Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #181
EcbLovesMickey
Willing to Work for Disney Dollars!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
I got up and ran this morning. I did not feel very motivated and just wanted to sleep but I did it anyway. I didn't finish the workout. I made it a grand total of 0.67 miles in 14 minutes and then stopped. My lungs were burning and I was just plain tired. I guess I won't be doing the 10k in 3 weeks after all short of a miracle. Time to start plodding forward again. On the plus side there is no pain in my foot and nothing else hurts either. I had fallen off the whole eating healthy and drinking my water thing too. So this morning I had a protein shake and I am having a cup of coffee. The rest of the day I am going to focus on getting in my water. Here's to starting over!
I'm so sorry you're feeling down. You're not alone though. I have been feeling in the doldrums lately too. Must be something in the stars. I cannot get up motivation to stand up much less run. Hoping things turn around for both of us soon!

EcbLovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:18 AM   #182
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Hang in there. Aerobic fitness is easy to increase, it just takes time. The main thing is that your injury isn't coming back

And you can still do the Disney run even if you can't do the 10k. A lot of people (myself and the rest of my party included) have to start from the last corral. Our plan is to get there early and at least get a spot at the front of the last corral.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #183
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer

I think the fact that you were so itching to get going when you had the boot on is a sign that you really have the motivation. Getting up early an exercising is a hard habit to start. The fact that you did something shows you ARE motivated. It would have been easy to stay in bed longer or sit back and have an extra donut with breakfast, etc...

The same thing is happening with me lately. I keep telling myself I hate running and I am not motivated but the minute I decide to workout and I get started I am doing the best I can for that workout. And, I had to have a tooth pulled yesterday because it is infected and cracked, etc... Couldn't be saved. I was stupid enough to think I would be able to do my scheduled run last night. When the doctor told me I couldn't run or workout for a week I felt like someone hit my in the stomach. This screws up all my plans for getting a few more training runs in before my 10K on 6/1.

NEVER before I have been upset I couldn't workout. In just 6 months of taking my exercise seriously and making it a habit, I feel it is now part of my life.

And, zanzibar is right. You can still do the Disney race. If you really wanted, you could do the 10K in a couple weeks as well. Even if you do a run walk thing, if you can achieve a 13 min/mi pace (for example), from what I am hearing it might be enough to move you up a couple corrals. If you can't do it, no big deal, but if you wanted to you could probably at least walk it.
Waiting2goback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #184
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcbLovesMickey View Post
I'm so sorry you're feeling down. You're not alone though. I have been feeling in the doldrums lately too. Must be something in the stars. I cannot get up motivation to stand up much less run. Hoping things turn around for both of us soon!
I got used to sleeping in again and now that's all I want to do! lol It doesn't help that it is gray and rainy here more than sunny right now. Hopefully we both push ourselves through this and come through stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Hang in there. Aerobic fitness is easy to increase, it just takes time. The main thing is that your injury isn't coming back

And you can still do the Disney run even if you can't do the 10k. A lot of people (myself and the rest of my party included) have to start from the last corral. Our plan is to get there early and at least get a spot at the front of the last corral.
Thinking that I am going to get swept causes me anxiety. I was dealing with it by saying that I would submit a POT so I wouldn't be in the last corral. Oh well. I am definitely happy that my injury isn't returning. I just have to remember to not push myself too hard since I obviously won't be able to do what I was doing 2 months ago right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting2goback View Post
I think the fact that you were so itching to get going when you had the boot on is a sign that you really have the motivation. Getting up early an exercising is a hard habit to start. The fact that you did something shows you ARE motivated. It would have been easy to stay in bed longer or sit back and have an extra donut with breakfast, etc...

The same thing is happening with me lately. I keep telling myself I hate running and I am not motivated but the minute I decide to workout and I get started I am doing the best I can for that workout. And, I had to have a tooth pulled yesterday because it is infected and cracked, etc... Couldn't be saved. I was stupid enough to think I would be able to do my scheduled run last night. When the doctor told me I couldn't run or workout for a week I felt like someone hit my in the stomach. This screws up all my plans for getting a few more training runs in before my 10K on 6/1.

NEVER before I have been upset I couldn't workout. In just 6 months of taking my exercise seriously and making it a habit, I feel it is now part of my life.

And, zanzibar is right. You can still do the Disney race. If you really wanted, you could do the 10K in a couple weeks as well. Even if you do a run walk thing, if you can achieve a 13 min/mi pace (for example), from what I am hearing it might be enough to move you up a couple corrals. If you can't do it, no big deal, but if you wanted to you could probably at least walk it.
How you feel about your tooth stopping you from running is how I felt about my foot. It had only been 2 months but I liked feeling stronger than I have in a long time. I was more energetic and active without trying. I've slipped back into some of my old habits over the last few weeks...

I don't dare do the race because I'm not familiar with the type of people that do it. If it was a fun race, like a color run or something, I would consider it. But my pace would be slow and I would be really embarrassed if I came in last or something. Oh well. I will just have to try to get to the front of whatever corral I end up in and hope for the best.

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
StayCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #185
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thinking that I am going to get swept causes me anxiety. I was dealing with it by saying that I would submit a POT so I wouldn't be in the last corral. Oh well. I am definitely happy that my injury isn't returning. I just have to remember to not push myself too hard since I obviously won't be able to do what I was doing 2 months ago right away.
Try not to panic about being swept. If you do your training right and have a plan on the day, there's no reason why you would be, even if you start in the last corral. From what I understand the corrals are pretty big, so if you get there early and aim for a place at the front, you should still have a large gap between you and the balloon ladies. The worst that will probably happen is that you might not have time to stop for characters and photo opportunities.

You're right about not pushing yourself too hard. The last thing you want is to go too hard too fast and bring your injury back, putting yourself out of action for weeks again! Just focus on building up your training nice and steady, and remember that you have a longer term plan to aim for the TOT run.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 05-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #186
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't dare do the race because I'm not familiar with the type of people that do it. If it was a fun race, like a color run or something, I would consider it. But my pace would be slow and I would be really embarrassed if I came in last or something. Oh well. I will just have to try to get to the front of whatever corral I end up in and hope for the best.

I understand where you are coming from. When I signed up for the ToT I pictured me being passed by everyone as I was sucking wind on the side of the course. But then I changed my perspective. Even if you are the last one to cross the finish line doesn't mean you came in last. The people that are coming in last are the ones still sitting on the couch living an unhealthy lifestyle.

I don't know if I have said this before on this thread or not but I am getting divorced. The wife and I are still living together until I can get a good job and we can get some more money saved. (I have been a stay-at-home dad for 6 years) We have been on one income for a few years. Anyway, she is one of those naturally skinny people. When I met her she was 5'3" and 97 lbs. So, she NEVER had to exercise to look good. Well, now father time is catching up with her. After 4 kids she has aches and pains, no energy, constant tension headaches, and an overall terrible attitude. (I am now seeing how that has brought me down for all these years but that's a different story).

At every chance she gets, she is on the couch taking a nap. Even if it is during the day when the kids are running around. She is openly against exercise, has been for years. My whole point is, even if you walk that whole race you are still way ahead of her because you are trying to improve yourself. You have nothing to be embarrassed about AT ALL. You should be PROUD of yourself because you are doing something VERY hard to do, change your bad habits.

If you didn't already sign up for the race I wouldn't do it now but if you paid for that 10K I would go and do my best. You MAY do well enough to improve your corral placement, which sounds like a big concern of yours.

If you're still not comfortable doing it I wouldn't stress the balloon ladies. You still have 4 months to get ready and I think you would be surprised at how much you will improve provided you stay injury-free and can workout consistantly.

Not trying to sound like I am preaching to you. But, reading your thread got me motivated and inspired because you sounded so positive. Just trying to return the favor.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #187
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Try not to panic about being swept. If you do your training right and have a plan on the day, there's no reason why you would be, even if you start in the last corral. From what I understand the corrals are pretty big, so if you get there early and aim for a place at the front, you should still have a large gap between you and the balloon ladies. The worst that will probably happen is that you might not have time to stop for characters and photo opportunities.

You're right about not pushing yourself too hard. The last thing you want is to go too hard too fast and bring your injury back, putting yourself out of action for weeks again! Just focus on building up your training nice and steady, and remember that you have a longer term plan to aim for the TOT run.
I'm going to try not to think about the race at all for now other than as motivation to get my butt out there! I do plan to get there early so I'm just going to follow through with that. I know that in high school when I was actually somewhat fit (I've always been overweight) I was only running about a 14 minute mile. I'm hoping I can get back to that point. Then I will feel comfortable with my abilities.

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from. When I signed up for the ToT I pictured me being passed by everyone as I was sucking wind on the side of the course. But then I changed my perspective. Even if you are the last one to cross the finish line doesn't mean you came in last. The people that are coming in last are the ones still sitting on the couch living an unhealthy lifestyle.

I don't know if I have said this before on this thread or not but I am getting divorced. The wife and I are still living together until I can get a good job and we can get some more money saved. (I have been a stay-at-home dad for 6 years) We have been on one income for a few years. Anyway, she is one of those naturally skinny people. When I met her she was 5'3" and 97 lbs. So, she NEVER had to exercise to look good. Well, now father time is catching up with her. After 4 kids she has aches and pains, no energy, constant tension headaches, and an overall terrible attitude. (I am now seeing how that has brought me down for all these years but that's a different story).

At every chance she gets, she is on the couch taking a nap. Even if it is during the day when the kids are running around. She is openly against exercise, has been for years. My whole point is, even if you walk that whole race you are still way ahead of her because you are trying to improve yourself. You have nothing to be embarrassed about AT ALL. You should be PROUD of yourself because you are doing something VERY hard to do, change your bad habits.

If you didn't already sign up for the race I wouldn't do it now but if you paid for that 10K I would go and do my best. You MAY do well enough to improve your corral placement, which sounds like a big concern of yours.

If you're still not comfortable doing it I wouldn't stress the balloon ladies. You still have 4 months to get ready and I think you would be surprised at how much you will improve provided you stay injury-free and can workout consistantly.

Not trying to sound like I am preaching to you. But, reading your thread got me motivated and inspired because you sounded so positive. Just trying to return the favor.
I have not signed up for the 10k so I plan to just skip it. I'm just going to try to get back into my groove and get moving. I know I feel better when I do I just struggle with starting.

I'm sorry to hear about your divorce but unfortunately I can relate. My first husband was toxic and in the end I was becoming as mean as he is. It took me realizing that I did not want to raise my son in that environment to have the motivation to leave. He too was thin and literally lived on pop tarts and mt dew. Now I am in a healthy and happy relationship and am able to focus on what is best for me. After it was all said and done the only regret I have is not moving on sooner. My ex still is the same person that I left but I am totally different.

When I started this thread I was just looking for advice as I felt I was over my head. I kept posting because I was reading all these threads about heavy people being successful with exercise and feeling so much better. I thought that if I shared how I felt and all the little bumps in the road I experienced that maybe it would help motivate others. After I saw how many views my thread had I just kept going. It also helps keep me accountable to myself. I'm glad to see others going through the same stuff (well not exactly, but you know what I mean) and are overcoming and succeeding. For me, that is what this is all about. Doing something I never thought I could. Heck, I wouldn't have thought about walking 10 miles much less running them.

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #188
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about your divorce but unfortunately I can relate. My first husband was toxic and in the end I was becoming as mean as he is. Now I am in a healthy and happy relationship and am able to focus on what is best for me. After it was all said and done the only regret I have is not moving on sooner. My ex still is the same person that I left but I am totally different.

When I started this thread I was just looking for advice as I felt I was over my head. I kept posting because I was reading all these threads about heavy people being successful with exercise and feeling so much better. I thought that if I shared how I felt and all the little bumps in the road I experienced that maybe it would help motivate others. After I saw how many views my thread had I just kept going. It also helps keep me accountable to myself. I'm glad to see others going through the same stuff (well not exactly, but you know what I mean) and are overcoming and succeeding. For me, that is what this is all about. Doing something I never thought I could. Heck, I wouldn't have thought about walking 10 miles much less running them.
Thanks. I think my situation is the same as yours. I am not an overly positive person by nature but I have been making a major effort to think more positively. Since then I am seeing just how toxic she is. I mean, to tell someone, "Why bother exercising, you're just going to get fat again anyway." shows how little support she has given me over the years. The problem was, I BELIEVED everything she said about me because I thought she was my wife and loved me so she must be right. NOT!

Anyway, I am happy for your new relationship. I wonder if I will ever find someone else. But hearing stories like yours gives me hope, because I do like the idea of marriage if I can find the right person this time. It seems my judgement isn't all that good. Plus, I started another thread in the solo traveler section on this site about if women would date someone with 4 kids. I was surprised to learn that my kids would be a turn off to many women. So, it seems like it will be tough to find someone else.

But, the good news is, I finally, at the age of 40, am happy with myself and who I am. So, I am in the best place I have ever been. I still have my insecurities, but I finally believe I am worth a better life. That is why I signed up for this race. Like you, I felt over my head even though I only had 50-60 lbs to lose, compared to your 100 lbs, but I thought I was crazy. I doubted myself. If the race wasn't at Disney I might have given up by now. But, going to Disney is my reward for getting in shape. But I am so glad I didn't give up. That's what I used to do all the time. Now I might sign up for a 1/2 marathon in November. And I am already thinking of when I will be able to run my first runDisney marathon.

On a side note, I have had high blood pressure for 10+ years. I had to have it taken before my tooth was pulled and it was 124/75. This is lower than what it used to be when I was on medicine to lower it. All from 5 months of exercising and taking care of myself. My summer clothes are all WAY TO BIG NOW. I was just waiting to lose a couple more pounds before buying more because I didn't want to have to go buy another set of clothes come August when I lose another 20 lbs. Might have to buy some this weekend.

I have found so many people on the DIS boards that are much more supportive than my wife has been for years. This is why I keep coming back. So I know I am off topic here so I hope I didn't bore anyone.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #189
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...Plus, I started another thread in the solo traveler section on this site about if women would date someone with 4 kids. I was surprised to learn that my kids would be a turn off to many women. So, it seems like it will be tough to find someone else.

...My summer clothes are all WAY TO BIG NOW. I was just waiting to lose a couple more pounds before buying more because I didn't want to have to go buy another set of clothes come August when I lose another 20 lbs. Might have to buy some this weekend.
Remember that you're only getting answers from the people who read and have time to respond to your thread. You aren't getting the answers from everyone in the world. 4 kids is a relative lot, and people do worry about issues like exes and child support and things like that. But don't let that throw you. Just keep moving forward and making sure the situation with your ex and your kids is a good one with no 'issues", so that you can be as healthy as you can be in every way. (from a former kid whose parents had huge issues and whose stepparents stepped into a world full of landmines...couldn't have been much fun for them and my stepmom still believes what my silly father says, and won't listen to the other people who were involved in the situation...)

Buy new clothes! August is a LONG time away. And that 20 lbs might be a 2 size loss rather than a 1 size loss. Not sure what sort of wardrobe you need, but for me I developed a bit of a uniform that I could get at Old Navy while losing, and would just go buy the next size down. I had to be urged and coaxed and convinced and nearly thrown into the store with cash in hand, to get the first size down, but after that I realized how GOOD it feels to have clothes that fit me. Buy the clothes! Clothes that are too big are unflattering. You're looking to date. You want to look gooooood.

StayCool, cardiac fitness is a funny thing! When you've been sick or out of it, it feels like it's gone forever. Then just a few workouts in, you're back. Keep going!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #190
StayCool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Anyway, I am happy for your new relationship. I wonder if I will ever find someone else. But hearing stories like yours gives me hope, because I do like the idea of marriage if I can find the right person this time. It seems my judgement isn't all that good. Plus, I started another thread in the solo traveler section on this site about if women would date someone with 4 kids. I was surprised to learn that my kids would be a turn off to many women. So, it seems like it will be tough to find someone else.

But, the good news is, I finally, at the age of 40, am happy with myself and who I am. So, I am in the best place I have ever been. I still have my insecurities, but I finally believe I am worth a better life. That is why I signed up for this race. Like you, I felt over my head even though I only had 50-60 lbs to lose, compared to your 100 lbs, but I thought I was crazy. I doubted myself. If the race wasn't at Disney I might have given up by now. But, going to Disney is my reward for getting in shape. But I am so glad I didn't give up. That's what I used to do all the time. Now I might sign up for a 1/2 marathon in November. And I am already thinking of when I will be able to run my first runDisney marathon.
It is hard to take on someone else's kids in a relationship. I am a stepmom and my husband had 2 young kids and I had one of my own when we got together. To say that it has been a learning experience is an understatement. There have been times that I wasn't sure if our relationship would survive, but in the end (it has been 9 years now), we mostly have things worked out. How well it works will also depend on your ex also. First, learn to love yourself again. Not like. That is not enough. Once you love who you are then you will be ready to move on. Otherwise you may find yourself back in the same type of situation. My poor husband had to deal with a lot of MY growing pains because I had no self esteem when we got together and I expected the worst from him. Looking back, I can't believe that he put up with it. But I'm so glad he did.

As for it being tough to find someone else, well that will take care of itself naturally. And the fact that you have kids won't be a factor for the right person. Just be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
StayCool, cardiac fitness is a funny thing! When you've been sick or out of it, it feels like it's gone forever. Then just a few workouts in, you're back. Keep going!
I hope so. I miss how I felt already. lol I didn't work out today because I haven't been feeling well for the last couple of days. I started antibiotics yesterday and today have a low grade fever so I will likely not exercise until Sunday. I won't be just laying around though. I have plants to plant and a garage to clean out tomorrow!

A general question for anyone that cares to answer. I'm "doing" Weight Watchers. Which lately means that I am not tracking anything. I do make good choices for breakfast and lunch but it all falls apart as soon as I get home. I'm thinking about dropping WW for now and start to do "clean eating" instead. Any thoughts? The whole counting points is not working at the moment although I have done it successfully in the past. I think I need to go cold turkey and cut out all carbs and sugars that are not vegetables just to reset myself.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #191
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A general question for anyone that cares to answer. I'm "doing" Weight Watchers. Which lately means that I am not tracking anything. I do make good choices for breakfast and lunch but it all falls apart as soon as I get home. I'm thinking about dropping WW for now and start to do "clean eating" instead. Any thoughts? The whole counting points is not working at the moment although I have done it successfully in the past. I think I need to go cold turkey and cut out all carbs and sugars that are not vegetables just to reset myself.
It's not healthy to cut out entire food groups from your diet. If you feel like you really need to cut out carbs to get yourself going again, just do it for the first week as a 'reset'. If you are running, your body will need those carbs. Just try to stick to healthy wholemeal carbs. Sugar on the other hand, is definitely not required, and kudos to you if you can manage to cut it out of your diet entirely. Make sure you don't fall into the trap of forcing yourself to feel like you're missing out on 'the good stuff' and binging.

Personally I feel a diet of 'everything in moderation' is the healthiest. I've got a bit of work to do on mine at the moment, but I intend to still allow myself junk as a special occasion treat. Just cut down on the portion sizes and eat clean in between.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 05-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #192
Melany502
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It's not healthy to cut out entire food groups from your diet.
I have to disagree on this one. The poster said carbs that aren't vegetables. There are plenty of carbs in fruits and vegetables that are much better for you.

I've done paleo where I just ate meat, fruits, veggies, nuts and healthy fats. I've never felt better in my life. I didn't do it for weight loss, but that was an added benefit.

Melany502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #193
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melany502 View Post
I have to disagree on this one. The poster said carbs that aren't vegetables. There are plenty of carbs in fruits and vegetables that are much better for you.

I've done paleo where I just ate meat, fruits, veggies, nuts and healthy fats. I've never felt better in my life. I didn't do it for weight loss, but that was an added benefit.
The OP is trying to train for a 10 mile run. I stand by my comment. I'm not saying that she should load up on pasta and cake every day, but that it would probably be beneficial for her training to include small amounts of healthy carbs. But I understand that many people will disagree with me, and don't want to start an argument. Just giving my opinion which the OP can take or leave

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 05-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #194
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer

Bumbershoot- I know you are right. I know there will be someone out there for me IF I decide to get married again. My kids frustrate me because I am with them 24/7 but they really are great kids. I am sure someone would accept them into her life.

I went shopping last night. Good sales!!! I am down from a 38 waist to a 34. The shorts feel tight but I am comparing that to the 38's that fell to the ground when I undid my belt so anything would be tight compared to those. But, I wanted a little tight so in a month they will fit perfectly and most likely make it through the whole summer. It is amazing how much different you look when you find clothes that fit.

StayCool- I know you are right too. I have NEVER loved myself. I grew up around toxic family and then married my toxic wife. Very rarely did I hear anything good about myself. But, I found this book on self-esteem and in the first couple chapters I had to do this exercise called an "accurate self-assessment". It tought me how to reword my thoughts about myself. Then you have to read it twice a day for 21 days (I think it was 21) to train your brain to think differently. Ever since my whole view has changed of myself and life in general.

I have a long way to go but I am much closer than I was. In fact, as part of my continued improvement I am seriously considering running the 2016 WDW Marathon and using that as a qualifying race for the Boston Marathon. In order to qualify for Boston you need to run a marathon in a pace of 7:44 min/mi (I think that's what it is) for my age group. So, 2016 would give me time to get ready to run WDW Marathon and finish in that pace, hopefully. (Plus 2015 WDW is sold out)

Still trying to get over my fear. That will be TOUGH.

As far as your question about diet. Here is my take. Good for you on dropping WW. I don't like those diet plans because you will never be able to do it your whole life. Too many people use them to lose the weight and then they put it back on when they stop because they didn't learn the tools to eat healthy without the guide to follow. I'm guessing that is not your goal.

If you like to read I HIGHLY recommend a book called Ultrametabolism, by Dr. Mark Hyman. You will learn how food impacts your blood sugar and eating habits. For the quick answer, I say find out what your daily calorie intake needs to be to reach your goals. I use an APP called "Lose It". Assuming you have a smart phone, I would try it. You can put all your goals in and it will tell you what your calories should be. Then you enter your food as you consume it. Its not as time consuming as you think because you can just scan the bar codes of the stuff you eat and you just put how much you eat in.

If you eat lean protiens (chicken and turkey), fresh fruits and veggies, have brown rice instead of white rice, stay away from high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils, and limit your sugar you will see the pounds melt away.

The Lose It app will breakdown your ratios of fat/carbs/protien as well as tell you how much sugar and salt you are consuming. All helpful info.

Protiens and foods high in fiber (fresh fruits and veggies) keep you full longer so you have less cravings.

This type of "diet" is what has me down 25 lbs in 5 1/2 months. And now that I am used to it, it is easy and I have no desire to eat junk anymore. I'll have an occassional cookie or chip but when you see that three cookies are 200 calories compared to a huge bowl of strawberries is 100-150 you can see why it is so easy to put on weight with bad habits.

Hope that helps. Happy to help more if you aren't bored yet.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #195
StayCool
DIS Veteran

I didn't think about how it would effect my training in the long run. I was only thinking of how I feel right now, which is pretty crappy. I am a carb addict. Lately I have been eating way too many sweets. I just need to cut them out. Period. I do not have the self control needed to have them in my house and not eat them. I agree that I will likely not be able to get through all the training for the 10 miler without any carbs. Maybe I will just focus on 2 weeks with no sweets at all and see how it goes. I just know I need to change something, but I'm not sure where to start.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: