Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
waynesgirl
Maleficent is my hero!

Decisions, Decisions

Trying to decide what's more important? Time or money?

We can stay offsite, rent car, and toll and gas for $360. Annual passes.

We can stay on site for $400. POP.

But, with offsite, I don't have to wait for ME nor get up as early to take back to airport.

On site is more convenient but waiting for a bus to parks at POP is ugh. Planning parking at EPCOT and monorail to MK or walk to DHS. But, it is Pres. Week.
WDW Commando Member #138!!!!
Me DH DS24 DD20 DD16 DS8
9/'79-offsite DL; 9/'01-Offsite/ASMo;12/'01-Offsite; 9/'02-ASMo; 4/'03-ASMo; 9/'03-offsite; 11/'04-CSR; '05-Wedding and NEW BABY;9/'07-SSR; 4/'08-POR; 9/'08-CBR; 11/'08-WL; 4/'09-DLParis; 11/'09-POFQ; 4/'10-AKL; 11/'10-CR; 4/'11-BWI, from Italy!; 11/'11-YC; 9/'12-Wyndham; 11/'12-AoA/Cars; 2/'13 CSR; 3/'13-Dolphin; 8/'13-offsite; 10/'13-offsite; 11/'13-AlStSport; 2/'14-offsite; 4/'14-POP; 5/'14-DLParis- and many more.
waynesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

I am biased, and have done offsite before, but I am going with time on this one. I say look around the house, find $40 worth of stuff to sell on eBay and stay at the Pop! "Found Money" :-) That is just the way my brain justifies things! LOL There are some really good AP discounts out right now too. There is one for ASmu I think that is $82 Per Night (plus tax) during the week and $101 wkend in April and May. There were some others too. It was on the special offers page but only showed up when I was logged in.

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 weekend Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
waynesgirl
Maleficent is my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendybeth75 View Post
I am biased, and have done offsite before, but I am going with time on this one. I say look around the house, find $40 worth of stuff to sell on eBay and stay at the Pop! "Found Money" :-) That is just the way my brain justifies things! LOL There are some really good AP discounts out right now too. There is one for ASmu I think that is $82 Per Night (plus tax) during the week and $101 wkend in April and May. There were some others too. It was on the special offers page but only showed up when I was logged in.
They only had rooms at POP when I looked. They are right at $121 per night. I work for hotels and can get a really decent property for about $35 per night, 5 miles from EP. It's the rental car that's killing me- I am Hertz and Avis, both with good discounts, and I can't get under $170 for a rental for 3 days, even for a KIA Rio with manual windows and Fred Flinstone gas and brakes.

But, our flight leaves at 5:30 in morning, so to take ME means we have to be on the bus at 2:30. Driving a car, we just need to be at the airport by 4. that extra hour means a lot that early in the morning.

It's a quandry, for sure. This is kinda my Valentine's Day gift- kids are out of school and going with Grandma so we have a few days to go to Disney.
Me DH DS24 DD20 DD16 DS8
9/'79-offsite DL; 9/'01-Offsite/ASMo;12/'01-Offsite; 9/'02-ASMo; 4/'03-ASMo; 9/'03-offsite; 11/'04-CSR; '05-Wedding and NEW BABY;9/'07-SSR; 4/'08-POR; 9/'08-CBR; 11/'08-WL; 4/'09-DLParis; 11/'09-POFQ; 4/'10-AKL; 11/'10-CR; 4/'11-BWI, from Italy!; 11/'11-YC; 9/'12-Wyndham; 11/'12-AoA/Cars; 2/'13 CSR; 3/'13-Dolphin; 8/'13-offsite; 10/'13-offsite; 11/'13-AlStSport; 2/'14-offsite; 4/'14-POP; 5/'14-DLParis- and many more.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
nugov2
DIS Veteran

What accommodations are better? I personally wouldn't stay at POP, hard bed small rooms, similar to a motel(but our off site accommodations were better than deluxe). Stay off site if it is nicer and valet your car at the resort closest to the park. We did this and were able to walk right to the park. We also often ate at the resort we parked at making it more convenient and since we didn't want to do a lot of cooking. Then you will be in and out of parks faster than any WDW bus could get you back to the resort. Either way enjoy your trip!
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
scotas
Mouseketeer

Not sure how much it is, but don't forget to add in parking to your budget if staying off site. Haven't stayed off site in years but I remember cringing at the price then.

1998 off site
2005 Pop Century 50's section
2007 Caribbean Beach Resort - Jamacia
2008 Pop Century - 50's section
2009 Coronado Springs - Cabanas 9B
2010 Coronado Springs - Casistas 3
2011 Coronado Springs - Cabanas 9B
2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 (Jan.) Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 (Sept) Contemporary Resort
2014 (Feb.) Caribbean Beach Resort
scotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Just a thought, but with flight that rely in the morning, I would stay at the airport the last night. Get ME to the airport at the end of the day before travelling. If ME won't let you do this, find a flight that allows you to go the the airport when you want to go
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotas View Post
Not sure how much it is, but don't forget to add in parking to your budget if staying off site. Haven't stayed off site in years but I remember cringing at the price then.
i think they have annual passes so parking would be free.

if you're going to do pop i agree with staying at the airport on your last night.

2015June6 days akv- club levelMarch- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
mieuxmew
Mouseketeer

OP is an annual pass holder - parking is free!

I am in a similar situation. Staying 4 nights for Princess Marathon weekend - 2 adults/2 kids. We like renting a car. Best I could find (months ago) was $181 from National.

POP Century - $500 + $180 rental car
Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Princess Room only room w AP discount) $800.

Stay at nicer resort (POR) no car or POP w/ a car (plus save $100).

Do you have Magic Bands yet? If you do not have Magic Bands I would stay at POP so you will have Magic Bands and access with FastPass +
mieuxmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

With all the different ages going I would stay at POP for the bus transportation in case someone needs to go back early or wants to stay later.

The two times we have taken Grandma, she wanted to leave earlier than us.

Do you really want to be the driver at 4 in the morning or have a bus driver do the driving? I know I am always tired after a trip.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
Deb123
Mouseketeer

We are members of RCI and can get a timeshare condo pretty cheap while vacationing at Disney. And we drive down. Full kitchen, laundry, plus plenty of space. We are AP holders, so no parking fees.
That being said...we most ALWAYS choose to stay onsight at a Disney resort before staying offsight. The reasons are that it is simply more convenient for our family! My husband is not a theme park junkie like myself and son. We don't all have to go together, and when someone gets tired or wants some quiet time to themselves, they have it. I would stay at Pop if I were you. And stay the last night at the airport like others have suggested. We love Pop, and as AP holders, the discounts make staying there really affordable.
Deb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
waynesgirl
Maleficent is my hero!

Well, after a buuuuunnnnnch of repricing, here is the deal:

My flight is standby so we always try to get the 1st flight out in the mornings- it makes it easier.

AP holder- correct I don't pay parking but I also don't get EMH if I stay off-site.

It's just me and the DH so we aren't really concerned about the room as much as the difference in convenience and pricing. This year is a tighter year for us- another kid is prepping for college and blech, the costs are terrible.

My DH is an early-morning person so he tends to drive first thing- he doesn't mind. We usually have fun the first night or 2, staying up late, etc...the last night, we get in early. (Yes, I just admitted I'm old)

I found a rental at Dollar (never used them) for $150 after searching.

So, let's see...based on the above, what would you do?

1. Offsite- $320 total with room, car, tolls, and gas. Less than 5 minutes from EP. Breakfast included in room. Free parking.

2. Onsite- $370 total. ASMu. ME but wake up an hour earlier than really need to do. EMH and the whole DISNEY experience. But, no extra fees or anything like that.

Bear in mind, we go at least 2 to 4 times a year- one big trip with the kids where we do stay onsite; this year is properly BC. We usually go for small trips during the F&G Show and the F&W Festival. Already have MagicBands and I also was going to get a $150 Visa Rewards card and pick it up at Guest Services in Disney- this will cover a big chunk of our F&B, as we tend to do one really big meal like Chefs or Le Cellier, (or Pecos Bill's every day if he could get it) and a couple of snacks like pretzels, eggrolls, the new tapas at Spice Road, etc. Most of our money is spent (when the 2 of us) on adult beverages and snacks- I reuse a bottle of water when I am there.

What would you do? My DH is the "let's do it the eay way and just pay $50 more" where as I am in the "why not keep the $50 for more adult beverages- like the jalapeno margaritas that we love" camp. I just know I will kick myself for the $50 later when I see a trinket I want but at the same time, I'll also kick myself for the thought of I could've just spent more money and been at ease.
Me DH DS24 DD20 DD16 DS8
Old 02-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesgirl View Post
Well, after a buuuuunnnnnch of repricing, here is the deal:

My flight is standby so we always try to get the 1st flight out in the mornings- it makes it easier.

AP holder- correct I don't pay parking but I also don't get EMH if I stay off-site.

It's just me and the DH so we aren't really concerned about the room as much as the difference in convenience and pricing. This year is a tighter year for us- another kid is prepping for college and blech, the costs are terrible.

My DH is an early-morning person so he tends to drive first thing- he doesn't mind. We usually have fun the first night or 2, staying up late, etc...the last night, we get in early. (Yes, I just admitted I'm old)

I found a rental at Dollar (never used them) for $150 after searching.

So, let's see...based on the above, what would you do?

1. Offsite- $320 total with room, car, tolls, and gas. Less than 5 minutes from EP. Breakfast included in room. Free parking.

2. Onsite- $370 total. ASMu. ME but wake up an hour earlier than really need to do. EMH and the whole DISNEY experience. But, no extra fees or anything like that.

Bear in mind, we go at least 2 to 4 times a year- one big trip with the kids where we do stay onsite; this year is properly BC. We usually go for small trips during the F&G Show and the F&W Festival. Already have MagicBands and I also was going to get a $150 Visa Rewards card and pick it up at Guest Services in Disney- this will cover a big chunk of our F&B, as we tend to do one really big meal like Chefs or Le Cellier, (or Pecos Bill's every day if he could get it) and a couple of snacks like pretzels, eggrolls, the new tapas at Spice Road, etc. Most of our money is spent (when the 2 of us) on adult beverages and snacks- I reuse a bottle of water when I am there.

What would you do? My DH is the "let's do it the eay way and just pay $50 more" where as I am in the "why not keep the $50 for more adult beverages- like the jalapeno margaritas that we love" camp. I just know I will kick myself for the $50 later when I see a trinket I want but at the same time, I'll also kick myself for the thought of I could've just spent more money and been at ease.
I would still do offsite. I wouldn't stay in a value, but again that is me. Even for a short time I like space and luxury. I also won't use WDW transportation so having the car would be a must. It really just depends on your personal preferences. I think the money is better spent on nicer place to stay with extra money for adult drinks and your own transportation so you are not at the mercy of WDW transportation!
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: