Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
AmyAnne
Mouseketeer

10 day non-expiring ticket - is this my best option for multiple short stays?

For the next few years, I am pretty certain that our WDW plans will include 1 or 2 trips a year for 2 or 3 park days per trip. I am running the numbers to figure out our best park ticket options. The annual pass and length-of-stay tickets both would be more expensive per day than the 10 day non-expiring ticket - I think, but please correct me if wrong. Also, any other options I am overlooking?

Edited to add - Oops, I meant to post this in the Budget forum . . .
AmyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The annual pass and length-of-stay tickets both would be more expensive per day than the 10 day non-expiring ticket
It's all about the math! Of course, remember that prices WILL go up every single year. And the biggest part of the price of tickets is in that first 3 days.

Just plan out your trips, find out the math (Cheshire's "ticket sticky" on the Theme Parks board should give the prices though without tax) and get the total for each way of doing it.

Remember that if you add on "waterparks and more" that *could* give you 10 more days for the 10 day no-expiration ticket. If you spent a full day at waterparks, or a full day at Disney Quest, etc, that could end up with 10 full days of things to do. (those admissions are actually just 10 admissions...you could do two waterparks and 1 disneyquest in one day and it would take up 3 from the 10)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
peabody58
I'm just a drummer in a R&R Band!!

DW and I purchased the 10 Day No Expire Hopper Plus last year to supplement our AP years, and we will be activating them this Sept. We plan 1 Park visit and 1 Water Park. We have used Annual Passes for the past few years, but are pulling back on our WDW visits to rebuild our DVC point count and save some $$ for retirement in a few years. We figure the NE tics will last at least 3 - 4 years for our travelling style. Until Avatar Land and Star Wars Land are in place, we really don't have a really need to visit the parks as much. May even check our SW and Universal one year. So for our vacation plans, the NE tics are a perfect fit. When we do activate our APs (4 vouchers in the Safe Deposit Box), we will most likely still have some Water Park visits remaining on the NEs.

Now if we should decide that we need a gaggle of park days during a vacation, we would probable buy a 4-5 Day No Hopper from UT, but I don't see that happening.

Here is our cost break down based on our original cost:
- 20 'visits' each [10 Park / 10 WP] / $33.26 per visit

Our future AP's price out as follows:
- Est. 25 park days / $17.68 day/person

Not looking to need any new Park tickets until 2023.

Another thing to consider is 'Will Disney stop offering NE tics?' If so, now would be a great time to pick up some, especially before the mid year price increase. As always, carefully consider the outlay of a large chunk of money as well as the loss of earning potential. With the constant ticket price increase, we felt we could diversify our investments to include a stash of park tickets.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

A lot depends on if you can use any of the annual pass perks.

I think you still get free parking if you are staying off site, and some good room discounts if you are staying on site.

If you stay in Deluxes you might look at buying a small resale DVC contract for both cheaper rooms and discounted annual passes.

Last edited by bookwormde; 02-10-2014 at 05:18 AM.
bookwormde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
hill6
DIS Veteran

We used our last set for three short visits. Not sure how but we have one ticket with one day left but the other was all used up.

It was definitely worth it for us.

The Dark Side May 8-10.

Villas at Wilderness Lodge May 10-14
Bay Lake Tower May 14-15. Hoping for last night at Wilderness Lodge
hill6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
hill6
DIS Veteran

We used our last set for three short visits. Not sure how but we have one ticket with one day left but the other was all used up.

It was definitely worth it for us.

The Dark Side May 8-10.

Villas at Wilderness Lodge May 10-14
Bay Lake Tower May 14-15. Hoping for last night at Wilderness Lodge
hill6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Theme Parks board....
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

This is exactly what my husband and I do. We never take trips of more than 3 park days at a time, so this makes the most sense for us. He has a ticket that we bought back in 2009 that still has 1 park day on it. It has lasted him through a 3 day trip, a 4 day trip, 2 1 day trips. Totally worth the money of not having to buy those super expensive 1-3 day tickets.
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
DavidNYC
DIS Veteran

Based on your situation - definitely. If you're getting 3 or more trips out of the 10 day, that's almost always your best bet (unless they're all within a year period in which case you have to look at AP options too).

Also - if you are buying the 10 day non-expiring, adding the water parks is a very good deal (especially if you're buying the hopper too). Since it never expires, you'll have those options for a long time after the days are used most likely. We still have admissions left over from 8 year old tickets.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Ametista
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyAnne View Post
For the next few years, I am pretty certain that our WDW plans will include 1 or 2 trips a year for 2 or 3 park days per trip. I am running the numbers to figure out our best park ticket options. The annual pass and length-of-stay tickets both would be more expensive per day than the 10 day non-expiring ticket - I think, but please correct me if wrong. Also, any other options I am overlooking?

Edited to add - Oops, I meant to post this in the Budget forum . . .
Yes, its the best. We go at least twice a year and do only 2 days at Disney (we also go to Seaworld and IOA, etc). We bought 10 day NE with water park fun and more option 3 years ago. We still have 7 days left for theme parks and no water park visits left, LOL. But thats because we go to MNSSHP and MVMCP so we sometimes don't even use a park day from out ticket. Now we will have to buy water park APs from now on I guess.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

That is what I have done for years. 10 day park hopper with no expiration. Up until recently where I see that the non-expiration is so expensive, I believe I have decided that the future will only be the days I am planning to go. I will have to figure that out when the time comes. I still have 4 days left on my 10 from 3 years ago.

After that, I will recalculate.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:03 AM   #12
pressedKenny
Earning My Ears

We go twice a year, averaging 3 park days per trip, and the 10 day/10 Fun days/no expiration ticket has been working perfectly for us for several years. We use this ticket in combination with the Costo Universal 3-day ticket (which doesn't have the 14-day usage restriction) and days at Ft Wilderness, water parks, and MK hard ticket events to fill a week at Disney and Universal.

The cost of the no expiration option is outrageous but after doing the math it was definitely the cheapest option for us.

We used to keep track of the # of parks days left on our 10 day tickets after every trip but now that info is displayed on the My Disney Experience site if you have your ticket linked to a magic band. Just wish that it would also tell you the remaining Fun days on your ticket, but not yet.
pressedKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:49 AM   #13
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

I'll kick in and say that we have also done this for years. I don't remember when I last paid full price for a ticket! We go at least a couple of times a year and make short visits, so this works for us very well.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #14
amberpi
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you visit WDW like my DH and I do. We always go for the 10 non expiring and just started adding the waterparks (can't believe I didn't figure out sooner). I think it will work well for you.
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
parboy
Mousing since 1982

We have been doing the 10 day NE tickets for years now and it works out well for us. We typically only do 3 park days each trip (once per year) so we get 3 trips out of them. I am using my last 3 days on our trip coming in a couple weeks and just did the math for buying a new set. It will save me around $500 buying the NE tickets vs just buying 3 sets of 3 day tickets.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: