Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
KanataDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids143 View Post
Thanks, KanataDad!
We actually fly out of Buffalo for our family of 5 and it costs us no more than $1200 usually. I cannot stand Pearson Airport! LOL!
As for WDW we book Bonnet Creek through owners and have gotten it for about $600/week and use Airmiles to redeem for park tickets, usually two adult 5 day passes - can't you tell I'm quite the planner
I'm leaning towards the Dream with the 4 days in the Bahamas as I'd like to go to Atlantis and it seems fairly priced since we are doing the parks, not to mention I'm worried about motion sickness and sea legs
Have you ever visited in October? How's the weather? Is the water still warm enough to swim in? I've read about it being hurricane season that time of year but I'd like to experience the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot.
We usually fly out of Pearson (instead of Ottawa) because it's usually $70 cheaper per person, plus we travel with the inlaws who live in Toronto so we go on the same flight and pay parking for 1 van.

I'd love to save more and fly out of Buffalo or Syracuse, but my inlaws and wife are weary about the time it will take to get there (including delays at border crossing). We paid $1500 for 4 out or Pearson in December 2013 (plus $25 per checked luggage). When I looked at Buffalo (over a period of researching over 4 months) the cheapest we found was $1250 for 4 of us (but it also included free checked luggage). So that would have been a further $200 savings ($25 x 4 bags x 2 way).

Both our cruises were in early December. Again - this is because my family is weary about hurricane season. Never rained on the first cruise, and rained heavy for 1 hour while we were at St Thomas but didn't rain rest of the cruise. Although it was around 24 to 28 degrees celcious and sunny, the water at Castaway was colder. Specially the first cruise - there was almost no one in the water at Castaway. Second cruise was cold but bearable and lots of people in the water.

I wouldn't mind cruising in September/October and save a little over a December cruise, and at the same time enjoy the warmer water.

Next trip is 7 night at DW. We're hoping to alternate (DW one year, cruise the next).

Have a good trip. I'm sure you'll be fine on the cruise in October ... only advice would be to consider something longer than 4 nights (as everyone has suggested) and get trip insurance.

Dec 2010, DCL (Wonder) Bahamas
Dec 2013, DCL (Fantasy) Eastern Caribbean + 4 night DW AoA
Dec 2014, 1 night POR + 4 nights DCL (Dream) Bahamas + 7 nights CSR
Dec 2015, DCL (Fantasy) Western Caribbean + TBD WDW

Last edited by KanataDad; 02-25-2014 at 10:34 AM.
KanataDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #17
my3kids143
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanataDad View Post
We usually fly out of Pearson (instead of Ottawa) because it's usually $70 cheaper per person, plus we travel with the inlaws who live in Toronto so we go on the same flight and pay parking for 1 van.

I'd love to save more and fly out of Buffalo or Syracuse, but my inlaws and wife are weary about the time it will take to get there (including delays at border crossing). We paid $1500 for 4 out or Pearson in December 2013 (plus $25 per checked luggage). When I looked at Buffalo (over a period of researching over 4 months) the cheapest we found was $1250 for 4 of us (but it also included free checked luggage). So that would have been a further $200 savings ($25 x 4 bags x 2 way).

Both our cruises were in early December. Again - this is because my family is weary about hurricane season. Never rained on the first cruise, and rained heavy for 1 hour while we were at St Thomas but didn't rain rest of the cruise. Although it was around 24 to 28 degrees celcious and sunny, the water at Castaway was colder. Specially the first cruise - there was almost no one in the water at Castaway. Second cruise was cold but bearable and lots of people in the water.

I wouldn't mind cruising in September/October and save a little over a December cruise, and at the same time enjoy the warmer water.

Next trip is 7 night at DW. We're hoping to alternate (DW one year, cruise the next).

Have a good trip. I'm sure you'll be fine on the cruise in October ... only advice would be to consider something longer than 4 nights (as everyone has suggested) and get trip insurance.
Thanks, KanataDad!
I booked a 4 day Bahamas cruise in October on the Dream this week. Since this is our first cruise I'm really worried about sea sickness so I thought it would be best to "try" 4 nights and decide later. We will be in Florida for 13 days total and we are also going to be at WDW for a couple days before and after the cruise.
I never thought to get travel insurance when booking the cruise but I usually do buy travel insurance to cover out of country incidents through RBC.
I'm reading a lot on this forum and am having second thoughts about the new cruises ships vs the older Magic and Wonder. Is there one that's better than the other in your opinion?
my3kids143 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #18
Club Disney Chandler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids143 View Post
Thanks, KanataDad!
I booked a 4 day Bahamas cruise in October on the Dream this week. Since this is our first cruise I'm really worried about sea sickness so I thought it would be best to "try" 4 nights and decide later. We will be in Florida for 13 days total and we are also going to be at WDW for a couple days before and after the cruise.
I never thought to get travel insurance when booking the cruise but I usually do buy travel insurance to cover out of country incidents through RBC.
I'm reading a lot on this forum and am having second thoughts about the new cruises ships vs the older Magic and Wonder. Is there one that's better than the other in your opinion?
If I was you, I wouldn't have second thoughts about your choice of ship. You'll notice the people here who like the classics, USUALLY sailed them first, I'm not saying all folks so please don't send bad vibes my way. I've only done Dream class and absolutely love them, but I'm also looking forward to sailing the Wonder in October. I really want to see a classic ship before it gets remained like the Magic. If in doubt of the Dream or Fantasy check out the 2014 cruisecritic.com awards, both of them did quite we'll in large ship category. Just relax, enjoy your planning and start counting the days until you go. Also, be prepared to get hooked
DL: Way too many to count
Club Disney Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #19
my3kids143
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Disney Chandler View Post
If I was you, I wouldn't have second thoughts about your choice of ship. You'll notice the people here who like the classics, USUALLY sailed them first, I'm not saying all folks so please don't send bad vibes my way. I've only done Dream class and absolutely love them, but I'm also looking forward to sailing the Wonder in October. I really want to see a classic ship before it gets remained like the Magic. If in doubt of the Dream or Fantasy check out the 2014 cruisecritic.com awards, both of them did quite we'll in large ship category. Just relax, enjoy your planning and start counting the days until you go. Also, be prepared to get hooked
Lol! No bad vibes at all!
I was going to book the Wonder with the double dip on Castaway Cay but airfare would be more expensive for us those dates so I was able to get October 7-20 for $109 each way on JetBlue.
I will stick to the Dream and have been reading a ton on here. It is a bit confusing but I think once we're on the ship we should be ok.
I just have a feeling we will get hooked as I've heard cruising is awesome! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that motion sickness won't ruin it for me, lol!
my3kids143 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: