Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Going from Deluxe to Moderate or Value "just to see"?

Hi All,

I've had 2 swanky Disney vacations when my littles were little and still napping, but, my next trip to the World will be when they are 8 years old. No longer unreasonable when exhausted so we need to get to the room quickly to get a nap in. No longer crucial to take afternoon breaks so I don't push them past their limits (although I still have my limits, being merely a middle aged human and not an inexhaustible child).

So, has anyone ever gone from a Deluxe to a Moderate or Value to see if they can enjoy a trip with a smaller price tag? I never mind spending money on vacation, it's the reason I live thrifty all year long. However, I wouldn't mind doing 2 vacations next year, instead of one biggie.

Just wondering what other's experiences were in going value or moderate after doing 2 deluxes, not necessarily because they can't afford it, but because they wish to spend less and see if Disney is still magical.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

We have had a couple of CL stays which we loved, but then stayed at POFQ and LOVED it! We actually stayed BC CL the trip after POFQ and honestly enjoyed POFQ more!

I think that the trip is what you make of it, and you would be fine. Saving money is always good!!

I am the same way about spending though, we splurge on vacations but live pretty frugally in our regular lives.

I keep thinking about switching our reservation to a moderate like POR or something for our April trip, but we are going to have a 3 month old in tow, so I can't give up the convenience of CR for that. Maybe once he gets older!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
RookieLady
Mouseketeer

We transitioned well enough to a moderate (CSR). Not so much with the value (as a family--adults only was fine). The beds were double beds and the room was just so small. Even though we weren't in it often, we were just on top of each other when we were there.

I would do a moderate without hesitation. Frankly, I thought the transportation as a whole was better at a moderate because the bus rides to the parks at deluxes are really long for the few parks that a bus is required for.
RookieLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
Octoberbaby
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at each level with the Polynesian being the most frequent resort. I love the Polynesian, but have NO issues whatsoever with staying at All Star Sports Resort. My husband actually preferred the Sports over any other resort.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

We enjoy our deluxe stays, heck, this year alone, we've stayed at the GF, CR CL & YC CL but we are staying at CSR next month and again in January and can't wait to return there.

I'll also add that at this point in our lives (my girls are 20 and 16), we would most likely go with a deluxe or moderate over a value now because we do enjoy the amenities that these two levels offer. BUT that's not to say that we would never stay at a value again either as I can honestly say that we've enjoyed all of our stays so far.
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: CR CL & Poly CL

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
elaw
DIS Veteran

We really enjoy the moderates .... in fact, we like them so much that we almost always split stay with a Mod/Deluxe mix every trip. We've visited a couple of the Values but didn't feel they would suit us very well.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
msmama
DIS Veteran

I think POP might be my favorite of all the resorts.

The ONLY reason I like Deluxe is because they get me closer to the parks and I can take another form of transportation (staying at BC this year to be closer to HS for SWW).

Moderates (aside from POFQ) I generally don't like. I don't feel like I get much for the extra that I pay. I'm still trudging a long way to my room (I can rationalize paying for a closer room at Pop) after a long day. As a smaller person the difference in bed size doesn't matter to me.

That said, when I "go big" and go for Deluxe, I go REALLY BIG and go for club level and the whole 9 yards!!

My son is getting to the age where other vacations are looking less scary so I think this may be our last Disney trip for a few years which is another reason I'm splurging on upcoming trips.

Personally, though, in general I'd rather stay longer and cheaper with a Crazy trip through in every so often.

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
~Tinkerella
Mouseketeer

We actually prefer the value resorts; Pop Century is our favorite.

While the deluxe resorts offer the great ambiance and the monorail for transportation, we do find that the cost can be prohibitive. Would rather spend our money on the fun ~ we no longer have young children and so spend very little time in our room; just basically sleeping and showering.

The moderates are nice; Port Orleans Riverside is our favorite there, but they are so spread out that there is a lot of walking from the rooms to the main building for meals, etc. And so many bus stops within one resort.

As I said, we particularly love Pop! They have their own buses which is great and things are a bit more reasonable as far as walking from the rooms to the main building for meals.

Spending less on a resort allows us to stay longer and spend the money on more days to visit the parks and ADRs.

Whatever you decide to do, ENJOY!!!!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!"
~Tinkerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Guiness92
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at deluxe, mod, and value. Our favorites out of all were pop century and all star movies. Wilderness Lodge was very nice and the boat transportation to magic Kingdom was nice, but enjoyed ourselves more at pop. People are generally friendlier at value resorts from my experiences, and younger children have way more to do at value resorts.
Guiness92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

We usually stay CL at a deluxe, but can be all over the map depending on the circumstances. It really depends on your expectations for a certain trip and where you intend to spend your time.

This year, we stayed BWI CL in February and Poly CL in March. I also ran the Princess Half Marathon in February, so I knew downtime at the resort would be essential. Both times, we planned to take afternoon breaks and go at a slower pace. In August, however,ASMu had an AP rate of $67/night at a time when our kids had a short break from activities and the week before our trip to Paris/London. So we booked a last-minute stay at ASMu and absolutely loved it. ASMu was even better than expected and the price was amazing. We tried a bunch of new CS restaurants instead of going back to our routine ADRs and it was such a fun adventure. I would not choose a value for one of our longer vacations, but we had a great time. Spent tons of time in the parks and thought it was perfect for that trip.

Next year, we have AKL CL, GF CL and Poly CL booked for January and WL CL booked for March. But for Easter weekend . . . AOA! While we could stay deluxe over Easter weekend, I just don't feel like it's a good value - so we'll take that time to try another new value resort and spend extra time in the parks.

Our kids are all about mixing it up now, and it's been fun to experience Disney in different ways. As long as you know what to expect and are ready for something fun and new, I recommend it!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL and CBR
pixarmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

We enjoy all levels of the resorts. The only issue we have with values are the beds. (full size) We have been to and would return to the value suites. Our last trip was 6 days at BWV 1 BR, 4 nights at CR, and 1 night at AOA suite. I think I prefer the Music suites over AOA, but would stay again at either.

Our next trip is a quicky to see University of Central Fl for my graduating DD. We are staying at POR, which we haven't been to in a while, but are looking forward to. Another note to mention is that we always have a rental car, (or our own car) and usually use it for everywhere except MK.
Donna
Old 11-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

We enjoy all levels of the resorts. The only issue we have with values are the beds. (full size) We have been to and would return to the value suites. Our last trip was 6 days at BWV 1 BR, 4 nights at CR, and 1 night at AOA suite. I think I prefer the Music suites over AOA, but would stay again at either.

Our next trip is a quicky to see University of Central Fl for my graduating DD. We are staying at POR, which we haven't been to in a while, but are looking forward to. Another note to mention is that we always have a rental car, (or our own car) and usually use it for everywhere except MK.
Donna
Old 11-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
Belle612
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at deluxe many times, but on a couple of trips we have chosen to go moderate, with Coronado Springs being the absolute favorite. I think it has the most "deluxe" feel of all the moderates, and the beds are super comfortable and the amenities are awesome.

If you go with a value, I would recommend AOA without question. The suites are great, but may have a higher price tag. The Little Mermaid rooms are awesome, with the only downside being they are full size beds and not queen (this is true of all values). AOA has its own bus service (the All Stars share) and the grounds are just really nice and new, and the pool is great.

I love trying out Disney resorts of all levels so I would say give it a shot, especially if it means you can visit 2x in one year!

Oct 2001 - Contemporary / Apr 2005 - Contemporary / Aug 2007 - Contemporary / March 2009 - Pop Century / March 2010 - Boardwalk Inn / Spring 2011 DCP Mission Space CM! / Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs / Oct 2011 - Coronado Springs / Jan 2012 - Beach Club / June 2012 - Yacht Club / Oct 2012 - Beach Club / Dec 2012 - Coronado Springs / Jan 2013 - Grand Floridian / March 2013 - Art of Animation / July 2013 - Beach Club / March 2014 - Yacht Club / Oct 2014 - Doubletree Suites DTD

Jan 2014 - My Bachelorette Party - Villas at Wilderness Lodge!

July 2014 - OUR DISNEYMOON! Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean, Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club & Contemporary

Belle612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
disneydude365
Going to Disney World Dec 17th

the way i see it each resort when you get to the basis is that they are a place for you to rest between your fun, I've stayed at contemporary, colorado springs, and even off site, visited the value with friends. honestly I've never (with the exception of offsite) seen much difference. really the only difference is themes at your kids age won't matter the decor too much any disney resort you will know your at disney
Old 11-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Although I have stayed at a few deluxes on occasions I like CSR and AS Sports as well.

CSR is like a modified deluxe and I enjoy my stays there. On my upcoming solo trip in February I am staying at AS Sports. The values are fine with me but if the whole family goes I need bigger beds and more space.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: