Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
ppmcoj
Mouseketeer

Any Disney cruises that sail to Hawaii?

We're in the very beginning stages of planning for our first cruise and trying to figure out where to go, when, and all of that. I looked on Disney's site and didn't see any possible cruise options that go to Hawaii, but after searching the forums, see that some have gone. Is there another website or has Disney eliminated Hawaii as a destination?
ppmcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmcoj View Post
We're in the very beginning stages of planning for our first cruise and trying to figure out where to go, when, and all of that. I looked on Disney's site and didn't see any possible cruise options that go to Hawaii, but after searching the forums, see that some have gone. Is there another website or has Disney eliminated Hawaii as a destination?
There's some talk that DCL will go back to Hawaii in fall of 2015. We're waiting for the official announcement (hopefully sometime in the next month) to either validate or debunk the rumors.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

A first DCL cruise or a first cruise altogether? Big difference as I'm not sure if I would do a 14n for my first cruise. DCL does not do one way cruises other than their repositioning ones.

Try to plan for a 7n or even a 4n instead. My 0.02...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
ppmcoj
Mouseketeer

It would be our first cruise ever. So the hawaii circuit is a 14 day cruise? That would probably be too long even if it weren't our first one due to work obligations and our almost 4 yr old. I just searched through the Alaska itinerary and it looks nice. Lots to read to sort through the Caribbean option and maybe Alaska!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Disney originally had one Hawaii cruise set in May 2012. That was the year that many cruiselines were eliminating/cutting back on their Mexico cruises on the west coast due to violence issues in the ports. DCL had Mexico planned for after the Alaska season that year, but cut those cruises back and added an additional Hawaii cruise in Oct.

To date those have been the only Hawaii cruises that DCL has done. There are rumors that there will be one in Sep of 2015, but it's unconfirmed at this time.

We did a 15 night cruise as our first cruise. Not first DCL cruise, first ever cruise.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Jones Act makes Hawaii unattractive to cruise lines

Quote:
It would be our first cruise ever. So the hawaii circuit is a 14 day cruise? That would probably be too long even if it weren't our first one due to work obligations and our almost 4 yr old. I just searched through the Alaska itinerary and it looks nice. Lots to read to sort through the Caribbean option and maybe Alaska!
The Jones Act requires cruises to visit at least one foreign port to avoid US labor laws. The Caribbean and Alaska have easy access to at least one foreign port. Hawaii does not have easy access to a foreign port, so cruise options are limited.

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
The Jones Act requires cruises to visit at least one foreign port to avoid US labor laws. The Caribbean and Alaska have easy access to at least one foreign port. Hawaii does not have easy access to a foreign port, so cruise options are limited.

-Paul
It's not the Jones Act (that relates to transportation of cargo). It's the Passenger Vessel Services Act (transportation of passengers). Basically they say the same thing, just differs on who/what it is applied to.

The PVSA requires foreign-flagged ships that transport passengers between two different US ports to stop at a "distant" foreign port. That would be any port not in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao).

Closed loop cruises can stop at any foreign port (near or distant).

Most Hawaii cruises either start/end in Vancouver or Ensenada. A cruise from a foreign port to a US port only requires any foreign port stop. A round-trip Hawaii cruise out of LA/San Diego can stop at Ensenada to conform with the law.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Alaska, Caribbean and Bahamas are great options for your families first cruise. If you speak with a travel agent who specializes in Disney, they can email you an ebrochure with lots of good info, hook you up with shipboard credits, and provide lots of assistance.
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
ppmcoj
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful info!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: