Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #181
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranidayz View Post
I finally got the survey. Displeased that they are considering asking people in non-veranda rooms to pay extra for main seating. There are lots of reasons people don't choose verandas besides the money issue.
That's a new question. Not in the survey I got. Apparently they're changing it up randomly.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #182
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDS View Post

We're taking our first cruise soon and if I learned anything in researching for this trip it is that Cruises are about as far from all inclusive as you can get.
True. Unless you are on a super premium line perhaps.

I think maybe not used to be more all inclusive. I remember sending away for cruise catalogs when I was a kid (I remember one was a cruise that had a tour of macchu picchu as part of it) and the prices were dollar for dolls incredibly more expensive than even Disney is today. And that's not including any thoughts of inflation. It's like airfare. Even as close as the 80s flying was in general many more dollars than it is today. 1982 DC trip was over $800 per person and that was as a group. Now I won't take a fare that high unless its round trip to Australia. (DH has gotten a nearly last minute fare there at that level of rate so it does happen, and we sent mil to Korea and back for that cost too).

We used to get more but we (or our parents) used to pay more too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocspartan View Post

Thx for the reminder... I wonder how many surveys have been out there before with crazy off the wall ideas that never came to see the light of day...
Good point. 3 years ago I took a survey about a Lord of the Rings ride at universal. Hasn't happened yet! And I haven't heard anyone say that at one point they took a survey about the concept of magicbands or FP+! Who knows how they got those ideas lol.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #183
spacecanada
Mouseketeer

I wonder how many of these questions stem from guest comment cards. My guess is that many of these questions have been asked of DCL and they are trying to judge whether their customers agree or not.
spacecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #184
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Displeased that they are considering asking people in non-veranda rooms to pay extra for main seating. There are lots of reasons people don't choose verandas besides the money issue.
What's the connection between verandahs and main seating?

I can see giving concierge an advantage, but asking you to pay for main seating based on what type of regular stateroom you booked? LIke guests in verandah staterooms should have that kind of advantage over those in non-verandah staterooms?

Oy. I guess they are at least attempting to address the fact that most guests want main seating and not everyone can have it. This does not seem the right way to go about it though.

I never use main seating but I don't want to see the later seating overly filled with little kids either.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #185
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutojudy View Post
They took away the OBC for gold and platinum?
I agree the changes are not better for the guests, just their profits. .....
Guessing that is referring to the additional OBC gold & platinum use to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDS View Post
We're taking our first cruise soon and if I learned anything in researching for this trip it is that Cruises are about as far from all inclusive as you can get.
Other than tips, DCL is pretty much inclusive for us at this point unless we decide to purchase souvenirs. I don't consider that a cost of the cruise, however.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #186
slg
DIS Veteran

Right now, other than tips I consider DCL inclusive. Alcohol is not included, but that is optional, and excursions and speciality dining is also optional. Everything else IS included and it is first come, first served for dining times (with the exception that gold and platinum can book first). These other changes for paying extra for main dining or only getting priority dining if you book a verandah does make it different.

I was referring to the OBC that I only got to benefit from twice It used to be Gold got $275 OBC per room and Platinum got $350. This lasted about a year? Now everyone just gets $200.

Miss those OBC. Pl
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #187
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

I think this survey is a fishing expedition for DCL, asking if people would pay extra to sit on their own or if booking an inside room, pay extra to get your dining rotation of choice, seem so off the wall.

I think they are trying to get an idea of what their customers perceive as valuable, not things they are thinking of implementing.

Valuable items would be used as marketing tools to entice people to book earlier, I think more and more people are holding out for last minute discounts and they want to counter that and encourage people to commit earlier.

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #188
MickeyChix
Mouseketeer

Part of the Magic of taking a cruise as far as I'm concerned, is knowing there will be special places, activities and even events that each of us can call our own. As much as I think it would be awesome to have a sleepover on board with Tinker Bell and Captain Hook my daughter would not be happy for me to be there! It's her special moment. Likewise a special meal at an adults only restaurant is our special moment. So, that aspect should be left alone. Regardless of how mature your 16 year old may be, some things need to stay as is to preserve the original intent on why things are what they are.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #189
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Other than tips, DCL is pretty much inclusive for us at this point unless we decide to purchase souvenirs. I don't consider that a cost of the cruise, however.
Have you been to a AI resort? Tipping is included in the cost there, Spa treatments? included. At the AI resorts we've been to all restaurants including formal upscale fine dining included. Alcohol, included. Transportation to and from airport, included.
Disney may not charge for as many things as some other lines, but it is definitely not all inclusive.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #190
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Yes we have. I said DCL was inclusive for us since we don't utilize the things that you listed onboard. Adding fees for something as basic as main dining, which we always secure on opening day, would change that.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: