Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

The distance is really not going to be the problem, IMO. There are two more limiting factors:

1) - You - Are you in decent health other than your weight? Can you stick with a running program for 8 months? If you are and you can, you will easily be ready for a 10 miler.

2) The ToT 10 Miler is in HOT weather. HOT, HOT, HOT. As long as you understand how to pull WAAAAY back in those running conditions, you will be fine. But even well trained athletes suffer heat injuries every year at this event. So teach yourself strategies for pacing and hydrating in these conditions.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #17
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBama View Post
The distance is really not going to be the problem, IMO. There are two more limiting factors:

1) - You - Are you in decent health other than your weight? Can you stick with a running program for 8 months? If you are and you can, you will easily be ready for a 10 miler.

2) The ToT 10 Miler is in HOT weather. HOT, HOT, HOT. As long as you understand how to pull WAAAAY back in those running conditions, you will be fine. But even well trained athletes suffer heat injuries every year at this event. So teach yourself strategies for pacing and hydrating in these conditions.
Other than being overweight I am in good health. Can I stick with a training program? I don't know, but I hope so. My life has changed and I'm no longer trying to balance school, work and family. Now it is just work and family. I'm hoping to add in taking better care of myself. I would really like it to be a habit, rather than something I force myself to do. I am going to start tomorrow and see what happens.

As far as the heat goes, I live in NY and there is nothing that compares to FL heat here. So I will just do the best that I can. My goal is to ultimately just finish and not get swept. If I do, well at least I can say I tried and will do better next time!

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
StayCool is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #18
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Ok, well I got up and on the treadmill this morning. I think the hardest part was just getting out of bed. lol I didn't go far, only 0.6 miles but I figured it was better than staying in bed. I also want to give my body some time to adjust without getting too sore. Tomorrow I will restart the Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred. I *know* I will be sore after that. But it will be a good kind of sore.

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #19
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
Ok, well I got up and on the treadmill this morning. I think the hardest part was just getting out of bed. lol I didn't go far, only 0.6 miles but I figured it was better than staying in bed. I also want to give my body some time to adjust without getting too sore. Tomorrow I will restart the Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred. I *know* I will be sore after that. But it will be a good kind of sore.
Great job! Every day commit to doing something - anything. You will be surprised at how quickly you form better habits, and the day will come when you will have to struggle to stay in bed when your body needs rest instead of struggling to get out of bed.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBama View Post
Great job! Every day commit to doing something - anything. You will be surprised at how quickly you form better habits, and the day will come when you will have to struggle to stay in bed when your body needs rest instead of struggling to get out of bed.
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm definitely a work in progress. lol

I just checked on the runDisney site and it says that the TOT is already 50% full! I didn't realize that it would fill so quickly. I'm afraid to sign up already! It just seems so early.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #21
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm definitely a work in progress. lol

I just checked on the runDisney site and it says that the TOT is already 50% full! I didn't realize that it would fill so quickly. I'm afraid to sign up already! It just seems so early.
Sign up and use it as a motivator. That kind of spend will help get you moving, and give you something really exciting to help you out the door each day.

Also, if you decide to register, tell EVERYONE. It really helps to have that kind of "pressure". You don't want to have to tell anyone that you didn't achieve a goal, so you work hard enough to avoid that.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #22
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Well I signed up! That alone is nerve wracking!!! I am going to hold off on telling my hubby until I've gotten a few more work outs in so he doesn't think I am completely crazy. And I downloaded the c25k podcasts on my phone and will check them out. I have the app but I don't like the music so maybe this will work better.

Now I need to see if my kids want to do the fun runs. It would be cool to run with them although I would definitely be the slowest of us. lol

Old 02-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #23
ILDisneyfan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Well I signed up! That alone is nerve wracking!!!
Congratulations!
ILDisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #24
Pkltm
Canadian Mouse Girl

Good Luck!!!! I am not a runner but I am trying to get more into it! We have signed for a color run too, and I am considering the 1/2 Wine and Dine, but I am concerned I will bite off more than I can chew.
Pkltm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #25
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkltm View Post
Good Luck!!!! I am not a runner but I am trying to get more into it! We have signed for a color run too, and I am considering the 1/2 Wine and Dine, but I am concerned I will bite off more than I can chew.
Oh, I am terrified that I won't make it. I've had a knot in my stomach since I clicked the register button. BUT I figure there is only one way to make that knot go away; TRAIN!

I've been invited to do a color run with a team in the beginning of April. As long as my training begins to go well I will join them. Then I think I will try to get a 10k under my belt before the TOT too. Yikes. Excited and terrified all at once.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #26
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Well I signed up! That alone is nerve wracking!!!

Now I need to see if my kids want to do the fun runs. It would be cool to run with them although I would definitely be the slowest of us. lol
If they don't want to run with you, I'll run with you. The only pacing requirement I have is to keep ahead of the balloon ladies!!

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #27
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

YES!! you can

I started running in April 2011 and ran TOT in September. 2 years (and 100lbs later ), I'm addicted. It's totally doable.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #28
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean1899 View Post
If they don't want to run with you, I'll run with you. The only pacing requirement I have is to keep ahead of the balloon ladies!!
I wouldn't ask my kids to run the 10 miles with me, but I'm kind of hoping to get them interested in the 1 mile run. They will be 11 and 13 when we go. I'm kind of hoping to make it a family thing. I could definitely use a running partner for the race though! I'm not sure if I will stay in front of the balloon ladies, but I'm going to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloirishkitty View Post
YES!! you can

I started running in April 2011 and ran TOT in September. 2 years (and 100lbs later ), I'm addicted. It's totally doable.
This is exactly what I am hoping for! I love the rush I get after I work out and it lasts for hours! I would love to be addicted to something that it GOOD for me for once! lol

Old 02-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #29
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Today I did do my workout with Jillian. It was awful! I forgot how awful it was to get started again. Immediately after I just felt so depressed that I have already accomplished this in the past, but now I have to start over. But I am starting over! I don't want to feel like that again.

I think it is going to be a struggle to adjust my diet to make it work. Doing weight watchers at the same time is going to help me stay accountable, but I need to start eating more in the morning as I had waaaay too many points left at dinner last night.

The plan for the rest of this week is to get back on the treadmill for 30 minutes on Friday morning before work and again on Saturday. I'm not going to start the c25k just yet as I think I need to do a couple of weeks of walking first. And honestly I'd rather not try to do it on a treadmill. I would rather do it outside.

Any opinions on when I should get *real* running shoes? Should I do it already? I'm kind of embarrassed to go into a running store...

Sorry about all the questions. I don't have any runners IRL that I can ask these silly things. Thanks so much everyone for your encouragement and inspiration!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #30
jbuckent
DIS Veteran

I've been thinking about adding Jillian to my week as well. I'm kind of scared of that DVD though!

Starting by walking is a great idea! Get comfortable with the 30 min walk and then start adding run portions!

I would probably get fitted for shoes right away. Nothing to be embarrassed about! You wouldn't want to get injured because of poor fitting shoes.
2/2011 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean | 2/2012 Five nights at Port Orleans French Quarter and 2/2012 Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
3/2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean with San Juan

11/2014 Wine & Dine half marathon followed by
11/2014 Disney Dream 4-night Bahamas
jbuckent is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: