Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #61
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
AKL has the finest group of table service restaurants of any Deluxe, doesn't share bus service with another Deluxe, and has the best views on property. If you want to think that's Deluxe lite, fine.
Agreed. AKL is Deluxe without question. Just walk the resort and you won't question this is a WDW deluxe category resort. If you stay here you'll go to bed with a view of those savannah animals, and then wake up to them also. It's just plain magical. My wife's favorite is Poly Club Level, and her second favorite is AKL Savannah View.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #62
Networth
DIS Veteran

I have never heard of bargaining for a rate either. I also and quite interested on how you got this.

Next Trip: 12/12/14-12/20/14 Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #63
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networth View Post
I was reading some responses about how Disney only caters to the wealthy. Which they don't, they cater to anyone willing to pay like any other business in this country.

It's called capitalism, you pay more you get more. Ever flown? First Class, Business Class Economy Plus, Economy. I hate when people complain about what "others" get. Sure complain the price set by the company is expensive That's your right. But don't complain because someone has and is choosing to pay those prices. That's their right. I think pricing has become over the top too, but I don't begrudge those who choose to pay those crazy rack rates is my point.

I remember when the CR was $120 a night and their was no extra for a theme park view. Yet Disney has seen people are willing to pay more over the decades, and pay an extra premium for views. Stinks but so be it.

When someone rents DVC points is the reservation under the owners name? I'm just wondering how things like room charging etc works.
I agree. I've paid rack rate in the past. So what. I can afford it, I'm not taking anything away from someone else. Granted, if there is a promotion I take advantage of it( I saved some money on our AKL stay this April) but I'm not going to go nuts looking for one.

I save money in other parts of my life, I don't need to pinch every vacation penny until it begs for mercy. That is not fun in my eyes.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #64
Redarrow5150
DIS Veteran

Value is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't begrudge the prices WDW charges or what people are willing to pay afterall it's based upon demand. I don't understand why anyone wants to pay those rates when I personally would rather be at the parks. Then again if someone is staying two weeks at WDW then I totally understand the value of staying at the higher end resorts since I wouldn't spend just about everyday at the park. Heck my wife is content at staying at the poolside in warm weather than going to the parks. I don't get that cause you can do that ANYWHERE but hey that's her.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #65
MinnieIV
Disney <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
That would be for a club level room. Basic rooms start at just over $400. Let's not make the cost seem higher than they really are.
I didn't look deeper into the reservation, saw the price tag initially, and just skipped over it to look at AKL, but when I went back to check when I went to make the post (It was on orbitz where I saw the price) they had no availability to confirm what room I had seen. My apologies. Although, if I could afford it I would gladly pay whatever price is due, although I do like to find bargains!

Me: DBF:

Last edited by MinnieIV; 02-16-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #66
paxsarah

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwibih View Post
Can you explain what RCI is? Is that DVC resale or rental or both?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
RCI is a timeshare network. If you own at an RCI resort you are allowed to trade into a DVC resort for a stay. You are not allowed to trade your RCI into a DVC stay and then sell/rent that stay to someone else. If RCI or DVC finds out they will cancel the reservation. And if you're the one who rented, you are SOL and out $$$$.
Right. We own Wyndham timeshare points, which trades in RCI as does DVC. We're able to deposit some of our points for an exchange into another timeshare/system, and if we're lucky we can get a DVC exchange for a week that works for us. It's definitely not a guarantee but we've been able to do it twice now. I know that companies renting DVC units they acquired through RCI exchanges is a problem, but in our situation it's our points and we're using the stay so it's all good.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #67
tim123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
That would be for a club level room. Basic rooms start at just over $400. Let's not make the cost seem higher than they really are.
Maxi
$437 plus tax! would be for a view of the parking lot at the garden wing...
In my thread I was talking about the Tower MK view. If you look at their site for the entire year the cheapest MK view in the tower is September 17th at $516 PLUS tax! From there for the entire year the basic MK view rate is close to $700 and UP!!! Thats what I'm talking about. Outragious! The whole chart for the year goes between high 500s to something like 900! Not to take away from your point...yes you can get a high 300s in mid september rack rate to look at the parking lot...Also it does indeed realy help to go low season, book ahead, use military discount, pins DVC where aplicable...but for the average Joe whos not a disney expert....they are out of luck for the MK Contemp view unless they are loaded!
Tim
Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #68
tim123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
I'm getting the Poly in late August through a travel agency offering a super promotion - less than $200 a night before tax!! They offer a few other resorts as well.
Sorry I do not mean to be rude..BUT I simply DO NOT Belive you! You would have to prove that to me.
See new thread I started about your claim.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #69
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim123 View Post
Just putzing around on disneysite dreaming about being there and staying in the original hotels….I mean does anybody else think they are just completely insane with the pricing? The Polynesian is like $600 plus a nite for a standard room…The Contemporary insanely priced out at $700 and this is for the SLOW season times at the end of this month or in May! When you go to take advantage of the special sale offer that says to book by March 31 and look for the Contempt guess what SOLD OUT! Oh you can get a Poly room with a club level view of the construction for get this almost $800 a night. Jeez!
I think I was pretty smart to book my pin offer the day I got it in the email even though I have no idea that I will be able to go in September..just booked it and winged the dates split stay 3 nights Poly, WL, Contemp….
Poly $278!!!! before tax ($313)…Contemp $335 pre tax ($377) MK Tower view!
and the Lodge $247….
After checking what they normally get..I definitely gotta go in September now that I have it reserved. Never gonna see those prices again. I wonder if the Poly is $278 because there won't be a main pool, everything east will be crazy construction and the lobby will be torn apart? Eh who cares no way I will ever pay $800 to sleep and relive my childhood. Whatya think folks?
Totally agree! We have bern fortunate to stay at every Deluxe resort we had an interest in staying at. But we go in value season, and I'll only stay Deluxe with a good discount!! I'd never pay rack rate. If the discount isn't good enough, I'm happy staying at POR! But that's me.
We are looking forward to 2 weeks at a Poly in August.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Old 02-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #70
tim123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
I'm getting the Poly in late August through a travel agency offering a super promotion - less than $200 a night before tax!! They offer a few other resorts as well.
I stand corrected. You must forgive my initial scepticism! Now its because of you that I may see you in August. For that rate at the Poly I'll ignore the construction and swim in the fountain instead! Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #71
tlady
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
I agree with you. The prices of Disney resorts are outrageous. The resorts themselves are "ok" but certainly not worth the prices they are getting for them. You are mostly paying for location, staying onsite and the very expensive "monorail hotels" are priced outrageously. Look at it this way, it is supply and demand and Disney would not be asking these prices, if they weren't getting people to pay these insane prices.
The prices are getting very outrageous in comparison for what you get. Have stayed only at deluxe resorts, but Disney's definition of "deluxe" doesn't measure up to true deluxe hotels elsewhere.

And people saying they never pay "rack rate". Well, that's because the whole concept of a Disney "rack rate" is something of a misnomer. There are so many discounts available, that there truly isn't a genuine "rack rate". Yes, Disney posts a non-discounted rate for a room, but not many people are ever forced to pay that. So, any kind of a break from that published rate seems like a real deal to the average peerson, when in reality it's not.

Same concept as shopping at a store like Kohl's, which always posts suggested merchandise prices and then the Kohl's price. But, if they seldom or never sell the clothing at the suggested merchandise price, then you aren't getting any discount at all. You are merely falling for their marketing strategy.

Same thing applies to Disney resort rates.

Within the past year or so, the Disney resort rates (particularly the deluxe ones) have skyrocketed. To the point that we can no longer justify paying such absurd prices. They only become halfway decent if you go during a time when a 30% deluxe room discount would apply. Even with the discount, the price is still steep and getting steeper all the time.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #72
MichellelovesMickey
Mouseketeer

Wish there was something for Thanksgiving

ASM-11/2001, WDW-12/2006, ASM-9/2007, POP -9/2008, WL-12/2010, POFQ/WL/BC-12/2011, POFQ-5/2012, BC/Poly/POR 6/2013, CR 1/2014, CR 11/2014, BC 12/2014......more to come

Disney Wonder-12/2010, Disney Dream-12/2011, Disney Dream-6/2013, Disney Magic-1/2014, Disney Dream 11/2014, Disney Fantasy-12/2014.......more to come
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #73
DeeCeeSW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichellelovesMickey View Post
Wish there was something for Thanksgiving
There just may be something soon. It is only February. I do recall seeing a special last Thanksgiving and Christmas. Just keep checking the site.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #74
lisamarch
Mouseketeer

I have a Disney visa and don't know about benefits on resort rooms. I looked on the Chase Disney website and don't see that. Details, please?

WDW Jan 1993 (day trip)
WDW Nov 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
WDW Nov 2010 - CBR
DCL - Disney Magic Nov-Dec 2010
WDW January 2012 - All Star Movies
DL June 2013
WDW May-June 2014 - Boardwalk Inn
Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #75
cyberbox2
DIS Veteran

Through taking part in these boards over the years, I have found that renting DVC points is the best way to go when wanting a deluxe resort stay at a value price. We have done this twice in the past at AKL and BWV.

This May when we return from our Disney Dream cruise, we will be staying at Wilderness Lodge for 5 nights at a cost of $165 a night by renting DVC points. In my mind, you just can't beat the price when compared to other discounts and especially the rack rate.

Thank you DisBoards for the education

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: