Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
D Land Fan
Earning My Ears

WDW Honeymoon

Hi Everyone, we have been to Disneyland many times but never WDW. We are looking to go for our honeymoon but I'm not sure how to go about planning. We are looking to go at the end of Oct into early Nov and I was just wondering if and when Disney releases any deals that they are going to do. Also we were throwing around the idea that one of us would get an AP so we can save on things like the hotel room ( I know at Dland you save if you have an AP but is this also true at WDW). We are a little lost as you can see, any info would be wonderful thanks!!
D Land Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Hi And welcome to the DIS!

They usually release discounts for Oct.-Nov. around Aug. 1st. Yes, there are usually room discounts for AP holders. A good place to do some research on current and historical discounts is:

http://www.mousesavers.com/walt-disn...scounts-codes/

Also check out the Discount section of the DIS located here:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Happy Planning!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #3
D Land Fan
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the welcome and the information!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #4
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Land Fan View Post
Thank you for the welcome and the information!
You're welcome. Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Hi Everyone, we have been to Disneyland many times but never WDW. We are looking to go for our honeymoon but I'm not sure how to go about planning. We are looking to go at the end of Oct into early Nov and I was just wondering if and when Disney releases any deals that they are going to do. Also we were throwing around the idea that one of us would get an AP so we can save on things like the hotel room ( I know at Dland you save if you have an AP but is this also true at WDW). We are a little lost as you can see, any info would be wonderful thanks!!
Congratulations. We honeymooned at WDW in 2007 after having our wedding at the Grand Californian, so we come form a similar perspective.

One thing you might want to consider is that you can apply the cost of your package park tickets to a Premier annual pass that is good at both DL and WDW. We found this actually saved us money over just renewing DL passes. You could also just purchase Premier passes outright if you don't do a package. Depending on whether you want DL APs it might be something to look at.

We had a great time honeymooning at WDW. Besides the fun of the theme parks, we enjoyed the peace and quiet of walking through Fort Wilderness. There is something for everybody, and the most amazing thing about WDW to us is its size. Everything is so massive and spread out that it really impressed us.

Last year fall deals were announced less than 6 months ahead of time, which was after the opening of the ADR window. If there are specific restaurants that you'd like to eat at, it is good to have your reservations and make your ADRs as soon as possible, which is 180 days from the beginning of your trip. Also Disney is great about allowing you to switch to a discounted package once they come out, even if you're already booked. Happy planning.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

Also, annual pass holders are entitled to purchase a Tables In Wonderland card. I think it costs something like $100 or so, but it takes 20% off your sit down meals and then they add 18% tip automatically. We usually tip 20% and round up, but when we have the Tables In Wonderland card, we just pay the amount that it automatically comes to. So, it saves us a bundle.

Only one of you would need an annual pass to purchase and use this for the both of you.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:54 AM   #7
D Land Fan
Earning My Ears

Thank you all for the info, so much to learn! Do most of you book through the disney website yourself or use travel agents. I spoke to some in town here and they werent very "up" on disney deals or the parks in general. We are nervous to book to early and miss deals but we dont want to be too late, is it easy to have your package adjusted if a deal is released after you book?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:52 AM   #8
Hayley222
Earning My Ears

Congratulations
We had our honeymoon at the Caribbean beach resort , it was wonderful. Wdw is a great place for a honeymoon
Hayley222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Something else to consider would be to look into renting DVC points. Since they are only 2 of you, you can fit in a studio easily and those can be very cheap..usually a bit cheaper than a moderate hotel, even with the discount. It's a way to stay at a deluxe resort without paying crazy prices. However, Oct/Nov is a VERY popular time for DVC owners so you would want to get started on the process ASAP. There is a rent/trade board here that has a sticky with all the info you need to understand how it works. Anyway, just another option.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you all for the info, so much to learn! Do most of you book through the disney website yourself or use travel agents.
Personally, I prefer to use the website to play around with different packages, dates, discounts, etc. And then I call to book. I don't like using a travel agent as I prefer to do it myself. I enjoy the planning and like to be able to make any changes myself instead of relying on someone else. Just a personal preference.

Quote:
I spoke to some in town here and they werent very "up" on disney deals or the parks in general. We are nervous to book to early and miss deals but we dont want to be too late, is it easy to have your package adjusted if a deal is released after you book?
It is very easy to apply a discount to your package. You may have to switch to a different room category in order to get the deal. But if there's availability it's real easy to do.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
D Land Fan
Earning My Ears

I'm starting to feel a little more confident that maybe I can book this myself. I was a little annoyed that the travel agents here just throw a basic package together and add an extra 15% more than what I can book if for through Disney...and I can upgrade my room and add different Disney experiences that I see on the website. A quick question about POP, in yours guys' experience, is it worth upgrading to a preferred room? I had a couple tell me that it puts you way closer to the transportation station as well as the food court.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm starting to feel a little more confident that maybe I can book this myself. I was a little annoyed that the travel agents here just throw a basic package together and add an extra 15% more than what I can book if for through Disney...and I can upgrade my room and add different Disney experiences that I see on the website.
And the DIS is always here to help you out along the way! You find some of the most WDW knowledgeable people here. More so than some CM's.

Quote:
A quick question about POP, in yours guys' experience, is it worth upgrading to a preferred room? I had a couple tell me that it puts you way closer to the transportation station as well as the food court.
IMHO, I would not spend the extra $$ for a preferred room. See the map below for where the preferred rooms are located. They are where the yellow lines are. To me Pop is not that big to warrant a preferred room.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...-PREFERRED.jpg
Old 02-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
I'm starting to feel a little more confident that maybe I can book this myself. I was a little annoyed that the travel agents here just throw a basic package together and add an extra 15% more than what I can book if for through Disney...and I can upgrade my room and add different Disney experiences that I see on the website. A quick question about POP, in yours guys' experience, is it worth upgrading to a preferred room? I had a couple tell me that it puts you way closer to the transportation station as well as the food court.
You can do it! We book our trips ourselves direct with Disney. By researching online (with the help of the DIS) you'll know way more than most travel agents. You can make individual decisions as to what is worth it to you.

Along those lines, you can choose whether a shorter walk is worth the extra price to you, but we probably wouldn't pay the extra at POP either.

As far as applying discounts later, it is super easy to call Disney back as soon as a promotion comes out and they will work with you to see if you can apply it. The call center staff is super helpful, and makes it so easy that I wouldn't even consider using a travel agent for Disney. There's no disadvantage to booking early.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Congratulations!
Old 02-08-2014, 01:18 AM   #15
D Land Fan
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the map! that really puts the walk into perspective. Does anyone have any info about the memory maker, it looks like it would be a great thing for 150 dollars. I'm sorry to ask so many questions but you all respond so quickly and with honest opinions etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: