Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
cantoine
Mouseketeer

Help!!!!!! Aoa or 2bdrm okw

So the husband has argreed to a trip to Disney in June, first it was a 3 day trip, then he said do a week . I booked a 7n/8d trip at AOA cars, and was within my budget . Showed my DH last night, who then threw me a curve ball, He feels that with the 30% discount that they are offering at OKW he wants to stay in the 2 bedroom there. He said I could keep the 7n/8d and everything else the same but if feels it is a better deal over AOA. But I am feeling a little guilty for spending that much money. He said it is fine, and he knows I really want to go, and if he is going to go again, (we were there in october) then he doesn't want to be cramped in a smaller room, and for the price it is well worth it to get the 2 bedroom. I want AOA because of the high kid appeal. I do not know what to do, should I cease the moment the husband is giving me? or keep my original plans? is it ok to spend that much money or is the guilt talking? (Spending it wont hurt us financially in anyway) HELP

Here is some more info:
our travel party consist of 3 adults maybe 4 and 4 children 9,5,2,1
This is our 3rd trip to Disney and it will not be our last
It is one of the adults first trip

His reasons for not wanting to stay at AOA is the rooms 500 sq ft are not big enough for our party size, he doesn't want the kids on pull out couches, the beds apparently are uncomfortable based on the reviews of many and no laundry or kitchen. He loves the property but said we will be busy at the parks and not take full advantage of the resort. He said he will still take the kids over there to see and eat lunch at the food court, to give then that experience. but he doesn't like the rooms for this trip.

Me, DH, DS9, DD6, DD2, DD1
2011-POR: 2013-POR: 2014-YC/BLT; 2014-AKL-Kidani/SSR; 2015-OKW
cantoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

I would jump all over the 2 bedroom and not look back! I think the extra space will be well worth it. Plus, if that 4th adult comes with, you will not be able to stay at AoA as you'll be over capacity.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
jimandami
DIS Veteran

I would absolutely choose OKW. We stayed at AoA in a LK suite and while we enjoyed it, OKW will give you a much better experience. The rooms are huge, you can save money with the kitchen, and you can do laundry in the room, which is fantastic. I just looked for your dates and it looks like with the 30% a week would be around $4000. If you are concerned about the money, you could rent DVC points, which at $12/point, would save you at least $800...that's a lot of money!

ETA: Even though the kids will love the theming of AoA, they will also love the pools and amenities at OKW. My DS9 has stayed at BWV, BC, WL, AKL and AKV, BLT, POFQ, Pop, AoA, and OKW and he recently declared the slide at the sandcastle pool at OKW his very favorite!

Last edited by jimandami; 02-07-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: adding
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
smiths02
DIS Veteran

1) Assuming that your DH works and some of this money is his, you should listen to him more than random people on the internet. If he wants OKW, give him OKW. The children aren't paying for this vacation...going to Disney would is an entire vacation centered on kid appeal.

2) You can't do 7+1 in a suite at AoA. So if the other adult comes, you would be out of luck.

3) 6+1 in a suite seems less than ideal. So you and DH in the room with a pack and play. Then the other adult sleeping on a pull out and a murphy bed with the other 3 kids?
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
amym2
DIS Veteran

Absolutely do OKW! We stayed there in Oct 2012 and loved it. The 2 bdrms are enormous, and you'll have an outside patio/balcony in case anyone wants to escape for some quiet! Our kids (11 and 8 at the time) loved the main pool and sand play area at OKW, and the pool activities were tons of fun. Only downside to OKW is lack of elevators. You might request a 1st floor since you'll have baby stuff, plus then you won't have to worry about noise bothering the people below you (lots of reports of the pitter patter of feet bothering people because of the flooring). Olivia's at OKW is a great-table service restaurant.

Oh, and your DH sounds so much like mine. He'd rather spend the money on larger accommodations because he enjoys some time at the resort vs the constant go, go, go at the parks. We've been to WDW 5 times (or 6?) with our kids and joined the DVC because DH needs some down time!
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Okw all the way-we loved the 2 bed villa and there were only 4 of us!
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

If the person setting the budget is telling you book the larger suite at the nicer resort, you do that!

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantoine View Post
So the husband has argreed to a trip to Disney in June, first it was a 3 day trip, then he said do a week . I booked a 7n/8d trip at AOA cars, and was within my budget . Showed my DH last night, who then threw me a curve ball, He feels that with the 30% discount that they are offering at OKW he wants to stay in the 2 bedroom there. He said I could keep the 7n/8d and everything else the same but if feels it is a better deal over AOA. But I am feeling a little guilty for spending that much money. He said it is fine, and he knows I really want to go, and if he is going to go again, (we were there in october) then he doesn't want to be cramped in a smaller room, and for the price it is well worth it to get the 2 bedroom. I want AOA because of the high kid appeal. I do not know what to do, should I cease the moment the husband is giving me? or keep my original plans? is it ok to spend that much money or is the guilt talking? (Spending it wont hurt us financially in anyway) HELP

Here is some more info:
our travel party consist of 3 adults maybe 4 and 4 children 9,5,2,1
This is our 3rd trip to Disney and it will not be our last
It is one of the adults first trip

His reasons for not wanting to stay at AOA is the rooms 500 sq ft are not big enough for our party size, he doesn't want the kids on pull out couches, the beds apparently are uncomfortable based on the reviews of many and no laundry or kitchen. He loves the property but said we will be busy at the parks and not take full advantage of the resort. He said he will still take the kids over there to see and eat lunch at the food court, to give then that experience. but he doesn't like the rooms for this trip.
OKW 2 bedroom is huge! Be careful - after I stayed in one I bought DVC!

Request buildings 30 or higher, you an an extra entrance into the master bathroom (through the master bedroom or the laundry room).

That's another thing - you get a full size laundry!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
cantoine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post

Request buildings 30 or higher, you an an extra entrance into the master bathroom (through the master bedroom or the laundry room).

That's another thing - you get a full size laundry!
Thank you for the advice, I will def. be booking OKW if there is a chance to become a member of DVC. that is my goal. I am hoping to convince my DH it is time.

Me, DH, DS9, DD6, DD2, DD1
2011-POR: 2013-POR: 2014-YC/BLT; 2014-AKL-Kidani/SSR; 2015-OKW
cantoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantoine View Post
Thank you for the advice, I will def. be booking OKW if there is a chance to become a member of DVC. that is my goal. I am hoping to convince my DH it is time.
A member friend of mine invited me to stay in a 2 bedroom with her and 2 others. Up to that time, I thought she was nuts to spend that money on DVC. Six months later, I was signing by the Mickeys. At that time, it was only OKW and BWV at WDW. I decided to go with BWV because I loved that area when we stayed at the BC and it was harder to get reservations.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #11
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Us too!

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
hill6
DIS Veteran

OKW. it is like an apartment not a hotel room Full kitchen, washer/dryer, living room and separate bedrooms.

Saratoga Springs Nov 8-13 our First DVC trip

Villas at Wilderness Lodge May 9-14
hill6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
eliz603
Mouseketeer

OKW without hesitation. We are a family of five and prefer the villas hands down.

BLT 2013, POR 2013, Grand Californian 2010, Contemporary 2009, Polynesian 2008, Wilderness Lodge 2006, Beach Club 1996, CBR1995, Wilderness Lodge 1995, prior visits CBR, The Disney Inn, Disney Villas, plus lots of day trips back to 1982!

eliz603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

OKW hands down!!! AoA will be cramped and much more noisy.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
catheren
DIS Veteran

another vote for the 2 bedroom at OKW! They are huge!!!
you will have a full kitchen, so you can have breakfast in the villa, and pack snacks, bottled water for the parks. And when you return from the parks, everyone can spread out .... the patio or balcony is nice to have a drink and snacks. Washer/Dryer, means packing less clothes, and returning with clean laundry.
catheren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: