Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #91
StayCool
DIS Veteran

I got information on the Color Run in my email last night. I'm excited to pick up my stuff next Friday. 10 days to go!

I'm starting to notice the positive effects of working out in my every day life. I'm less tired, less short of breath when I'm rushing (or speed walking to my kids' orthodontic appts because we are late!). I feel strong and a bit more confident in general. The changes aren't visible and I haven't lost much weight but for me that is not all that this is about. I want to be in control of my life again. So here I am. Tomorrow is W5D2...

StayCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #92
StayCool
DIS Veteran

W5D2 complete and no cramping! I think I'm ready to add in more cross training because doing Jillian's 30 day Shred did not affect my run. So for now I am going to keep running 3 times a week and do one day of 30 Day Shred. Eventually I will up it to 2 days and then I will have 2 rest days a week. I'm looking forward to seeing the differences in my shape soon! I'm happy to say that my short runs are up to a mile+ now when a month ago I couldn't even go a mile at all!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #93
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Question about how to push myself harder and improve altogether. I am using Galloway's program so I am doing intervals. my intervals are very short. 20s run and 40s walk. Speed is very slow. 2.5-3 mph for the walk and 3.7-4.3 mph for the run portion. My question is, do I try to lengthen my intervals and keep the speed the same? Or do I keep my intervals the same and bump up the speed? Does it even matter which I do first?

W5D3 = 2.7 miles for me! Next Sunday is my first 5k. Now I feel like I can do it. I've noticed that the first mile is the hardest for me but once I get past that things seem to settle into a good rhythm and I don't have any pain and my breathing settles into a nice rhythm. It's so funny because when I played soccer in high school I hated running and could never run any distance. And I was much smaller then! Now, I'm enjoying myself.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #94
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

I would work on trying to increase your speed a little bit before moving to longer strides. Like having your run at 4.6 to 4.7 and the walk to a 3.5.

Good luck on your 5k on Saturday!

Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #95
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
I would work on trying to increase your speed a little bit before moving to longer strides. Like having your run at 4.6 to 4.7 and the walk to a 3.5.

Good luck on your 5k on Saturday!
Thanks! I will give that a try. I just want to progress, with speed and the length of my intervals. I don't want to run 10 miles in October with such short intervals. But I also need to stay in front of the balloon ladies... lol

Since I am going to be running a 5k this weekend and then a 10k (hopefully) in 2 more months I'm planning to end my Galloway 5k training with the race. Then I am going to start with his 10k training program. That will get me to week 8 (out of 13) before the 10k. Then I will focus on the TOT 10 miler training from the beginning of June to the TOT race. Does that sound reasonable? I will still have about 18 weeks to specifically train for TOT.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #96
StayCool
DIS Veteran

I bumped up the speed today and I had cramping for the first time in a couple of weeks. So I think for me it is caused by going faster than my body is prepared for. I ended up cutting my run short but my heart wasn't into it. It was my ADR day so all I could think of was getting my reservations at 6! Lol. I will put more effort in on Friday.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #97
StayCool
DIS Veteran

I'm having pain on the top of my left foot where it meets my lower leg. It feels bruised but doesn't look bruised. Idk what happened. It did not hurt until a full 24 hours after my run so I don't think it is related to that. Hopefully it won't interfere with my 5k on Sunday. I'm starting to get a little anxious and am wondering if I can really do this. I know I did almost 3 miles on the treadmill but I haven't run outside yet. Erf.

Yesterday I did the 30 day shred and I'm feeling it a little bit today. Then in the afternoon my son wanted to ride his bike on the road so off we went. The dog and I walked and he rode. We went a full mile and it was a great day for it!

Other good news; I asked my kids if they wanted to start running with me and do a couple of 5ks this summer and they were excited. I explained what it meant and they were all for it. Then my HUSBAND said that maybe the 5k in August could be a FAMILY 5k! That's huge. I'm really hoping he means it.

Tomorrow is my last day of training before the race.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #98
StayCool
DIS Veteran

The top of my left foot is still swollen today and feels sore. I ended up skipping my run this morning because I want to be sure I can do the 5k this Sunday. That kind of bummed me out. I put an ace wrap on it this morning and I'm going to ask the doctor here when she gets in what she thinks. I don't even know what I did.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #99
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Take care of your foot today. At least on Sunday you will be able to walk most of it if you need to

Old 04-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #100
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
Take care of your foot today. At least on Sunday you will be able to walk most of it if you need to
I could walk it, but I didn't get up at 5 am for 6 weeks to walk! I spoke with the doc today and she said tendonitis. Sooo... I guess the ace wrap will be a permanent part of my wardrobe for a while. Going to load up on ibuprofen for the race and ice it before and after. Hopefully that will hold me. She said it is because of the way I am holding my foot while I run. Time to learn new form.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #101
StayCool
DIS Veteran

They are calling for temps in the 20's tomorrow morning. Yikes. I will *have* to run just to stay warm!!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #102
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Today was the 5k. I finished it in 51:52 so about 18 minutes/mile. I was pretty disappointed in myself today but I learned a lot. And as my hubby so thoughtfully pointed out, I finished and it was something I had never done before.

So what did I learn?
-No running partners. My friend and I were going to go together and she ended up being much fast than me. I tried to keep up in the beginning and it made me feel awful.
-Stay warm before starting. It was 20 degrees out. I was warmed up and then we had the walk to the starting line and I got cold again. My legs instantly cramped as soon as I started walking.
-I need to run outside at least once a week. Treadmill running does not equal outside running.
-Don't give up. I was pretty upset from the start as soon as my legs cramped. My attitude was awful until my husband pretty much told me to stop taking it so seriously.
-Bring my music. It helps me get out of my head and right now I need that.

I don't know why I thought it would be so much better. I pretty much overestimated myself and thought that running on the treadmill would prepare me more than it did.

Ultimately I did have fun and it was cool to see everyone all dressed up. They said there was 5500 people running today. It gave me an idea of how it is going to be in October and kind of what to expect. I'm taking Tuesday off to give my foot some more time to recover, but I am going to try to run a mile on Wednesday *outside*.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #103
EcbLovesMickey
Willing to Work for Disney Dollars!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
Today was the 5k. I finished it in 51:52 so about 18 minutes/mile. I was pretty disappointed in myself today but I learned a lot. And as my hubby so thoughtfully pointed out, I finished and it was something I had never done before. So what did I learn? -No running partners. My friend and I were going to go together and she ended up being much fast than me. I tried to keep up in the beginning and it made me feel awful. -Stay warm before starting. It was 20 degrees out. I was warmed up and then we had the walk to the starting line and I got cold again. My legs instantly cramped as soon as I started walking. -I need to run outside at least once a week. Treadmill running does not equal outside running. -Don't give up. I was pretty upset from the start as soon as my legs cramped. My attitude was awful until my husband pretty much told me to stop taking it so seriously. -Bring my music. It helps me get out of my head and right now I need that. I don't know why I thought it would be so much better. I pretty much overestimated myself and thought that running on the treadmill would prepare me more than it did. Ultimately I did have fun and it was cool to see everyone all dressed up. They said there was 5500 people running today. It gave me an idea of how it is going to be in October and kind of what to expect. I'm taking Tuesday off to give my foot some more time to recover, but I am going to try to run a mile on Wednesday *outside*.
Every finish is a win! Good job today! Can't wait for October and all the awesome costumes

EcbLovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #104
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcbLovesMickey View Post
Every finish is a win! Good job today! Can't wait for October and all the awesome costumes
You are totally right! I need to remember that 6 weeks ago I could not have done this as well as I did today. Progress is progress and I have 6 months to improve. I need to stop expecting so much out of myself and just stick with the plan.

But, I did forget that Wednesday I will be on my way to Boston for a conference so probably no running until Friday and I'm thinking that is probably a good thing.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #105
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

You finished so thats awesome! It also helped you learn a lot before your next race.

When is your next race?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: