Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
ntoeman
Earning My Ears

Castaway Cay Shore Excursion Cancelation

How often does Disney cancel the Castaway Cay excursions for weather? I have reservations for snorkeling equipment for next week and early weather forecasts have shown rain the day that we should be there. Will Disney cancel or refund for weather? Should I cancel it before I'm in the 3 day window? Would I be able to book it again easy once we are there?

Thanks for any advice on this!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
DL1957
DIS Veteran

On our December cruise the winds were up so the members of our group that scheduled parasailing had it cancelled. Disney just credits your account. If you really want to go on this excursion I suggest keeping your reservation and see what happens, if it is cancelled on you, you do not pay for it. Enjoy your cruise.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
mrssmiddy
Mouseketeer

If it is just a brief rain shower, I doubt they would cancel anything or refund your money. It rains at CC frequently, then clears up and the weather is great. We were at CC in summer of 2011 and we had been trying to avoid a tropical storm. We had been told we would be leaving earlier than normal because the storm was heading our way. It actually arrived even earlier and we had to leave earlier. There was a heavy downpour by the time we left. I had reserved a 2 day snorkel package (because we had 2 stops at CC). We never picked up our gear on the day of the storm and we weren't charged for that day.

Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - May 2014
Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - October 2013
Disney Dream 5-Night - July 2012
Disney Dream 5-Night - August 2011
mrssmiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

This happened to us in APril. My sister booked the snorkel gear. Our para sailing was canceled due to wind. It was windy and the water very cold and choppy. People were snorkeling. My sister and her family opted not to since it was not good weather. DCL would not refund their money.

I would suggest that you cancel your reservation and just rent the gear when you are there.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

For simple rain showers, they aren't likely to cancel. Heavy downpour all day, and/or high winds, DCL may cancel.

If you cancel an excursion before the cruise, you run the risk of not being able to add it again onboard if the weather clears up. Your best bet is to wait and see -- if DCL cancels, there will be no charge. If it's simply showers and you are snorkeling, you'd be wet anyway so might as well snorkel.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
kyirish25
DIS Veteran

Snorkeling, tube rentals & bikes are the only things I've never seen cancelled. The last couple of times everything else was cancelled due to high winds (April & Dec). Snorkel gear is something there is plenty of so you would be fine canceling and just renting the day of after you see the weather.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
Racer X
Mouseketeer

weather

Well - from experience... before you drive yourself insane checking the hourly weather for the next week - realize that the forecast is not an exact science, especially this far out.

Last minute fronts and weather patterns can drastically change the outcome. Also, its the Carribean - its rains all the time! But timing is a big factor.

I can get OCD about the weather and just have to realize well, can't change it!

Hope you have a super sunny cruise!
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

It was supposed to rain on our CC day as predicted the day before our cruise sailed. It was gorgeous and in the upper 70s! I would wait and rent there. They had TONS. We were going to pre-book snorkeling too, but I heard that and we waited. I was glad because I ended up with a moody 9yo who was being a real pain the whole day and we just didn't get a chance to snorkel. Had I pre-paid I would have been out the money.
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)
Heading back to Disneyland December 12-16th!!! Taking my nieces on their first trip to DL!!!

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Well - from experience... before you drive yourself insane checking the hourly weather for the next week - realize that the forecast is not an exact science, especially this far out.

Last minute fronts and weather patterns can drastically change the outcome. Also, its the Carribean - its rains all the time! But timing is a big factor.

I can get OCD about the weather and just have to realize well, can't change it!

Hope you have a super sunny cruise!
Exactly about the weather forecasts so far out. Some people around here got hold of some weird random pattern that showed possibly 30 inches of snow this weekend. Our legit meteorologists were all saying it was bunk, but people got all freaked out. And it's only now that they (the general public) is seeing that "Oh. It's not going to happen..."
Old 02-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Tigger1313
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntoeman View Post
How often does Disney cancel the Castaway Cay excursions for weather? I have reservations for snorkeling equipment for next week and early weather forecasts have shown rain the day that we should be there. Will Disney cancel or refund for weather? Should I cancel it before I'm in the 3 day window? Would I be able to book it again easy once we are there?

Thanks for any advice on this!
you don't have to reserve the snorkeling equipment they have alot and I have never seen them run out. I would cancel and wait until you get there. The only way they would refund you the money for equipment is if the ship does not dock at CC.

DCL 1/14 BLT 1/14
DCL 7/14
AKL & BLT 7/14
AKL 10/14
DCL 2/15
Tigger1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
NCConch
Mouseketeer

We just cruised the day after Christmas. I had bottom fishing and snorkeling booked. It was rather windy the whole cruise but I still fished and snorkeled. The fishing captain said para-sailing had been canceled. The snorkeling cove is rather protected. The snorkeling was awesome. A couple yellow tail snapper (what I had been catching on the other side of the seawall) swam right up to me. It startled me when it first happened but I soon found it rather cool.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

On our Dream Cruise last February, I was able to do the 5k but then the skies opened up and they didn't even let people disembark onto CC. DH and I had reserved parasailing and we were able to get a refund, but we had to give them our unused excursion tickets. Lucky we didn't toss them!

FairyDawn on Etsy
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

This past December, all excursions ended up canceled due to wind and choppy seas.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: