Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #16
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Every time DH and I dined at Palo we kept thinking "Darn, I wish Rachel could try this chicken parm, etc." We liked the way other cruise lines allowed younger teens. That said...once we thought about it, our next sentence was..."she'll just have to wait though. We're the adults, and she's the child."

I agree with the poster whose parents said.."you'll have your turn one day." Same here with my parents. It wasn't even open for discussion. I'd see them getting dressed-up for an adults-only event, or party, and KNEW not to even ask "may I go?"

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #17
taswira
"Let It Go" - but carefully guard your secrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
I was chosen to take this survey as well, and have to admit I was not happy with a good portion of it.

First, the main dining rotation questions were all good. I would love to see that changed where you can select the rotation you would prefer as it would help tremendously with booking other things such as upcharge dining, and in some cases shore excursions.

But that second set of questions about Palo and Remy? Boy, was I not pleased with any of it. The questions regarding the minimum age were a hot button. I love cruising DCL because they have always been awesome about adult-only areas. Sorry, but when I was growing up my parents taught us that some things were just meant for us to wait for. There was no whining and fussing about it - just a matter of fact, "this is for adults, you will get your turn someday." DCL needs to stop listening to the gripers who want their kids to have everything NOW.

The second group of questions regarding Palo and Remy were another hot button with me. While I don't get my panties in a wad over the main dining rooms dress code, I do feel Palo and Remy (especially at dinner time) should remain an elegant evening. DCL has already relaxed the main dining dress code...that should be enough. If they relax the upcharge dress code as well (yes, the questions were pointed towards allowing jeans), forget about seeing any extra money from me in those dining rooms. C'mon DCL - some of us would like to have a nice, elegant evening.

Off my soapbox.
Absolutely!
taswira is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #18
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

Guess I'm the lone person then that couldn't care less if they lowered the age limit to 0 for both Palo and Remy. I presume that you'd still pay to bring kids in just like the adults pay.
Disney is a line that is supposed to cater to families and to me that means doing things as a family. I'd prefer to be able to bring my son with us and it would make it a much more fulfilling experience.
I suspect that if they lower the age it won't make any difference to Disney's bottom line, while some might stop dining at the upscale restaurants, others will begin, since it sounds like they are usually a sellout anyway, there are probably plenty of people waiting to fill in the empty seats.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #19
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holula View Post
If they lowered the minimum age for Palo they would lose my money. I like it being an adult only area. If they change one thing to 16+ where does it stop?

Now choosing your dining rotation (or selecting your preference) would be an EXCELLENT improvement!
I disagree, they might lose your money, but they'll make it up with others. imagine the tables for two turning into tables for families. instead of $50 per couple, it'll be $100 for a family of 4.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #20
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
I am going to chime in here. This may seem harsh but I don't believe in sugar coating things. I hope beyond belief DCL does not lower the age limit for Palo. If they do this I fear the next step will be lowering the age limit for the cove then the clubs. Part of the reason I choose to cruise DCL is the adult only activities. Yes I fully understand there are plenty of children/teens on DCL. They have their areas. I don't want to lose my area. I am sorry for those who feel they have the perfect 16 or 17 year old, I am sure you do, but I want my adult only area to remain just that. Sorry about the rant. Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
Completely agree with this.

I'm fine with the other stuff in the survey. Choosing your dining rotation would be nice. We don't do pirates night so I'd always choose to skip that if I could.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #21
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Here is a bit more detail of the survey posted by Disney Fantasy on Cruise Critic:

Quote:
Just answered an interesting DCL Survey questions included when to know your MDR rotation, say in advance of cruise, Adult exclusive areas, age limits, the cost of Palo the cost of Remy, if we go, whats our comments on value also these questions on dress code in Palo and other services;-

Palo dress code Men: Nice jeans (no holes) with blazer, and camp style linen shirts (ex. Tommy Bahama shirts).
Women: Nice jeans (no holes), and Capri pants.
Age changes teenage children
Sweet Spot Dessert Event - A one of a kind dessert experience presenting some of the top delicacies in a wonderful adult exclusive setting at Palo / Remy. Desserts are presented table side and/or plated with the option of incorporating a special champagne pairing menu. This event would be a unique offering guests could book and would not be offered as part of Palo/Remy dinner. - Starting price of $50 per person

Palo Wine Tasting Menu - Sample an array of chef specialty dishes with specially selected wine pairings - starting price of $50 per person (in addition to $25 per person service charge)

Option A: For the standard price of a Disney Cruise...
Choose your stateroom category and, if desired, your specific stateroom
Choose Main or Second dinner seating for your dining rotation - as a reminder, your dining rotation indicates the dining venue where you are scheduled to eat each night; Main dinner seating begins between 5:30 and 6:00pm and Second seating begins between 8:00 and 8:30pm
Deposit is due at time of booking with final payment due 90-150 days prior to cruise (depending on cruise length and room category)
Book up to 15 months prior to your cruise
Changes to reservation may be made as needed according to Terms and Conditions

Option B: For a discounted rate on a Disney Cruise (up to 20% off)...
Select a guaranteed stateroom type (Inside, Oceanview, or Verandah) but Disney Cruise Line assigns you to a category and stateroom based on availability
Disney Cruise Line assigns you to Main or Second dinner seating based on availability rotation - as a reminder, your dining rotation indicates the dining venue where you are scheduled to eat each night; Main dinner seating begins between 5:30 and 6:00pm and Second seating begins between 8:00 and 8:30pm
Full Payment is due at time of booking (Non-Refundable)
Book 1-2 months (at most) prior to your cruise
Changes to sail date, stateroom category, or names on the reservation are not permitted.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990549

Interesting, especially the full fare vs discounted fare dinner seating and rotation options.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #22
KerriL
DIS Veteran

When we sailed on the Magic, we had our adult children aged 22, 19 and 17 with us. We would have liked to all go to Palo for dinner. My daughter was 2 weeks shy of her eighteenth birthday, so I inquired about her joining us and was told no. I am glad that they enforce the policy. If they were to lower the age to 16, I would be in favor of that, knowing that DCL would enforce the policy. Needless to say, only my husband and I dined there as the older kids wouldn't dine without their sibling.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #23
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
Here is a bit more detail of the survey posted by Disney Fantasy on Cruise Critic: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990549 Interesting, especially the full fare vs discounted fare dinner seating and rotation options.
How is that last part different from how *GT rates work now? They are normally released very shortly before a cruise anyway and are at a discounted rate.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #24
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
How is that last part different from how *GT rates work now? They are normally released very shortly before a cruise anyway and are at a discounted rate.
Now, you can select your own dining time and request a rotation with a *GT rate. According to the proposed option B, you will not have a choice.

Quote:
Disney Cruise Line assigns you to Main or Second dinner seating based on availability rotation
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #25
inmyis
Disney Dude and Diva

Just off the Magic. It was awesome. We have cruised with our kids and now without. Talking to many, many who cruise without kids on Disney a few themes are virtually unanimous. Disney cruising is for all Disney fans and a bunch of those do not have kids and want an area that is adult only. Not everything needs to be available for everyone and having special things and areas for all different age groups is what we love about Disney. We love seeing the kids and families while dining in the regular dining rooms and throughout the ship but cherish the one night we do Palos!
inmyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #26
JodyTG
It's a well known fact that a woman can never own too many pairs of black shoes. Why can't my husband see that a new pair of shoes really CAN change your life.

Put me down for a great big NO.

To lower the age for Palo and Remy would be absolutely ridiculous.

What's next:
Allowing teenagers to play in Andy's room during scheduled times?
Allowing 4 year olds in the teen area (again during scheduled times)?
Allowing a 19 year old in the teen area (haven't we already seen problems with this)?

I say don't mess with the areas for the specific aged kids and that includes leaving the areas for the 18+ kids (aren't we all kids when you think of Disney) alone.
May 1990, Grand Floridian | May 1996, Dixie Landings | June 1997, All Star Sports | June 1998, Caribbean Beach | June 2000, All Star Music | June 2002, Port Orleans French Quarter | December 2003, All Star Music | December 2005, Beach Club Villas | December 2006, Beach Club Villas & Disney Wonder 4 night Bahamas cruise | December 2008, BoardWalk Villas | December 2010, Port Orleans Riverside | December 2011, Pop Century | November 2013, Disney Wonder 7 night Western Caribbean cruise

Last edited by JodyTG; 02-17-2014 at 11:34 AM.
JodyTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #27
JayhawkFans
Mouseketeer

Chiming in with my .02

Having only cruised twice on DCL we have only had the chance to dine in Palo once for brunch on our cruise last month. I am not in favor of lowering the age at Palo or Remy. We really enjoyed knowing that we would be surrounded by adults. Loved it! The bouncing of the basketballs from the court on the deck above was rather amusing. Didn't enjoy that so much.

Not sure how I feel about having the chance to request a certain rotation for dining. I enjoy the suspense of wondering what our rotation will be. We aren't "formal" dressers so it was never a priority for us to be in a certain dining room. Guess that might be different if we were on a 7 night cruise but both the 3 night and 4 night .. we weren't concerned with which dining room we were in.

Disney Dream - 1/12/14- 4-night Bahamian
Disney Dream - 9/26/13- 3-night Bahamian
JayhawkFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #28
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

If they lower the age for Palo or Remy couldn't that make it even harder to get a reservation? If they only have so many seats, and now a bigger pool of people want to fill those seats, it becomes harder to get a seat.

Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #29
ahain
Thankful & Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDS View Post
Guess I'm the lone person then that couldn't care less if they lowered the age limit to 0 for both Palo and Remy. I presume that you'd still pay to bring kids in just like the adults pay.
Disney is a line that is supposed to cater to families and to me that means doing things as a family. I'd prefer to be able to bring my son with us and it would make it a much more fulfilling experience.
I suspect that if they lower the age it won't make any difference to Disney's bottom line, while some might stop dining at the upscale restaurants, others will begin, since it sounds like they are usually a sellout anyway, there are probably plenty of people waiting to fill in the empty seats.
I'm 90% in the same camp as you, and I also agree that DCL will probably make MORE money if they allow older teens because they will increase the average number of people per table - although I do think that it might be appropriate to have some minimum age restriction in attempt to try to minimize tantrums and melt-downs that come along (usually) with younger children.

Perhaps an option would be to make some early seatings available for families with older children while still reserving later seatings for adults only.
Disney Wonder - Alaska - 6/2015 ......Disney Dream - 4 night Bahamas - 4/2015...Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2014...Disney Fantasy - 7 night Eastern Caribbean - 4/2014 .....Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2012
ahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #30
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
Here is a bit more detail of the survey posted by Disney Fantasy on Cruise Critic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990549

Interesting, especially the full fare vs discounted fare dinner seating and rotation options.
Thanks for sharing this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I was thinking along the same lines - it already sounds like a *GT rate. I realize you can't choose your dining time, however it seems like main dining isn't really available on the true *GT sailings about 1-2 months out since it fills up first. So if you like late dining I'd think your chances would be better, but wonder when you'd find out? When you get your cabin assignment? I don't mind gambling every once in awhile on a *GT rate as long as the price is right but I'd prefer to know we have early dining if possible. Very interesting

Heather

Ps. The age 16 vs 18 is not a deal breaker for me however I can completely understand why for others it would be and I can respect that opinion. If I had to choose in a survey I'd vote no and let it stay at 18.
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 12/2014 Wonder, 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: