason to go there unless yuo wanted to smoke.. and anyone walking past the fountain was WAYS awayfrom any smoke.

so, naturally, they did away with it.

well, all of us smokers just kept using it anyway, and "playing dumb" and it was reinstated. (I don'[t know if it is still there now)

they made AK almost impossible for smokers to obey the rules. then they keep that stupid DSA by ALOHA Isle. I swear, they keep that one, just to irritate the non smokers enough to keep the pot stirring.....

now that I haven't had a cig. in over 3 years.. I actually can't STAND smelling cig smoke. (and I smoked for 40 years)

and that is why I don't go near the dsas and I think it would be AWFUL and UNFAIR if they did away with those, at both the parks and the resorts.
Awesome regarding you guys quiting....

Thanks for the reply from an x smoker's viewpoint. Its good to get the many sides to a subject.

Pumpkin meme is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-08-2014, 04:05 AM   #243
Pumpkin meme
I never travel to WDW in December ...its overrun with chanting cheer squads and pushy mothers...
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Australia NOT Austria.
Posts: 234

[QUOTE=smidgy;50897645]OMG!!! this is SO TRUE!! you really think they are going to risk the south american and european tourisst???? esp the SAs when we had brazillians at our resort,, ... taking our loungers at the pool, kicking soccer balls at our window at 1 am, blocking our way on the walkway, numeorous threats, etc etc. we were told "July is Latin month at disney" by a management Cm on a segway, at our resort.


and now ... your not bashing non-Americans are you??? We are house trained you know.

BTW I have bumped into a few rude Americans in my travels @ WDW as well, so being inconsiderate isn't just the MO of foreign tourists.

This made me laugh ""July is Latin month at Disney" by a management Cm on a segway, at our resort." ......as September/October is "disturbing dress up time for american adults"...December is " loud & annoying chanting in confined spaces and bus seat hogging american cheerleader month"....March - July is "rampaging unaccompanied american teens on break with no adults to be seen while screaming thru the resorts at 2 am"......so you could say that its not that bad the SA's only have one month out of the 12 is it?

But YMMV.

Last edited by Pumpkin meme; 03-08-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Pumpkin meme is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #244
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
It's not snark. I just don't particularly care if smokers decide to not come to WDW because they can't smoke there, or decide to not bring their families because of it. Seems like a really bad reason to miss out, especially when there are other options, like a patch, gum or eCigs. As a former smoker, I just can't muster any sympathy.
My mom has actually tried both the gum and the patch. They gave her horrible nightmares. Even so she has managed to stop smoking for a while, but starts up again. I'm glad you were able to quit. That doesn't make it that simple for everyone else. You have also missed the fact that Disney doesn't care if it is an eCig--you still need to be in a DSA to use those as well.

I also think that as much sympathy as you show others, that is what you deserve in return for any situation you may be struggling with.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 03-08-2014 at 05:26 AM.
maxiesmom is online now  
Old 03-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #245
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
Sucks to be their families. Oh well.
Actually right now it doesn't suck. Disney has DSAs and I'm glad they accommodate smokers. If they didn't you would have people lighting up as they walked around the park.
maxiesmom is online now  
Old 03-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #246
seenellie81
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 190

You know what makes me crazy?!!! When I go into the designated smoking areas to have a cigarette and..... people are sitting their with their kids eating an ice cream or whatever and they are not smokers. Weird how that sounds right? Of course that doesn't make me crazy, i hate that people would bring their kids into the area but it doesn't drive me crazy. All this talk about how smokers are causing problems for non smokers i figured i would add in how non smokers are causing problems for smokers in the parks. I don't walk around the non smoking areas with a cigarette, so don't walk around or sit in the smoking areas without a cigarette. Of course its silly to say!! But thats my point, I dont care what any smoker or non smoker does as long as they are following policy. I hate that i have to walk past that stupid popcorn stand on my way out of MK, the smell is soooo goood. It makes me have to have some, if i have some its bad for my health. I know i shouldnt have any of the popcorn, but that smell that is over powering the air is making me "need" it. Guess what i do.... i walk around it! Imagine that!
__________________
seenellie81 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #247
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 36,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
It's not snark. I just don't particularly care if smokers decide to not come to WDW because they can't smoke there, or decide to not bring their families because of it. Seems like a really bad reason to miss out, especially when there are other options, like a patch, gum or eCigs. As a former smoker, I just can't muster any sympathy.
And, again, the entire point of my response to which you replied so flippantly was to refute numbers. Nothing at all to do with sympathy.
__________________
OFFICIAL 2014 Reading Challenge Participant 32/52
Phone Monkey; Phone Monkey 2; Phone Monkey Declined; The Barkeep; Ultimate Guide to Soapmaking; Brief Anecdotes from an Amusing Life; Twisted Disney; Tony Partly Cloudy; The Alternative Guide to Nursery Rhymes; Dead Woman's Shoes; South of Normal; Wal-Mart Book of Ethics; Las Vegas Cab Life; Savvy Travelers Guide: Boston Red Sox; Professor Plausible's Big Book of Baloney; Sweet Masterpiece; The President's Brain is Missing; Why Your Flight Attendant Hates You; Dirty Numbers; My Life on Craigslist; Retail Memories: When Customer Attack; The Village Idiots Cruise Club; How to Find Your Soulmate on the Internet - NOT!; The Dining Doctor; Cars & Stars; Tales in the Sky; Reader's Digest The Dumb Book; An Amazon Verified Purchase; Adventures in Casino Security; Waiter Rant; Keep the Change; Fairy Tales from the I.R.S.; now (still) reading "Hot Doug's", along with 'Match Dot C'mon', 'Cliches: A Dictionary of Recieved Ideas', 'The Chase', and 'Real Happy Family'
kaytieeldr is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #248
spob15
Earning My Ears
 
spob15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 31

This is a funny topic. I quit smoking on my most recent trip(feb). I had wanted to quit for some time but it was not convenient. The reason I stopped on this trip is because of how difficult it is to find a smoking area at the parks and the hotels. I thought since wdw makes it such a challenge to smoke it would be a good time to quit. The funny part is that everytime I looked up I found a smoking area b
__________________
Next trip to F&W and MNSSHP!
spob15 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #249
Silock
DIS Veteran
 
Silock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I also think that as much sympathy as you show others, that is what you deserve in return for any situation you may be struggling with.
I don't expect sympathy for things I brought upon myself or things that are within my own control.

Quote:
You have also missed the fact that Disney doesn't care if it is an eCig--you still need to be in a DSA to use those as well.
That's fine. At least there's no second hand smoke or allergens to worry about.

Last edited by Silock; 03-08-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Silock is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #250
Silock
DIS Veteran
 
Silock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
And, again, the entire point of my response to which you replied so flippantly was to refute numbers. Nothing at all to do with sympathy.
No, I got it. I just don't believe that people will let something like that deter them from a trip they really want to take when there are solutions out there.
Silock is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #251
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,472

A business would like to (at least attempt) to satisfy all their customers. Smokers and non-smokers.

Disney wants guests to spend their entire vacation on site. WDW is (or at least was) larger then Manhattan. A policy of non-smoking anywhere on property would not be friendly to smokers. It would lead to smokers doing "terrible" things. Some would sneak a smoke somewhere on property. Some would do something even worse. They'd leave Disney property to smoke. While off property they might spend $$$. Have a meal. Buy stuff.

Disney has already banned smoking in the resorts and in the parks (except for designated areas). Guests who want to smoke need to go to some very limited areas. Maybe the policy could be tweaked. Maybe some of the smoking areas could be relocate a short distance.
Lewisc is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #252
Disney-Chick
A Canadian who loves Disney eh!
 
Disney-Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 603

I am a smoker and my boyfriend is not. My 16 old daughter hates smoke. They sit with me if they choose to in the smoking section when I stop. I have to say that there are a few spots that are located poorly (the one behind the castle). But they have been moving them more out of the way. I have been going to Disney since 2006 and each time I go back and think I know where all the spots are then find out they moved at least one.

I respect the non-smokers and do not say anything disrespectful when they run past me holding the hands over their faces (my concern is they may fall from not being able to see).

I smoke in the areas that Disney allows. I have seen the odd person (not many) smoking outside of the designated areas.

I pay the same price as everyone and have the right to smoke. Some mention about health issues? How did you get to the parks? Cars cause health issues, as well as air planes, trains etc. The smell of diesel fuel bothers me, the smell of burning oil because they didn't change before the Disney vacay. I am not creating a section about banning all those disturbing smells.

You may not like smokers but you don't have to disrespect us. Especially when we follow the rules and locations that Disney has set up.
__________________
Me (Shawna)35 DD (Brianna)16

Disney-Chick is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #253
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran
 
yitbos96bb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,649

Yes but what you say is logical and reasonable. I'm not sure that kind of thinking has any place in this thread ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
A business would like to (at least attempt) to satisfy all their customers. Smokers and non-smokers.

Disney wants guests to spend their entire vacation on site. WDW is (or at least was) larger then Manhattan. A policy of non-smoking anywhere on property would not be friendly to smokers. It would lead to smokers doing "terrible" things. Some would sneak a smoke somewhere on property. Some would do something even worse. They'd leave Disney property to smoke. While off property they might spend $$$. Have a meal. Buy stuff.

Disney has already banned smoking in the resorts and in the parks (except for designated areas). Guests who want to smoke need to go to some very limited areas. Maybe the policy could be tweaked. Maybe some of the smoking areas could be relocate a short distance.
__________________
yitbos96bb is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #254
danielc0307
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14

Yes

It's 2014... I can't believe people still smoke.
danielc0307 is offline  
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #255
danielc0307
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14

In

In Indiana, you can't even smoke within 8 ft of a business's entrance!
danielc0307 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
ban smoking, magic kingdom, smoking



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.