Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
travln1234
Earning My Ears

First DCL Cruise, Tell Me What Not To Miss!

Hi all, my family is going on our first DCL cruise this summer. We've cruised previously (Western Caribbean, Scandinavia/Russia, and twice to Alaska), but the thrill of being on Disney is too exciting! So, what's not to miss on the ship (Wonder, to Alaska). What's your favorite thing to do on board? Best advice for a nearly 8 year old passenger - her first cruise? Thank you!

Last edited by travln1234; 02-10-2014 at 09:29 PM.
travln1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by travln1234 View Post
Hi all, my family is going on our first DCL cruise this summer. We've cruised previously, but the thrill of being on Disney is too exciting! So, what's not to miss on the ship (Wonder, to Alaska). What's your favorite thing to do on board? Best advice for a nearly 8 year old passenger? Thank you!
So many wonderful things to do and see onboard, you can't get to them all. You will have a great time no matter what.

For the 8yo, the kids clubs, of course. The best at sea, hands down. S/he will do many exciting things. You should tour the clubs the first day to see what's there.

As for you, well...here's my advice: interact with ALL the cast members. Not just your servers; talk to your room steward, to the bartenders, the bathroom attendants, the guys cleaning the deck, shop attendants, servers behind the buffet, the hosts outside the theater.....we have found them universally to be warm, friendly folks who love to tell you about themselves and their jobs on the ship. You'll get wonderful insights into your ship and crew life, some stories from people who live around the world, and you'll really feel like you had a rewarding cruise. This won't take much time out of your cruise, and will enhance it immeasurably. A smile and a sincere thanks goes a long way.

Then of course the shows. Ah, the shows!
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
momm2four
We all have those little "skeletons" in our closets, don't we?

I would advise you to make sure you take time to relax. My favorite thing was to sit by the family pool, watch/listen to the movies playing on the JumboTron, drink my Diet Coke, read and nap. (Not having small children to keep an eye on made it doubly relaxing)

Also loved playing the Trivia games.

Lori P.

WDW Oct. '02 HIFS DCL Wonder Oct '05 WDW Oct. 05 PORDCL Magic Oct '08WDW Oct. 08 Nick HotelUniversal Bonnet Creek Resort '10WDW/Universal Bonnet Creek Resort '12DCL Fantasy June '12
momm2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
southerngirl528
Mouseketeer

I LOVE the Wonder, and our family LOVED the Alaskan cruise on the Wonder last summer!! That cruise is truly amazing. I say it is like cruising through postcards. Simply too magnificent and lovely for words.

It stays light out quite late, and for me, being on either the Promenade deck or the top decks for watching the scenery glide by was breathtaking. Tracy Arm was unreal! You feel like you can reach out from the railings and touch the mountains they are so close to you in the fjord. Waterfalls, seals, a glimpse at bears perhaps….. they do an outdoor BBQ while you're in Tracy Arm that is fun to enjoy.

As said, the shows onboard a Disney Cruise are not to be missed, particularly the theatrical productions. They had a guy onboard that did various talks scheduled though out the cruise on Alaska and it's wildlife that were very interesting as well.

Said before, but kids programming is a blast. Vancouver is a gorgeous city ( but I thought the port was a little hectic. get there a little early if you can) You are going to have SO much fun!!
southerngirl528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
Club Disney Chandler
Mouseketeer

Make sure you play "The Quest", it's a scavenger hunt but you stay in the same room the entire time. It's so much fun and very family friendly. But most importantly, relax and have fun. You're going to love it!
WDW: October 2007-Doubletree Suites, October 2009-All Star Music, October 2011-Contemporary, DCL, Pop Century, June 2013-Beach Club, DCL, Polynesian, 2014-Art of Animation, DCL, 2015-DCL, Art of Animation
DL: Way too many to count
Club Disney Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Palo Brunch ! Best meal on the ship !

Be sure to go very early to autograph sessions. Lines get very long !

Have a wonderful cruise !!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
travln1234
Earning My Ears

Thank you all very much! Hmmmm...hadn't heard of this Quest scavenger hunt. Sounds perfectly wonderful! (And NO, no pun actually intended! lol)
travln1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
Spunkyminky
Mouseketeer

We just got off the Wonder 5 night Western Caribbean cruise on Friday. It was our first cruise on Disney and we enjoyed quite a bit.
5 days felt like it was too short and sometimes, I was so busy with different schedule, I felt rushed. In fact, I had purchased an one day rainforest spa and didn't even have time to use it.

I did both brunch and dinner at Palo and I think brunch was much better.
Dinner was like a 3 hour ordeal and I had to rush through my main course so I can take my son to watch the Golden Mickey. Didn't even get to enjoy it because the dinner experience took so long.
If I can do it all over, I think I would just stick with brunch.
Having things scheduled ahead of time made things too busy in your already busy sea day.
We had a private Mixology class too, so I had to rush my son at lunch so I can drop him off at the Oceaneers Lab and head over to Mixology. Again, kind of stressed out with busy schedule.
Spunkyminky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: