Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #211
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Today during lunch I redid my schedule for training. I will start Galloway's program for the most part but I may add in another day of 30 minutes of running. I am also starting a modified version of the abs and squat challenge. I may be a little ambitious with them but I really need to strengthen my core and quads/glutes to help with my running. I think I've also talked my husband into doing the exercises with me. Not so much the running. lol But I will take what I can get.

I ordered the Jawbone UP24 today from Amazon. I was able to get it from the Marketplace so I saved myself $50. Hopefully it will come tomorrow like they said it would. I plan to start training on Sunday and would like to have the extra data it provides.

I've been tracking all of my food and while I'm not perfect, I am heading in the right direction. I really truly do want to lose weight while I am training which is where I think the Jawbone will really come into play. It will sync all my exercise so I can have a better idea of what my activity is really like, not just what I *think* it is.

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
StayCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #212
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you have renewed enthusiasm

If you're going to be prone to injury I would reconsider adding an extra of running. Three days a week is enough training for a 10 miler and allows your body to have at least a day of recovery between each run. If you do add the extra day, maybe consider making it a shorter session of 20 minutes or something. Really listen to your body and be ready to ditch that extra day if you feel any signs of injury pain.

Having a strong core always reduces your risk of injury, so you'll probably find the abs and squat challenge very beneficial. And if your husband does it too you can spur each other on I would like to do something similar, but still need to wait another 3 weeks until my tummy has recovered a bit more from my gall bladder op.

For me, diet is the hardest part of losing weight. I think heading in the right direction is definitely something to be proud of!

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #213
StayCool
DIS Veteran

I got my jawbone up24 set up and it's pretty cool! It syncs with Runkeeper and MyFitnessPal. So I set that up and bought the half marathon program on Runkeeper. I'm excited to see how it all interacts. Plus it will tell me how well I'm sleeping. I'm a techno nerd. Lol

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #214
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
I got my jawbone up24 set up and it's pretty cool! It syncs with Runkeeper and MyFitnessPal. So I set that up and bought the half marathon program on Runkeeper. I'm excited to see how it all interacts. Plus it will tell me how well I'm sleeping. I'm a techno nerd. Lol

That's great you seem to be getting your motivation back. A question on the 1/2 marathon program on Runkeeper. Is the one you bought different from the free one offered. I was using the free one. But, I know they had others you could buy of all different distances. Just wondering if they are different?

I agree with Zanzibar on taking out one day of running. I mean, if your legs can handle the extra day then great. I would just hate to see you get hurt again. I have been hearing A LOT that yoga is great for runners (well everyone in general). It helps with flexibility and core strength. Maybe try that instead of the extra day of running? I know I am going to try adding it back in to my schedule. It did help when I was doing it.

I did my 10K today. I almost skipped it because I came down with a headcold on Friday. Felt crappy yesterday. But I decided if I had no fever this morning I was doing it. So, I did. I finished in 56:07. My pace was 9:02 min/miles. This was surprising because I had never run this fast in any of my training runs. I had never run over 5.3 miles in my training runs. Throw on the head cold and I never thought I would do this well. I think running with other people helped push me because I hardly walked at all, whereas my training runs I walk a lot more than I did today.

So, I learned some lessons today that might help others. In many cases I think the only thing stopping us from doing something is ourselves. I have been telling myself for years I am not a runner. I am not built to be a runner. You know, the normal self-defeating stuff we tell ourselves. Well, I saw a few people who had that "runner's look" and me and my football player's body finished before quite a few of them. I was 4th in my age group, one place out of a trophy. I came in 35th overall. Not sure how many ran but I know it will into the hundreds.

I hope I am not coming across as bragging because I am not that kind of person. I am just proud of myself. Not only for doing so well in my first race but more importantly for not skipping the race because I was sick. In the past I would have easily used this as an excuse.

So, when any of you think you can't do something, whether it be running, losing weight, controlling your diet (a recent topic of discussion) hopefully this will remind you that you can do it all.

Now for the bad news. It doesn't appear the race results are available on-line. Thankfully I took a pic of the results at the race. I just emailed my time to runDisney with the pic. Hopefully they accept this as proof or I might still end up in the last corral. And, I hurt my left foot during the run. Not sure where because my legs were numb at mile 3 so I couldn't feel anything. Been icing it down. Hopefully it is better tomorrow. I don't want to end up in a boot.
Waiting2goback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #215
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting2goback View Post
That's great you seem to be getting your motivation back. A question on the 1/2 marathon program on Runkeeper. Is the one you bought different from the free one offered. I was using the free one. But, I know they had others you could buy of all different distances. Just wondering if they are different?

I agree with Zanzibar on taking out one day of running. I mean, if your legs can handle the extra day then great. I would just hate to see you get hurt again. I have been hearing A LOT that yoga is great for runners (well everyone in general). It helps with flexibility and core strength. Maybe try that instead of the extra day of running? I know I am going to try adding it back in to my schedule. It did help when I was doing it.

I did my 10K today. I almost skipped it because I came down with a headcold on Friday. Felt crappy yesterday. But I decided if I had no fever this morning I was doing it. So, I did. I finished in 56:07. My pace was 9:02 min/miles. This was surprising because I had never run this fast in any of my training runs. I had never run over 5.3 miles in my training runs. Throw on the head cold and I never thought I would do this well. I think running with other people helped push me because I hardly walked at all, whereas my training runs I walk a lot more than I did today.

So, I learned some lessons today that might help others. In many cases I think the only thing stopping us from doing something is ourselves. I have been telling myself for years I am not a runner. I am not built to be a runner. You know, the normal self-defeating stuff we tell ourselves. Well, I saw a few people who had that "runner's look" and me and my football player's body finished before quite a few of them. I was 4th in my age group, one place out of a trophy. I came in 35th overall. Not sure how many ran but I know it will into the hundreds.

I hope I am not coming across as bragging because I am not that kind of person. I am just proud of myself. Not only for doing so well in my first race but more importantly for not skipping the race because I was sick. In the past I would have easily used this as an excuse.

So, when any of you think you can't do something, whether it be running, losing weight, controlling your diet (a recent topic of discussion) hopefully this will remind you that you can do it all.

Now for the bad news. It doesn't appear the race results are available on-line. Thankfully I took a pic of the results at the race. I just emailed my time to runDisney with the pic. Hopefully they accept this as proof or I might still end up in the last corral. And, I hurt my left foot during the run. Not sure where because my legs were numb at mile 3 so I couldn't feel anything. Been icing it down. Hopefully it is better tomorrow. I don't want to end up in a boot.
I looked through all the programs and the half marathon program that I bought is actually Galloway's program. It fit my needs the most and finishes on Sept. 28th which is the day that we arrive at Disney. Tomorrow will be my first day of the program.

Great job on the race! Hopefully you didn't do any permanent damage and aren't sidelined.

Today was the first day that I wore the Jawbone to work. I have to say how disappointed I am with the very little bit of walking I do at work. I seriously thought I walked more than I do. So on my way home from work, it was such a gorgeous evening that I texted my husband and told him we were going for a walk when I got home. He texted back "I'm tired" so I figured that meant he didn't want to go and I was pretty disappointed. So tonight after dinner I told him that I will not be waiting for him. I will offer so he can exercise with me but if he chooses not to, so be it. I'm doing it on my time.

I've been consistent with tracking my food all week. I weigh in tomorrow so I am kind of looking forward to see what happens. I do like the fact that on My Fitness Pal I can see the breakdown between fat, carbs and protein. I'm over on protein but ok on the other two.

My run tomorrow will be on the treadmill. Hopefully it goes well!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #216
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Ok, some positive news! I weighed myself and I was down 2.6 lbs this morning. Then I got on the treadmill and did 1.4 miles in 30 min. It's not a lot, but considering the last time I only did 0.5 miles... I am not disappointed. The humidity was something like 100% and even though I was in my basement, I was sweating like crazy. lol But it felt so good! I will be doing the squats and ab work tonight after my son's band concert. Hubby says he will too so I'm going to play meanie for a while and push and goad him until he falls in line. He will do it though because he feels blah as well.

Today was what I needed to get my motivation back!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #217
EcbLovesMickey
Willing to Work for Disney Dollars!!!

Quote:
Ok, some positive news! I weighed myself and I was down 2.6 lbs this morning. Then I got on the treadmill and did 1.4 miles in 30 min. It's not a lot, but considering the last time I only did 0.5 miles... I am not disappointed. The humidity was something like 100% and even though I was in my basement, I was sweating like crazy. lol But it felt so good! I will be doing the squats and ab work tonight after my son's band concert. Hubby says he will too so I'm going to play meanie for a while and push and goad him until he falls in line. He will do it though because he feels blah as well. Today was what I needed to get my motivation back!
Yay for weight loss! Any mile is one more than someone sitting on the couch, great job! I started the TOT training plan today and got my 30 minutes in and surprisingly felt pretty good too. Maybe the stars are finally moving into alignment for us!

EcbLovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #218
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcbLovesMickey View Post
Yay for weight loss! Any mile is one more than someone sitting on the couch, great job! I started the TOT training plan today and got my 30 minutes in and surprisingly felt pretty good too. Maybe the stars are finally moving into alignment for us!
Great start. Did you run outside or on a treadmill?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #219
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=StayCool;51568311]

Great job on the race! Hopefully you didn't do any permanent damage and aren't sidelined.

Today was the first day that I wore the Jawbone to work. I have to say how disappointed I am with the very little bit of walking I do at work. I seriously thought I walked more than I do. So on my way home from work, it was such a gorgeous evening that I texted my husband and told him we were going for a walk when I got home. He texted back "I'm tired" so I figured that meant he didn't want to go and I was pretty disappointed. So tonight after dinner I told him that I will not be waiting for him. I will offer so he can exercise with me but if he chooses not to, so be it. I'm doing it on my time.

QUOTE]

Thanks. My foot felt better yesterday but I still decided to ride my bike instead of running to give it some more rest. Well, it hurt again even after the bike ride. If I end up in a boot I am going to be upset. I have a doctor's appt scheduled some time this month so if it isn't better by then I'll have him schedule me for an MRI or X-Ray. Hoping it is better before then.

This is the same thing that happened to me when I first started tracking my food. When I used to "eat healthy" I always wondered why I couldn't lose weight. Then I began tracking my food and saw just how many calories I was eating, even when I was trying to be healthy. It's eye opening when you REALLY SEE what is actually happening. But, it is also enlightening because now you have information to make the changes.

Great job on the weight loss. And, I agree. In relation to the race we are running in October 1.4 miles may not seem like a lot but most people in this country probably can't run a mile. You are doing more than you did last year at this time, right? So, it is a lot. And, you are moving in the right direction and making progress, that is all that matters.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #220
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcbLovesMickey View Post
Exactly! One foot in front of the other until we get to where we are going.

Quote:
Thanks. My foot felt better yesterday but I still decided to ride my bike instead of running to give it some more rest. Well, it hurt again even after the bike ride. If I end up in a boot I am going to be upset. I have a doctor's appt scheduled some time this month so if it isn't better by then I'll have him schedule me for an MRI or X-Ray. Hoping it is better before then.

This is the same thing that happened to me when I first started tracking my food. When I used to "eat healthy" I always wondered why I couldn't lose weight. Then I began tracking my food and saw just how many calories I was eating, even when I was trying to be healthy. It's eye opening when you REALLY SEE what is actually happening. But, it is also enlightening because now you have information to make the changes.

Great job on the weight loss. And, I agree. In relation to the race we are running in October 1.4 miles may not seem like a lot but most people in this country probably can't run a mile. You are doing more than you did last year at this time, right? So, it is a lot. And, you are moving in the right direction and making progress, that is all that matters.
Just be nice to yourself. Although I was upset that I had to wear the boot, I was more concerned with injuring myself further. Hopefully after a little more rest you will be ready to go again. If not, I know someone that has a boot.

I am continuing to monitor my diet and tomorrow will be another run day for me. I'm looking forward to it and hoping to do it outside actually. The kids have an orthodontist appt in the morning so I will probably do it before that. I bought a new pair of running shoes that are supposed to have increased stability compared to the ones I am using. I think they may be a little too narrow though so they may become my day to day shoes instead. I need a little more space for my feet to swell if they need to.

This weekend will be filled with moving. I have a yard and house to get ready for a family party the following weekend. So lots of cleaning and getting my flower gardens cleared up. I'm looking forward to it.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #221
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer

I am not feeling any pain in my foot now, didn't have much yesterday and the pain I had after my bike ride, after thinking more about it, wasn't the same pain I had after my race. It was more on sore tendons, which I also had in my right foot and have after every run where I increase my distance. So, I will give running a try tonight.

Good for you on the diet. I know about wide feet. Most shoes are to narrow for me.

Did you ever buy a bike, I can't remember if you told us?

I just saw your ticker in your signature and got reminded that your trip for this race will also be your first trip to WDW ever. Trust me when I tell you that all this work you are doing will not only make it possible to finish the race but it will allow you to enjoy your trip so much more. Tell your husband when he is too tired to exercise to picture himself walking in 90' heat and 90% humidity throughout the parks all day. I heard the average person walks at least 5 miles a day each day they are in the parks. If that doesn't motivate him to get in better shape nothing will.

Last August when I went I got through the days fine but my back and legs were killing me at the end of each day. Being down 25 lbs as of right now, and hopefully at least 40 lbs by October, will make a HUGE difference in this trip. I can't wait.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #222
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am not feeling any pain in my foot now, didn't have much yesterday and the pain I had after my bike ride, after thinking more about it, wasn't the same pain I had after my race. It was more on sore tendons, which I also had in my right foot and have after every run where I increase my distance. So, I will give running a try tonight.

Did you ever buy a bike, I can't remember if you told us?

I just saw your ticker in your signature and got reminded that your trip for this race will also be your first trip to WDW ever. Trust me when I tell you that all this work you are doing will not only make it possible to finish the race but it will allow you to enjoy your trip so much more. Tell your husband when he is too tired to exercise to picture himself walking in 90' heat and 90% humidity throughout the parks all day. I heard the average person walks at least 5 miles a day each day they are in the parks. If that doesn't motivate him to get in better shape nothing will.

Last August when I went I got through the days fine but my back and legs were killing me at the end of each day. Being down 25 lbs as of right now, and hopefully at least 40 lbs by October, will make a HUGE difference in this trip. I can't wait.
I hope your foot is fine after your run. Good luck!

I did not get a bike yet. I'm still looking. I don't want to spend much on one so I am looking for a used one. It is not a huge priority for me right now so I'm just looking at yard sales and on craigslist etc.

I understand that I will feel better in the parks. Heck, I already do! My husband gets that too. But he does not want to get up early to exercise and then lacks motivation in the afternoon... I get up early so that I do have motivation to do it. Idk. He will have to figure it out, or not. I'm not trying to be mean but inertia is strong in my house. So I've got to keep moving!

Old 06-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #223
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Today I attempted to run. I say attempted because I only made it about 17 minutes and 0.8 miles. I woke up hungry so I had a chocolate chip granola bar. Then I just went right down and got on the treadmill. I felt really good so I decided to push myself to go a little faster and at first it was fine. Then it suddenly wasn't. I became nauseous and dizzy. So I stopped. I am not sure what actually brought that on. Hunger? I don't think I was dehydrated. I'm not sure.

My second question is, how do I know when to push myself further? I feel like sometimes I become complacent because it isn't "easy" so I don't try to do more. Today I did try and it didn't work out. So much to work on...

Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #224
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Today I attempted to run. I say attempted because I only made it about 17 minutes and 0.8 miles. I woke up hungry so I had a chocolate chip granola bar. Then I just went right down and got on the treadmill. I felt really good so I decided to push myself to go a little faster and at first it was fine. Then it suddenly wasn't. I became nauseous and dizzy. So I stopped. I am not sure what actually brought that on. Hunger? I don't think I was dehydrated. I'm not sure.

My second question is, how do I know when to push myself further? I feel like sometimes I become complacent because it isn't "easy" so I don't try to do more. Today I did try and it didn't work out. So much to work on...
This is a tough one. Maybe try a banana when you wake up instead. I know the few times I attempted to workout in the morning I felt sick as well. This is why I moved my workouts to night time. It is hard to do after a long day but I had much better workouts because I wasn't hungry.

I always questioned how I will know when to push harder. Then I figured out that my body will tell me when to push harder. My brain and my body are very rarely on the same page. My brain still thinks my body is 16 years old. So, I can't do 1/2 the stuff I want to do anymore, as quickly as I want to do it. I think that is why the training programs are important. If your program says to do 3 miles, do the 3 miles. I think making it through the 3 miles is more important than how fast you do it. Walk it if you have to. From everything I have read and heard about it (Listening to the Mickey Miles Podcast has taught me a lot) the beginning stages of training are more about getting your body used to the pounding it takes from running. Even if you are walking it your body is getting used to the mileage. (This was from Jeff Galloway himself on the podcast)

For me, I had pain everywhere when I first started running. Then, suddenly one day I was 4 miles into a run (By now I was typically in pain, sucking wind, and my leg was numb). I heard on RunKeeper that I hit 4 miles. I said, "Wait, I feel really good, what's going on. Can this be right?" This is when I realized it was OK to push myself.

You also need to consider, these training plans are not set up for people who are 50+ lbs overweight typically. So, you need to consider that you are doing something most people aren't doing. Not many people who are 50+ lbs overweight are training to run 10 miles in extreme heat. (When I say it like that it makes us sound crazy, huh? ) My point is, do the miles it says but do it at a pace that allows you to complete it. Then move to a pace that gets a bit harder. A month into it you will notice you are feeling good, you'll be a few pounds lighter, the feet hurt less and then you can push it more. Just modify to your situation for now.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #225
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is a tough one. Maybe try a banana when you wake up instead. I know the few times I attempted to workout in the morning I felt sick as well. This is why I moved my workouts to night time. It is hard to do after a long day but I had much better workouts because I wasn't hungry.

I always questioned how I will know when to push harder. Then I figured out that my body will tell me when to push harder. My brain and my body are very rarely on the same page. My brain still thinks my body is 16 years old. So, I can't do 1/2 the stuff I want to do anymore, as quickly as I want to do it. I think that is why the training programs are important. If your program says to do 3 miles, do the 3 miles. I think making it through the 3 miles is more important than how fast you do it. Walk it if you have to. From everything I have read and heard about it (Listening to the Mickey Miles Podcast has taught me a lot) the beginning stages of training are more about getting your body used to the pounding it takes from running. Even if you are walking it your body is getting used to the mileage. (This was from Jeff Galloway himself on the podcast)

You also need to consider, these training plans are not set up for people who are 50+ lbs overweight typically. So, you need to consider that you are doing something most people aren't doing. Not many people who are 50+ lbs overweight are training to run 10 miles in extreme heat. (When I say it like that it makes us sound crazy, huh? )

Hope that helps.
I was out of bananas that morning which is why I grabbed the granola bar. It was odd because I'm not a breakfast person, so me waking up hungry is weird. But I will definitely keep that in mind. I can't do workouts at night right now because I will not do them. Sounds stupid but after a long day I just don't want to exercise. I will wake up in the morning and drag my butt out still rubbing the sleep out of my eyes and I'm good. Wait all day and I will talk myself out of it. So for now it's mornings. Once I get further in my training program I will have to figure out running later so that I can prepare for the night race but for now it's a deal breaker.

As far as feeling 16, lol I definitely feel like that. Until I try to do something I shouldn't and my body tells me to cool it cuz I'm in my 30's!

Being overweight and training is not something I have given a lot of thought to recently. I *know* I am overweight but in my day to day life I don't dwell on it as much as you might think. Mostly only when I have to go shopping for clothes actually! lol On the plus side, I've noticed that things are definitely looser in just the short time I've been working out so that makes me excited!

Hope everyone is having a great day. I've got to get back to reorganizing my flower beds while the weather is nice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: