Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #61
shmoogrrrl
Tigger Goddess
Has discovered the mysterious and elusive tag fairie
Has a fondness for 7624

Man, why don't I ever get these surveys?! I don't get surveys and I don't get codes. Disney must hate me.

Anyway. We have sailed on DCL three times before we had kids (one on our honeymoon) and twice with kids. I am 100% against the change for Palo and Remy. We like the adult atmosphere, and while I am sure that your snowflake is perfectly behaved, it doesn't mean that the snowflakes next to you will be as good. I know my 11 year old daughter could happily sit through the meal, and enjoy it, but I also love that my husband and I can get dressed up and have a nice meal together.

Also against lowering the dress code. At least no jeans! Then again, we like dressing up!

As far as picking dining rotations, I don't stress about that at all. I'm not sure we'd pick one early. On our two cruises with kids, we have always gotten a late Palo reservation and just gone to early dinner with the kiddies, then snack on something we think might be good. Afterward, they go to their activities, and we go to dinner.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:40 AM   #62
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
But some places have gone to a policy of NO Children and they are not bars. You are talking Sushi, Italian, and Steak places.

And to the Poster who would not mind a mature teen sitting with parents, but not a table full of teens. If DCL lowers the age, the only way to limit it would be to say there has to be an adult make the ressie but what hapens if the adult does not show?? Really, there is no way to avoid this.

My 2cents: Palo/Remy should be adult only. The adult only places should be adult only places. Don't lower the ages. Don't change the dress code. Sometimes you need to dress up and it is good for you. If you don't like to dress up then don't eat there.

If you don't dress up, it won't effect my dinner or expierance, but I will be disappointed.

Some perspective for you:
Every year USMC celebrates it's bday. Well, for a month they celebrate. It is a formal occasion. Dress Blues Formal Gowns, all the finery you can see and find. It is an hour ceremony, followed by 4-5 course meal, and all the other fine birthday party traditions. It used to be just adults. But now children/teens are coming. The kiddos are dressed in "formals". But they can't sit through the dinner and ceremony. They get bored and restless. They are a distraction.

My kiddos stay home. Have their pizza and soda and dessert. They are much happier. And so are we.
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2014, 01:56 AM   #63
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Put me squarely in the don't lower the age for Palo/Remy category. In our family it's something the kids are looking forward to when they are 18--a consolation prize if you will for not being able to go to the kids clubs anymore. When you age out of the Vibe you age in to the adult activities--including the special restaurants. It doesn't make much sense to me that Disney has even opened up the issue. It's not like it's an easy reservation to get!
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:49 AM   #64
JoyB-UK
Mouseketeer

OP here.
Wow this has really got people stirred up. Do remember this is only a survey and that all it shows is that Disney are opening up a few lines of interest. They just want to see what people think and maybe discount things straight away. No one is saying these things are going to happen any time soon.
Also with regards to lowering the age limit I'm sure it mentioned that it was 16 when accompanied by adults/parents, so there would not be problems with groups of 16-18 year olds going along together, they wouldn't be allowed. I don't know why they would want to, at 16 I couldn't think of anything worse than going to a stuffy restaurant.
Disneyland - 2011
DCL 2010 7 night Western Caribbean, 2011 7 night Med, 2013 4 night Med, 2014 12 night Med, 2014 4 night Med
coming up 2015 Halloween in the Bahamas and WDW
Other Cruises - Baltics Vision of the Seas 2012, Adventure of the Seas 2013, Norway Independence of the Seas 2013
Non Cruise Trips - Barbados, Cuba, New York, LA & Las Vegas, Gambia, Tunisia, Thailand, Berlin, Paris, Majorca, etc.
JoyB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #65
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

I have not received the survey nor seen it's full text. I am hoping with the "Choose Your Own Rotation" option, they would simply mean from the currently available rotations. Everyone making their own rotation willy-nilly would nix having your servers follow you every night, which is a really cool thing DCL does. You would wind up with a bunch of different servers, which could require a major shift in how DCL handles tips as they would have to be divided between multiple people.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #66
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoogrrrl View Post
Man, why don't I ever get these surveys?! I don't get surveys and I don't get codes. Disney must hate me. Anyway. We have sailed on DCL three times before we had kids (one on our honeymoon) and twice with kids. I am 100% against the change for Palo and Remy. We like the adult atmosphere, and while I am sure that your snowflake is perfectly behaved, it doesn't mean that the snowflakes next to you will be as good. I know my 11 year old daughter could happily sit through the meal, and enjoy it, but I also love that my husband and I can get dressed up and have a nice meal together. Also against lowering the dress code. At least no jeans! Then again, we like dressing up! As far as picking dining rotations, I don't stress about that at all. I'm not sure we'd pick one early. On our two cruises with kids, we have always gotten a late Palo reservation and just gone to early dinner with the kiddies, then snack on something we think might be good. Afterward, they go to their activities, and we go to dinner.
Lol re your snowflake. Sorry but that really made me laugh :-)
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #67
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
I am going to chime in here. This may seem harsh but I don't believe in sugar coating things. I hope beyond belief DCL does not lower the age limit for Palo. If they do this I fear the next step will be lowering the age limit for the cove then the clubs. Part of the reason I choose to cruise DCL is the adult only activities. Yes I fully understand there are plenty of children/teens on DCL. They have their areas. I don't want to lose my area. I am sorry for those who feel they have the perfect 16 or 17 year old, I am sure you do, but I want my adult only area to remain just that. Sorry about the rant.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
THIS
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #68
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicDisneyDuo View Post
I have not received the survey nor seen it's full text. I am hoping with the "Choose Your Own Rotation" option, they would simply mean from the currently available rotations. Everyone making their own rotation willy-nilly would nix having your servers follow you every night, which is a really cool thing DCL does. You would wind up with a bunch of different servers, which could require a major shift in how DCL handles tips as they would have to be divided between multiple people.
I think they mean the current available rotations.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #69
RhodyChief
Earning My Ears

I can see it now...

"New to Disney Cruise Line: Dining Plus! Looking to pick which restaurants you get to eat at every night? Well now you can! For a small nominal fee of $25 per person per night you have the freedom to choose! Want to eat in the Enchanted Garden every single night? Why the hell not! Want to bring the kids to Palo or Remy? (additional fees still apply) They're more than welcome! How about a special romantic dinner with you and your special someone in an adults only environment? Absolutely! There will be a designated 1 hour period between 5 and 6 where adults may dine alone, are quickly rushed through their meal (no bread service, no sharing of additional entrees) and told to leave immediately to welcome in more mone...er, families to experience these expensi...er, unique dining venues!"
RhodyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #70
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyB-UK View Post
OP here.
Wow this has really got people stirred up. Do remember this is only a survey and that all it shows is that Disney are opening up a few lines of interest.
Stirred up is putting it mildly, foaming at the mouth is more accurate in many cases. It really makes me wonder why people are so upset about it. It's just a question. They're doing a survey and haven't changed a thing.

If people are that uptight about just the idea of a few kids in the Disney restaurant, I can't imagine why they'd want to vacation where there are so many kids to begin with. It certainly makes me wonder If the coat check will be full of a bunch of spotted fur coats.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #71
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancipants View Post
If teens can dine in Palo does that mean I can go play in Vibe?
Actually, you CAN, during open house hours Of course if your teen wants to be within a deck's distance of you, then I guess it's ok...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #72
shmoogrrrl
Tigger Goddess
Has discovered the mysterious and elusive tag fairie
Has a fondness for 7624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Lol re your snowflake. Sorry but that really made me laugh :-)
Sometimes I refer to my kids as my special snowflakes. My five year old thinks it is funny, but it makes my 11 year old VERY mad, because she knows that the term, even though I am using it as a term of endearment, is often used negatively.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #73
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
i am going to chime in here. This may seem harsh but i don't believe in sugar coating things. I hope beyond belief dcl does not lower the age limit for palo. If they do this i fear the next step will be lowering the age limit for the cove then the clubs. Part of the reason i choose to cruise dcl is the adult only activities. Yes i fully understand there are plenty of children/teens on dcl. They have their areas. I don't want to lose my area. I am sorry for those who feel they have the perfect 16 or 17 year old, i am sure you do, but i want my adult only area to remain just that. Sorry about the rant.

Sent from my iphone 5 using disboards
+1
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #74
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl09 View Post
Put me squarely in the don't lower the age for Palo/Remy category. In our family it's something the kids are looking forward to when they are 18--a consolation prize if you will for not being able to go to the kids clubs anymore. When you age out of the Vibe you age in to the adult activities--including the special restaurants. It doesn't make much sense to me that Disney has even opened up the issue. It's not like it's an easy reservation to get!
The gap they have is 18-20. Those people cannot go to the kids clubs, or the adult bars.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #75
ahain
Thankful & Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLightyearInTampa View Post
The gap they have is 18-20. Those people cannot go to the kids clubs, or the adult bars.
I read on the DCL website that 18yr olds can go to the "adult-only" bars/clubs...just not drink alcohol. For example (from the DCL website):

Europa, located on Deck 4, Aft of the Disney Fantasy, is a nighttime entertainment district exclusively for Guests ages 18 and older. Europa is home to a variety of sophisticated lounges and nightclubs, including:
•La Piazza
•O'Gills Pub
•Ooh La La
•Skyline
•The Tube
Disney Wonder - Alaska - 6/2015 ......Disney Dream - 4 night Bahamas - 4/2015...Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2014...Disney Fantasy - 7 night Eastern Caribbean - 4/2014 .....Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2012
ahain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: