Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #181
DetroitDisney
DISfanatic

I love "pro" public smoking arguments. even though we all know that smoke in your lungs causes cancer and other problems, it comes down to some absurd idea of "personal freedom" or "rights".

I think if sick people were to routinely walk up to smokers and sneeze (with spray) and cough directly into smokers faces, they might see that as less than ideal. BUT ITS MY RIGHT TO SNEEZE WHEREVER I PLEASE, THIS IS AMERICA.

oh wait, there are limits to our personal freedom to the degree that they affect others negatively.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #182
Disneychick75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahfan7 View Post
Part of the problem is these areas are in high traffic locations.
The only smoking area I've noticed that is in the way would be the one on the castle walkway. The others are not in traffic areas. The spot near Aloha Isle is set back. Someone would have to go out of their way to walk near smokers in the DSAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post
OP asked if smoking should be banned. Many reasons were given. Smokers responded angrily that they had the right to smoke. Debate ensued and got off course (I am partially to blame here)

Someone suggested that a few of the smoking locations were too close to eateries and/or in bottleneck areas that are hard to go around.

Smokers again said they had the right to smoke. Debate ensued and got off course (I am partially to blame here)

I suggested that a more prominent "smoking area ahead" sign should be used not only to warn people so they do not accidently walk into the area but to show smokers where to go since some can't seem to find the correct areas (admittedly a small minority)

Smokers again said they had the right to smoke. Debate ensued and got off course (I am partially to blame here)

Throughout many good arguments were made for and against the so called "ban" but I have yet to see anyone give anything but a sarcastic response to the relocating a few poor choices in location and better marking for the areas. (Maybe someone mentioned too stigmatizing??)

A valid point about the trams. We usually walk no matter how far (unless it is pouring rain) I think I just always saw that as a necessary evil, but the smoking preventable.

I went back and read most of my posts. I believe in the core of everything I said, but my tone was clearly nasty and condescending. I apologize to anyone that I offended. I love a good debate and usually do not stoop to personal attacks. Again, I apologize. For what it is worth, the wake of the student who died of a heroin overdose happened within the last 2 weeks. Our school lost 3 students/graduates to the same problem all within a month of eachother. I still remember having the conversation with him and a few firends a few years ago, that "it was only cigarettes" and then "it is only pot" Was it the cause? I don't know. The drug and alcohol counselors sure think it is. I can only assume that this is the cause of my going over the deep end here.

I am sorry for the damage I may have done, none of you deserve to be treated like that.
I haven't noticed any smokers who are angry on the thread.
I agree the signage needs to be better. When the signs for DSAs were first posted, I couldn't find them and new maps had not been printed showing them. I had to ask CMs where I could smoke.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #183
Disneychick75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDisney View Post
I love "pro" public smoking arguments. even though we all know that smoke in your lungs causes cancer and other problems, it comes down to some absurd idea of "personal freedom" or "rights".

I think if sick people were to routinely walk up to smokers and sneeze (with spray) and cough directly into smokers faces, they might see that as less than ideal. BUT ITS MY RIGHT TO SNEEZE WHEREVER I PLEASE, THIS IS AMERICA.

oh wait, there are limits to our personal freedom to the degree that they affect others negatively.
I know at least 8 people who died from cancer in the past decade and not one of them smoked, nor did their parents or spouses.
My great grandfather and grandfather, on the other hand, smoked filter less cigarettes, cigars, or pipes everyday and they lived into their 90's as did their spouses. Smoking may cause cancer in some people who smoke but not in all people who smoke.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 AM   #184
becpee
I see sock puppets

Ban smoking in MK?

No way, in fact I think they should have places set aside to smoke weed and drop acid.
Imagine how much cooler than cool it would be then!

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

Old 03-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #185
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDisney View Post
To me it comes down to the fact that it is legal. I don't like smoking, I think it is a horrible habit. But it is legal, so yes, people are free to make the choice to smoke. I may not like it, but at it is legal I will defend their right to make that choice. Even though I think it is a stupid choice.

I shudder to think the world will end up like it is in the movie Demolition Man? Anyone remember that? A world where everything that is deemed bad (smoking, swearing, even sex) is banned. And the only restaurant that exists is Taco Bell.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:17 AM   #186
seenellie81
Mouseketeer

If people are smoking in the designated areas which most are, this is not a personal issue rather a disney issue. Could smoking spots be better located I am sure they could be. I am a smoker and personally would go where ever they put the areas to smoke. What I am not understanding is how this topic became a personal attack on people because of their choice. I get it people don't like smoking but hate the act not the person. You don't even know them. Yes it's bad for people's health we shouldn't smoke, we also should always wear sunscreen, not consume high fat foods or beverages etc etc. I know that second hand smoke people don't like and it's bad for you. I know smoke effects asthma and the like. Again this is the location of the smoking spots, not the smokers. I don't agree with drinking around the world, I don't hate on the people who do it. I realize that it's something that occurs. I guess what I am trying to say is why make personal attacks? This should be more focused on the smoking spots and there location some of which are very poorly located, I can think of 3 in MK. The same goes for everything I guess, if you don't like a policy for any reason people are so quick to make it about the person who is following the policy more then the people who make the policy.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #187
zorro77
DVC Member Since 93

Well said. Thank you
Old 03-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #188
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahfan7 View Post
Part of the problem is these areas are in high traffic locations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneychick75 View Post
The only smoking area I've noticed that is in the way would be the one on the castle walkway. The others are not in traffic areas. The spot near Aloha Isle is set back. Someone would have to go out of their way to walk near smokers in the DSAs.
Yes, that is the problem I have with smoking in the parks. Health issues aside, it is very nauseating to me to walk through those areas, no matter how fast I walk. The one near Aloha Isle is close enough to the walkway that it does indeed impact the walking area. There are several that do.

Also, there is at least one other area (Epcot, especially) that is so frustrating to me - the Gateway entrance - you have to go through a line of smokers to get through - yes, I know, not the MK.

Disney 'could' do a better job of separating the areas.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #189
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
Ban smoking in MK?

No way, in fact I think they should have places set aside to smoke weed and drop acid.
Imagine how much cooler than cool it would be then!

That IS going to happen at Disney: Amsterdam. A bus driver told me about it on our last trip (Pun intentional)
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #190
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenellie81 View Post
If people are smoking in the designated areas which most are, this is not a personal issue rather a disney issue. Could smoking spots be better located I am sure they could be. I am a smoker and personally would go where ever they put the areas to smoke. What I am not understanding is how this topic became a personal attack on people because of their choice. I get it people don't like smoking but hate the act not the person. You don't even know them. Yes it's bad for people's health we shouldn't smoke, we also should always wear sunscreen, not consume high fat foods or beverages etc etc. I know that second hand smoke people don't like and it's bad for you. I know smoke effects asthma and the like. Again this is the location of the smoking spots, not the smokers. I don't agree with drinking around the world, I don't hate on the people who do it. I realize that it's something that occurs. I guess what I am trying to say is why make personal attacks? This should be more focused on the smoking spots and there location some of which are very poorly located, I can think of 3 in MK. The same goes for everything I guess, if you don't like a policy for any reason people are so quick to make it about the person who is following the policy more then the people who make the policy.
Disagreeing with a company policy is a personal issue with Disney policy. The question was asked if smoking should be banned in MK. This is asking for opinions. The problem is that this topic leads to thinking that if you attack the act of smoking that you are personally attacking smokers. It becomes hard to separate.

I know in NY that smoking is banned anywhere on school property. You cannot have a cigarette in your car on the outside edge of the parking lot. I THINK that is the case in all 50 states. Why? Because there is a large concentration of children and we do not want to expose the kids to people modeling poor choices. I think it is pretty easy to extend that concept to all of Disney. There is a large concentration of children. Wouldn't it make sense to ban smoking on Disney property as well?

I agree it is the location of spots. That has been repeated ad-nauseum. They are not well marked either. Yes, it is up to Disney to move them. It is just something that was discussed as a less invasive fix over banning it all together.

Again, it is hard not to personalize a concept such as modeling inappropriate behavior. Many have argued that it is legal, therefore it is not inappropriate. Again that brings up the issue of Do we really want our children growing up smoking? It is hard to say that without every smoker taking it as a personal attack. This is just not a topic that can be discussed without taking it personally. It ranks up there with religion and politics.
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #191
EMode
DIS Veteran

I'd support a ban on smoking in the parks. Last visit while trying to sit and enjoy some ice cream outside of Hollywood scoops we were all being choked out by the gross smoke.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #192
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Disney 'could' do a better job of separating the areas.
I bet they are trying to walk the fine line between making them out of the way, and not making them so out of the way that the majority of smokers won't bother using them.

I just went and grabbed a map of the Animal Kingdom. And there are only 5 DSAs in the whole of that park. 5. Not very many when you think of how big AK is, and how much walking you do. Make them too remote and people will just light up wherever.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #193
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

I just went and grabbed a map of the Animal Kingdom. And there are only 5 DSAs in the whole of that park. 5. Not very many when you think of how big AK is, and how much walking you do. Make them too remote and people will just light up wherever.
Smokin' in the boys roooom.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Old 03-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #194
seenellie81
Mouseketeer

If we banned everything that was inappropriate and bad modeling for children...no one would pass the policies to enter. Some of the clothes people wear, the beverages they consume, the food they eat, the reckless spending, language people use. The list coUld go on and on and on. My point was that it's not taken personal but it's personal when people judge people as a person because of their habit to smoke. I don't take it personal that people don't like me smoking or think it should be banned I do take it personal that people say I am reckless or have no care for others around or that I walk around the kids with a smoke. All of which is not true! If a kid comes near by I move or put it out. I don't walk around the park with it either. Again be mad at the policy not the people who follow the policy.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #195
Merida DunBroch
I will fight, I will fly, taste the wind and touch the sky..

I'd rather smoking be banned altogether. I get it, smokers need their nic-fix... But I'm not going to want any future children I may have be inhaling any smoke fumes at the most magical place on earth.

Mom(30-something) Dad(40-something) Me(16) DB(14) DB(11) DB(9) DS(5)
Official lover of Kristoff Bjorgman of Arendelle and Hiro Hamada of San Fransokyo!
"Hello. I am Baymax, your personal healthcare companion."
"THERE ARE NO RED LIGHTS IN A CAR CHASE!!"
"Oh, look at that. I've been impaled."
"There's your act of love right there! Riding across the fjords like a valiant, pungent reindeer king!"
Closed Thread

Tags
ban smoking, magic kingdom, smoking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: