Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
agame2323
DIS Veteran

Families of 12+... where do you stay?

I've only stayed onsite one time, which was years ago, so I don't know if Disney can accommodate parties of that size. I mean... I'm sure they can but would there be a better alternative? Is staying onsite with that many people a wise decision or should we just look for an offsite resort?

Also, the addition of FP+ is making this decision even more difficult.
agame2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

On-site, your choices are really just the biggest "grand villas" which are pricey, or getting multiple regular resort rooms.

Off-site will almost certainly be cheaper and give you more space for your money, especially with that many people.
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

We have stayed in a Grand Villa at AKL (there was 11 of us on that vacation but I think the Grand Villa slept 13). We have also done combinations of 2 bedroom/studio villas at SSR, OKV, and BCV. We have also went and stayed with 5 hotel rooms at Beach Club. Another time we went and stayed 7 hotel rooms at POFQ.

It is going to depend on everyone's budget and how you want to vacation. If the cost is your primary concern, you will find more options offsite with a house rental.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by agame2323 View Post
I've only stayed onsite one time, which was years ago, so I don't know if Disney can accommodate parties of that size. I mean... I'm sure they can but would there be a better alternative? Is staying onsite with that many people a wise decision or should we just look for an offsite resort?

Also, the addition of FP+ is making this decision even more difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
We have stayed in a Grand Villa at AKL (there was 11 of us on that vacation but I think the Grand Villa slept 13). We have also done combinations of 2 bedroom/studio villas at SSR, OKV, and BCV. We have also went and stayed with 5 hotel rooms at Beach Club. Another time we went and stayed 7 hotel rooms at POFQ.

It is going to depend on everyone's budget and how you want to vacation. If the cost is your primary concern, you will find more options offsite with a house rental.
Grand villas only sleep 12 plus one under the age of three. Not thirteen. They may offer thirteen sleeping spaces, but only to make it more convenient for sleeping. And you'll probably need to be a DVC member to book those.

With a large group, unless it is just two adults and ten or more kids, it is probably easier to just get individual rooms and ask for them to be close to each other.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
cheryllarsen
Mouseketeer

We just stayed in a 2 bedroom and enjoyed it very much. Two of the villas, perhaps a studio and a 2 bed would accomadate your party if you could get them adjoining.
cheryllarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
amytech
Mouseketeer

There are always 7 of us when we go and we have done several things over the years.
First time we did All Star Movies with three rooms with oldish kids staying in one, me, dh and dd in another and my mom in her own. 3 bathrooms was REALLY nice!

We have mostly stayed off site in houses for the past few years which gave us lots of room, a private pool and the ability to cook which is a huge money saver but not the same sort of vacation at all as staying onsite.

This coming year we are staying onsite at YC with 2 rooms. Since we don't need to rent a large car/van, it actually wasn't that much more with ds' CM discount and more of a vacation for me (the mom) who does the cooking and shopping at the offsite houses.

If you can swing it, I would try staying onsite with several rooms.
'05 All Star Music,
'07-'12 offsite trips,
May '13-POFQ, Aug. '13 BC
May '14- BC

Last edited by amytech; 02-10-2014 at 08:21 PM.
amytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
KateDrake
DIS Veteran

We like staying on-property with a group that large, simply because it makes it easier for everyone to come and go as they please. Teens want to sleep in? They can catch a bus later. We want to head back for a nap with the toddlers? No problem. Staying off site, I feel like making sure everyone has a ride becomes much more of an issue.

The other thing I really like about multiple hotel rooms (on-site and off-site), is that it gives you a break from your family! We've just got the four of us (and haven't been yet with DD 4 months), so we are used to just being a couple and one small child. When we go in a large group, it is with my family or in-laws, and it is nice for everyone to have their own room at the end of the day. Grandma and Grandpa love hanging out with the kids all day, but having a separate room gives them a little down time so they are ready to see them all again the next day!

Off site will certainly save you money, and a house is great for meals, etc. The one drawback at staying onsite is that you are kind of limited by the lowest budget in the family. You can stay at different resorts, but we've always stuck together since the whole point is to spend time as a family. I don't mind staying at a Value if that's what everyone else can afford, but my sister-in-law did complain last time that POP was the worst hotel she's ever stayed at. Clearly she never traveled through Europe in college!
KateDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: