Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

Formal & Semi Formal Nights

Hello Everyone!!!

I have a really stupid question....

There are formal and semi-formal nights on our cruise in June. Although I am a psychologist I really do not "dress up" when I see patients so I am not going to desire to dress formally on a cruise where I am suppose to be relaxing.

Is a nice dress shirt and pants (formal or suit pants) acceptable for formal and/or semi formal nights or is someone going to say something to me about it or worse not allow me in the dining areas at night?

I really do not like the pretentious nature of formal wear.....thanks for everyone helping me in this silly question.
RGLakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Sir William
DIS Veteran

If you do a quick search you'll find lots and lots and lots of discussion on what to wear or not wear for the formal and semi-formal nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
Is a nice dress shirt and pants (formal or suit pants) acceptable for formal and/or semi formal nights ...
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
...or is someone going to say something to me about it or worse not allow me in the dining areas at night?
No.

Disney's official recommendation is:
Though optional, we recommend: Dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women
As you can see, you don't have to get too fancy or formal, and even a jacket is optional, as is a tie. However, since many people will be going all out, its respectful to at least dress nice for the evening. What you describe should be fine.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
GW45
Mouseketeer

Sounds perfect- you may well have people at the table on your right in evening gowns and tuxedos while the people on your left could be in shorts and casual tops.....anything goes.....and even if it doesn't I've never seen any servers or head servers enforce any dress code rules.

We tend to be somewhere in the middle- not a gown or tux but a dress and my husband wears dress pants and a shirt and tie, with the kids in smarter clothes than the other nights but not uncomfortably so.
GW45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
robhawk
DIS Veteran

You will be just fine!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Tinknalli
DIS Veteran

Formal and informal nights are optional. It's fun for a lot of people and some find it a pain. Be aware that on these nights the photographers are set up to do family portraits and it is a nice chance to get a pic of the family all dressed up.
2/98 All Star Music, 5/00 Port Orleans, 01/05 All Star Movies, 04/07 Pop Century, 10/08 Port Orleans Riverside, 04/10 Port Orleans French Quarter, 04/12 Disney Fantasy and Port Orleans Riverside, 04/14 Pop Century and Disney Fantasy

Tinknalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for the info.

I will probably just wear a nice dress shirt and dress pants with no tie....I don't dress up in my practice with patients so I'm not going to dress up on vacation.

Thanks again!!
RGLakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I get what you mean, but it's kinda funny. When I worked in a clinic, I wore scrubs. Even though I'm in a marketing office and like to dress nice, never ever would I consider any work environment "formal". Which I why we ACTUALLY PREFER TO DRESS UP! In the Disney cruise case, my 'formals' will be knee length, but still dressy and fun. But with a bigger group, all of us will be pretty schnazzy, so it's fine. I think if you wear pants, most people will be happy, but even if you didn't, it wouldn't matter.

But for me? I don't dress formal for work. That's why I LIKE to dress up and have a 'night out on the ship'...

~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: