Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #46
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofanarchy View Post
There are plenty of upper class citizens who can afford it, sure. Is that what WDW is going to cater to from now on, just the wealthy? If so, they can have it.
Deluxes are for the rich, those who are very fugal and saved the money or those who will run up the CC to pay for what they want. Any of the three will pay and Disney is willing to take their money.

Disney has mods and lots of value rooms. The non-upper class/wealthy can afford these. There is also off-site.

You really love to jump to conclusion.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #47
horse11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchester View Post
Try bargaining with them on the phone. Last year when the Polynesian Resort was around $400/night I made a budget of $150, and they gave me a price of $220/night and I payed that. Also I got Gran Floridian for $160/night on labor day but that probably won't happen unless its so low capacity.
How in the heck did you do that!!! I did not even know that was possible. Can you make reservations for me?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #48
mommaodie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networth View Post
I was reading some responses about how Disney only caters to the wealthy. Which they don't, they cater to anyone willing to pay like any other business in this country.

It's called capitalism, you pay more you get more. Ever flown? First Class, Business Class Economy Plus, Economy. I hate when people complain about what "others" get. Sure complain the price set by the company is expensive That's your right. But don't complain because someone has and is choosing to pay those prices. That's their right. I think pricing has become over the top too, but I don't begrudge those who choose to pay those crazy rack rates is my point.

I remember when the CR was $120 a night and their was no extra for a theme park view. Yet Disney has seen people are willing to pay more over the decades, and pay an extra premium for views. Stinks but so be it.

When someone rents DVC points is the reservation under the owners name? I'm just wondering how things like room charging etc works.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #49
MinnieIV
Disney <3

I was looking at hotel prices last week (for fun, we booked POR) and contemporary was over a grand a night for our dates in mid may.

Me: DBF:

Old 02-16-2014, 01:05 AM   #50
lemondog
My twins fight over who tooted
I always have the itch!

I agree, rack rate is insane. As a family of 6 we are priced out of almost everything remotely affordable. We have always stayed at the Poly thanks to great offers in the past or employee friends discounts, but once our 2yo turns 3 we won't even be able to stay there.

Luckily we have recently discovered the beauty of renting DVC points. DH and I are taking the 2yo to MK - 4 nights in a lake view studio in BLT. Rack rate is $2115 for all 4 nights, but we are only paying $1008 by renting points - literally half the price! We will look at renting points again the next time the whole family comes with us.

DD1 (13), DD2 (10), DD3 (10) DD4 (2)

I've been pickled! Thanks illuminati!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #51
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieIV View Post
I was looking at hotel prices last week (for fun, we booked POR) and contemporary was over a grand a night for our dates in mid may.
That would be for a club level room. Basic rooms start at just over $400. Let's not make the cost seem higher than they really are.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #52
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
Deluxes are for the rich, those who are very fugal and saved the money or those who will run up the CC to pay for what they want. Any of the three will pay and Disney is willing to take their money.

Disney has mods and lots of value rooms. The non-upper class/wealthy can afford these. There is also off-site.

You really love to jump to conclusion.
This is not directed at you, as I see what you are doing here.

But, our last two stays (and upcoming stay in August) have all been 10 nights club level at deluxe.

We are not rich (we make good money, but are squarely middle class).

We might be a bit frugal in our everyday lives, but not overly....but we don't overextend ourselves either. We have a nice, comfortable house, with a comfortable mortgage. We have comfortable car payments. We definitely live within our means so that we can splurge on what's important -- annual vacations!!! We have zero credit card debt.

What we do have is a great discount (40% off military--but 35% is often available to GP). We also book our vacations as soon as the old one ends, and we start making monthly payments by just working it into our budget. Yes, we always have a Disney payment in our budget line. (I'm still paying off for 2014, but have already started making payments on 2015!) The trip is PIF, in cash, a couple of months before the trip. It's wonderful!!! In 2012, we paid $249/night for WL CL. 2013 was $338/night for YC CL, and this year is $365/night for GF CL!!! Very reasonable IMHO.

I just want to point out that with a good strategy, you can make it work for you if you want it. It just takes planning and commitment to a goal.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #53
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Two points:

1) only a fool pays rack rate, and
I agree with both of these. I just stayed at AKL last month, in a savannah view room and ended up paying less than $300 a night. Work the system.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Old 02-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #54
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieIV View Post
That must have been for a suite. According to the rates on mousesavers, rates start at $436 (if available).

http://www.mousesavers.com/2014-cont...-season-dates/
Old 02-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #55
Imhere
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
I agree with both of these. I just stayed at AKL last month, in a savannah view room and ended up paying less than $300 a night. Work the system.
Yeah, but AKL isn't really a Deluxe. Like WL, it's a Deluxe "Lite"
Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #56
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere View Post
Yeah, but AKL isn't really a Deluxe. Like WL, it's a Deluxe "Lite"
AKL has the finest group of table service restaurants of any Deluxe, doesn't share bus service with another Deluxe, and has the best views on property. If you want to think that's Deluxe lite, fine.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Old 02-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #57
Imhere
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
AKL has the finest group of table service restaurants of any Deluxe, doesn't share bus service with another Deluxe, and has the best views on property. If you want to think that's Deluxe lite, fine.
The price point of AKL & WL is not equal to the other "deluxes". That is a fact.

Views and restaurant quality are opinions.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #58
jtwibih
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxsarah View Post
With RCI we'll be staying in a BLT 2 bedroom for just under $1000 for the week (including our MFs, exchange fee, and Disney's added fee). Still twice what you're paying, but it's worth it to get both "magic" and space. However, with our family, if we have to make a tradeoff between magic and space, we pretty much always choose the space of a timeshare over a magical standard hotel room.
Can you explain what RCI is? Is that DVC resale or rental or both?

Past: Apr 2014 - DCL; Nov 2013 - BWV/AKV; Apr 2013 - DLH; Nov 2012 - AKV; Nov 2011 - WL; Nov 2010 - WL; May 2010 - CSR; Jun 2009 - AKL; Apr 2008 - AKL/WL; Jul 2007 - SS; Aug 2006 - POFQ; Aug 2005 - POFQ; Aug 2004 - offsite
Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #59
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwibih

Can you explain what RCI is? Is that DVC resale or rental or both?
RCI is a timeshare network. If you own at an RCI resort you are allowed to trade into a DVC resort for a stay. You are not allowed to trade your RCI into a DVC stay and then sell/rent that stay to someone else. If RCI or DVC finds out they will cancel the reservation. And if you're the one who rented, you are SOL and out $$$$.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #60
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchester View Post
Try bargaining with them on the phone. Last year when the Polynesian Resort was around $400/night I made a budget of $150, and they gave me a price of $220/night and I payed that. Also I got Gran Floridian for $160/night on labor day but that probably won't happen unless its so low capacity.
You know, I have been at these boards for a long time, and I have never heard of anyone trying to bargain with a CM at the reservation center with success. Did you have a pin code attached to your account that you didn't know about? If you didn't, I'm glad to find out that Disney allows their reservation center CM's strike deals.

Thanks for the info.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: