Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Don't Fear the Rain, We Have the "Ducky of Death!"-Jan '14 **Bonus TR DCA 9/1 x2

Hello, welcome, and thank you for checking in on what will be my 4th WDW trip report! I can’t wait to share with you all of the stories from our trip that began in the middle of the last week of January and had us returning home on Super Bowl Sunday. Yes, my Disney addiction has now grown to the point where it dwarfs the Super Bowl in importance as we were flying home during the game. Turned out that I really didn’t miss much. Through my TR I hope to relive our magical trip with my old and new DIS friends. The trip was filled with fun, magic, pirates, princesses, and a certain rubber ducky that joined us halfway through the trip. There’s also a subplot of my journey in attempting to convert a non-Disney believer in our group.

Introducing, the Ducky of Death!

Which gives me the perfect segway to introduce my fellow companions on this trip: DW who may not be as big of a Disney fan as I am but still enjoys our trips, DD7 who is slowly becoming an aficionado of Disney World, DS4 who recently discovered the awesomeness of the Star Wars universe, and myself who according to DD am ALWAYS planning out next trip. We also had my younger brother (DB) who is the non-believer after their last and only trip two years ago that led to lots of heat, crowds, and feet pain, his wife and my sister-in-law (DSIL) who was happy to let me take the reins on all aspects of the planning, and my nephew (DN4) who is the same age as DS and LOVED his first visit to Disney.

We had been trying to convince my brother’s family to join us for a trip to Disney for the past couple of years. As I mentioned, their first visit in May of 2012 was less than of an ideal experience. While DN had lots of fun, my brother felt that it was too much work and energy to call it a “vacation” as he put it. Too much walking, too much heat, too many people, and too many minutes spent in line. Of course you know that I had a rebuttal for each of those points but instead of arguing the details with him I just simply said “Why don’t you come with us next January and leave the planning completely up to me? I think I can give you a completely different experience.” So they agreed and we were excited. The kids were excited to have their cousin join us. Since I was their travel agent for this visit, all they had to remember was bring their Magic Bands with them from home and follow us around the rest of the way. We picked the Animal Kingdom Lodge for our visit. It was our first stay at this intricately gorgeous resort.

As my DIS friends know from my past TRs, photography has become a very serious hobby in the past two years. I picked up my first DSLR in April of 2012 after returning from a wonderful trip at Disney and wishing I had some better pictures to remember it by. Since then photography snowballed into an obsession that is now equal to my Disney addiction. I was able to fully immerse myself in photographing Disney World during my October 2013 trip when I traveled by myself to attend a conference. If you would like to take a look through the TR here’s the link: Discovering A Whole New World of Disney

Not surprisingly, I came back home with far fewer pictures this time around. Chasing after three young children in Disney is a full time job as parents on DIS can attest and it’s challenging to point the camera at a photogenic Disney scene while a 4 year old is tugging on your arms. On top of that, the weather didn’t do any favors as the rain forced me to tuck the camera away more than I wanted to. Nonetheless, I had a wonderful time enjoying Disney with my family! Plus the pictures I was able to get at AKL alone made up for the lack of photos in the park.

This TR is going to follow the model of my last one as I ditch the chronological order and jump around in time. So sit back, relax, and hope you enjoy this edition!

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014 PTR with MiniTRs to Disney Cali Adventure, Oahu, San Diego, and Vegas
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Last edited by DaveinFallsChurch; 08-30-2014 at 12:58 PM.
DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents

If I Could Talk to the Animals...... (touring AKL)
Going With the Flow (Finding Nemo Musical) Part I and Part II
Mulanapalooza (Characterpalooza at DHS)
Bubbles, Paper Doubloons, and Fire (Disney Jr Live and Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular)
You Can Be Who You Want To Be - A Princess and Pirate Adventure Part I and Part II
Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head Part I and Part II
So That's What a Hippo Looks Like Out of Water
Hopping Through Enchanted Tales (ETwB and BOG)
Speed Walking Through the World (Showcase)
The Dark Rides Part I and Part II
Birds of a Feather Part I and Part II
Enter the Ducky of Death (Pirates and Pals Fireworks Cruise)
Tale As Old As Time (DHS Beauty and the Beast show)
Dining with Princesses and Friends Part I and Part II
Roughing It in Adventureland (Jungle Cruise and the Treehouse)
Thrill Seekers
Farewell to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade
Fish, Turtle, and Pigs (Epcot World Showcase)
The Small Joys of Animal Kingdom

DC Interludes

Cherry Blossom Festival: Part I, Part II (Peak Bloom)

A NYC Interlude

Vancouver Mini TR: Part I and Part II

Bonus TRs

Disney California Adventure Part I, Part II, Part III

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014 PTR with MiniTRs to Disney Cali Adventure, Oahu, San Diego, and Vegas
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Last edited by DaveinFallsChurch; 09-01-2014 at 11:26 AM.
DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Ok... Signing on to the Dis just for your new TR
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

I'm in...looking forward to it!!
lovin'fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
VeronicaBride
Earning My Ears

Looking forward to it.
VeronicaBride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Valgoof
DIS Veteran

Yay!! Following along again!

3 trips as a kid/teen-Offsite Dec 2011-Offsite Dec 2012-Pop Century Feb 2014-OKW
Nov 2014-AKV Kidani

Valgoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
MEK
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to your newest TR and you certainly picked a great photo to start with!

Glad that you were able to convert your brother and his family. I had a similar experience with my brother and his family in summer of 2012. I reserved a treehouse and invited them all to come along. After much, and I mean MUCH, consternation they FINALLY agreed to go (my brother was the naysayer) and they ended up having a great time - and in June, no less. Of course, some of that may had to do with my brother's new found love for Stacy!

Anyho - can't wait to see your pics of AKL! Bring it!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I'm in!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
jkclark68
Earning My Ears

I'm in!!! Can't wait to see more and see if you successfully converted your brother!!!

Last edited by jkclark68; 02-23-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
jkclark68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

All set and comfy to follow along again with your wonderful stories and photos Dave!!!!!
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Subbing! Can't wait to hear about it.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
momabbate
Mouseketeer

Subbing in. Can't wait to hear another amazing trip.
I did want to share my hubby's duck with you. He took it out of a pack of ducks I bought for grandson and claimed it as his duck. Poor kids never had a chance. lol
momabbate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
amazingact21
Upendi

I'm along for the ride.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
amazingact21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Subbed in...enjoyed the last TR and looking forward to this one as well. I'm not near the photog you are but enjoy taking pics just the same and enjoy your pics very much.

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: