Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

I just got an e-mail from RCCL announcing the Anthem of the Seas' 2015 Med cruises. Here are the two itineraries that make up the bulk of the summer sailings:

14 Night Italian Mediterranean Cruise
Southampton, England; Gibraltar, United Kingdom; Cartagena, Spain; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; La Spezia (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Provence (Marseilles), France; Cadiz, Spain; Lisbon, Portugal; Vigo, Spain; Southampton, England

14 Night Spain & Med. Beaches Cruise
Southampton, England; Gibraltar, United Kingdom; Malaga, Spain; Villefranche (Nice), France; Palma De Mallorca, Spain; Ibiza, Spain; Cadiz, Spain; Southampton, England

We really want to go to Athens and either Mykonos or Santorini, so neither of those are going to work for us.

Back to waiting for DCL to release their itineraries...

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #17
JoyB-UK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
I just got an e-mail from RCCL announcing the Anthem of the Seas' 2015 Med cruises. Here are the two itineraries that make up the bulk of the summer sailings:

14 Night Italian Mediterranean Cruise
Southampton, England; Gibraltar, United Kingdom; Cartagena, Spain; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; La Spezia (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Provence (Marseilles), France; Cadiz, Spain; Lisbon, Portugal; Vigo, Spain; Southampton, England

14 Night Spain & Med. Beaches Cruise
Southampton, England; Gibraltar, United Kingdom; Malaga, Spain; Villefranche (Nice), France; Palma De Mallorca, Spain; Ibiza, Spain; Cadiz, Spain; Southampton, England

We really want to go to Athens and either Mykonos or Santorini, so neither of those are going to work for us.

DCL is definitely back to Europe in 2015 as she is showing on Norway port schedules but this means she isn't doing a full season in the med. Which means the chances of eastern med might be reduced if they only have 4 weeks in med. It might just stick to the 7 nights from barcelona.
Disneyland - 2011
Disney Cruise Line - 2010, 2011, 2013
Upcoming Cruise - 12 night Disney Magic Med July 2014 B2B 4 night Disney Magic Med August 2014
Other Cruises - Vision of the Seas 2012, Adventure of the Seas 2013, Independence of the Seas 2013
JoyB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2014, 05:52 AM   #18
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyB-UK View Post
DCL is definitely back to Europe in 2015 as she is showing on Norway port schedules but this means she isn't doing a full season in the med. Which means the chances of eastern med might be reduced if they only have 4 weeks in med. It might just stick to the 7 nights from barcelona.
This is exactly what I'm afraid of -- that DCL will bookend the Baltics sailings with a couple of 7-night Meds. I know many here have been waiting for DCL to go back to the Baltics, but we've never been to the Med and want to start there. Nothing to do but wait and see!

Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #19
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:

This is exactly what I'm afraid of -- that DCL will bookend the Baltics sailings with a couple of 7-night Meds. I know many here have been waiting for DCL to go back to the Baltics, but we've never been to the Med and want to start there. Nothing to do but wait and see!
DCL did sandwich the Baltics with the Med last time! So there's hope for you We met a family that sailed the Baltics, the reposition cruise and then the Med.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #20
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I am waiting for these same ports for my 9yo. However, I want to do the Baltics and Norway as well. My 9yo LOVED the excursions Disney was offering for the Med (Greece and Turkey) and how they were very kid friendly.

sweetlovin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #21
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlovin' View Post
I am waiting for these same ports for my 9yo. However, I want to do the Baltics and Norway as well. My 9yo LOVED the excursions Disney was offering for the Med (Greece and Turkey) and how they were very kid friendly.
My 10 yo DD is most excited about Greece as well. We're really looking for a 10-12 day itinerary like the ones DCL offered last year and is offering this year, but it seems that they're feeling the need to change things up! I think the Baltics would be great for a second European cruise, but we really want to see Italy and Greece (and maybe Turkey) first. I wish we could have gone this year!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #22
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

I just read this on http://disneycruiselineblog.com:

For the first time in forever, the Disney Magic will be sailing the Norwegian Fjords based on a port calendar in Geiranger, Norway that was last updated on Tuesday February 25th. The rumors have been swirling for quite some time, but until now there has not been much evidence of the Disney Magic in the Northern Europe. Based on the Geiranger port calendar the Disney Magic will make calls on June 10, 2015 and June 24, 2015. This suggest the Disney Magic will sail a few cruises in Northern Europe in June 2015.

Good news for many here! Not so good for those hoping to book a Med cruise early in the summer. Any cruises prior to the first Northern European sailing will be while many kids (including mine) will still be in school. But maybe this means there will be Med cruises in July??

Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #23
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My 10 yo DD is most excited about Greece as well. We're really looking for a 10-12 day itinerary like the ones DCL offered last year and is offering this year, but it seems that they're feeling the need to change things up! I think the Baltics would be great for a second European cruise, but we really want to see Italy and Greece (and maybe Turkey) first. I wish we could have gone this year!
I home school, so my kids can go anytime. However, my daughter saw the Turkey waterslide excursion and then the youth activity excursions (she will be 10 next summer) and decided Greece and Turkey were the way to go. If they offer one, maybe we will be on the same one. Looks like I am going to be spending a month in Europe cruising the way this is going. She is the only one asking to go on the Med, so it would be the two of us. My other child is asking for Hawaii ;P

sweetlovin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #24
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Adventure and Anthem will sail from Southampton and some of their cruises will be 14 night med cruises. Brilliance sails from Harwich and will only do Baltics/Norway/Iceland and Serenade I think goes from Copenhagen and will just do Baltics. I have heard that vision is in Europe but I don't know which port but probably is the med because I can't see them putting another in Northern Europe.
All of your information has been 100% accurate, JoyB-UK! The itineraries for Vision are up, and she'll be sailing out of Barcelona and doing 12-night Med cruises. Those could work for us if DCL doesn't offer something similar.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #25
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlovin' View Post
I home school, so my kids can go anytime. However, my daughter saw the Turkey waterslide excursion and then the youth activity excursions (she will be 10 next summer) and decided Greece and Turkey were the way to go. If they offer one, maybe we will be on the same one. Looks like I am going to be spending a month in Europe cruising the way this is going. She is the only one asking to go on the Med, so it would be the two of us. My other child is asking for Hawaii ;P
Your kids have good taste!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #26
JoyB-UK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
All of your information has been 100% accurate, JoyB-UK! The itineraries for Vision are up, and she'll be sailing out of Barcelona and doing 12-night Med cruises. Those could work for us if DCL doesn't offer something similar.
If the itineraries are what you like then I would go with royal but you need to get a very good price for Vision. We sailed on her in 2012 and she has been refurbished since but the ship doesn't have much to offer children and we found it quite boring in general, it definitely isn't disney. But if the price is good then it's worth it for the ports. We stayed in a grand suite because of the low price and that made an ok cruise good.
Disneyland - 2011
Disney Cruise Line - 2010, 2011, 2013
Upcoming Cruise - 12 night Disney Magic Med July 2014 B2B 4 night Disney Magic Med August 2014
Other Cruises - Vision of the Seas 2012, Adventure of the Seas 2013, Independence of the Seas 2013
JoyB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #27
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Which one are you looking at Lisa? We still are aiming for a repeat in Alaska in 2015 but I need to research all that might be available. The Med is on our list too as you might know. DS 10 is torn between the two. If airfare to Europe wasn't so dang expensive, I'd book the Med.

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #28
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If the itineraries are what you like then I would go with royal but you need to get a very good price for Vision. We sailed on her in 2012 and she has been refurbished since but the ship doesn't have much to offer children and we found it quite boring in general, it definitely isn't disney. But if the price is good then it's worth it for the ports. We stayed in a grand suite because of the low price and that made an ok cruise good.
We're considering the one on the Vision. We can get a veranda stateroom for the same price as an inside stateroom on the Magic.

We wanted to go on DCL but they aren't doing much to promote loyalty these days IMO. We don't want to do our Med cruise in August either.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #29
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is my concern. I know that everyone says that European cruises are so port intensive that the ship doesn't matter much, but I'm not so sure. Since our DD is on the young side (she'll turn 12 next summer), I think the Disney experience is part of what would make a Med cruise great for her. The prices for Vision are not cheap by any means, but not terribly bad for 12-night cruises.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #30
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post
Which one are you looking at Lisa? We still are aiming for a repeat in Alaska in 2015 but I need to research all that might be available. The Med is on our list too as you might know. DS 10 is torn between the two. If airfare to Europe wasn't so dang expensive, I'd book the Med.

Heather
I'm not 100% sure, but possibly the 12-night Med Greek Isles departing on July 3rd. The 9-night Eastern Med Adventure Cruise, also departing on July 3rd, looks interesting too. I'm not sure I love all the ports, though. What looks good to you?

I hear you on the airfare. That was the straw the broke the camel's back for us this year. I soooo wish we could have taken the DCL Med cruise that we had booked for this June!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: