Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 03:31 AM   #1
Gracomom
Earning My Ears

Do kids tend to like the deluxe or the more themed value more?

We're planning a trip with the family (me, DH, father-in-law, and kids: 4, 6, 8). I know for myself, the deluxe resorts would be great, especially the monorail ones. But for first-time, young travellers, do they tend to like the deluxe resorts for the amenities/pools/etc. or the more themed value? Or is it best to go in the middle at the moderate (if we could afford our choice)? The trip is really about the kids.

We haven't travelled very much with the kids (except a couple trips to Disneyland staying at basic offsite accomodations since they were old enough to remember) and a single trip to Mexico (at a 5* resort, where DS loved the 'deluxe' ammenities like ordering room service, fancy room with a big tub, etc.). So I know my DS likes to get spoiled, but he's still going to be pretty young when we go, and I'm wondering if he'd rather go to a more themed hotel with all the Disney magic, or stay somewhere with character dining breakfast, water slides, etc. ?

Do you usually book your hotel based on what the kids would like best, or do they tend to like what you do? I'm having a hard time deciding where to start.
Gracomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #2
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

My DS6 has stayed in almost every hotel at WDW and countless other hotels in the US, Caribbean and Mexico and prefers accommodations on the deluxe side. They are more comfortable for everyone. Like me, he prefers a short walk to EP or monorail ride over a bus ride. Sit down meals, nicer pools, more comfortable beds. We stayed at AoA and after the first evening of seeing the big character statues, he could not have cared less. Then we were stuck in an uncomfortable, noisy motel with one food court and buses. No one was happy. When you stay deluxe, there is so much more to do and more variety of activities and restaurants. Games on the boardwalk, fireworks from poly beach, etc. if you want a themed wow factor, you will get it in the parks. And the deluxe resorts have Disney themes, too, they are just more subtle - Mickey lamps in the rooms, Disney characters on the hallway carpets, etc. if you can swing it, go deluxe. Everyone, including the kids, will be more entertained and more comfortable.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #3
kimj88
Mouseketeer

DH9 and DH4 loved the Beach Club Villa 1 br. They loved the decor, extra room, the fact that there was a living room, and the short walk to boardwalk and Epcot. Oh and the pool too. But they have only been once so I can't say if they would like another resort better, but thinking they would prefer deluxe. Also there's the covered walkways to the bus. But of course the crazy price.
kimj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
kimj88
Mouseketeer

Forgot to mention we rented dvc points so we did save a lot on the 1 br villa price
kimj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

My girls have stayed at all levels and they prefer deluxe. They even say they don't like the motel style of doors opening to the outside. But also, we tend to stay CL, and they LOVE their "snack room", so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

They also like being closer to the parks (as do we). Seeing the MK from our resort is enough theming for me!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
JediBonas
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Yacht Club last year when the kiddos were 24 months old and they loved it. Walking to Epcot and HS was really nice and they loved storm along bay.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

We "discovered" WDW about 5 years ago & fell in love. Have had an AP ever since & go several times a year. We have stayed deluxe, mod & value. My grandkids are now 10-12-13.
Sooo, the last trip they said together, 'can't we just stay at POP?'
That's where our heart is. We always drive so don't worry about buses. The kids would live in the pool if we let them. And there are a lot of activities to keep them busy when we are not at a park.

Book Challenge Goal 86/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #8
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Every kids is different and will focus on different things. My kids loved the pool slides, which the value resorts do not have. The room decor didn't matter to them. They didn't think twice about bus systems or food courts. If the place that we stayed at had a good pool, they thought it was awesome.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
alice99
DIS Veteran

We have been to Disney world many times with our children.

We have been DVC members for 5 years now..... but, prior to that we stayed at Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach Resort and Wilderness Lodge.

My children absolutely prefer the Deluxe. There is no comparison when you compare quality.

I would stay deluxe every time if I could afford it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
alice99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

We travel a lot and stay in great hotels on family trips, not so great on team trips (but clean, which is everyone's top priority). My DD has always preferred deluxe outside of wdw, 4-5 stars (with concierge of course). At wdw, she insists that we always stay at ASMusic. If it wasn't available we'd be at AoA.

If we didn't also do the water parks, she might be swayed by the pool slides, etc. Even so, she spends a lot of time in the AS Pools. Heck, she'd spend a lot of time in a puddle.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #11
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Well, its been a long time since I was a kid, but my general observation is that kids enjoy the fun theming more than the amenities of a deluxe resort.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #12
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

When my girls were younger, they really didn't care where they stayed in Disney as long as there was a pool onsite. Our first few trips to Disney were in the values and they had a ball. Once we tried a moderate, they enjoyed that even more but once we stayed deluxe, it was pretty much a done deal for them . We've noticed as they've gotten older, they definitely prefer the additional amenities that the deluxes offer (as do we), but I also know they wouldn't hesitate to stay at a value again if that was the only option .
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: CR CL & Poly CL

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
GigiDisneyfreak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracomom
We're planning a trip with the family (me, DH, father-in-law, and kids: 4, 6, 8). I know for myself, the deluxe resorts would be great, especially the monorail ones. But for first-time, young travellers, do they tend to like the deluxe resorts for the amenities/pools/etc. or the more themed value? Or is it best to go in the middle at the moderate (if we could afford our choice)? The trip is really about the kids.

We haven't travelled very much with the kids (except a couple trips to Disneyland staying at basic offsite accomodations since they were old enough to remember) and a single trip to Mexico (at a 5* resort, where DS loved the 'deluxe' ammenities like ordering room service, fancy room with a big tub, etc.). So I know my DS likes to get spoiled, but he's still going to be pretty young when we go, and I'm wondering if he'd rather go to a more themed hotel with all the Disney magic, or stay somewhere with character dining breakfast, water slides, etc. ?

Do you usually book your hotel based on what the kids would like best, or do they tend to like what you do? I'm having a hard time deciding where to start.
My kids are now 15 and 21. They have grown up going to WDW. They fall in between everyone else. They very much appreciate the deluxe hotels however love the theming of the other hotels. I would suggest a moderate because it gives you a little of both. My daughters asked to stay at POR this trip in the royal rooms because they missed the theming in the resort. It also has a Marina on the river and the Surrey bikes. Last year we stayed at the yacht club because they loved the pool but they missed the theming. Not that it doesn't have a theme but they like the more in your face theming. If you want a deluxe with a theme I would suggest the poly.

Me, DD(21), DD(15), DGD(2)

Feb. 1987, 1988, and 1990 offsite; July 1992 offsite; Aug 1994 offsite; Oct 1996 Poly and POR(bayou); Sept. 1997 ASMu; Nov. 1998 CBR; May 2002 AKL; Dec. 2004 & 2005 POR(mansions), Mar. 2009 CSR, Mar. 2013 YC,
GigiDisneyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #14
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
The trip is really about the kids.
Around those ages, my kids had three requirements for a hotel on vacation:

1: There must be a pool.
2: The pool must have water.
3: The water must be wet.

That's about it.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

I think your kids would love a deluxe monorail more than the values, or any deluxe better. There is something so magical to taking a monorail to MK and back to your resort. Your kids will be so happy, and I think they'll know they are so lucky to be in WDW.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: