Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
kimbe21
Mouseketeer

Ebates 20% back for Orbitz tickets

Today (2/18/14), Ebates is offering 20% back on Orbitz Activity reservations. WDW tickets are considered an Activity Reservation. This is an awesome deal! And YES, you can link your Orbitz tickets to MDE so you can select FP+ ahead of time. You won't be able to link the tickets for about a week and you will have to have a CM do it but the money you save is worth the extra phone call!
kimbe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

I think we posted at the same time.

Here's my plan and I would appreciate anyone with experience with this to tell me if I am wrong on any of the steps...

Step 1: Buy (3) Adult and (1) Child passes from Orbitz with the "Buy 3, Get 2 Free" park hopper option. This costs $1348.31

Step 2: Receive a 20% rebate into my EBates account which will be about $269

Step 3: Buy $500 in Disney Gift Cards from Target using RedCard and Pharmacy discount ($451.25) AND apply the rebate funds for a total cost of $182.25

(...bear with me...you'll see why this step is needed)

Step 4: Redeem ticket vouchers at Guest Relations in October and use them for one day. Then, UPGRADE them to AP's...
...current DVC AP price: $1976.64
...current 5-Day PH proce: $1462.25
...Use the gift cards to pay the difference of $514.39
(**I am aware that the prices for the AP and the park-hoppers will go up between now and October, but it is the difference in price that will impact my overall cost**)

So, based on this plan, my total cost for (4) AP's would be...

$1544.95!

($1348.31 for the Orbitz tickets + $182.25 for the gift cards + $14.39 leftover)

Here's my concerns:

1. Can I use multiple gift cards at guest relations to upgrade to the AP's?
2. There will be no problem with the DATES that I use when buying the tickets through Orbitz, correct? We are looking at flying out on Sunday, but if the only non-stop flight that day is late, we will leave on Saturday instead.
3. If we link the Orbitz tickets to our MDE and make FP+ reservations, what will happen to those FP+ if we upgrade to an AP? I would hope that it wouldn't wipe them out.
4. Final question...how long until the Orbitz rebate posts? Does it hold until AFTER I pick up the tickets? We aren't going until October so if it credits within 6 weeks, I should have no problems getting it (via PayPal) before we leave.

I'm ready to pull the trigger...but I want to make sure my plan is correct.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
kimbe21
Mouseketeer

Wow

Wow! I don't know how much help I can offer but I have to commend you on the thought process! I love the detailed steps all leading to huge money saved!

I don't think it is a problem at all to use multiple gift cards to purchase APs.

As far as the dates go- not sure I understand your question for sure. From what I have found Orbitz only has this ticket deal for certain dates. I entered a 2 week period even though we are only going to be there 8 days. I left a day or 2 on each side of our planned trip in case something happens and we need to adjust the dates.

Not sure about the AP wiping out the scheduled FP+.

I purchased an Orbitz ticket a week ago and the money has already posted to my Ebates account. I have heard that for some people it doesn't post until after their trip. Not sure why it isn't consistent.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

Ok, remind me how this works. I need to get Disneyland tickets, so want to make sure it works the same!
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post

Here's my plan and I would appreciate anyone with experience with this to tell me if I am wrong on any of the steps...

Step 1: Buy (3) Adult and (1) Child passes from Orbitz with the "Buy 3, Get 2 Free" park hopper option. This costs $1348.31

Step 2: Receive a 20% rebate into my EBates account which will be about $269

Step 3: Buy $500 in Disney Gift Cards from Target using RedCard and Pharmacy discount ($451.25) AND apply the rebate funds for a total cost of $182.25

(...bear with me...you'll see why this step is needed)

Step 4: Redeem ticket vouchers at Guest Relations in October and use them for one day. Then, UPGRADE them to AP's...
(**I am aware that the prices for the AP and the park-hoppers will go up between now and October, but it is the difference in price that will impact my overall cost**)

So, based on this plan, my total cost for (4) AP's would be...

$1544.95!

($1348.31 for the Orbitz tickets + $182.25 for the gift cards + $14.39 leftover)

Here's my concerns:

1. Can I use multiple gift cards at guest relations to upgrade to the AP's?
2. There will be no problem with the DATES that I use when buying the tickets through Orbitz, correct? We are looking at flying out on Sunday, but if the only non-stop flight that day is late, we will leave on Saturday instead.
3. If we link the Orbitz tickets to our MDE and make FP+ reservations, what will happen to those FP+ if we upgrade to an AP? I would hope that it wouldn't wipe them out.
4. Final question...how long until the Orbitz rebate posts? Does it hold until AFTER I pick up the tickets? We aren't going until October so if it credits within 6 weeks, I should have no problems getting it (via PayPal) before we leave.

I'm ready to pull the trigger...but I want to make sure my plan is correct.
You can't link them until after you get there. Orbitz just gives you a voucher that you print and turn in and they give you a real ticket for it. I know people have said they were told they could link them but that's incorrect. From my experience using these vouchers, some CMs have no idea what they are or how they work.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
kimbe21
Mouseketeer

I know the linking of the Orbitz vouchers has been a debate on many threads but I have had success linking the tickets. i have spoken with 4 different CM that have replied without hesitation that the vouchers could be linked. Here's what I did:

Purchased a WDW B3G2 ticket from Orbitz. Waited 4 days and called the My Disney Experience help desk and asked them to link my tickets (It takes a few days for the Orbitz confirmation number to enter the Disney system). I gave them the voucher number and the CM said he would work with his tech support to try to link the tickets. At the end of the call he was not able to link the tickets. Two days later I received an email that stated my ticket had been added to MDE. I checked my account and indeed the the 5 day MYW ticket was added and attached to my name. I called the help desk just to verify and the CM said that the ticket was linked and I could begin selecting FP+ at my 60 day window.

What I learned is that it may take 7-10 days for the Orbitz confirmation number to enter the Disney system so I will wait at least that long before I call and try to link the tickets I purchased today.

This was my experience. Others may not have been successful but it can be done!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
parith1114
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know how long this usually lasts? Thanks!

New Year's 96 First trip to Disney off site

04/2001 - off site 03/2003 - off site 04/2004 - off site
04/2005 - off site 05/2006 - POR 09/2006 - ASSports
09/2007 - WL 09/2008 - POP 12/2009 - POP
09/2011 - AsMu 06/2012 - off site 11/2012 - POP
12/2012 - AoA 1/2013 - CSR 6/2014 -YC/CBR
9/2014 - CSR 11/2014 - Dolphin 2/2015 - POFQ
3/2015 - DTD hotel
parith1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
kimbe21
Mouseketeer

1 day

the 20% is just for today and then it will go back to 10%. Ebates runs "double cash back" on at least one vendor every day. They may run this deal for Orbitz again but no one knows when.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
SUSIEQ
DIS Veteran

Great deal!!! Thanks for the info!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
jimandami
DIS Veteran

I have never used ebates before but was just looking at this deal. It seems we would save about $100 on our tickets with the cash back. How does the 20% work? It is put into your ebates account and then you spend it on that site for giftcards?
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
I have never used ebates before but was just looking at this deal. It seems we would save about $100 on our tickets with the cash back. How does the 20% work? It is put into your ebates account and then you spend it on that site for giftcards?
No, they pay out quarterly.

You can choose to receive a check or a Paypal deposit.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
No, they pay out quarterly. You can choose to receive a check or a Paypal deposit.
Thank you!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Just wanted to add my thanks to the OP! I ended up buying a couple of 3+2 hoppers for another time. We have PAPs that are still active but they will expire before we head to F&W in the fall. I was debating whether to purchase the DVC PAP voucher while I'm in Disney next month or if I should just get 5-day hoppers. This pretty much tipped the scale for me.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
AmyAnne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post

A few questions about this. Will Disney really credit you the current 5-day PH price for the Orbitz tickets??

Also, if your plan would work for upgrading to an AP, would it work for upgrading to non-expiring tickets?
AmyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyAnne View Post
A few questions about this. Will Disney really credit you the current 5-day PH price for the Orbitz tickets?? Also, if your plan would work for upgrading to an AP, would it work for upgrading to non-expiring tickets?
It should work. It's called price bridging and as long as you use the ticket once, Disney will credit you the full price.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: