Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.

Sunscreen & dolphin encounters

The last I read, sunscreen is not allowed during dolphin encounters, and I completely understand why. Is that still the case? If so, are there any acceptable alternative to conventional sunscreen that's permitted with dolphin and sealion encounters? Those of you who have done the dolphin/sealion encounters at either Blue Lagoon or Atlantis, what did you do for sunscreen? I don't want to harm the animals, but 30 mins in the water without sun protection will result in turning half of my family into lobsters.
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenne View Post
The last I read, sunscreen is not allowed during dolphin encounters, and I completely understand why. Is that still the case? If so, are there any acceptable alternative to conventional sunscreen that's permitted with dolphin and sealion encounters? Those of you who have done the dolphin/sealion encounters at either Blue Lagoon or Atlantis, what did you do for sunscreen? I don't want to harm the animals, but 30 mins in the water without sun protection will result in turning half of my family into lobsters.
I would imagine the rule depends on the facility. We went to discovery cove in Kissimmee a few years ago and they provided special sunscreen that was safe for the animals. I don't remember what it was called though.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
cmurray234
DIS Veteran

Virgin coconut oil naturally has an SPF of 4. If you can't find anything else, it's better than nothing.
cmurray234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenne View Post
Put sunscreen on your face (it's not really IN the water) and buy rash guards with UPF built in for the encounter time frame

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

http://www.cozumel-tours.com/biodegr...-sunscreen.htm

There are a few links to eco-friendly products here.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
spacecanada
Mouseketeer

Rash guards (long sleeve) are wonderful in these situations. As are wide brim hats to protect your face and neck. We burn faster than most people, so I would call the facility (or DCL) to ask which sunscreens, if any, would be safe for on your face during the excursion.

Note that biodegradable sunscreens (or anything else biodegradable) only biodegrade with the presence of SOIL, they don't biodegrade in water.
spacecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
aprilchem
DIS Veteran

My family did long-sleeved rash guards and sun hats and was fine in August. Coolibar is a good website to buy sun safe clothing.
aprilchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Great idea on the long sleeves. That water is COLD.

I can't speak to the dolphin encounters, but I can to the sea lion encounters. Ours were shaded.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...92067348_n.jpg

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...92459332_n.jpg

You can see the canopies they had installed at our Blue Lagoon Sea Lion encounters.

It should be ok, if its anything like these. I'd worry more about scorching the rest of the day. However, if you are doing the dolphin swim with the PUSH, that was out in the open, but that doesn't last very long, and there is still shade to stand under while you wait (if memory recalls.)
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: