Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #31
pigletforever
DIS Veteran

They have already started testing the Wine Pairing menu. It was 6 courses with 6 wines. They were not full pours nor were they full servings. We were on the Wonder in November and got to try it. It had been out for about 3 weeks. It was excellent but I am sure most would not like it. We loved it. And would pay the extra money to do it again. I will try to find my menu of the meal and post it.

It was nice that the sommelier came at each course to pour the wine and give us an education on the wine and the region it came from and why it was chosen for that course.

1994 off site (WDW), 1996 Contemp (WDW),
2006 AKL CL (WDW), 2009 OCTOBER 21-25 Sheraton Anaheim (DLR), 2010 Jan 4 -9 Holiday Inn and Suites (DLR)
Dec2010/Jan 2011WL (WDW), November 16,2013 Wonder, November 23, 2014 Magic
pigletforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #32
TAK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDS View Post
Guess I'm the lone person then that couldn't care less if they lowered the age limit to 0 for both Palo and Remy. I presume that you'd still pay to bring kids in just like the adults pay.
Disney is a line that is supposed to cater to families and to me that means doing things as a family. I'd prefer to be able to bring my son with us and it would make it a much more fulfilling experience.
With all due respect -- if Disney is supposed to cater to families, then that includes the fact that families come in all shapes and sizes. My husband and I are a family of two adults. We cruise on Disney because they respect that families of adults enjoy the Disney experience, too, and adults sometimes appreciate a night out in mature company only.

All the other eating places on the ship are child-focused and welcoming. And I actually think it's sweet, for example, when our server in the MDR is spending time entertaining a child at the next table, even if it takes away from his service at our table. But to take away the only dining option (aside from room service) that gives adults their own venue would be unreasonable, imho.
TAK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #33
Started With a Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I disagree, they might lose your money, but they'll make it up with others. imagine the tables for two turning into tables for families. instead of $50 per couple, it'll be $100 for a family of 4.
You are so correct. It's all about the bottom line.
Started With a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #34
holula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I disagree, they might lose your money, but they'll make it up with others. imagine the tables for two turning into tables for families. instead of $50 per couple, it'll be $100 for a family of 4.
Except they will also lose the money for our cruise. If DCL doesn't have adult only escapes, we will probably try Celebrity. If they start making adult only areas not adult only anymore, I suspect they will alienate couples.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #35
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Hope DCL doesn't go for this. Not going to say that, if they do, we won't cruise on DCL again. (It is more than likely that the 15 month limit on advance bookings onboard, we won't book again).
I do think the two types of reservation, one at a 20% discount, is funny in some respects. Is DCL coming to the conclusion that they are overcharging for their product by 20%? Would they keep other types of discounts?
As for the lowering the age in Palo and Remy--oh, heck no. Or, only if adults get to go play in the arcade...
Old 02-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #36
KathleenlovesMickey
Mouseketeer

I also cruise with just my husband.. I DO NOT want the age limit dropped. I love seeing all the kids I actually enjoy the family beach better but REmy and Palo need to stay for adults only. I wish I could get a survey. I also think the dining attire should stay the same its all part of the ambiance.
Cruise the Magic Oct 11 2014
B2B cruise from San Juan to Port Canaveral Oct 2014
Cruise on Fantasy March 1 2014
Became Premier Pass owners Oct 2013
WDW October 2013
WDW May 2013
Disney Cruise 4/12/08
WDW 4/19-28/08
Disneyland to many times to count
KathleenlovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #37
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I also do not want to see the age limits lowered for Palo, even though it would mean one of my kids would be in that range. Saying adults only could be later in the evening simply would not work. Why should we have to eat later to get a nicer atmosphere without kids? Also, the way Palo seats parties there is an overlap so there wouldn't be a time when all of the kid tables would be gone before an adults only reservation arrives.

If you want to talk bottom line, this change would mean even more free meals for platinum guests if they include guests younger than 18. Of course, that is if DCL keeps the only platinum only benefit.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #38
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
With all due respect -- if Disney is supposed to cater to families, then that includes the fact that families come in all shapes and sizes. My husband and I are a family of two adults. We cruise on Disney because they respect that families of adults enjoy the Disney experience, too, and adults sometimes appreciate a night out in mature company only.

All the other eating places on the ship are child-focused and welcoming. And I actually think it's sweet, for example, when our server in the MDR is spending time entertaining a child at the next table, even if it takes away from his service at our table. But to take away the only dining option (aside from room service) that gives adults their own venue would be unreasonable, imho.
Entertaining a child is not the servers job. Get rid of the tipping, have the server earn a decent wage and answer to a manager rather than the diner and that problem will stop. I've been to many high end restaurants both at home and while traveling, and I've seen children at them all. When you go out to a nice restaurant while not on vacation do you only go to one that does not allow kids? The few places I can think of that have rules like that specifically in place are actually more Bar than restaurant (and not particularly high class establishments). If you are out as a couple on the ship, then seating you at your own table should suffice as much there as it would on land.

Allowing kids does not mean that it is "child-focused" and it may not even appeal to kids. Some may not want to come if it is too lengthy or has no kids menu and therefore won't be there.

I guess I just don't feel burdened that someone at the next table has a kid with them. I also don't care what kind of pants they have on as long as they have something on.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #39
slg
DIS Veteran

for those of us who need two cabins side by side or adjoining due to our family size, we are NEVER able to take advantage of the GT rates even if we wanted to. I would be fine with allowing DCL to put me wherever they wanted as long as they could guarantee we would have the rooms side by side. As it is, we try to book with the 10% off OBB, but now that peak periods are likely to get blacked out, those of us with large families who have to cruise during school breaks, are unlikely to get any break.

Wish they could offer GT with at least side by side cabin guarantees if you are a family with children under 21. That would make GT possible for a lot of people. Heck, I'd even go with across from one another.

As for Palo and Remy, I actually think the age should be 21, so I don't agree that it should be lowered. There needs to be some adults only places for those we just want to escape the constant noise of all the children. And while my 15 year old is very mature, it just changes the nature of the evening.

I would not support it at all.

And as for dress code. Dear me...I think we should have some sort of dress code for a lovely evening! I'm not even telling my family that they changed the MDR, as I love dressing up for dinner. It is part of the evening for me. I understand other people prefer to be casual, and that doesn't bother me, as long as they aren't at our table!
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #40
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

I definitely do not want to see the age lowered at Palo. DH and I spent a fortune for a nice dinner one night at the California Grill at the Contemporary. Our ADR was for 8:30 pm. The place was overrun with young kids whose parents apparently did not want to "parent". We were on our second honeymoon and had been seated near the window for Wishes. Suddenly, we were surrounded by young kids and teens pushing past and around our table, actually surrounding us and fighting over who was going to get closest to the window. I know that there is a big difference between younger kids and teens, as far as how they would conduct themselves in a restaurant, but the reality is that it all contributes to the ambience of elegance and romance when it is adults-only.

All that being said, the reason DH and I cruise on DCL even when we cruise alone is specifically for the adult areas and the adults-only Palo. I can pretty much guarantee that the absence of those features will likely lead us to choosing another cruise line, since that aspect of DCL, which is a huge seller to us, will no longer distinguish DCL from other cruise lines.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #41
kylmac
Mouseketeer

I love my children but I enjoy time away from them at Remy or Palo. I think the age should be kept at 18-I enjoy time with my husband and enjoy the elegance of Remy and Palo.
Elizabeth
kylmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #42
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

This survey indicates that DCL is trying to fix what isn't broken ...for us anyway.

The day they lower the Palo age limit is the day we stop going to Palo.
So what? Age sixteen next year, and twelve after that?

Sorry, but teens change the ambiance. We consider the upcharge to cover not only the better food, but the nicer and quieter atmosphere. What happens when a big group sails together and sends a handful of 16 year olds to Palo on their own without any adults? My luck is that they're at the table next to us (insert righteous comment about rather being next to a table of 16 year olds than drunk adults here).

And isn't the dress code relaxed enough? Ughh.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #43
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

So that Option B pricing sounds interesting. If it was available as far in advance as Option A fares, I would totally go for it! The *GT rates are so last-minute that it's hard to plan.

As far as the ages for Palo and Remy....we have 3 kids, but I wholeheartedly hope that the age stays at 18!
Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern October 2014
MissDaisyofTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #44
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyTG View Post
To lower the age for Palo and Remy would be absolutely ridiculous.

What's next:
Allowing teenagers to play in Andy's room during scheduled times?
Allowing 4 year olds in the teen area (again during scheduled times)?
Allowing a 19 year old in the teen area (haven't we already seen problems with this)?

I say don't mess with the areas for the specific aged kids and that includes leaving the areas for the 18+ kids (aren't we all kids when you think of Disney) alone.
It is funny you mention this. I was surprised when my girls via Edge and their counselors DID invade other areas. Always during times that it was closed to others. So for our Dream cruise, on CC day--Vibe stayed on the island and Edge invaded their pool in the afternoon. One other night--really late, they were to invade the Oceaneer's Club. But mom was mean and it was past their curfew. They were quite displeased.

That said--we have only traveled with children. I am NOT in favor of changing adult only areas to include minors of any age.

At least DCL is asking. It seems they had enough suggestions, but before implementing it--they knew enough to check first. Hopefully, status quo wins and adults areas are kept that way. Now if only they would fix the poor design of the forward elevator location on Deck 11. By day 4, we finally remembered to head midship before going up. But I felt bad for families because by time you realized the mistake, it was too late and just better to hustle.

We need connecting staterooms (won't travel without them)--so GTY, even for a 20% discount won't tempt us. Our first and last time doing a GTY was for our honeymoon on Carbival and we were in a forward (as in front of the ship) cabin. We always had to have our curtains drawn after dark because lighting affected navigation. I much prefer picking my cabin ahead of time. I hope they donr charge me more (via a surcharge) for that privilege.
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #45
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

One additional comment-- they already allow minors in Chil Spa. On the Dream if is a separate room, but still within Senses. It did not bother me and we were tempted to partake. We ended up not doing so.

The arrangement didn't bother me since I wouldn't be getting a pedicure next to someone else's kid.

But in more open venues, that separation is not possible.
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: