Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #46
BenbowInn
Mouseketeer

I think Disney would rather have families in their staterooms over couples anyways, so all the childless couples giving up on DCL over this is pretty much doing Disney a financial favor I would think.

Two adults with a couple of kids brings in more money than a childless couple does. We are two adults and one child and to DCL we are taking up space that a larger family would be paying for, so all the negative feedback by childless cruisers might be causing you to shoot yourselves in the foot. I'm sure Disney is well aware that it's better off having a family of 4-5 people per stateroom than a couple who are more likely to bring their own alcohol onboard (cause really, its hard enough packing for kids so I kinda doubt couples with children pack as much alcohol in their luggage as childless cruisers do) and spend less on board on top of paying a lower fair to begin with.

Maybe their making these changes to encourage more families to cruise and less couples, because cruises have such a low profit margin as it is, so every dollar counts and it just makes financial sense to prefer families.

Just my two cents about it. As far as my personal opinion...I don't care either way if there are adults only areas or not. I rather enjoy kids and can relax just as well with screaming kids around as I can without them. If I wanted an adults only vacation I sure as heck wouldn't pick a company that caters to children to begin with and then expect adults only time.
BenbowInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #47
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenbowInn View Post
. If I wanted an adults only vacation I sure as heck wouldn't pick a company that caters to children to begin with and then expect adults only time.
I completely disagree with this. Disney caters to all not just children or people who have children. That's part of the beauty of Disney. On a ship it's nice to have my own areas that are tranquil. There are plenty of places for the families on the ships. No need to change this period. Zero.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #48
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't mind a mature teenager sitting with his or her parents, but what scares me would be a group of teens from the vibe deciding to get a table at Palo together. It would potentially be like sitting through a restaurant during Homecoming or Prom.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #49
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

while i am thinking about a brunch in palo on our upcoming cruise (because our grown children will be with us) i can say i only have been to palo once and did not care for it.
that being said, i would not be happy if they changed the age limit to below 18. i feel that the dining experience is often 'date night' for people and rather special. i think the idea of being able to look around and see a more mature crowd adds to the specialness. as to the dress code, i think jeans are pushing the envelope a bit. keep it as it is. raising the price? well, i thought the $15 i paid the one time i went was a lot for what was there. to me, nothing more special than in the dinning rooms. again, thats just me.
we all know if disney can get more bang for the buck they will. if people will pay it, they will raise the cost of it. its all going to come down to the general feed back they get from the survey and maybe what they read on the boards. the only reason i'm posting on this is incase disney does read the boards, its one vote against.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #50
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

We should do a poll on the lowering age limit at Palo. I just told my hubby this came up on a survey, and his response was a resounding NOOOOOOO.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #51
krisbars
Mouseketeer

I totally agree with picking what restaurant you will eat at each night. I was thinking of doing Palo, but I absolutely don't want to unintentionally miss Animator's Palate. I'm coming from Seattle, so a champagne brunch at 11:30 would be breakfast for us, since we're three hours behind. Opening up an adult-only experience to teenagers is not ideal at all. Even though Disney caters to children, it also caters to parents of children who need a break once in awhile. This is the pull for families. It is so exciting that my husband and I can reconnect on the ship before starting the whole DW trip. Now, on the flip side, so many cruise reviews put down DCL because of screaming kids. If you are not partial to kids, then you may want to consider a different cruise line.
krisbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #52
Kitster
Crazy about Stitch

If they lower the age requirement to allow teens into Palo, I want Disney to raise the age limit to get into the Lab. Turn about's fair play. If they're going to remove yet another 'adult's only' venue, they need to remove a 'kid's only' venue in return.

Disney Wonder: 11/2002; 11/2004; 11/2005; 9/2006; 9/2009
Disney Magic: 12/2010 (B2B Christmas cruise)
Celebrity Millenium (Alaska): 6/2011
Disney Fantasy MV: 3/2012
Disney Dream: 10/2013 B2B
NCL Pride of America 7 night Hawaiian cruise then Disney's Aulani: 1/31 - 2/16/2015 (BD celebration)
Kitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #53
Maddon
Earning My Ears

I'm a Mother of three children, two of which are teens, I absolutely do not want teens in Palo or Remy. I choose to pay extra to cruise with Disney because it's one of the few vacations that we take as a family where I can escape for a few hours knowing my children are happy enjoying their age appropriate activities. In my every day life I rarely get adult alone time with my husband. The last thing I want to put up with when we finally get a date night is children, mine or others, in an adult area. Please DCL do not mess with this rule.

What's next allowing teens on Serenity Bay beach? I feel there are enough family activities and dinning options that family's can participate in together on the ship. I also firmly believe it's is healthy for my children to see and understand that grownups need time to nurture their relationships. This means sometimes adults need their own space where those under 18 are not allowed.
Maddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #54
SolitaryPhoenix
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
... Disney caters to all not just children or people who have children. That's part of the beauty of Disney. On a ship it's nice to have my own areas that are tranquil. There are plenty of places for the families on the ships. No need to change this period. Zero.
Totally agree with this, even though I haven't yet cruised. The fact that Disney caters to families of all types, shapes and sizes - those with 5 kids, 2 babies, or no kids - is the beauty of it as a product. I'm going on board with my senior mom, my 17 year old daughter, my 16 year old nephew, and I know we'll all have things we like to do there, just like when we go to WDW.

When I first read this item, I started thinking, that would be nice, I could have a nice dinner with mom, Jasmine, and Jonathan...but then thought, heck, no! There are dining choices all over the ship, there's no reason to have one of the few adult-only options opened up to all ages as well. Having an option for adults to look forward to for date night, kids safely tucked away in a kids only club, or a place teens can start looking forward to visiting when they hit the magic 18, I think is a good option, and they should keep it that way. In my humble opinion, of course.
11/04 ~ PC | 10/3-10/8/05 ~ PC | 12/16-12/18/05 ~ CS | 1/27-1/29/06 ~ split PC/CS | 3/3-3/5/06 ~ POR | 9/24-9/30/06 ~ split Swan/POR | 6/6-6/9/07 ~ PC | 6/8-6/14/08 ~ POR ~ DD 1st visit! | 9/12-9/14/08 ~ AKV Jambo ~ 1st as DVC members! | 12/19-12/21/08 ~ WL [DVC] | 5/10-5/14/09 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] | 6/5-6/7/09 ~ PC |7/26-7/28/09 ~ OKW [DVC] with DD | 9/17-9/19/10 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] ~ Mom's 75th, whole family's coming! | 6/24-6/26/11 ~ FW with DD|6/1-6/3/12 ~ FW with DD, nephew + friends | 6/24-6/29/12 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] ~ My '50 Is The New 40' Birthday Celebration! |8/9-8/12/12 ~ FW with DD + friend | 9/21-23/12 ~ AKV [DVC] ~ first stay at Kidani! | 2/8-2/10/13 ~ PC | 3/2-3/3/13 ~ PC w/ DD + friend | 5/10-5/12/13 ~ CS w/ DD ~ Solo Camping Trip!| 9/13 - 9/16/13 ~ AKV-Kidani | April 4 thru 6, 2014 ~ AKV-Kidani ~ Flower & Garden | June 21 to June 22, 2014 ~ WL ~ DD and me!
September 4 thru 7, 2014 ~ Disney Dream cruise with the family! || September 27 to September 28, 2014 ~ OKW ~ aunt/nephew time! || November 13 thru 16, 2014 ~ FW ~ camping with DD
SolitaryPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #55
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDS View Post
Entertaining a child is not the servers job. Get rid of the tipping, have the server earn a decent wage and answer to a manager rather than the diner and that problem will stop. I've been to many high end restaurants both at home and while traveling, and I've seen children at them all. When you go out to a nice restaurant while not on vacation do you only go to one that does not allow kids? The few places I can think of that have rules like that specifically in place are actually more Bar than restaurant (and not particularly high class establishments). If you are out as a couple on the ship, then seating you at your own table should suffice as much there as it would on land.

Allowing kids does not mean that it is "child-focused" and it may not even appeal to kids. Some may not want to come if it is too lengthy or has no kids menu and therefore won't be there.

I guess I just don't feel burdened that someone at the next table has a kid with them. I also don't care what kind of pants they have on as long as they have something on.

But some places have gone to a policy of NO Children and they are not bars. You are talking Sushi, Italian, and Steak places.

And to the Poster who would not mind a mature teen sitting with parents, but not a table full of teens. If DCL lowers the age, the only way to limit it would be to say there has to be an adult make the ressie but what hapens if the adult does not show?? Really, there is no way to avoid this.

My 2cents: Palo/Remy should be adult only. The adult only places should be adult only places. Don't lower the ages. Don't change the dress code. Sometimes you need to dress up and it is good for you. If you don't like to dress up then don't eat there.

If you don't dress up, it won't effect my dinner or expierance, but I will be disappointed.

Some perspective for you:
Every year USMC celebrates it's bday. Well, for a month they celebrate. It is a formal occasion. Dress Blues Formal Gowns, all the finery you can see and find. It is an hour ceremony, followed by 4-5 course meal, and all the other fine birthday party traditions. It used to be just adults. But now children/teens are coming. The kiddos are dressed in "formals". But they can't sit through the dinner and ceremony. They get bored and restless. They are a distraction.

My kiddos stay home. Have their pizza and soda and dessert. They are much happier. And so are we.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #56
minniemouse1
Member of the Grand Slam Club!

I am NOT in favor of lowering the age for the adult only areas nor am I in favor of relaxing the dress code. I did not inform my family that semi formal and formal nights were optional dress. I enjoy dressing up for dinner and do not want the dress code relaxed anymore than it already is.
Wonder 2001 4 Day
Magic 2003 7 Day Western
Magic 2005 7 Day Eastern
Magic 2007 7 Day Eastern
Dream 2011 4 Day
Fantasy 2014 7 Day
Magic 2015 7 Day Mediterranean
DH me DD13 DD12 DD9 DS5
minniemouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #57
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddon View Post
I'm a Mother of three children, two of which are teens, I absolutely do not want teens in Palo or Remy. I choose to pay extra to cruise with Disney because it's one of the few vacations that we take as a family where I can escape for a few hours knowing my children are happy enjoying their age appropriate activities. In my every day life I rarely get adult alone time with my husband. The last thing I want to put up with when we finally get a date night is children, mine or others, in an adult area. Please DCL do not mess with this rule.

What's next allowing teens on Serenity Bay beach? I feel there are enough family activities and dinning options that family's can participate in together on the ship. I also firmly believe it's is healthy for my children to see and understand that grownups need time to nurture their relationships. This means sometimes adults need their own space where those under 18 are not allowed.
Well said! I have 2 teen boys, the oldest is 17. Would he enjoy Palo? Probably but then it wouldn't be a special night for me & dh alone. I also don't mind dressing up and while we don't bring a tux for dh, we do bring a full suit/tie and long dress instead of barely passing a dress code. It's not all that hard to pack since we need garment bags for dinner clothes anyway.

I can't even believe that people would complain that they can't bring their kids! Who does this?
The MDRs are fun but after a while the volume is similar to a lunch room at an elementary school. We enjoy the quiet, intimate atmosphere at Palo and certainly hope they don't change the age or dress code there. If people want to wear jeans & flip flops and eat with their kids, there are other facilities onboard where they would be accommodated. Kids don't need full run of the ship. What's next? The bridge? Why can't some parents handle being able to tell their kids NO! and just let them deal with it. We've all had to at one point or another in life when we were kids.

Sheesh... some crybabies have to ruin a good thing for everyone.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #58
Hunclemarco
DIS Veteran

I love kids, but parents need their personal time...we're only talking a few hours here. As mentioned before, there are many other opportunities/restaurants for families to eat together. Disney replicated the "traditional cruise ships" when designing their fleet. They were elegant much of the time in their day... Let Palo and Remy stay as is.

January 1979 Offsite; January 1992 POR; March 1999Honeymoon ; May 2002 CBR; May 2008 Offsite; November 2008 CBR March 2009 DVC SSR, BCV; August 2009 DVC AKV,BCV; December 2009 DVC SSR; February 2010 DVC BCV; November 2010 DVC BWV; May 2011 POP; March 2012 DCL Dream and POP; May 2012 POP; April 2013 DVC BCV; November 2013 CSR; Yacht Club, DCL Dream and BWV May 2014
Hunclemarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #59
figment52
Oh man, I checked out the website only to discover that I am Older than Peeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbelleMom View Post
I totally agree! When my girlfriends and I cruise we alway choose Disney because of its strict adult only policy. When we cruise with the family, it's become a treat for our oldest to be able to join us in those areas, away from her younger sisters, but she had to wait until she hit 18 to do so.
I agree. DCL Please don't drop the age to allow those under 18 .
figment52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #60
aan1701
DIS Veteran

From the look of it, and I believe one poster has already done this, maybe we should do a email campaign to DCL.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: