Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Would you go to a Villains Dining experience?

I was trolling this forum looking for news about some new dining experiences, as I thought I saw something online about a Disney Fairies character dining experience (which I'm guessing would be too good to be true!), but I haven't seen anything. This led me to think about other dining experiences and whether or not they would be successful. How many folks would be interested in attending a villains dining reservation? I can see this one being very successful--especially if it was set in a dark and dangerous restaurant--a dark castle, a dungeon, a cave beneath a mountain or perhaps even something sinister like the Haunted Mansion. Or how about Star Wars or Marvel character dining?
mom2pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Then again, can Disney even have Marvel characters in the parks, like they do on the cruise line?
mom2pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
jenwillis212
Earning My Ears

What I wouldn't give to do a Villains dining experience. I think that is a fabulous idea. I was really disappointed when we were in Disney a couple of years ago and went to the villains shop. They really didn't have a whole lot, especially in the clothing department. Don't know if that has changed. My favorite is Maleficient!!!
jenwillis212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
ginamarie716
Poor Unfortunate Soul

I am all for this idea!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

Nope, you couldn't pay me to go to such a dining experience.

One of the reasons I like Disney is it's a happy place. I get that villains are a necessary evil (pun intended) to a good storyline, but in my opinion, that's where they should stay. There's plenty of villains on the news every night, so when I step into a Disney park, I'm happy to see happy, smiling faces on their characters. I want that temporary break from all the villainy, a time to pretend that everything is right in the world and that good prevails over evil. I don't want to celebrate the villains.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

I'd be all for it.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
Eoghann
Earning My Ears

By all accounts that Villains night thing they did was a huge success so I imagine similarly themed dining would be a hit too. They might want to keep it as a special rather than all the time mind you.

For some reason I find the prices for themed dining easier to handle than the regular food prices at Disney. Yes they are expensive, but at least with then I can point to something distinctive I'm getting that I wouldn't be getting elsewhere.

Unfortunately as far as Marvel is concerned the characters cannot appear in the parks at WDW so long as Universal has that license. No themed dining for them.
Eoghann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
dalayney
Mouseketeer

Let's go bigger!

Actually.... (and I have put a lot of thought into this... ha ha) if they ever open a 5th park to Disneyworld? It should be an "all villain" park with the main focus being "thrill rides/roller coasters" . Take the top 4 disney villians of all time (that could be a whole other thread, lol) ... and make them into some awesome wicked roller coasters. Oh yes! Make another 4 more calmer rides for the whole family. Have 2 different sit down table service restaurants, 3 or 4 different counter service ones. Throw in a kick butt broadway style show, 2 meet and greets, some interactive $50 ticket/per child hour long "how to be an evil villain" party.... throw in at least 3 large souvy/trinket shops... and booya. Success and $$$ and happy Disney lovers that can get their thrills right on property w/out having to go over to Islands of Adventure. I think if it was themed right, it would be such fun and the teens/adults would eat this up.

January 2005 offsite
January 2007 ALL STAR MOVIES
Febuary/March 2013 ALL STAR SPORTS
Planning our first ever "no kids" WDW trip December 2015~
dalayney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #9
JasNicMadAl
Earning My Ears

What's stopping them from doing a Marvel Character Dining at one of the resorts similar to how they did the monorail advertising?

I would so go to a Villians dining experience as well as a Star Wars one, Indy Jones, Toy Story, Pirates of Carribean, etc. My 'princesses' have moved onto be teenager & we normally only do Tusker House breakfast.
JasNicMadAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
super mike b
DIS Veteran

We would do this in a heartbeat! We did the "Room For One More" event a few years back and had a great time.
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #11
Tardisblue
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenwillis212 View Post
What I wouldn't give to do a Villains dining experience. I think that is a fabulous idea. I was really disappointed when we were in Disney a couple of years ago and went to the villains shop. They really didn't have a whole lot, especially in the clothing department. Don't know if that has changed. My favorite is Maleficient!!!
The Villains shop at DHS is a joke. Usually filled with just Jack Skellington gear, who is a great character but come on! Maleficent? Ursula? Dr. Facilier? Jafar? There are plenty more and it would sell like crazy.

As to the original question, yes -I think it would be a unique experience.
July 1973 - Contemporary; March 1983 - Offsite; November 1995 - Wilderness Lodge; June 2002 - Offsite; Sept 2009 - Offsite; August 2011 - Offsite; August 2012 - Offsite; May 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; August 2013 - Offsite; January 2014 - All Star Movies; May 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter

Disneyland
2001 - Offsite

Tardisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 AM   #12
Napria
It really *is* the Happiest Place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Giggleface View Post
Nope, you couldn't pay me to go to such a dining experience.

One of the reasons I like Disney is it's a happy place. I get that villains are a necessary evil (pun intended) to a good storyline, but in my opinion, that's where they should stay. There's plenty of villains on the news every night, so when I step into a Disney park, I'm happy to see happy, smiling faces on their characters. I want that temporary break from all the villainy, a time to pretend that everything is right in the world and that good prevails over evil. I don't want to celebrate the villains.
You said it better than I could. I feel exactly the same way.

Ft. Wilderness April 2015 Polynesian July 2013 Ft. Wilderness May 2012 Off property March 2012 Ft. Wilderness June 2011 Ft. Wilderness June 2009 Ocala Camping April 2008 Ft. Wilderness January 2007 Tropical Palms RV Resort December 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge & Beach Club Villas December 2003 Wilderness Lodge Villas December 2002 Boardwalk Villas December 2001 Ft. Wilderness February 1981
Napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 AM   #13
BigBlueWho
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalayney
Let's go bigger!

Actually.... (and I have put a lot of thought into this... ha ha) if they ever open a 5th park to Disneyworld? It should be an "all villain" park with the main focus being "thrill rides/roller coasters" . Take the top 4 disney villians of all time (that could be a whole other thread, lol) ... and make them into some awesome wicked roller coasters. Oh yes! Make another 4 more calmer rides for the whole family. Have 2 different sit down table service restaurants, 3 or 4 different counter service ones. Throw in a kick butt broadway style show, 2 meet and greets, some interactive $50 ticket/per child hour long "how to be an evil villain" party.... throw in at least 3 large souvy/trinket shops... and booya. Success and $$$ and happy Disney lovers that can get their thrills right on property w/out having to go over to Islands of Adventure. I think if it was themed right, it would be such fun and the teens/adults would eat this up.
Lol you just gave them their next idea! ...coming in 2018!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:23 AM   #14
Lolsmum
Mouseketeer

We'd definitely do a villains meal.

And if they could manage a Marvel meal in one of the resorts that would be so awesome.
Lolsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #15
Eoghann
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasNicMadAl View Post
What's stopping them from doing a Marvel Character Dining at one of the resorts similar to how they did the monorail advertising?
I think it's a very very fine line that Disney has to walk when it comes to Marvel and WDW. Comcast has as many lawyers as Disney does and that master licensing agreement supposedly says something like:

Only Universal had the rights to use these Marvel characters in a theme park setting within a 250 mile radius of Universal's Islands of Adventure.

So how do you define a "theme park setting"? From what I have seen reported even that monorail wrap required negotiating with Universal. A dining experience or actually having the characters would be much more direct competition with Universal.
Eoghann is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: