Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
ikegoblue
Earning My Ears

Disney Gift Cards for Onboard Credit?

Hi All,

Was just wondering if we can use gift cards as Onboard credit and if there are any limitations like limits, limited items, etc.....

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikegoblue View Post
Hi All,

Was just wondering if we can use gift cards as Onboard credit and if there are any limitations like limits, limited items, etc.....

Thanks!
As long as the Disney Gift Card indicates that's it good on DCL, it can be applied to your onboard account. It's reported you can also use them in the gift shops onboard. But, other than that, everything onboard is charged to your onboard account.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
BadWitch
Earning My Ears

if you have a Target red card, you'll get 5% off the GC purchase! FREE MONEY!!
BadWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
ikegoblue
Earning My Ears

Good info, thanks!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

Just take any gift cards you have to Guest Services and they will apply them to your onboard account. Your onboard account is used to pay for excursions, tips, adult dining at Palo and Remy, spa treatments as well as anything you can buy onboard the ship or on Castaway Cay! So nope, no limits or limitations! Anything you can spend money on, you can use your giftcard balance towards!
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
natandscott
Mouseketeer

I didn't know that you could just take your gift cards to guest services and apply them to your account when we sailed in January. We didn't have many gift cards ($60.00 worth), but were able to use them in the gift stores on board as if they were cash.
March 2010: Disney's Boardwalk
November 2011: Disney's Wilderness Lodge
December 2012: Disney's Beach Club Resort
January 2014: Disney Cruise (Fantasy); Port Orleans Riverside; Pop Century
natandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
tinkledpink
Earning My Ears

I would like to let my children 6 and 9 have a certain amount to spend. Can I give them an amount through on onboard account/ credit or would a gift card be better? Just trying to have them manage their money for vacation themselves!
tinkledpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkledpink View Post
I would like to let my children 6 and 9 have a certain amount to spend. Can I give them an amount through on onboard account/ credit or would a gift card be better? Just trying to have them manage their money for vacation themselves!
The children may use a gift card in the shops onboard. If you want them to be able to use it anywhere else (snacks, smoothies, arcade, etc.) those get charged to your onboard account and you'd need to allow charging privileges to the children's KTTW cards. The onboard account is per stateroom, but you can get a print-out showing which person charged what; no ability to limit individual cards, though.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
BeautyFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikegoblue View Post
Hi All,

Thanks!

Yes. I haven't done this in advance as an Onboard Credit (I know some people will call their giftcards in to DCL in advance of their sail date) but I have set my account up as a Cash account. For a 3-5 day cruise that's a cash limit of only $300 before they require you to pay your bill and extend an additional limit of $300. I've paid my Onboard bill using Disney Giftcards, and then when I still had some unused giftcards, I used those as my deposit to book my next cruise!

If you choose to do this and have any excursions scheduled, remember to put some money on your room account before the excursion, or you may reach/exceed that credit limit!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
mtchurchmonica
Poster formerly known as yazee1

I just got online to research this very questions!

The 5% savings at Target is a good deal. Here's another one. For those of you who shop at a supermarket that awards gas perks based on all purchases, even gift cards, it might be advantageous to buy them there.

We need about $500.00 in gift cards.

Target - 5% of $500.00 = $25.00 savings
or
Giant Eagle - $2.00 off per gallon, fill up my 18 gallon tank = $36.00 savings
or
Giant Eagle - $2.00 off per gallon, fill up dh's 30 gallon tank = $60.00 savings

DCL - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, (upcoming) 2014
NCL Pearl 2010,
CCL Pride 2012, 2013
mtchurchmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #11
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkledpink View Post
I just asked DCL this yesterday, and the CM explained that GCs cannot be used in onboard gift shops (I'm not convinced, but that's what they told me.) What you can do, however, is to set a spending limit on their KttW card. Once that limit is reached, it won't accept any more charges.

When I had DCL apply Disney GCs to my OBB, they treated it like a gift. The CM had me go through all sorts of gift options including gift messages. Then they sent me an "amenities" email to confirm the "gift." She asked me what kind of gift message I wanted to put, and I was like, um, none? This gc was actually a gift to ME and *I* want to spend it, not share it with my kids lol. But she insisted I had to include a message and rattled off some ideas, like "from mom" and "have a magical cruise!" I just randomly picked one to get through the process. It's nothing major, but it just caught me off guard because it was a lot more involved than when I called to have a GC applied to my cruise fare. I don't know if the procedure I went through is normal or not or if the CM just chose to do it that way.
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
daisywithak
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="Ravenne;50872973"]

I just asked DCL this yesterday, and the CM explained that GCs cannot be used in onboard gift shops (I'm not convinced, but that's what they told me.)

I wonder if it's ship specific, because I know some people said they were able to use gift cards in the shops, but on the Dream we couldn't. They made us take card to guest service and apply them to our onboard account.
daisywithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
polyqueen
Earning My Ears

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but can the Rewards card (from the Chase Disney Visa) be used to pay for on-ship purchases, etc.?
I have a boatload of points and will only be at WDW one night with a DVC reservation. Thanks for any information!
polyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
hgon76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyqueen View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but can the Rewards card (from the Chase Disney Visa) be used to pay for on-ship purchases, etc.? I have a boatload of points and will only be at WDW one night with a DVC reservation. Thanks for any information!
Yes. You load your rewards onto a redemption card (call Chase & they'll send you a card loaded with the points/$$)then call DCL & tell them you want to put money into your onboard acct.

hgon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisywithak View Post
I wonder if it's ship specific, because I know some people said they were able to use gift cards in the shops, but on the Dream we couldn't. They made us take card to guest service and apply them to our onboard account.
Hmmm...interesting. It would kind of make sense. But I thought DCL is fairly consistent when it comes to policies like that?

Last edited by Ravenne; 03-05-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: