Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 02:57 AM   #1
Sunfox
Earning My Ears

Help dating a late 1980s WDW trip based on resort photo!

First post here, so please excuse me if I'm in the wrong spot! Couldn't quite find an exact match for my topic.

My family was always big on Disney world (I was even conceived there - yeah, TMI!) and I've been going through some old family photos - digitizing old 35mm slides - and have found pictures from what I believe is our middle trip, which happened between our 1982 and 1990 trips. However, the slides are unfortunately undated, and I can't for the life of me remember the exact year it happened!

Up until now I'd been thinking it was 1985 or 1986, but I've just found a slide of the Grand Floridian and I know that resort didn't open until July 1988. However, while it seems to be finished, looking very closely it's not actually done being built - the little shelter at the end of the boat dock is just bare wood, and there's yellow construction equipment still around building #5.

We always took our trips in spring (end of March / early April timeframe), so I'm now thinking this photo is from spring 1988.

Anyone able to confirm, or have a better guess?

Sorry for the mangled link, but I'm not allowed to post them yet.

sunstorm. com/stuff/grandfloridian.jpg
Sunfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
lizabu
DIS Veteran

It's hard to say. If there were people the clothes would tip you off.

Here's your pic for easy viewing:

lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

I agree.. based on the construction, early 1988
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
Sunfox
Earning My Ears

Well.. I'm not sure that any kind of clothing would help narrow it down to a specific year in the late-80's! There other shots in the set, but nothing date-specific like seeing a resort under construction. Certainly nothing handy like the "Spring Break 1990" T-shirt I got on our next trip...

EDIT: thanks davedmaine! The more I research old construction photos of the resort, the more I'm inclined to believe this is indeed spring 1988. Fun seeing these old memories again, but I'm disappointed by how few photos my parents took. Cost of film, developing, I guess... plus I doubt my dad's camera was very portable. Certainly nothing like the trip I went on in 2008, where I took over 1000 shots - ah, thank goodness for digital cameras!

Last edited by Sunfox; 02-08-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
beckysko
Mouseketeer

This site shows two photos of the construction in Sept 1987, so you know your picture is later than that! HOpe that helps a bit.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...is-topped-off/

CSR in Feb 2014!!!!
2012 split stay GF/AOA (June)2010 Pop Century (July/Aug)2008 Pop Century (Aug)1989/1985/1986 offsite (Vistana)
beckysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
Sunfox
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone... this does help! Also makes perfect sense since it matches up with a couple other batches of similar-looking undated slides that I'd already pegged at summer 1988.

It's stupid - I have slides going back to 1960, all of them with dates and frame numbers stamped on them... and then past 1987, they seem to have stopped any kind of dating/numbering. How cheap can you get?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: