Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #31
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
Today I did do my workout with Jillian. It was awful! I forgot how awful it was to get started again. Immediately after I just felt so depressed that I have already accomplished this in the past, but now I have to start over. But I am starting over! I don't want to feel like that again.

I think it is going to be a struggle to adjust my diet to make it work. Doing weight watchers at the same time is going to help me stay accountable, but I need to start eating more in the morning as I had waaaay too many points left at dinner last night.

The plan for the rest of this week is to get back on the treadmill for 30 minutes on Friday morning before work and again on Saturday. I'm not going to start the c25k just yet as I think I need to do a couple of weeks of walking first. And honestly I'd rather not try to do it on a treadmill. I would rather do it outside.

Any opinions on when I should get *real* running shoes? Should I do it already? I'm kind of embarrassed to go into a running store...

Sorry about all the questions. I don't have any runners IRL that I can ask these silly things. Thanks so much everyone for your encouragement and inspiration!
First - great job! Another day, another great effort!

Don't feel too bad about how you feel. I am in great shape and just starter P90X again on Monday, and I am in horrible pain. This is a program that I have done many times, but it always hurts when you start over again. That is a good sign. It means that you are doing the work. Do not be afraid of getting sore. You should try to avoid injury, not pain.

As for the shoes - it depends on what you are wearing now. I really don't stress running shoes right out of the gate as long as you are wearing some sort of athletic shoe. If not, go to the store.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #32
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Today I did do my workout with Jillian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuckent View Post
I've been thinking about adding Jillian to my week as well.
I was confused for a second until I realized that you guys were talking about the Jillian Michaels DVDs ... cause my name is Jillian, too.

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #33
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

I'd get the running shoes ASAP, personally. It makes such a huge difference to get fitted!

Good luck with 30DS. I was using that one a couple of months ago and I think the good thing about it is all of the lunges and squats...good to make your quads/butt strong. It'll help your knees stay healthy when you run.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #34
StayCool
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I've been thinking about adding Jillian to my week as well. I'm kind of scared of that DVD though!

Starting by walking is a great idea! Get comfortable with the 30 min walk and then start adding run portions!

I would probably get fitted for shoes right away. Nothing to be embarrassed about! You wouldn't want to get injured because of poor fitting shoes.
Jillian is tough! But once it doesn't hurt so bad, I really do enjoy the workout. It is great because it is short and sweet. To me, that means there is no reason why I "don't have time" because I waste more than 20 minutes on Facebook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBama View Post
First - great job! Another day, another great effort!

Don't feel too bad about how you feel. I am in great shape and just starter P90X again on Monday, and I am in horrible pain. This is a program that I have done many times, but it always hurts when you start over again. That is a good sign. It means that you are doing the work. Do not be afraid of getting sore. You should try to avoid injury, not pain.

As for the shoes - it depends on what you are wearing now. I really don't stress running shoes right out of the gate as long as you are wearing some sort of athletic shoe. If not, go to the store.
Yeah, starting over is no fun. I did decide to get shoes. Mostly because I don't want any excuses down the road... This eliminates the "my shoes hurt my feet and I *can't* afford to get new ones" right off the bat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean1899 View Post
I was confused for a second until I realized that you guys were talking about the Jillian Michaels DVDs ... cause my name is Jillian, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
I'd get the running shoes ASAP, personally. It makes such a huge difference to get fitted!

Good luck with 30DS. I was using that one a couple of months ago and I think the good thing about it is all of the lunges and squats...good to make your quads/butt strong. It'll help your knees stay healthy when you run.
Yeah, I think I'm going to try to do it twice a week for now. It definitely makes my entire body feel better.

StayCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #35
StayCool
Mouseketeer

So I did decide to get fit for running shoes today. I know that my current casual sneakers make my feet hurt if I walk in them all day so I decided not to take the risk. I was really anxious going in but apparently it was all for nothing. The guy was awesome! We got talking and I told him that I signed up for the TOT 10 miler and he thought that was awesome! I figured he would think I was crazy. lol Instead he told me that he had a similar story! He was 275 lbs and ran his first 5k in 2010. Since then he has run a ton of races including marathons. I told him I wanted to be like him when I grow up! Looks like I have motivation all around me. I just have to look for it.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #36
StayCool
Mouseketeer

Today I'm a little sore. Mostly just my quads. Not nearly as bad as I thought. The very first time I did the 30 Day Shred I overdid it and had to wait 2 weeks for the pain to subside. I'm excited to get on the treadmill tomorrow morning and use my new running shoes though!

As an aside, last night my hubby and I wrestled a 300+ lb pellet stove into the house. Lets just say that it was an interesting experience and one I hope not to repeat! lol I think my arms are sore from that!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #37
StayCool
Mouseketeer

1 mile today!

Old 02-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #38
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
1 mile today!
Awesome!
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #39
StayCool
Mouseketeer

So yesterday I downloaded a bunch of music to run and will start W1D1 tomorrow! My goal is to do C25k 3 days a week, 1 day of 30DS and at least 1 day of abs/core work. I'm not sure if I will be ready for the 5k by April 6th but we will see.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #40
StayCool
Mouseketeer

Another question. I've been asked to do a Color Run and it looks like a lot of fun. I will be on Week 6 Day 3 the day of the run. Is that doable? To finish and not be an utter slug? Or should I wait until I am done with the program?

Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #41
jbuckent
DIS Veteran

I don't see any reason to not do it. Just follow the c25k program for that day. It would give you great race experience. There will be people walking it, so don't worry about being a slug. LOL
2/2011 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean | 2/2012 Five nights at Port Orleans French Quarter and 2/2012 Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
3/2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean with San Juan

11/2014 Wine & Dine half marathon followed by
11/2014 Disney Dream 4-night Bahamas
jbuckent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #42
StayCool
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't see any reason to not do it. Just follow the c25k program for that day. It would give you great race experience. There will be people walking it, so don't worry about being a slug. LOL
I just talked to my friend that asked me to join her team and she said that I wouldn't be the only one walking because the rest of the group hasn't really been training. So glad I won't be the odd one out.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #43
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well I signed up!
That's the hardest part!

I smoked cigarettes for 18 years and quit about a year and a half ago, about 6 months ago I had a crazy moment and signed up for the Neverland 5K at DL and ran it in January , it was AMAZING! I was in decent shape on the outside when I signed up but in terrible shape on the inside, I started with a c25k and the first few weeks were really hard but now I'm running 4+ miles a day at 10 minutes a mile a few time a week and working my way up since I'm signed up for the DL 10k in August with a goal of running the half next January.

I'd do the color run, the TOT is a long way away so a closer race will be good motivation, plus the color run is a really fun run with no pressure (more of a run/walk/jog party), just bring sunglasses and a mask if you don't want your eyes and mouth full of chalk dust.

Congrats on taking the first step!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #44
StayCool
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Las Disney View Post
That's the hardest part!

I smoked cigarettes for 18 years and quit about a year and a half ago, about 6 months ago I had a crazy moment and signed up for the Neverland 5K at DL and ran it in January , it was AMAZING! I was in decent shape on the outside when I signed up but in terrible shape on the inside, I started with a c25k and the first few weeks were really hard but now I'm running 4+ miles a day at 10 minutes a mile a few time a week and working my way up since I'm signed up for the DL 10k in August with a goal of running the half next January.

I'd do the color run, the TOT is a long way away so a closer race will be good motivation, plus the color run is a really fun run with no pressure (more of a run/walk/jog party), just bring sunglasses and a mask if you don't want your eyes and mouth full of chalk dust.

Congrats on taking the first step!
Yay on quitting smoking! I quit 8 years ago after smoking for about 10 years. It is amazing how much better you feel afterwards! I'm kind of the opposite of you, I'm good on the inside but waaay overweight on the outside. lol I'm hoping to catch up to where you are. The TOT race is my carrot. lol

So I weighed in today and I was down 1.2 lbs and I finished W1D1 today! I mapped out all my "runs" from now until race day in October in my calendar. That way they are staring me in the face! I am going to do the Color Run in April and then possibly a 5k in May and June as well. I would like to do a 10k but I'm having a hard time finding one that is relatively local.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #45
StayCool
Mouseketeer

So I *thought* I did W1D1 the other day. Apparently I did W1D2. So today I did W1D3 and did not realize it until it was over. It was rough. And I don't want to do the longer runs during the week so I think I'm going to redo it on Sunday so I can get back on track the way I wanted to.

Question: My calves seem to get really tight when I am running. Is there anything I can do to loosen them up? It is not painful exactly, more uncomfortable. After I am done there is no pain either. Just once I get going they feel like rocks...

That TOT medal is my carrot. I AM going to do this!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: