Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
LAS321
When you wish upon a star...

Advice about Split Stay

Well, we thought we had made our decision to try CSR this summer. We have stayed at POR and CBR in the past. Love CBR but don't really want to deal with the refurb this year and thought it was time for a change. We finally decided on our dates in July and it seems there are no standard rooms availabe for our entire stay!! I checked and there are no conventions booked at that time so I have no idea what's going on..
So we can get CSR for 8 days and would have to move elsewhere for the last 3 days. Any advice or info on split stays? Is it a pain to move? Do you need separate Magic Bands for each resort? We really want to try CSR but wonder if those who have done it think it's just better to book another resort for the entire time....
Thanks for any info!
1983 ~ Polynesian, 1986 ~ Hotel Plaza, 1988,1991,1993 off-site, 1995,1997~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza, 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 ~Caribbean Beach Resort Port Orleans Riverside 2008,2009, 2010 July 2014~ CSR and POR!!
LAS321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran

I love split stays. We book our favorite, AKL, then try other places for a few nights. Disney makes it easy by transporting your luggage. I love having two different themes to look forward to.
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS321 View Post
Well, we thought we had made our decision to try CSR this summer. We have stayed at POR and CBR in the past. Love CBR but don't really want to deal with the refurb this year and thought it was time for a change. We finally decided on our dates in July and it seems there are no standard rooms availabe for our entire stay!!

1. I checked and there are no conventions booked at that time so I have no idea what's going on..

2. So we can get CSR for 8 days and would have to move elsewhere for the last 3 days. Any advice or info on split stays?

3. Is it a pain to move?

4. Do you need separate Magic Bands for each resort?

5. We really want to try CSR but wonder if those who have done it think it's just better to book another resort for the entire time....
Thanks for any info!
1. If even one night of your stay is fully booked, it will show as sold out for all your dates.

2. Split stays can be fun. It gives you a chance to experience 2 resorts during one trip. Disney doesn't recognize split stays so it will be 2 completely separate reservations. You will have to pay 2 deposits, etc. Many recommend that if you are going from one level of resort to another (e.g. mod to deluxe), do the mod first.

3. Disney will move your luggage for you via bell services. Do not expect it at your second resort until late afternoon so if there is anything you need during the day take it with you. If you have a car you can drive or take a taxi with your luggage to your new resort.

4. I've not used MBs yet so I'll leave this to someone else to answer.

5. We did it on our last trip and it went smoothly so we would do it again.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
LAS321
When you wish upon a star...

Thanks for the info! We have never done a split stay before and just worry that "moving day" will be wasted for us. If we can get a discount we might consider a few days in a deluxe since that will never happen for us as a full stay!
So I'm thinking when you get to the other resort you have to go check in?
We will have AP so our reservation will be room only....
1983 ~ Polynesian, 1986 ~ Hotel Plaza, 1988,1991,1993 off-site, 1995,1997~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza, 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 ~Caribbean Beach Resort Port Orleans Riverside 2008,2009, 2010 July 2014~ CSR and POR!!
LAS321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS321 View Post
Thanks for the info! We have never done a split stay before and just worry that "moving day" will be wasted for us. If we can get a discount we might consider a few days in a deluxe since that will never happen for us as a full stay!
So I'm thinking when you get to the other resort you have to go check in?
We will have AP so our reservation will be room only....
There really is no reason to waste a day, or even part of a day when switching resorts. Give your stuff to bell services first thing in the morning and head off to a park for the day. At the end of the day, head to your new resort and check in. Once in your room, call for your bags to be delivered. As a PP mentioned, if there is anything you'll need during the day, take it with you.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I've done many split stays and love them. I had one bad experience with allowing Disney to transfer luggage (one missing bag and a lot of time wasted stuck at the resort trying to get it located and delivered) so after that, we changed strategy.

If we are going to have the transfer day be a park day: Everyone goes to the park except one person would go to the new resort via taxi with the lugagge and check it with bell services and then bus to the park to meet the others.

Another option we have done is to make the transfer day be a pool day. This worked especially well when moving to a resort that has a character breakfast because we would toss in a character breakfast and then go to the pool after.

In both situations, I was the one who took care of the luggage and I checked in at new resort after dropping luggage with bell services. That way I would get a notification via text of when the room was ready. I found it convenient whether transfer day was a park day or a pool day.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: