Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2014, 05:01 AM   #271
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I think I know where you're heading to eat.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #272
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

I don't know where they are headed to eat WOW NOS looks really different....less New Orleans French Quarter... All for the Club 33 expansion?
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2014, 02:07 AM   #273
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I think I know where you're heading to eat.
I said too much and I had a hunch you knew immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
I don't know where they are headed to eat WOW NOS looks really different....less New Orleans French Quarter... All for the Club 33 expansion?
You will find out shortly. NOS does look different. Were you able to walk around in NOS last month during your trip and get to see it up close and in person? It was all for the Club 33 expansion.

The next posts will be up shortly.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:08 AM   #274
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Last Installment on the Trip Report

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 3

UVA Lunch and back to DL on the Monorail

We were now in DTD heading on over to lunch that afternoon. I have been wanting to try this specific restaurant since last year when two DISers have ate there last year for dinner but this time, I will have lunch instead. DB and V had no problem eating at this restaurant and have looked the menu on my phone.

The restaurant that we ate that afternoon at DTD was UVA Bar and Café. I knew that you know the answer from my last post PiO and Alison. I wanted to try this restaurant for a while now and finally able to eat there. There was a certain dish that Alison recommended to me to eat at the UVA Bar and Café.

We didn’t eat outside that day since it was warm that afternoon since DB and V wanted to eat inside. So we were able to get a table inside the restaurant. It didn’t offer too many tables which is about 8 tables all together.

The menu during our visit.

We started off with the Calamari.

Not too long our entrees came out and it was time to have lunch.

V had the UVA Burger

DB had the French Dip

And of course, I had to get the Lamb Burger that I wanted to try and it was so good that I really enjoyed the burger. The sea salt fries were amazing.

I still talk about the lamb burger when I got back home from Anaheim. My DB and V enjoyed eating at the UVA Bar and Café that if we ever go back to the DLR, we will have to eat here again and maybe this time at night.

When I had to use the restroom which is on the upper floor which is also another part of the restaurant which is also a bar.

After we finished lunch, it was time to head on back to the park and do some other attractions. So we head on back to the DTD Monorail Station to ride the Monorail back to Tomorrowland.

We got to ride Monorail Mark VII Blue which was at the station and on our way back to DL.

DL didn’t seem that busy that afternoon where there wasn’t anyone at the turnstiles.

Now we were back in TL and seeing the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage Lagoon all dried up during the refurbishment. It has been a while since the lagoon has been drained and work is being done in the lagoon.

We got back to the TL Monorail Station and exited the Monorail. After we got off, we still had time to wait until our FP’s for Space Mountain is ready. I remember around that time that one of the shows of Mickey and the Magical Map was about to happen in a short time and it was a good opportunity to watch the show until the FP’s are ready to be used later that day. So we head straight on over to the Fantasyland Theater to watch MatMM.

It took about 5 minutes to walk from TL all the way to the FL Theater and we just got there in time or not.

That will be it for this post and stay tune for the next one.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 AM   #275
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 4

Magical & Space

We were now heading on over to the Fantasyland Theater to watch Mickey and the Magical Map. When we got to the FL Theater, we just made it in time and even though we were in the back but our spot was nice. I have seen this show a lot since the show debut during the summertime of 2013. I have at least watch this show once per trip and even the show hasn’t change much but there were some new additions to the show which made it better.

DB and V have never seen MatMM so they were excited to see the show that day.

During the last trip, I had the telephoto lens which helped me zoom in on the performers but this time, I just used my Tamron lens all the way to 50mm to get the whole entire stage.

Yen Sid

King Louie

The ladies

Sebastian

Stitch made his appearance.

Nice tail.

Princess Tiana

After the show was over, we started to head on back over to Tomorrowland to use our FP’s for Space Mountain. It is nice to ride Space Mountain once in a while. I don’t ride it too often like I have done in the past since DAF and DAW can’t ride intense rides like Space Mountain, Matterhorn, etc.

We just got to Tomorrowland just in time to use our FP’s for Space Mountain which was about to expire at 3pm. So we just made it in time to ride Space Mountain. The wait time was not that bad at 40 minutes at that time where it can be even longer to wait.

I have no problem with riding Space Mountain but the only thing I have problems when riding roller coasters is when I bring my bags on the ride. It will be hard for the bag to fall off the ride but thing is that there is barely any leg room when putting the bag between my bags when going on the ride. I have had bad experience with my bag on Matterhorn Mountain on the new bobsleds where you barely have any room for your own body even with a bag. I still hate those new bobsled cars where I like the old ones.

We rode Space and it is so fun to ride it. I enjoy listening to the music every time I ride it. But I also enjoy riding Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy which is available during the Halloween season. I will have the opportunities to ride SMGG in September or October. You want to ride it PiO?

Our picture on the ride.

After we got off the ride, it was time to head on back to Best Western Pavilions to rest up so we can come back later at the parks to see a nighttime show. I always do this every time of a Disney trip which I got to get a nice rest in the afternoon and be ready for the nighttime shows.

So we head on out of the park and back to BW Pavilions.

While we were walking down on MS, the rope were up and people were waiting for the 4pm Mickey’s Soundsational Parade. DB and V weren’t interested in the parade so we just skipped it that afternoon and head on back to the room.

We had a good morning and afternoon at DL and we will be back for the nighttime. Stay tune for the nighttime at DL and see what show that night.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 09-03-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #276
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

WOW your burger did look yummy! Perhaps DH and I will try and eat there in December.

It is strange seeing the Nemo lagoon drained of water. Great shots from the monorail.

I really enjoy MATMM. Nice show and a relaxing way to spend an hour.

Love your ride photo on SM. I really liked the SMGG overlay when I was able to experience it. Not your friendly ghosts but that kind of made it even better

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
TK
Old 08-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #277
PrincessInOz
in

Bret - I still dream about that lamb burger. I don't know if I'm going to be able to fit a visit to the Uva Bar for that burger in the October trip....but I hope!!

And I absolutely wanna ride Space Mountain with the holiday overlay as well as HM. We can ditch DS if he doesn't want to get on HM.

I vary between preferring the telezoom and the standard lens for MatMM. I think it is a stage that deserves the wider view but it is nice to see close-up details.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 09-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #278
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
WOW your burger did look yummy! Perhaps DH and I will try and eat there in December.

It is strange seeing the Nemo lagoon drained of water. Great shots from the monorail.

I really enjoy MATMM. Nice show and a relaxing way to spend an hour.

Love your ride photo on SM. I really liked the SMGG overlay when I was able to experience it. Not your friendly ghosts but that kind of made it even better

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
TK
You will like the UVA Bar and Cafe. It was nice that PiO and franandaj recommended it to me on their trip reports.

I can't believe it has been 8 months since the lagoon has been drained and i read on MiceChat that it is all filled up but it won't reopen until late September which we won't be able to ride it for the upcoming trip in a couple of weeks.

Nice to hear that you enjoyed watching MatMM during your trip and like it. It is a nice show and a good relaxation place during the hot summer.

It has been a long time since I rode Space Mountain and I'm hoping to ride it during the October trip since DAW can't ride roller coasters.

Quote:
Bret - I still dream about that lamb burger. I don't know if I'm going to be able to fit a visit to the Uva Bar for that burger in the October trip....but I hope!!

And I absolutely wanna ride Space Mountain with the holiday overlay as well as HM. We can ditch DS if he doesn't want to get on HM.

I vary between preferring the telezoom and the standard lens for MatMM. I think it is a stage that deserves the wider view but it is nice to see close-up details.
If you want, we can plan on eating at the UVA Bar during the October trip at nighttime on Wednesday like you and Alison did last year.

It is nice to ride SMGG during the Halloween season in which I didn't ride it last year when you were there. Maybe this time we will be able to ride it and we got to ride HMH.

It is nice to use the telephoto lens when you are far away from the stage while using a standard or wide angle lens when up close like during the trip last year. It was nice to watch the show up close last year and I haven't been staking out a spot for that show since any location is great unless you want to see the performers up close.

The next post will be up shortly.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #279
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 5

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 5

Staking a Spot and Fantasmic!

We all went back to the room that afternoon to get all rested up so we can go back to Disneyland that night to watch Fantasmic! at 9pm. I have watched F! during the 9pm shows a lot including on my June trip with DAW where we will stake out a spot right by the Rivers of America in order to get a good viewing location.

The thing is that DB and V were still tired that day that I would stake out the spot by the RoA so at least one person will have to be there. So like always, I always stake out a spot and spent a couple of hours to guarantee that spot. They stayed in the room until it was time that night.

I left BW Pavilions around 6:30pm and back on over to the DLR. After walking a few times back and forward from BW Pavilions to the DLR, I know that I will not stay at this hotel in the near future with all the long walking and it also takes a while for the ART buses to pick up the passengers to the DLR.

I got in the park around 7pm which was a little longer than I have thought since there were people waiting to go through the security check-point and turnstiles.

When I got in MS, the 6:30pm Mickey’s Soundsational Parade should be over on Main Street. But to my surprise, the end of the parade was still in Main Street Town Square and there must have been something wrong with the floats if it is still going on in MS where it is past 7pm.

So I had to walk on the walkways since the parade was going on the main street so it was going to be a long walk on over to the New Orleans Square.

After getting through the busy Main Street during the parade, I was now in New Orleans Square and right by the viewing area. It was around 7:15pm when I got on over to the viewing area and it was not that full that night where the railing spots were taken and my favorite spot which is the back area of the rope off area is not all that filled.

But before I got my spot, I went on over to Royal Street Veranda to get the Steak Gumbo which I mostly get when I am at DL and waiting for F!.

It wasn’t that busy at 7:30pm that night where the front was mostly occupied while the back was open. The middle viewing areas are always open while the front and back are the ones that get filled up quickly.

I set up my blanket to mark my area for F! since I still have to wait for DB and V to come later that night. I told them to show up at least 15 minutes until the show started since there are people that try to force their way in at the last second. I have learned over time from all these past trips to bring a blanket so I can mark my spot for the shows.

The Steak Gumbo was for dinner that night.

I just waited that night while it was time for the 9pm Fantasmic! show. I am so used to staking out a spot over the years that I have done it for myself and for other party members. I always keep myself occupy with my tablet or phone when I am at the DLR.

When it was about time for F! to start, they showed up about 10 minutes until it started which was cutting it close. They got in the park late that night and it took them a while to walk on over to the viewing area by the RoA. At least they made it in time instead of coming during the show.

For the 9pm F! show, I used my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens for the show which I mostly use all the time. But during the June trip, I used the 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6G lens which got up close pictures. I like to use the Tamron where I can get wider shots while the telephoto lens are good for up close pictures of the characters. I am also considering renting a telephoto lens for my upcoming trip in a couple of weeks but in the end, it will be the regular lenses that I used.

Mickey Mouse

Kaa the snake from the Jungle Book

King Louie and his followers

Pinocchio and the two female marionettes

The Peter Pan scene with the Columbia as the Pirate ship.

Belle and the Beast Princess float scene

Snow White and her Prince

Murphy finally arrived. As why I call it Murphy it is called Murphy by fans after the Murphy law when the dragon went through delays back in 2009 when it debut where it had some problems and it didn’t run during F!. I remember those days in 2009 when Murphy wasn’t running and just seeing Maleficent way high up. It is nice to see it work consistently after every show.

Mark Twain scene with all the different characters.

After F! was over and playing it’s exit music, we were still in the viewing area to wait for Magical: Disney’s New Nighttime Spectacular of Magical Celebrations. DB and V haven’t seen F! in a long time and the last time they have seen F! when Maleficient didn’t have her full body and on a pole. Time has gone by for them since they have seen F! in person and enjoyed watching the show.

That’s it for this post and continue on to the next post.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #280
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 6

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 6

Magical Fireworks by the RoA

After the 9pm Fantasmic! show ended. In just a couple of minutes. The 9:25pm show of Magical: Disney’s New Nighttime Spectacular of Magical Celebrations started. I was behind at the beginning of Magical since I was taking apart my video camera that was on the tripod and put my DSLR on so I can get the firework trails. I also had to put on the 0.9 Neutral Density filter in order to be dark enough since the fireworks can be very bright at night without the neutral density filter.

Very interesting that I was at this same spot during the June trip and took pictures from this spot as well. I compared the pictures from both trips and the June trip which was brighter while the July trip turned out to be darker.

Here are pictures from Magical that Monday night.

pimg]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5574/14935615649_06f918d325_b.jpg[/img]

After Magical fireworks was over, mostly this is the time that I head on back to the room and call it for the night but since DB and V were with me that day, we decided to stay in the park a little longer that night and go on a few more rides. I had no problem with that and stayed with them a little longer.

Stay tune what we have done that night after the fireworks.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 09-04-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #281
PrincessInOz
in

Nice night time shots.

I understand that the Mark Twain is out of action. Is there a replacement for it in F!?

We may need to check with Alison about plans for the Wednesday.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #282
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Great shots of F! and the fireworks. You had to stake out your spot at 7:30 for the 9 pm show? I don't know if my DH would want to wait that long. We did enjoy our dessert package when we did that on our December trip.

Your dinner looked yummy.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #283
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

I think Uva is the only restaurant I have yet to try. I like the progress with Nemo and just realized I never walked by there myself.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #284
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nice night time shots.

I understand that the Mark Twain is out of action. Is there a replacement for it in F!?

We may need to check with Alison about plans for the Wednesday.
Thank you PiO. It am ready to use another telephoto lens for F! since the one's that I took with the Tamron are nice. I just want to get some more up close pictures after the June trip.

The Mark Twain will be down starting on this Friday the 5th and I believe it will reopen in November. As for the Mark Twain being down for F!, the show will go on without the Mark Twain. When the Mark Twain is down for refurbishment and F! is running, the characters will be on Tom Sawyer's Island with their flags as the place where they will be during the show. I have never seen the characters on the island when the Mark Twain was down but I have read and seen pictures of it. I don't know if DAW and I will see F! for this month trip but we could always change our minds when we are there.

Good idea. I would pm or email her of what we should do that day during teh trip in October.

Quote:
Great shots of F! and the fireworks. You had to stake out your spot at 7:30 for the 9 pm show? I don't know if my DH would want to wait that long. We did enjoy our dessert package when we did that on our December trip.

Your dinner looked yummy.
Thank you TK. That is correct. I always stake out a spot for the first show of F! so I can guarantee the spot that I like to watch the show which is right at the rope off area. It has been a while where I haven't had to wait over 2 hours for that spot. In the past, I spent at least two hours just to get the back area and it was quiet even at 7:30pm. So this is one of the few times where I didn't have to wait that long for F!. Staking out a spot for the fireworks in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle is even longer at 2+ hours for the curbside by the Hub. I always want to get the best spot so I can get good photos of the nighttime shows. I will have to do the F! Dessert package one day but since I have seen it so many times, I don't have to do it unless someone in my party doesn't want to stake out a spot for 2 hours or try to get a decent spot for the second show of F!.

The Steak Gumbo at the Royal Street Veranda is nice to have when waiting for the first show of F!. Some of my party members don't like the gumbo which they refer to it as dog food in a bread bowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
I think Uva is the only restaurant I have yet to try. I like the progress with Nemo and just realized I never walked by there myself.
You will like the UVA Bar and Cafe Kim. PiO and Alison recommended this restaurant to me in the past but I never had time to even go and eat there. Luckily I had time during the July trip and I can't believe it took me this long to eat at the restaurant. Maybe you will have time to be able to eat at that restaurant during your upcoming trip. The FNSV lagoon is making progress and it is all filled up as I have read.

The next update will be up shortly.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #285
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 7

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 7

Through the Haunted Jungle & Photo Time

After Magical fireworks was over, I thought that this would be it for the night since I mostly go back to the room after the fireworks or World of Color. With DB and V, they are trying to get as much done as possible during the trip. So they told me that they will want to stay until the park closes at midnight just like the other night. I was getting tired but I did rest up a lot while at the viewing area by the RoA for Fantasmic!.

As we left the viewing area, V wanted to ride Jungle Cruise since we were right next to Adventureland. So we head on over to ride the JC and it was a walk-on that night. It is nice to be able to ride the original Jungle Cruise after it was transformed during the holiday season at the Jingle Cruise. It won’t be too long until the holiday season comes back to the DLR and maybe it will be back up as the JC or not.

We boarded not a full boat that night. It was going to be tough to take pictures on the JC even with a high ISO and low aperture lens. The experience at night is totally different from the daytime where I really like the daytime more than the nighttime. I do enjoy both experiences to go through the jungle during the nighttime but you can’t see everything when riding it at night.

All loaded

Some baboons still up this late at night?

Trader Sam is still up this late at night and doing his business as usual.

After riding the JC, I had to get my usual treat at night which is the Dole Whip Float. This is like my tradition every time I go to the DLR and get the Dole Whip Float at DL. Lately back in NorCal, there is a place in Roseville & Rocklin (up north of Sacramento) that is selling the actual Dole Whip Float. It looks a little different from the DL version but it does have the Dole pineapple juice along with the pineapple soft serve. I have been getting it lately every time I have the opportunity to go to Roseville or Rocklin to get the Dole Whip Float. The place is called OMG Yogurt and they have been selling the Dole Whip Float the last couple of years.

It was quite a long line to get the float that night but we weren’t planning on going to DL the next day since DB and V only have a two day pass.

I did buy two Dole Whip floats for DB and V which they shared and of course I got one as well. It is like I am in heaven when I have the Dole Whip float or soft serve every time.

After we finished the Dole Whip floats, V wanted to ride the Haunted Mansion that night. I was a little surprise that she wanted to ride it again especially we rode it during the trip. But she really enjoys riding the HM. She is not a fan of the Haunted Mansion Holiday like the original one. We all do enjoy specific variations of the rides with the different overlays from Space Mountain and It’s a Small World.

Once again we rode the Haunted Mansion that night and I used the Tamron instead of the Nikon 35mm lens. It was difficult to use the Tamron where the aperture is higher over the 35mm lens. The pictures showed the difference with the Tamron lens.

Here comes the bride

Hitchhiking Ghosts

After we got off riding the HM, we head on over to Critter Country. Since the second show of F! was going on when we got off and it was going to be crowded in NOS, Frontierland and Adventureland it made sense to go on over to CC for a little bit.

When we were in CC, DB and V went on Winnie the Pooh ride while I decided to take some long exposure shots of CC while I was waiting for them.

They were off the ride and we started to go on over to our next attraction that night. It was around 11pm that night and I was getting a little tired especially carry all my equipment on my bag. I was carry the tripod, video camera, DSLR and blanket that were all in my bag which is nice to have so I don’t have to bring in other bags like I have done in the past.

We headed on over to Fantasyland through the backside of Frontierland. I thought about riding the newly updated Alice in Wonderland ride and I thought that the wait time would be down.

But when we got there, the wait time was 40 minutes which was quite long that night. I wasn’t willing to wait that long to ride AiW but DB and V were willing to wait to get on the ride. So I told them that I will head on back to the room while they wait to go on the ride. I would have waited with them but I will have another opportunity to ride it on one of my upcoming trips.

While I was about to walk on out of DL, I stayed in a little longer to get some long exposure shots while I had the tripod and the park crowd levels was not that high like earlier that night.

I never take any pictures of Pixie Hollow when the lights are on that night and it was nice to try to get some pictures of it.

I always enjoy taking pictures of Astro Orbiter with the long exposure.

“Partners” Statue that night

Even around 11pm that night, the park was busy but everyone was started to head on out that night.

I left around 11:30pm that night at DL and on my way back to the hotel. I got back to the hotel around 11:50pm which is just before midnight. DB and V were still in the park until it closed at midnight. The day was over and we only have one more day in SoCal until we have to go back home to Sactown.

Stay tune for the third and final day of the trip report.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: