Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #301
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Quote:
Well, yea, but we were smart- we did not wait in the middle of the chaos all day- we went to a bar in Times Square after a Broadway Show and then just came out onto a sidewalk at midnight to see the ball drop and see the fireworks. DEFINITELY better than hangin in the crowd all day!!
Very smart.

Quote:
You're a TA?
Yep.

The food looked good at Enchanted Garden.
He pulls off that bra well. LOL.
The lobby looked so pretty.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:08 AM   #302
tink,too
DIS Veteran

We were considering sailing with DCL over the holidays and found your TR while doing a bit of research - you sure seemed to be having a great time!

We've never done the "Quest" games, but think this is definitely something we need to check out on our next cruise!
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #303
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Great Update !! The food all looked delish , not sure which I would have picked !! ust to let you know I started my TR , link is in my siggie!!
Thanks for the heads up, Rosie! I went right over!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopRowSeat View Post
Oh great, yet another town that that I can't show my face in. Nah, it was fun. Go ahead and share. I have no shame.

Good thing!

I have to say I was impressed with how fast Kristi got hers off. Very impressive.

Yes- it would appear she had had a LOT of practice- and that's all I'll say about THAT.

It was a ton of fun. I had never heard of Quest before we were on our way into dinner and Ellen went by the other direction and just said "Quest, 10:00" I felt a bit like I was in a spy movie and had just received a coded message. I had to refer to the navigator to decode the instructions but we figured it out and were in the right place at the right time for some silly fun.

LOL! That's right- I did say that to you, I forgot!! Well, you did an AWESOME job being a whole team until the final two minutes when we arrived!

This was one of many highlights of the week.
Yup- I wish you were coming on our Alaska this summer- it will for sure be lonely without you-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
I'm really sorry we missed it. Its on the list for our next cruise. I need to start practicing my speed bra removal skills now!!

Jodie
Practice makes perfect!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
What a fun night!!! I have never seen those game shows, but it looks like a riot.
I saw a hypnotist on a NCL cruise many years ago and it was so hilarious!
It was one of MANY fun nights we had together- this was probably the most fun cruise we have been on yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
Great update Ellen! Tyler looks so grown up, and quite a bit more like Pods lately!

Thanks! He will probably love hearing that- usually people say he looks like me- prob would prefer to look like his Dad over his Mom!

I love the pics of the empty lobby with the tree. Never usually get to see that area empty!

It's all timing- either stay up late, or get up early-

What exactly is Quest, and why did the MC's exchange clothing? I'm guessing its some sort of game, but is the bra thing an every time deal?
It is a scavenger hunt for adults- many cruiselines have a version of it, with varying degrees of adult-ness. DCL's version is adult, but stays pretty clean. It is a lot racier on some other lines...
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #304
podsnel

So- I will come back to answer the remaining replies later- just would like to update because this day in SXM was soooooo awesome and I would just LOVE to relive it today!!

We were pulling into port and able to disembark after 8:30 am or so- and would be spending the day on a boat with two other DIS families- one of whom was the Mcs, of course!! The boat company is REALLY well rated on trip Advisor- Soualiga Destinations, or Captain Bob Cass- anyway, it was reasonable, and it was EXCELLENT!

We pulled into St Maarten-

We grabbed a quick breakfast from Cabanas before heading out to the island.
Our confirmation told us to meet up with Capt Bob at the Marina next to the port at 9:30 am- it was a 10 minute walk, he gave us great directions. Outside-

We were docked next to Norwegian Epic. That is one HUGE and very odd looking ship!

Walk this way...

Enter here-

Well, we all checked in- there were 12 of us on the boat- many others going on other boats of Capt Bob's, and many other DISers to boot- I think a lot of them were DVC4Life's friends. Including Christine and family who were with us. The Captain warned us- it was rough out there today. It was not certain whether we would be able to make all the stops. If we were at all frigtened or scared, we could turn around at any time. They first put us on one boat, then came back and moved us to another Captain. Then, we were off!

The first area we saw was Simpson Bay and it was filled with Yachts. There are a LOT of yachts, we came to learn, in SXM.

Then we were here-

And next was Marigot? I think the Marina section??

And then we were told, it was about to get really rough- if we were all ok with that, he would do his best to get to the next stop, which was Tintamarre, for snorkeling. As he readied the boat, he put today's braless wonder in charge-

We were all ok with getting tossed around, so we HIT IT!

OMG- it was hilarious!!! Like a roller coaster!!

The rough stuff lasted about 10 minutes, maybe a little longer- and wow, was it worth it! Tintamare is just for diving and snorkeling and deserted beaching now, but it has an interesting history being once owned by St Kitts as well as being some sort of refueling station for Nazi U-Boats in WW2, in addition to many other incarnations. It is small, only about 80 acres.

Looking back to St Martin- looks like Hawaii!!

I want to say we were one of maybe 3 boats here. And after copming through all that rough stuff, was it worth it? You tell me- here are my un-retouched pics from snorkeling with a new friend-

He was swimming right with me- it was the BEST!! I also saw an entire school of needle nose fish- really I have seen one or two in the past at a time, so that was also cool, but my photos did not come out very well. Some guy from another boat asked me if I wanted my picture taken, and since my family wa who knows where since I had followed the turtle, I said sure! Who else will take it?

That was a great experience, always love snorkeling when you see a turtle. We were all back on the boat, and heading to our next stop, Pinel Island. This was SXM-

For the record, we have been to St Martin one other time, on an RCCL Explorer of the Seas cruise. THAT time, we rented a car and drove around to see the island. Can I just say, I like seeing St Martin MUCH MUCH more this way. We did not need a map this time or ANYTHING lol-

Have to run to a baseball game- back later!

Old 05-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #305
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Wow Ellen, swimming with that turtle looks amazing! I always opt for the beach vs land anytime I can. I know when I make it to Hawaii, I'll never see those cool volcanos or forests or anything because I won't be able to be preyed from the beach!

That square ship looks really weird.

Great update. Can't wait for more.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:01 PM   #306
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I loved SXM. Love your turtle friend!

Jill in CO
Old 05-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #307
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi Ellen! Nice updates! It looks like your servers were great! Did you feel like Enchanted Garden was as magical as it looks in the marketing?

We went to Pinel Is snorkeling too. We got to a neighboring island by boat, and then rode in a dingy over - I was given the job of bringing a baby sea turtle out to set him free out there! He was so cute. They are cute even as adults. I love the pics of the one you were swimming with - great job getting those! How special that he chose you to swim with.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #308
podsnel

Our next stop was a little place called Pinel Island, again, very near to SXM (which is what this is)-

This is a very tiny island where there are 2 restaurants/bars and lots of chairs/umbrellas to rent for the day. People come across from SXM by ferry, boat or kayak- it is really lovely, and it felt very European to me rather than completely Caribbean. Our Captain threw down the anchor and told everyone to grab a soda or beer (free from him) rather than purchase one on the island. Just a few feet away was one of the other boats of Soualiga's- with more of DVC4Life's & Christine's friends.

Hoppin off!

Soggy dollars for all!

Where we are headed-

Well, I was in the Caribbean, and beer and soda are nice and all, especially when they are free, but when in Rome-

I'll be having a Bushwacker. Sil vous plait! Tyler was busy relaxing, but not for long-

Happy New Year's Eve!

Typical beach fare- like bein on the boardwalk at the Jersey shore, lol-

They did also rent chairs and umbrellas here,2 and a parasol were 25E. We'll stand instead today!

We thought it was so cool they had tables in the water!

Tyler was not as impressed- apparently he has seen it all before...

Ah! This must be where they have the sausage and peppers, lol-

So pretty here, right? I would love to spend a day-

Well, that may happen someday, but today we were getting back on our boat- it was time to visit SXM- and have some lunch... goodbye, pinel Island....

I mean au revoir...oops...

Last edited by podsnel; 05-31-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #309
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Still looks the same For some reason the food and drink was closed when we were there - the place was almost deserted. We rented a locker for our snorkel, and we were told we could rent a chair from "Sharrrrone" if we wanted to sit. We decided since we weren't there long, we just parked on the sand for a little bit after our snorkel - we were sitting just on the other side of the dock, right behind where Tyler is standing in his first photo - just below a little rum shack. Of course, our sitting there made the sand fleas really happy. That's what we get for being cheap. Beautiful pics of the island and the water. That would be the life wouldn't it?
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #310
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Great photos and how awesome to have a turtle be your swimming buddy for a while.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #311
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Alaska is definitely a cruise I want to do !!!
I was so relieved when my kids said yes! They have been saying no for years-

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Very smart.
Thanks!

Yep.

Yay! Me too!

The food looked good at Enchanted Garden.
He pulls off that bra well. LOL.

That's what I thought- pretty sure it wasn't his first time- just sayin....
The lobby looked so pretty.
It's gorgeous for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
We were considering sailing with DCL over the holidays and found your TR while doing a bit of research - you sure seemed to be having a great time!

It is a wonderful choice! There were so many extra things either given to us, or just around- really nice- it's a bad time for my hubby tho- so not sure we will ever get to do it again-

We've never done the "Quest" games, but think this is definitely something we need to check out on our next cruise!
Even if you don't get to play, it is hilarious just watching everyone runnin around like a nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Wow Ellen, swimming with that turtle looks amazing! I always opt for the beach vs land anytime I can. I know when I make it to Hawaii, I'll never see those cool volcanos or forests or anything because I won't be able to be preyed from the beach!

It is always incredible when turtles are around! I love the beach too- but you have GOT to see more stuff when you go to Hawaii- it's not just a beach!!

That square ship looks really weird.

I agree- Epic has a lot of weirdness....

Great update. Can't wait for more.
Thanks Girlie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I loved SXM. Love your turtle friend!

Jill in CO
We did NOT love it last time, so it was GREAT to see it a new way- we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! Beautiful all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Hi Ellen! Nice updates! It looks like your servers were great! Did you feel like Enchanted Garden was as magical as it looks in the marketing?

EG is very beautiful- but some of the tables (although not ours this time) can feel pretty tight. But the flowers above are very cool.

We went to Pinel Is snorkeling too. We got to a neighboring island by boat, and then rode in a dingy over - I was given the job of bringing a baby sea turtle out to set him free out there! He was so cute. They are cute even as adults. I love the pics of the one you were swimming with - great job getting those! How special that he chose you to swim with.
Yes, I felt very blessed he picked me! So did you release your turtle (HOW AMAZING!!) on Tintamare or Pinel Island?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #312
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Still looks the same For some reason the food and drink was closed when we were there - the place was almost deserted. We rented a locker for our snorkel, and we were told we could rent a chair from "Sharrrrone" if we wanted to sit. We decided since we weren't there long, we just parked on the sand for a little bit after our snorkel - we were sitting just on the other side of the dock, right behind where Tyler is standing in his first photo - just below a little rum shack. Of course, our sitting there made the sand fleas really happy. That's what we get for being cheap. Beautiful pics of the island and the water. That would be the life wouldn't it?
That's weird! What time of year were you there? The water was really pretty there, as well as the island- so much nicer than the Gang graffiti we saw instead on our last trip here! And yea- that would be the life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
Great photos and how awesome to have a turtle be your swimming buddy for a while.
Thanks! I got a little camera happy on Pinel Island- I really did like it there!
Old 06-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #313
MEK
DIS Veteran

That snorkeling looks amazing. Great pictures of the turtles. Very, very cool!

That adult beverage looks pretty good too! Sounds like a great way to spend the afternoon!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #314
podsnel

All of us were back onboard with Captain Tyrell and headed over to SXM, to an area called Grand Case which is known for its food- restaurant after gourmet restaurant.... a place I would love to spend more time in one day!

On the way over-

Clearly, we were all having a miserable time!

Here when we hopped off, the Captain told us NOT to bring the boat beer, etc, but we were welcome to use the lounge chairs on the tiny beach while we waited for lunch.

Steve is a really great Dad. With or without his wife's bra.

On St Martin, they grow a fruit called guavaberry. It has nothing to do with guava, and I guess it must be some kind of berry. But what they make out of this mystery fruit is what counts- Guavaberry Rum. It's kind of sweet but tart- and from it comes the awesome SXM frozen concoction, a Guavaberry Colada-

Ohhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaa.......

We went into the Creole restaurant for lunch- there was a choice of fish (mahi), chicken or ribs. My family had ribs or fish-

My fish was REALLY good- that sauce that came with it was yum and the rice and beans very tasty. We were all happy with our (included) lunch here!

Merry Christmas!

More typical beach fare here on SXM-

We were here-

Looks like there's always room for one more Guavaberry-

Steve was taking notes on Holiday decorating ideas SXM Creole style. I think the residents of Ohio are in store for QUITE a show this Christmas....

It's the white icicle lights that really make it, don't ya think? LOL!!! We hung around a little longer-

Another of "our" boats pulled in, and we heard that one of the boats, a private charter, had turned around super- early in their trip and wanted to go back. Just a little bit of waves was all it took. So sad for them- they REALLY missed out!!

Then we were back to the boat- we still had MORE to see!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: