Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #211
SeanWM48
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneychick75 View Post
Second hand disease scenario caused by weight gain:
A parent or spouse gains weight, it impacts their health-cardiac disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and so on. Worried spouse or child are stressed by having to care for ailing relative. They develop anxiety, depression, high blood pressure, cardiac illness. Because they're stressed, they eat more and develop diabetes as well.
lol please
SeanWM48 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #212
Kristina4109
DIS Veteran
 
Kristina4109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: L.A., baby
Posts: 1,160

I'm not a smoker and would never want my child to start, but I'm going to stay off the "should they ban it" topic and get down to the "WOULD they ban it." It's a good point to say that Disney relies on international visitors and that smoking is more common in other countries. However, if airlines can ban smoking (and it's not like a smoker can change their mind and decide to leave for a cigarette mid flight) then I think it's entirely feasible that Disney can as well.
__________________
Kristina4109 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #213
Disneychick75
DIS Veteran
 
Disneychick75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWM48 View Post
lol please
Stress won't lead to illness? These are just a couple of links:
http://www.lifescript.com/soul/self/...by_stress.aspx
http://www.stress.org/stress-effects/
Disneychick75 is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 04:30 AM   #214
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina4109 View Post
I'm not a smoker and would never want my child to start, but I'm going to stay off the "should they ban it" topic and get down to the "WOULD they ban it." It's a good point to say that Disney relies on international visitors and that smoking is more common in other countries. However, if airlines can ban smoking (and it's not like a smoker can change their mind and decide to leave for a cigarette mid flight) then I think it's entirely feasible that Disney can as well.
An airplane is vastly different, as you are in an enclosed space, with nowhere else to go should someone near you light up. It is much much different to be somewhere outdoors, where all you need to do is to walk away if the smoke bothers you.

Of course any place can ban smoking. But do they really need to ban it at WDW? Nope. The smoke is easy enough to avoid if you want.
maxiesmom is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 AM   #215
Silock
DIS Veteran
 
Silock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 533

Yeah, go ahead and ban it. You think it will cost them money? HA.

Bars around here have enacted smoking bans for I don't know how long, and they're busier than they've ever been. Turns out that people avoided the bars because of the smoke, and the smokers still want to go to the bars.

I don't know that anyone is avoiding Disney because of smoke (highly unlikely), but it's also incredibly unlikely that a smoker will avoid Disney because they can't light up inside the parks. They'll get an eCig and that will be that.
Silock is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 05:13 AM   #216
Silock
DIS Veteran
 
Silock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
An airplane is vastly different, as you are in an enclosed space, with nowhere else to go should someone near you light up. It is much much different to be somewhere outdoors, where all you need to do is to walk away if the smoke bothers you.

Of course any place can ban smoking. But do they really need to ban it at WDW? Nope. The smoke is easy enough to avoid if you want.
It's actually not always that easy. Smoke drifts with the wind. Sometimes, standing in line, especially at Aloha Isle, you cannot get away from it.
Silock is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #217
Tramp68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saugerties, NY
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedberg1661 View Post
...they could never ban smoking entirely at the parks.
Legally, they could at any time. It is private property and they make the rules. you agree to abide by those rules when you enter the park.

Would they? That is another story, though I think the trend is going towards that. It will be many years though...

For those that think they would never do it because it would hurt business...No way. Just like 99% of the people claiming they are going to boycott Disney over FP+ will be back. It will become an annoyance to many, but they will be back. It hasn't hurt the malls, movies, sports, concerts, and restaurants (with MAYBE the exception of bars), it won't hurt theme parks...
__________________
Tramp68
OKW August 1997
BWV/OKW July 2000
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #218
Tramp68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saugerties, NY
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
I agree with you. Disney relies do much on international visitors and many countries do not look at smoking in the same way we do here in the US.
Do you really think that would make them stop coming? really?
__________________
Tramp68
OKW August 1997
BWV/OKW July 2000
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #219
Tramp68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saugerties, NY
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina4109 View Post
I'm not a smoker and would never want my child to start, but I'm going to stay off the "should they ban it" topic and get down to the "WOULD they ban it." It's a good point to say that Disney relies on international visitors and that smoking is more common in other countries. However, if airlines can ban smoking (and it's not like a smoker can change their mind and decide to leave for a cigarette mid flight) then I think it's entirely feasible that Disney can as well.
And many of those flights are longer than the amount of time they spend in a park before leaving for the day.
__________________
Tramp68
OKW August 1997
BWV/OKW July 2000
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #220
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post
Legally, they could at any time. It is private property and they make the rules. you agree to abide by those rules when you enter the park.

Would they? That is another story, though I think the trend is going towards that. It will be many years though...

For those that think they would never do it because it would hurt business...No way. Just like 99% of the people claiming they are going to boycott Disney over FP+ will be back. It will become an annoyance to many, but they will be back. It hasn't hurt the malls, movies, sports, concerts, and restaurants (with MAYBE the exception of bars), it won't hurt theme parks...
It may have more of an affect on a theme park that relies heavily on foreign tourists.

Also there is a big difference between banning smoking at a restaurant where, if someone wants to smoke, they have to walk 30 feet to be outside and a theme park where the walk to go light up could be over a mile.
maxiesmom is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #221
Tramp68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saugerties, NY
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
It may have more of an affect on a theme park that relies heavily on foreign tourists.

Also there is a big difference between banning smoking at a restaurant where, if someone wants to smoke, they have to walk 30 feet to be outside and a theme park where the walk to go light up could be over a mile.
They are on a plane and unable to smoke longer than they might stay in the parks. Again, do you really think they will stop coming? They will continue to come, just like American smokers will continue to come.

"Sorry kids, we can't go to Disney. We aren't allowed to smoke there."
__________________
Tramp68
OKW August 1997
BWV/OKW July 2000
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #222
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,368

The CDC reported in 2012 that 18.1% of adults in the USA were smokers. That is almost a 5th of all American adults. That is a large number of people to upset by banning smoking entirely.

My mom is unfortunately one of those smokers, and there is no way she would visit WDW ever again if they banned smoking. I'm not sure why you think it wouldn't stop people from going. Smoking is a horrible addiction. I can easily see it stopping many people from vacationing at WDW and going elsewhere.

Btw, not everyone boards a plan to get to WDW.
maxiesmom is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #223
Silock
DIS Veteran
 
Silock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Also there is a big difference between banning smoking at a restaurant where, if someone wants to smoke, they have to walk 30 feet to be outside and a theme park where the walk to go light up could be over a mile.
Sucks to be them.
Silock is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #224
Tramp68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saugerties, NY
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
The CDC reported in 2012 that 18.1% of adults in the USA were smokers. That is almost a 5th of all American adults. That is a large number of people to upset by banning smoking entirely.

My mom is unfortunately one of those smokers, and there is no way she would visit WDW ever again if they banned smoking. I'm not sure why you think it wouldn't stop people from going. Smoking is a horrible addiction. I can easily see it stopping many people from vacationing at WDW and going elsewhere.

Btw, not everyone boards a plan to get to WDW.
18.1% are smokers. I would think adults make up about 50% of Disney guests. So 9.05% of all guests are smokers. Of the 9.05% they MIGHT lose 1% of them to a ban on smoking. Meaning they would lose .0905% of their daily attendance. Not significant enough if the public trend indicated a desire to ban. They MAY even be able to make it up by attracting a health nut family who wants to support Disney for doing it....

Again. the restaurants SCREAMED that it would kill their business and it didn't. Business increased. PP indicated the same happened with bars. Disney would easily be able to ban smoking.
__________________
Tramp68
OKW August 1997
BWV/OKW July 2000
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #225
Disneychick75
DIS Veteran
 
Disneychick75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 993

At this point, it's moot because smoking is allowed at Disney World Parks and resorts.
Disneychick75 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
ban smoking, magic kingdom, smoking



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.