Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #196
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 31,504

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
A general question for anyone that cares to answer. I'm "doing" Weight Watchers. Which lately means that I am not tracking anything. I do make good choices for breakfast and lunch but it all falls apart as soon as I get home. I'm thinking about dropping WW for now and start to do "clean eating" instead. Any thoughts? The whole counting points is not working at the moment although I have done it successfully in the past. I think I need to go cold turkey and cut out all carbs and sugars that are not vegetables just to reset myself.
Why not go to the Simply Filling method?
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #197
StayCool
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NYS
Posts: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting2goback View Post
StayCool- I know you are right too. I have NEVER loved myself. I grew up around toxic family and then married my toxic wife. Very rarely did I hear anything good about myself. But, I found this book on self-esteem and in the first couple chapters I had to do this exercise called an "accurate self-assessment". It tought me how to reword my thoughts about myself. Then you have to read it twice a day for 21 days (I think it was 21) to train your brain to think differently. Ever since my whole view has changed of myself and life in general.

As far as your question about diet. Here is my take. Good for you on dropping WW. I don't like those diet plans because you will never be able to do it your whole life. Too many people use them to lose the weight and then they put it back on when they stop because they didn't learn the tools to eat healthy without the guide to follow. I'm guessing that is not your goal.

If you like to read I HIGHLY recommend a book called Ultrametabolism, by Dr. Mark Hyman. You will learn how food impacts your blood sugar and eating habits. For the quick answer, I say find out what your daily calorie intake needs to be to reach your goals. I use an APP called "Lose It". Assuming you have a smart phone, I would try it. You can put all your goals in and it will tell you what your calories should be. Then you enter your food as you consume it. Its not as time consuming as you think because you can just scan the bar codes of the stuff you eat and you just put how much you eat in.

If you eat lean protiens (chicken and turkey), fresh fruits and veggies, have brown rice instead of white rice, stay away from high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils, and limit your sugar you will see the pounds melt away.

The Lose It app will breakdown your ratios of fat/carbs/protien as well as tell you how much sugar and salt you are consuming. All helpful info.

Protiens and foods high in fiber (fresh fruits and veggies) keep you full longer so you have less cravings.

This type of "diet" is what has me down 25 lbs in 5 1/2 months. And now that I am used to it, it is easy and I have no desire to eat junk anymore. I'll have an occassional cookie or chip but when you see that three cookies are 200 calories compared to a huge bowl of strawberries is 100-150 you can see why it is so easy to put on weight with bad habits.

Hope that helps. Happy to help more if you aren't bored yet.
I had the same type of home life growing up as well. It was definitely toxic and all I learned was how I didn't want to be. You have started the process and just keep bumping along. Weight Watchers has worked well for me in the past but currently I've been using it in a twisted way to eat poorly which does not help anyone. I may return to it someday but for now I need to start with a clean slate I think. Good luck with training for the marathon!
__________________
Me DH DD13 DS11

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
StayCool is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #198
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
Lately I have been eating way too many sweets. I just need to cut them out. Period. I do not have the self control needed to have them in my house and not eat them. Maybe I will just focus on 2 weeks with no sweets at all and see how it goes. I just know I need to change something, but I'm not sure where to start.
This is why that book I suggested was so helpful to me. At the beginning of each chapter he had a real life case study with a patient and a certain ody medical issue. Then he used the chapter to explain how food was the cause and showed how proper diet fixed it where all the meds the previous doctor was giving him did nothing.

I had MANY of the issues he discussed in the book.

But, when you eat sugar, or the white menace (white flour, white rice, etc...) it causes blood sugar spikes and in an hour or 2 when the blood sugar goes down you "crash" and you are looking for more food even when you aren't REALLY hungry. This will cause your body to be all messed up with its production of insulin. After a while this is how people become diabetic.

Healthy foods keep your blood sugar consistent and also make you feel full longer so you have no cravings.
Waiting2goback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #199
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran
 
zanzibar138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,415

I have the same issue with willpower. I have the biggest sweet tooth and if there is a block of chocolate or a bag of lollies in the house, you'd better believe we'll eat the whole thing between us in one sitting

I try not to keep sweets in the house, and only eat them if I'm out and someone offers them, or going out for coffee I might have a small slice or a cookie etc. If we're going out for dinner I'll usually try to share a dessert with someone in our group, or skip dessert altogether if I've really enjoyed my main meal.
__________________

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #200
EcbLovesMickey
Willing to Work for Disney Dollars!!!
 
EcbLovesMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North of Mickey and South of Santa
Posts: 1,558

I am the biggest night time snacker. In days I feel like I ate well I end up messing it all up when I snack before bedtime. Lately I have been forcing myself to drink a lot more at night to try and quench my snacking urge. It helps a bit. Honestly I feel like my heart is not in it right now. It's hard to concentrate on yourself when you're so busy taking care of everyone else
__________________

EcbLovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #201
StayCool
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NYS
Posts: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Why not go to the Simply Filling method?
Um, I don't know? Actually I forgot that was an option. I've always tracked points so I didn't even think about that. I plan to restart (for the millionth time) on Tuesday so I will look into Simply Filling tomorrow. Thank you for the reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
I have the same issue with willpower. I have the biggest sweet tooth and if there is a block of chocolate or a bag of lollies in the house, you'd better believe we'll eat the whole thing between us in one sitting
Will power? What is that? I have been known to get a handful of chocolate chips out of the cupboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcbLovesMickey View Post
I am the biggest night time snacker. In days I feel like I ate well I end up messing it all up when I snack before bedtime. Lately I have been forcing myself to drink a lot more at night to try and quench my snacking urge. It helps a bit. Honestly I feel like my heart is not in it right now. It's hard to concentrate on yourself when you're so busy taking care of everyone else
Night time and when I am bored are what trips me up. As long as I am busy I'm fine. I have had a lull at work lately which means a lot of sitting around. And there is a grocery store attached to my work. Which leads to a lot of not so good choices.

Well yesterday I went grocery shopping and restocked the house with *good* stuff. Now I just need to follow through and actually eat it! I do think that I am going to try a carb "detox" of some sort. No processed foods or breads for a week or two. The only exception will be my coffee. My creamer has sugar but I can't live without my one cup a day. I'm not planning to exercise today as I am just starting to feel normal. But I think tomorrow I will either drag the hubby and kids for a walk or go for a run, maybe both if I feel up to it. Hope everyone has a Happy Memorial Day!
__________________
Me DH DD13 DS11

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
StayCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #202
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 46,662

You can even switch to and from simply filling on a daily basis if you wish to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
Will power? What is that? I have been known to get a handful of chocolate chips out of the cupboard...
Fwiw I've done that too. While on plan. The chocolate just makes a brief stop on the scale first so I know what I'm eating. Knowing and tracking = less guilt and assuming (and eating more bc I blew it so I might as well go crazy) = feeling better about myself = generally treating myself better. Keep that food scale close to thing things you want to grab a handful of! Ours is under the chocolate cupboard and next to where we keep cashews peanuts and almonds. Make it easy.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #203
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 31,504

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
Um, I don't know? Actually I forgot that was an option. I've always tracked points so I didn't even think about that. I plan to restart (for the millionth time) on Tuesday so I will look into Simply Filling tomorrow. Thank you for the reminder!



Will power? What is that? I have been known to get a handful of chocolate chips out of the cupboard...



Night time and when I am bored are what trips me up. As long as I am busy I'm fine. I have had a lull at work lately which means a lot of sitting around. And there is a grocery store attached to my work. Which leads to a lot of not so good choices.

Well yesterday I went grocery shopping and restocked the house with *good* stuff. Now I just need to follow through and actually eat it! I do think that I am going to try a carb "detox" of some sort. No processed foods or breads for a week or two. The only exception will be my coffee. My creamer has sugar but I can't live without my one cup a day. I'm not planning to exercise today as I am just starting to feel normal. But I think tomorrow I will either drag the hubby and kids for a walk or go for a run, maybe both if I feel up to it. Hope everyone has a Happy Memorial Day!
You can try the "Simple Start" with WW. It's a 2-week program for newvies that centers on the Simply Filling concept. It will automatically cut out the processed foods and you can also cut the bread and "white" carbs while you are at it. There are menu choices and recipes both in the book (if you go to meetings) and online.
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #204
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 458

I used to HAVE to have a snack every night. It was a routine. My go-to was ice cream. I had a huge bowl every night. Its no wonder I was packing on the pounds and had stomach issues all the time. I have been so hungry lately that I have been having a snack again but I try to keep them healthier if I give in and have one. I still feel guilty though.
Waiting2goback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #205
StayCool
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NYS
Posts: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
You can even switch to and from simply filling on a daily basis if you wish to.

Fwiw I've done that too. While on plan. The chocolate just makes a brief stop on the scale first so I know what I'm eating. Knowing and tracking = less guilt and assuming (and eating more bc I blew it so I might as well go crazy) = feeling better about myself = generally treating myself better. Keep that food scale close to thing things you want to grab a handful of! Ours is under the chocolate cupboard and next to where we keep cashews peanuts and almonds. Make it easy.
I do have a food scale and I will use it fairly regularly for a while and then stop. I have a mental block about tracking and going over my points. I'm not sure why but if I know I will go over I just avoid tracking. Insert ostrich with head in sand here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
You can try the "Simple Start" with WW. It's a 2-week program for newvies that centers on the Simply Filling concept. It will automatically cut out the processed foods and you can also cut the bread and "white" carbs while you are at it. There are menu choices and recipes both in the book (if you go to meetings) and online.
I looked it up last night and think that in general, I am going to stick with that. I will eat off of the Power Food list mostly along with tracking. BUT I am going to avoid anything white for a couple of weeks... I'm not a meeting person so I do everything online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting2goback View Post
I used to HAVE to have a snack every night. It was a routine. My go-to was ice cream. I had a huge bowl every night. Its no wonder I was packing on the pounds and had stomach issues all the time. I have been so hungry lately that I have been having a snack again but I try to keep them healthier if I give in and have one. I still feel guilty though.
I used to be a dedicated ice cream person too. I'm better, but still working on it...



Ok, so here is the new revised plan (for the millionth time...). I am going to *mostly* do Simply Filling. I say mostly because there are a few things that I am not willing to change so I will continue to track points while eating power foods. I have a cup of coffee every morning. I have also been having a protein shake made with 12 oz of almond milk that seems to be working well for me. It is a total of 4 points. I don't like to eat breakfast so at least I'm eating something this way. Lunch will likely be mostly salads. Dinners will vary.

I am committed to cutting out anything white for the next 2 weeks. Starting today. No pasta, sweets, breads (other than whole wheat) etc. It is going to be hard but I need to do it. I am back to being tired all the time and I lack motivation to do anything. I'm not sure if it is because I was not feeling well or if it is just me. But I'm going to find out. Tomorrow I will start exercising again. No more excuses or saying I am just too tired. I also have my follow up with the orthopedic doc and PT tomorrow.

I'm going to try my best not to be cranky...
__________________
Me DH DD13 DS11

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
StayCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #206
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
I do have a food scale and I will use it fairly regularly for a while and then stop. I have a mental block about tracking and going over my points. I'm not sure why but if I know I will go over I just avoid tracking. Insert ostrich with head in sand here.



I looked it up last night and think that in general, I am going to stick with that. I will eat off of the Power Food list mostly along with tracking. BUT I am going to avoid anything white for a couple of weeks... I'm not a meeting person so I do everything online.



I used to be a dedicated ice cream person too. I'm better, but still working on it...



Ok, so here is the new revised plan (for the millionth time...). I am going to *mostly* do Simply Filling. I say mostly because there are a few things that I am not willing to change so I will continue to track points while eating power foods. I have a cup of coffee every morning. I have also been having a protein shake made with 12 oz of almond milk that seems to be working well for me. It is a total of 4 points. I don't like to eat breakfast so at least I'm eating something this way. Lunch will likely be mostly salads. Dinners will vary.

I am committed to cutting out anything white for the next 2 weeks. Starting today. No pasta, sweets, breads (other than whole wheat) etc. It is going to be hard but I need to do it. I am back to being tired all the time and I lack motivation to do anything. I'm not sure if it is because I was not feeling well or if it is just me. But I'm going to find out. Tomorrow I will start exercising again. No more excuses or saying I am just too tired. I also have my follow up with the orthopedic doc and PT tomorrow.

I'm going to try my best not to be cranky...


Good luck with the elimination diet. It's OK if you're a little grouchy, it will all be worth it when you start losing the weight and get healthy.
Waiting2goback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #207
StayCool
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NYS
Posts: 595

Some progress today. I saw the orthopedic doctor today and he cleared me for everything. He said that the MRI showed that I may have had a post tibial sprain. I never had any pain there so I'm not sure what he saw. I asked him about any kind of flip flops/sandals I can wear in the summer because I can't handle wearing sneakers all summer. He just looked at me funny and said well if your foot hurts you will have to. He didn't have suggestions and I am a little leary of spending $60 on shoes that I can't try on. I'm not sure what I am going to do there.

I re-read all of Dis_Yoda's training report for TOT and that helped me gain some perspective. I just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I've been tracking all of my food and I've downloaded MyFitnessPal to see how I like it. So far it is nice to see how it actually breaks the food down into carbs, protein and fat. If I like it I might cancel WW and use this instead. I'm tempted to get a Jawbone 24 to link to MFP so I can monitor my activity more accurately. Anything to get me motivated.
__________________
Me DH DD13 DS11

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
StayCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #208
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran
 
Dis_Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 2,764

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
Some progress today. I saw the orthopedic doctor today and he cleared me for everything. He said that the MRI showed that I may have had a post tibial sprain. I never had any pain there so I'm not sure what he saw. I asked him about any kind of flip flops/sandals I can wear in the summer because I can't handle wearing sneakers all summer. He just looked at me funny and said well if your foot hurts you will have to. He didn't have suggestions and I am a little leary of spending $60 on shoes that I can't try on. I'm not sure what I am going to do there.

I re-read all of Dis_Yoda's training report for TOT and that helped me gain some perspective. I just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I've been tracking all of my food and I've downloaded MyFitnessPal to see how I like it. So far it is nice to see how it actually breaks the food down into carbs, protein and fat. If I like it I might cancel WW and use this instead. I'm tempted to get a Jawbone 24 to link to MFP so I can monitor my activity more accurately. Anything to get me motivated.
I'm glad you are cleared for everything! Start slow. Have you looked at supportive type flip flops? I pretty much only used Under Armour's flip flops now because of how comfortable and supportive they can be.

I'm glad my report is helping you gain some perspective. I'm not an awesome fast runner by any means. I just want to be able to finish and not be in pain. 1 year ago, I barely did any exercise so I started small with the Happy Haunted 5K. Its awesome you picked ToT for your first race!

The official ToT training program starts on Tuesday.
http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rund.../TOT14_Beg.pdf

It might be a good place to start even if you are walking more than you are running.

I've enjoyed using MyFitnessPal in the past. I've been bad about it lately outside of just using it to record my weight. It definitely takes discipline to use but so does WW but it doesn't give you a financial incentive to keep up. (Although I guess paying the race fee for ToT is a financial incentive)

LG came out with their own activity monitor this past month as well. I might be looking at getting that. It has a display on the band so you don't just have to look at your phone.
__________________
Upcoming Trips: CBR Dec 2014, Disneyland Jan 2015, POP Feb 2015, AKV Oct 2015, DCL Feb 2016
Disneyland: Jan 2015 Hilton Head: Feb 2012
Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #209
StayCool
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NYS
Posts: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
I'm glad you are cleared for everything! Start slow. Have you looked at supportive type flip flops? I pretty much only used Under Armour's flip flops now because of how comfortable and supportive they can be.

I'm glad my report is helping you gain some perspective. I'm not an awesome fast runner by any means. I just want to be able to finish and not be in pain. 1 year ago, I barely did any exercise so I started small with the Happy Haunted 5K. Its awesome you picked ToT for your first race!

The official ToT training program starts on Tuesday.
http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rund.../TOT14_Beg.pdf

It might be a good place to start even if you are walking more than you are running.

I've enjoyed using MyFitnessPal in the past. I've been bad about it lately outside of just using it to record my weight. It definitely takes discipline to use but so does WW but it doesn't give you a financial incentive to keep up. (Although I guess paying the race fee for ToT is a financial incentive)

LG came out with their own activity monitor this past month as well. I might be looking at getting that. It has a display on the band so you don't just have to look at your phone.
I'm glad to be cleared too! I haven't checked out Under Armour for flip flops. I know I need something with a good arch support. Otherwise it sends my PF through the roof. I wore sandals all last weekend and my feet are sore. Not awful, but I'm very aware of them currently.

I do have the TOT plan written out in my calendar and all the workouts from now until October. It is even highlighted so every time I open it to check something it smacks me in the face. lol I am hoping to be able to get back into the running more than walking but from the looks of it, the biggest key to the program is to finish the distance listed vs going for a specific amount of time. Hopefully I am thinking about it correctly.

As far as WW, I have been paying for it for about 3 years now and actually only used it correctly for about 6 months out of that time. I'm thinking that if I can use My Fitness Pal in it's place, I will save the $19/month I may or may not be using. Plus if I do invest in a Jawbone I like that it will all link. I think that is so cool.

I'm doing ok with the diet changes. I say ok because I have had dessert the last 2 nights. Strawberries with stevia over angel food cake. Not horrible but not what I said I was going to do. The rest of the days have been good though. I am going to start a month long ab and squat challenge on Sunday and my husband says he will do it with me. We will see. lol

My new running shoes came yesterday. They have much more in the way of arch support and I'm excited to try them out. Looks like tomorrow will be the day! I also signed myself up for 3 months of Stridebox. I was able to get it for $50 and no renewal. I figure this will give me things to play with and see what I need once I get back on my feet. There is a local 5k in a month and I am hoping to be ready for it. It starts at 7pm so that will be different too since I am a morning workout person. Time to put one foot in front of the other.
__________________
Me DH DD13 DS11

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
StayCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #210
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 458

I haven't heard of Jawbone or Stridebox before. I will have to see what they are all about.

Don't beat yourself up too much over the snacks at night. It is a hard habit to break.

I got one more last warm-up run in yesterday before my 10K on Sunday. Now I am just going to rest my legs since I am pretty sore.

Today was my monthly weigh-in day. I was so excited to weigh myself and take my measurements because it felt like I had lost a lot of weight this month. I measured everything last month to make sure I knew exactly what I was eating. I get on the scale and BAM, I lost 3 lbs. Of course I tried it a few more times thinking the scale just wasn't working. It felt like it would be 8-10 lbs. But, I am not as mad as I normally would have been. I lost an inch on my waist. My visceral fat (the fat surrounding your organs) went from 15% to 14%. My overall body fat percentage went down a bit as well.

So, even though I didn't lose much weight the rest of the numbers helped keep it from being a disaster.
Waiting2goback is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: