Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #196
Disneychick75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merida DunBroch View Post
I'd rather smoking be banned altogether. I get it, smokers need their nic-fix... But I'm not going to want any future children I may have be inhaling any smoke fumes at the most magical place on earth.
It's easy to avoid the smoking areas.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #197
zorro77
DVC Member Since 93

I really think banning smoking is just another part of life changing with the times. Its not really banning but setting a rule of what the Disney Company wants to allow or not. Walt was a big smoker in his days and yes times have changed and we have more studies on effects of smoking but the second hand thing is open for argument. Chemicals in the air from all sorts of things that we may not detect that are also causing health issues. So i say argue but don't say it bad for you and then take a few good drinks, down the diet drinks, eat fatty foods, don't exercise and not take care of yourself or your children and then say smoking should not be allowed.
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #198
Pumpkin meme
I never travel to WDW in December ...its overrun with chanting cheer squads and pushy mothers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro77 View Post
I really think banning smoking is just another part of life changing with the times. Its not really banning but setting a rule of what the Disney Company wants to allow or not. Walt was a big smoker in his days and yes times have changed and we have more studies on effects of smoking but the second hand thing is open for argument. Chemicals in the air from all sorts of things that we may not detect that are also causing health issues. So i say argue but don't say it bad for you and then take a few good drinks, down the diet drinks, eat fatty foods, don't exercise and not take care of yourself or your children and then say smoking should not be allowed.
++++ like
Old 03-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #199
EMode
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin meme View Post
Even as a non-smoker i cant help but notice the hypocrisy....you may say smoking kills so ban it, but no one wants to acknowledge the other things at Disney that may also be harmful to long term health...what you may say???..how about the heart attacks waiting to happen with the turkey legs, or the jumbo cokes, or the cinnamon buns...the list goes on.

Smoking is deadly, but so is diabetes, heart disease, obesity..not to mention short/long term issues like tooth decay, heart attacks,childhood obesity, bone decay etc etc.
If I choose to stuff myself with turkey legs that is my choice. It is not my choice to breath your deadly second hand smoke when you are blowing it in the air we share. If my turkey leg has the potential to kill you, you'd have a valid argument there, but it doesn't so you don't.
(that is a general you, I know you said you are a non-smoker)
Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #200
SeanWM48
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin meme View Post
Even as a non-smoker i cant help but notice the hypocrisy....you may say smoking kills so ban it, but no one wants to acknowledge the other things at Disney that may also be harmful to long term health...what you may say???..how about the heart attacks waiting to happen with the turkey legs, or the jumbo cokes, or the cinnamon buns...the list goes on.

Smoking is deadly, but so is diabetes, heart disease, obesity..not to mention short/long term issues like tooth decay, heart attacks,childhood obesity, bone decay etc etc.
your point is completely destroyed by the second-hand smoke argument. somebody gaining weight from their disney diet isn't hurting everybody within breathing distance.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #201
DetroitDisney
DISfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
To me it comes down to the fact that it is legal. I don't like smoking, I think it is a horrible habit. But it is legal, so yes, people are free to make the choice to smoke. I may not like it, but at it is legal I will defend their right to make that choice. Even though I think it is a stupid choice. I shudder to think the world will end up like it is in the movie Demolition Man? Anyone remember that? A world where everything that is deemed bad (smoking, swearing, even sex) is banned. And the only restaurant that exists is Taco Bell.
Owning knives and guns are also legal, yet those aren't allowed into the park for safety reasons. In fact, they aren't allowed in public in most parts of the country without a special permit. And smoking kills over 10x as many people as guns.

The freedom article is ridiculous. Your freedom is limited to the extent to which it inhibits others from being safe and healthy. I'm not talking about banning other things like eating fatty foods. That stuff can kill you too, but there aren't 2nd hand diabetes floating around. Smoking is a habit that affects people around you negatively.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #202
eadavis
Mickey is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDisney View Post
Owning knives and guns are also legal, yet those aren't allowed into the park for safety reasons. In fact, they aren't allowed in public in most parts of the country without a special permit. And smoking kills over 10x as many people as guns. The freedom article is ridiculous. Your freedom is limited to the extent to which it inhibits others from being safe and healthy. I'm not talking about banning other things like eating fatty foods. That stuff can kill you too, but there aren't 2nd hand diabetes floating around. Smoking is a habit that affects people around you negatively.
Hmm, second hand diabetes...thankfully Bloomberg is no longer Mayor in NYC...lord knows what would have been banned...
Old 03-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #203
Pumpkin meme
I never travel to WDW in December ...its overrun with chanting cheer squads and pushy mothers...

but back to the topic at hand

smoking bad
exercise good

have a magical day.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #204
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWM48 View Post
your point is completely destroyed by the second-hand smoke argument. somebody gaining weight from their disney diet isn't hurting everybody within breathing distance.
Don't go within breathing distance of someone who is smoking then?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #205
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer

I fully understand the risks associated with being exposed to second hand smoke while being in confined, closed in spaces for extended lengths of time. However, that is not the case here. All of these smoking areas are outdoors and no one is being exposed in a closed in environment for extended lengths of time. The idea that one will develop lung disease by simply walking past a smoking area seems a bit off base. I think the inconvenience and discomfort of smelling cigarette smoke for a few seconds as one walks by a smoking area Is being twisted into a health risk to win an argument. Maybe there are people out there that simply the smell of smoke can trigger an asthma attack, I don't know, but it seems extreme. I do know that my kid has asthma and we carry the proper meds for the unexpected attack. I would guess that if someone were so violently allergic than they would be prepared for this emergency at all times. I am sure that if they are that violently allergic, they encounter smoke and other irritants every day of their lives that can trigger attacks. Again, I don't care for smoking and wish everyone could quit, but getting a whiff of smoke when walking by a smoking area where people are following the rules does not bother me. I refuse to let something this insignificant affect me.
May 2014 - Disney Fantasy May 2013 - Disney Dream Dec 2012 - Ft Wilderness June 2012 - Wilderness Lodge April 2010 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2009 - Ft Wilderness May 2009 - Old Key West Aug 2008 - Ft Wilderness Mar 2008 - Disney Magic Dec 2007 - Ft Wilderness Feb 2007 - Animal Kingdom April 2006 - Disney Magic Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Mar 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2004 - Caribbean Beach Aug 2003 Caribbean Beach June 2002 - Port Orleans Oct 1009 - All Star Music

Last edited by Magic Fanatic; 03-06-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #206
EMode
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
I fully understand the risks associated with being exposed to second hand smoke while being in confined, closed in spaces for extended lengths of time. However, that is not the case here. All of these smoking areas are outdoors and no one is being exposed in a closed in environment for extended lengths of time. The idea that one will develop lung disease by simply walking past a smoking area seems a bit off base. I think the inconvenience and discomfort of smelling cigarette smoke for a few seconds as one walks by a smoking area Is being twisted into a health risk to win an argument. Maybe there are people out there that simply the smell of smoke can trigger an asthma attack, I don't know, but it seems extreme. I do know that my kid has asthma and we carry the proper meds for the unexpected attack. I would guess that if someone were so violently allergic than they would be prepared for this emergency at all times. I am sure that if they are that violently allergic, they encounter smoke and other irritants every day of their lives that can trigger attacks. Again, I don't care for smoking and wish everyone could quit, but getting a whiff of smoke when walking by a smoking area where people are following the rules does not bother me. I refuse to let something this insignificant affect me.
We weren't walking by, we were standing there eating ice cream waiting for the rest of our party who got in line after us. It was a hot humid summer day and smoke was choking people out. It was disgusting. I think whoever decided to put a designated smoking area right by a place where people get food is a moron. I don't have a problem with designated smoking areas but I don't have a problem with any business banning smoking either whether its for the health of people who do care enough not to smoke or if its to keep their parks clean and the air enjoyable to breathe.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #207
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMode View Post
We weren't walking by, we were standing there eating ice cream waiting for the rest of our party who got in line after us. It was a hot humid summer day and smoke was choking people out. It was disgusting. I think whoever decided to put a designated smoking area right by a place where people get food is a moron. I don't have a problem with designated smoking areas but I don't have a problem with any business banning smoking either whether its for the health of people who do care enough not to smoke or if its to keep their parks clean and the air enjoyable to breathe.
I guess don't see what is so hard about moving away from the DSA. I don't like the smell of smoke either, and if I am around it too long my asthma flares up. Why not get your ice cream and just move down the path a little ways? Maybe that is not the best place for a DSA but none of us have to stand there to enjoy our ice cream.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #208
EMode
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I guess don't see what is so hard about moving away from the DSA. I don't like the smell of smoke either, and if I am around it too long my asthma flares up. Why not get your ice cream and just move down the path a little ways? Maybe that is not the best place for a DSA but none of us have to stand there to enjoy our ice cream.
We did move, but that isn't the point. Its not like the smoke just stays in the designated smoking area because there is some sort of magical boundary. It was hot and humid and the smoke was lingering in the air everwhere. It was gross and I'd definitely support a ban that made any part of the parks less gross.
I'm not going to be writing Disney letters or anything, but if they decided to ban smoking I'd give them a big ole thumbs up.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #209
hedberg1661
DIS Veteran

Personally, I don't smoke and don't care for smoking however, they could never ban smoking entirely at the parks.
1990's-2006 - Multiple trips ...mostly to BC, 2010 - BC, July 2012 - AKL, BLT, December 2012 - BC, April 2013 - DL, DCA Offsite, July 2013 - BLT, December 2013 - BC, July 2014 - BLT, October 2014 - S&D, 2014-15? - DCL, BC?

And as always: Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #210
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedberg1661 View Post
Personally, I don't smoke and don't care for smoking however, they could never ban smoking entirely at the parks.
I agree with you. Disney relies do much on international visitors and many countries do not look at smoking in the same way we do here in the US.
May 2014 - Disney Fantasy May 2013 - Disney Dream Dec 2012 - Ft Wilderness June 2012 - Wilderness Lodge April 2010 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2009 - Ft Wilderness May 2009 - Old Key West Aug 2008 - Ft Wilderness Mar 2008 - Disney Magic Dec 2007 - Ft Wilderness Feb 2007 - Animal Kingdom April 2006 - Disney Magic Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Mar 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2004 - Caribbean Beach Aug 2003 Caribbean Beach June 2002 - Port Orleans Oct 1009 - All Star Music
Closed Thread

Tags
ban smoking, magic kingdom, smoking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: