Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

Pre-Loading Room Account - Can I be Sneaky?

So, last time we went on a cruise, my dear MIL paid the entire bill. I love my MIL soooo much! Even when we tried to give her a visa gift card with the money we'd saved for the trip, she gave it back to us and said it was her pleasure.

This time, it's a 7 day WC on the Fantasy. MIL has reserved adjoining verandah rooms for the 4 of us (one for DH and I, and one for DS and MIL), and the reservations are linked. Did I mention how much I love my MIL?

I'm wondering, though, if I can load cash onto our cabin's account only, so I can get things like drinks and souvenirs and not feel so bad about charging a bunch of purchases to the room. If I do that, will the amount I load on cover both rooms, or just mine and DH's? Can I do it ahead of time to be sneaky, so she doesn't tell me not to?

Hopefully, Mom doesn't read this or recognize me. If she does... Hi, Mom! :blush

FairyDawn on Etsy
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missypyxi View Post
So, last time we went on a cruise, my dear MIL paid the entire bill. I love my MIL soooo much! Even when we tried to give her a visa gift card with the money we'd saved for the trip, she gave it back to us and said it was her pleasure.

This time, it's a 7 day WC on the Fantasy. MIL has reserved adjoining verandah rooms for the 4 of us (one for DH and I, and one for DS and MIL), and the reservations are linked. Did I mention how much I love my MIL?

I'm wondering, though, if I can load cash onto our cabin's account only, so I can get things like drinks and souvenirs and not feel so bad about charging a bunch of purchases to the room. If I do that, will the amount I load on cover both rooms, or just mine and DH's? Can I do it ahead of time to be sneaky, so she doesn't tell me not to?

Hopefully, Mom doesn't read this or recognize me. If she does... Hi, Mom! :blush
You can either call DCL and pay ahead into your onboard account. Or go to the In-Room Gifts section on the DCL website, download the pdf file (gifts order form), and buy OBC to be applied to your room.

Just had a thought: if you used a TA to make the reservations, you'd have to go through them to add cash to your onboard account ahead of time. But you could still purchase OBC using the form on the website.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 02-05-2014 at 05:22 PM.
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
SacCruiser
Earning My Ears

You can also bring cash and have guest services add it directly to your room account.

1st DCL:
December 14th 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
2nd DCL:
November 28th, 2015, Fantasy Western Caribbean
SacCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacCruiser View Post
You can also bring cash and have guest services add it directly to your room account.
This is what I'd prefer to do. It seems like the easiest route to take. I just wasn't sure if, since our reservation is linked, it would just go to our room or cover both rooms. Thanks !

FairyDawn on Etsy
Old 02-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missypyxi View Post
This is what I'd prefer to do. It seems like the easiest route to take. I just wasn't sure if, since our reservation is linked, it would just go to our room or cover both rooms. Thanks !
You can specifically earmark it for their cabin. Just go to the guest service and tell them you want to add x amount of dollars to cabin xxxx's account.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Just my 2 cents. Let her enjoy what she can do for you. There will be a time in the not too distant future where she will need your help and then you can say Mom remember all the wonderful things you did for our family let me help you now.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
Just my 2 cents. Let her enjoy what she can do for you. There will be a time in the not too distant future where she will need your help and then you can say Mom remember all the wonderful things you did for our family let me help you now.
I agree and have been in your shoes with my own grandparents. I didn't get how happy it made them to do these things for us. We buried my grandfather in Arlington last week and my grandmother talked and talked about the trips we all went on as a family with him. Just let her do it

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 June 6 days akv- club level March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 3 days Grand Floridian Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I agree with the sentiment, but on the other side of the coin, sometimes it's nice to have a little of our own money on the account to buy things that you would never ask someone else to buy you. Whenever my mother visits, she insists on taking everyone to dinner- I want to let her do that but at the same time I just don't feel right ordering an appetizer, main, dessert, that extra glass of wine, etc on the tab like I would if I was paying. Completely fine when it's one dinner but on a cruise I would understand wanting a little money so I don't feel guilty getting an extra drink or buying some great but pricey souvenir.
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
emsmomma
Mouseketeer

Do you have to use a debit/credit card to pay my account or can I write a check? I'm worried about my daily balance with my debit card
emsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
DeJoTAGandKP
Earning My Ears

Quote:
is this mom??? lol

Disney Wonder Western Caribbean 10/26/14

DeJoTAGandKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #11
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsmomma View Post
Do you have to use a debit/credit card to pay my account or can I write a check? I'm worried about my daily balance with my debit card
You can use cash, I'm not sure about a check but they do cash checks at Guest Services so that is probably acceptable as well. No requirement to have a debit/credit card attached.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
cmurray234
DIS Veteran

It's nice to hear of a good MIL-DIL relationship. I'm a little jealous, actually. I don't get on well with my MIL. I have to work very hard just to keep things civil.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your trip.
cmurray234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJoTAGandKP View Post
is this mom??? lol
LOL Sounds a lot like something she'd say, but I don't think so! Thanks, everyone, for all of the good advice and great information. I have a few months to decide what we'll do

FairyDawn on Etsy
Old 02-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

You can pay cash for stuff onboard, too, right? Like in the gift shops? I'd go that route and let the MIL pay for the rest She sounds awesome!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #15
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdogs42 View Post
You can pay cash for stuff onboard, too, right? Like in the gift shops? I'd go that route and let the MIL pay for the rest She sounds awesome!
Don't know about the gift shops as we used our KTTW card there but the rest of the ship is cashless so if you want to play bingo or order a drink from a roving server you would hand over your card then they swipe it and hand it right back.

I am still new but aside from our experience it seems like I read about the cashless system on the DCL website FAQs l.
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: