Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
mtchurchmonica
Poster formerly known as yazee1

Have you been confronted about having your own beer?

I just learned, after reading another thread about beer on the Fantasy, that dh has been breaking the DCL rules every time he drank his own beer in the public areas of a DCL ship. Oops. We didn't know that was against the rules, but now we do. I'm wondering, has anyone here has ever been confronted by a CM for drinking his or her own beer in a public area?

DCL - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, (upcoming) 2014
NCL Pearl 2010,
CCL Pride 2012, 2013
mtchurchmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
cruisinwithmaandpa
Happiness is being grandparents

Not one word has ever been brought up to us.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover. - Mark Twain
cruisinwithmaandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Well, now you know the policy. We can discuss about whether the policy is clearly communicated or not, or even if it's fair or not, but judging from the first response, this thread will soon deteriorate into an "it's OK to break the rules because no one has ever said anything to me," thread. Like so many other rules DCL clearly states (saving seats in the Walt Disney Theater, leaving your things on loungers around the pools, etc.), it's a rule and everyone should follow it.

Happy cruising!
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

No, we have never been approached. We had to learn elsewhere as well.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Well now that we know there is a rule...what is the possibility that if enough people break it, or obviously plan to break it, that DCL will withdraw or change its very very liberal "outside alcohol" policy rather than openly confront guests aboard ship? Disney doesn't like confrontation.

There are other cruise lines that will confiscate any alcohol you try to bring onboard.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
ahain
Thankful & Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Well now that we know there is a rule...what is the possibility that if enough people break it, or obviously plan to break it, that DCL will withdraw or change its very very liberal "outside alcohol" policy rather than openly confront guests aboard ship? Disney doesn't like confrontation.

There are other cruise lines that will confiscate any alcohol you try to bring onboard.
I pondered this same thing....if enough people are "breaking the rules" DCL could just say "no more alcohol brought on board" and that will be that!
Disney Wonder - Alaska - 6/2015 ......Disney Dream - 4 night Bahamas - 4/2015...Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2014...Disney Fantasy - 7 night Eastern Caribbean - 4/2014 .....Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2012
ahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
ocspartan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post

True Disney doesn't like confrontation, hence the soft handling of other sensitive rules.... but what Disney doesn't like more is losing revenue... I'm sure if a handful of people are walking around with a bottle from home 1) CM's won't be sure if it's from the bar or from home 2) not worth the confrontation since it's isolated... but if people are bringing coolers and appearing openly drunk and handing out drinks like a tailgate then you'd probably see a quick change to the rules
ocspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocspartan View Post
True Disney doesn't like confrontation, hence the soft handling of other sensitive rules.... but what Disney doesn't like more is losing revenue... I'm sure if a handful of people are walking around with a bottle from home 1) CM's won't be sure if it's from the bar or from home 2) not worth the confrontation since it's isolated... but if people are bringing coolers and appearing openly drunk and handing out drinks like a tailgate then you'd probably see a quick change to the rules
It's my understanding, that's part of the reason that coolers were finally banned. People were bringing them to the pool/Castaway Cay and having their own little parties.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

I really don't understand why people can't just follow rules. Why do they have to be confronted in order to comply. Nothing good comes from breaking rules.......
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
I really don't understand why people can't just follow rules. Why do they have to be confronted in order to comply. Nothing good comes from breaking rules.......
In our instance, we knew we were allowed to bring it from home and did not know that the areas for consumption were limited. The first thing we saw about it within the first hour we were on our first sailing was someone with a rolling bag full of liquor at the drink station pouring some rum into a coke. We laughed at it, since there was a CM standing right next to him, and assumed it was fine. We found out later on after we were home that you are supposed to keep it to your room - not because we were told so from a CM. I chose to simply answer the question rather than explain myself in the hopes that this wouldn't become a finger pointing debate.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I carried my DCL souvenir cup ALL over the ship, it never left my hand. (Still never does! I even like to drink water out of it!)

Anyway, we were discreet and didn't bring whole bottles of wine with us or anything. If you don't cause a problem, no one cares. Not even our waiter, when we brought glasses of wine from our stash up to the dining rooms with us. Mom & dad found a left over 6 pack in their fridge when they embarked! Ha. We divvied them up and took them to the show with us, etc.

Some people bring their own cups. Really, there isn't a way to know what is in your cup, but don't bring a six pack up on deck with you. As long as it is individual, no one seemed to bat an eye, not once to us, anyway.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
DisneYE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtchurchmonica View Post
I just learned, after reading another thread about beer on the Fantasy, that dh has been breaking the DCL rules every time he drank his own beer in the public areas of a DCL ship. Oops. We didn't know that was against the rules, but now we do. I'm wondering, has anyone here has ever been confronted by a CM for drinking his or her own beer in a public area?
IMO, IF you plan on drinking LOTS of beer (i.e: bringing some at embarkation, buying some more on POC's, etc) here's what you should do:

- Spend $15 on a DCL mug.
- Drink the beer they pour in it when you buy it.
- Proceed to fill said mug with your own "imported" beer.
- Rinse. Repeat. Carry mug around ship.
- DCL's is happy as you're abiding by their rules
- You are happy for the best $15 spent on board.
- Everybody's happy

Happy cruisin'
Old 02-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
Maza
Mouseketeer

In eight cruises I have never seen anyone haul a cooler poolside or to castaway key.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #14
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maza View Post
In eight cruises I have never seen anyone haul a cooler poolside or to castaway key.
I have on a few different DCL cruises. Some people think they are tailgating!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
mtchurchmonica
Poster formerly known as yazee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLightyearInTampa View Post
Well, now you know the policy. We can discuss about whether the policy is clearly communicated or not, or even if it's fair or not, but judging from the first response, this thread will soon deteriorate into an "it's OK to break the rules because no one has ever said anything to me," thread.

Happy cruising!
You have insured that.

Quote:
No, we have never been approached. We had to learn elsewhere as well.
Quote:
... we.. did not know that the areas for consumption were limited. The first thing we saw about it within the first hour we were on our first sailing was someone with a rolling bag full of liquor at the drink station pouring some rum into a coke. We laughed at it, since there was a CM standing right next to him, and assumed it was fine. We found out later on after we were home that you are supposed to keep it to your room - not because we were told so from a CM.
I appreciate all the responses to my question, especially the ones that answer it. Maybe, I should have set this up as a poll. It wasn't my intention to start a debate. That isn't to say I don't enjoy witnessing one once it starts.

DCL - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, (upcoming) 2014
NCL Pearl 2010,
CCL Pride 2012, 2013
mtchurchmonica is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: